--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Poxnor: 2014-06-08 09:36:24 am
Moo! Flap! Hug!
Here it is, the C4L2014 feedback thread.

First off, I'd like to start by thanking all of the attendees, and everyone who supported us.  Thank you for making another year a great success! Smiley

Some things went right.  Some things went wrong.  Some things were contentious.  Let's deal with each in turn.

What went right

(1) Sound.  Thank you, Cool Matty!  The sound quality of C4L2014 was about 100x the sound quality of C4L2013.  I know there were some concerns about the balance and volume, but that can be adjusted if need be in future years (this is the point of a mixer board).  Quite frankly, this is something we got right this year, and it's something we can build on in future years now that we have the proper equipment.  I'm open to buying one more lavalier if people want to be able to have three commentators plus the gamer, all at once (especially with the two-couch setup, which may or may not happen next year).

(2) Variety.  Expanding C4L from an FF marathon to an RPG marathon was a good call.  I don't want to open it further.  C4L has the potential to fill a niche for games that would otherwise have no marathon home.  I think we should build on our success as an RPG marathon.

(3) The bigger venue.  It allowed us to grow.  There's no way we could have hosted this many people and this much equipment at my place in Edmonton, even if I still lived in Edmonton.  Let's keep on growing.

(4) Our relationship with JDRF and the hotel.  It was JDRF that put the coffee and doughnuts on the table each morning (through their relationship with Tim Hortons, who donated the yummies).  JDRF arranged to have our banquet donated.  The hotel would be more than happy to have us back, and encouraged us to book there again next year.  We made great progress this year in solidifying ourselves as a reputable group with whom to work.

(5) Sponsorship.  I know some people hoped we would raise more.  But, let's be realistic -- we were cold calling companies.  Yet, we still got multiple restaurants to donate meals, and companies to put up cash to cut our costs.  I call that a success.

(6) The tech crew.  Frick, you people were amazing!  Working late into the night, fixing problems I couldn't even have foreseen.  You were amazing, and I would very humbly like to thank you.

(7) The hotel tech crew, namely Nick.  If you weren't on-site, you never would have seen him.  He was the ghost in the back making sure the network kept running.  If you were on-site, you know what I'm talking about.

(8) Setting up a broadcast in the bar downstairs.  What a Poxnor thing to say Tongue  But this was a huge success.  I can't believe how much money we raised and how much interest we garnered by streaming C4L2014 in the bar downstairs.  Plus, there was the unforeseen benefit that players could go grab a bite to eat before their game, and see where the previous player was in their game while eating.

What went wrong

(1) Commentary.  Commentary substantially degraded compared to C4L2013, and RPGs need amazing commentary to be great marathon runs.  There were two factors at play: (a) a wider range of games meant that we didn't have as many people who could easily commentate any game (e.g., I don't speedrun every FF game, but I could easily drop onto the couch and commentate any FF game; put me in front of an SO or KH game, and I have no clue what's happening) and; (b) last minute changes to the schedule (quite frankly, there's nothing we could have done about this -- people dropping out with weeks to go until the event necessitated last-minute schedule changes).  Next year, we need to put more emphasis on finding commentators for each game, and making sure they either learn that game, or at least know what questions to ask to make interesting commentary.  Perhaps skilled commentators (e.g., Raelcun) could teach other people, who know a given game but have never commentated it, the basics of good commentary?

(2) Prizes and other workflow issues.  There should have been printed instructions about what to do at every game change -- changing the Twitch game name, drawing prizes, etc.  Ultimately, we were too disorganized to make things flow smoothly during game changes.  And, prizes are once again a giant mess, since I drew the winners roughly a month late.  My apologies, and I hope this doesn't become a C4L tradition.

(3) The practice room.  For some reason, everyone wanted to hang there instead of being out in the audience and hyping the game being run.  The streaming room was really empty.  I don't have an answer here.  Was the environment in the streaming room not welcoming?

(4) The streaming computer.  The capture card freezing during the marathon is not cool.  Obviously (to those of you who watched my stream last night), I still don't know WTF is happening.  Hopefully, I can have this fixed by C4L2015 Tongue  On one hand, I personally needed to test this rig more before C4L2014; but, I was mimicking the setup used at AGDQ 2014, where there were no problems.  Yet it blew up in my face.  I accept personal responsibility for this one, and I hope people will forgive me.

(5) The equipment list.  It turns out we were missing many cables and adapters on the setup day.  Part of this might have been mitigated with a better equipment list.  On the other hand, it was hard to know exactly what we needed until we were all in the streaming room (part of the problem of me being physically removed from Edmonton).  Seriously, some of our cables were literally 30cm too short.  But, we should try to fix this up for next year.

(6) No French restream.  We experimented with on-site French translation; let's just call that a failure and move on (though, huge kudos to Nicole for trying, and for doing an amazing job promoting JDRF while she was there) -- we knew that this was an experiment going in, and knew its chances of success were up in the air.

(7) My game and runner selection process.  It was overly complicated, convoluted, and confusing (multiple rounds of reviews, etc.).  It was a genuine attempt on my part to be open and transparent in how games were chosen.  In my attempts to my transparent, I actually just became convoluted.  I'll aim for simpler but still transparent next year.

(8) No deposits.  Next year, we need to set up a system of taking deposits, so that people aren't dropping out with a few weeks to go until the event, throwing the schedule into disarray at the last minute.

Points of contention

(1) Twitch chat.  It was sub-only this year -- or, in other words, off.  As far as I'm concerned, this was the right call, and no one (despite many protests) has said anything to convince me that it wasn't the right call.  At C4L2013, the Twitch chat was one of the worst cesspools that I have ever seen.  Racism, naziism, homophobia, transphobia, personal attacks, etc.  We simply didn't have the manpower to moderate it (if such a thing even could have been moderated).  I would very humbly and sincerely like to thank Twitch, because I have been granted sub.  So, next year, the chat will again be sub-only, but people will have the option to sub.  So, this won't be an issue again, and -- unless someone says something terribly profound -- warrants no further discussion.

(2) Being in a hotel.  The one "noise complaint" we received was apparently an over-zealous security guard who was cranky that we were making noise at night, not aware that every single hotel room in the vicinity of the streaming room was occupied by one of us.  Still, it was a worry and a constant concern for me.  Do we want to try to find a convention-style location for next year, where our event is separate from where anyone sleeps?  Or, do we want to build on our association with the Chateau Louis, who were pretty cool to us?

(3) Location.  C4L2015 will happen in either Edmonton, where we've made connections, or Vancouver, where I have the opportunity to be in-town to do little things like arrange hotels in advance.  Vancouver is a shorter drive for the Utah crew, but a longer drive for the Montana crew.  But, Americans also have the option of flying into Seattle or Bellingham and driving across (it's about a 2.5 hr. drive from Seattle or a 1 hr. drive from Bellingham).  I might be able to arrange cheaper accommodations in Vancouver, but I'm not sure at this point.  It would mean starting over with new people, but not with a new charity.  I don't relish the thought of trying to explain to a new person what speedgaming is, and I would sure as hell miss having Driscollad on the ground to help out in the lead-up to the marathon, but I also don't relish the thought of packing the streaming computer and microphones up for another plane flight and trying to plan things from afar again.

Edit: Post away; but, please refrain from personal attacks, and try to make criticism constructive (i.e., not only what we did wrong, but what we could do to make it better).
Thread title:  
I had a blast and thank you Poxnor for allowing me to come and talk some RPGs.  As for comments on myself, I think I did all right for the most part.  I practiced and studied the games.  My biggest fault was the Chrono Cross run for two reason, one being I was sick all day and was falling asleep at the end of the run, and second Raelcun is so amazing at talking about his game that I found myself overwhelmed and dumbfounded at times.  All a learning process.

Being new to marathons I wasn't sure what to expect onsite.  Lots of free food was awesome, but it was all donuts and fruit bars, which I'm not complaining about free food, I gained 14 lbs that week and for someone who has been dieting all year it was a bit rough on me coming home.  Thankfully I got it all off quickly, and big thanks to Tide for the real fruit :).  Maybe look into other options for next year for food sponsorships?  Just me being picky is all. 

Don't really have any other gripes, maybe next year I'll come up with something else.  I just know it was amazing, and depending where I am in my life I will be back next year... this time I will be playing and not just babbling.
Not a walrus
Quote from Poxnor:
(3) The bigger venue.  It allowed us to grow.  There's no way we could have hosted this many people and this much equipment at my place in Edmonton, even if I still lived in Edmonton.  Let's keep on growing.

Highlight of the week was when you forgot this and didn't realize it for about 15 minutes.

I don't have much else to add, though I personally vote for keeping it in Edmonton without a reason other than "Poxnor doesn't want to fly". Wink
Apologies in advance for the epic wall of text. For transparency, this post is based on notes I took while flying back from C4L (on May 5), but the post itself was written today (June 8). Also, the vast majority of my notes were constructive criticism, so this post might seem overly negative. If it does, I apologize - that is definitely not intended, as I thought the marathon went extremely well overall, and I plan to attend next year.

Volunteers:

- We absolutely need to have a shift schedule for volunteer roles next year. Given my multiple 24-hour hosting shifts, it should be obvious why.
- Part and parcel with that, we need to proactively involve more attendees in volunteering.
- If we have time, we should provide training at the start of the marathon. All the roles are pretty easy to do with instruction.
- Hosts need access to more pre-canned info about the marathon, prizes, etc. the same as we had for JDRF. e.g. Where does the ad revenue during the stream go, sub revenue, etc.?
- As a practical matter, it may be useful to have a fixed way for hosts to signal to runners that there are donations available to read. Unlike a GDQ, where there are literally always donations to read, at our event it's always awkward to have the runner say "we have time for some donations" and the host has nothing to say.

Schedule:

- Scheduling short games in the dead of night is not ideal. The low initial viewer count disadvantages them in terms of exposure, and they don't last long enough to overcome that by drawing in viewers over time. Also, as a nod to the tech staff, it's preferable to minimize the number of game switches while the skeleton night crew is on duty.
- Games with lots of donation incentives generally need to be later in the marathon if it's reasonable to do so. (FF4 and FFCC: Crystal Bearers were both affected by this.)
- Short games don't really need rolling incentives. In addition to such runs usually having enough for the runner to deal with in a short time anyway, there's also the fact that there isn't really enough time for a meaningful back-and-forth to occur in donations.
- More incentives is not always better.

Atmosphere:

- Empty room is bad. This was particularly exacerbated by the sheer size of the marathon room and the number of empty chairs. Perhaps if we anticipate this being an issue next year, we can include the tech station on screen to show them at work? I'm not sure if that's better or worse.
- At our current attendance level, it's not a bad idea to include more room noise along with the lavs. At a lot of times during the marathon, we had the room muted, but probably could have gotten away without it.
- Having the practice room next door was less than ideal in terms of noise.
- Having the practice room be a normal hotel room was...unusual. Having a normal room with tables would almost certainly be preferable, though there were some benefits (e.g. dedicated practice bathroom, lol).

Food:

- The sheer number of meals that were catered for us was amazing. I know this will get harder to sustain as we get more attendees, but it worked out very well this year.
- To echo what Highspirits said, some more healthy options (e.g. fruit) would be even better.
- Generally attendees were very good about cleaning up after themselves, except in the practice room at the beginning of the marathon. Fortunately, that improved during the week.

Timing:

- We can't really control other events, so I'm not sure there's anything we can do about the eighty events that all occurred the same weekend as us.
- Starting on a weekday is not optimal in terms of hype and viewership.
- This is a rather personal gripe...the Tuesday through Sunday timing is super awkward in terms of taking time off if you want to attend the entire marathon. Basically this cost me an extra PTO day when I'm already really short on PTO from attending GDQs. It would be optimal if we could use weekends as travel time for this.

Runs:

- I haven't heard any complaints from Puwexil and Essentia, but I feel that they were subjected to too much pressure with the late additions of extra runs for both of them. Obviously, late additions were necessary, but perhaps we could have distributed that load a little more.
- There was a lot of great participation from runners in donation incentive hype.
- Estimates were almost universally terrible (myself included). This is an RPG marathon - above and beyond the fact that a million things can go wrong in most RPGs, we also basically always let the credits play out. Also, we did not do a good job of managing the schedule, because we didn't keep clear track (other than on Poxnor's laptop) of the current progress of the schedule.
- We may wish to estimate setup separately, and be aware of transitions between consoles and to/from PC.

Organization:

- Detailed marathon info arrived way too late. Puwexil's early price estimate was accurate, but speculative. Definitive info needs to be provided by marathon organizers as early as is feasible. While I know a lot of stuff was happening behind the scenes, the lack of info for runners contributed to an air of uncertainty even up to the week before the marathon.
- Equipment was insufficiently planned. This was covered fairly well in the first post. Part of the problem was not setting up until the day the marathon began, which left us scrambling about trying to find cables in less than four hours at one point.
- There was basically no plan about actually running the stream (i.e. hosting, updating stream title/game, managing chat, running ads, exactly); or, if there was, it was not adequately communicated about.
- Basically communication from the organizers to the attendees needs to improve a lot. Organizers could plan for at least a weekly update during the planning process to ensure that attendees are kept in the loop about what they need to know.

Chat:

Well, I'm just going to say it: we should use Twitch chat. Let me lay out some reasons that we should do so:

- Twitch is a major avenue of promoting our event, and viewers coming to us through Twitch will first [and only] see our Twitch stream, not our website.
- SpeedRunsLive is also a major avenue of promoting our event within our community, and viewers watching on SRL will also first see our Twitch stream, not our website.
- Chat is sticky; that is, it creates attachment in viewers. Seeing an active chat and having the option to participate entices a casual viewer to join in, and thereby increases our viewer count.
- Participation in chat increases feelings of participation in the event, which can increase likelihood to donate. (Particularly for hyped incentives like Demon Chocobo.)
- More viewership increases our visibility, which increases our viewership. It's a self-feeding cycle.
- More viewership results in more donations.

There is nothing prohibiting us from having extremely strict rules about what flies in our chat. We can manage these rules with proper bot usage and judicious application of chat moderators. Moderating both chats should be an on-site, scheduled volunteer position; we can't just count on DJTifaheart to be up at all hours again. I sincerely believe not having Twitch chat does more harm than good for us. As long as we're hosting the stream on Twitch, we're going to have a huge number of viewers coming through that page who never click through to our website, and it's in our interest to do what it takes to capture them.

I don't believe any of this meets the "ground-breaking" criterion laid out in the first post. However, I think there is a tendency of folks who have been burned by Twitch chat to feel overly negative towards it, much the same that some folks are overly attached to Twitch chat. Twitch chat can be a cesspool, but it can also be a vehicle of hype, and with proper effort we can harness that power to benefit JDRF.

Tech:

- The gaming PC situation will most likely need some love for next marathon, depending on game offers. Many thanks to Ginzuishou for the use of her machine, but we will probably want something a little more clean and stable. Wink
- The streaming PC had not been sufficiently tested prior to the marathon. Notably, the capture card had serious issues capturing all types of inputs (both HD and SD, contrary to what we thought at times during the event). I won't dwell on this overmuch, as Poxnor is well aware of this.
- There was insufficient discipline on restarting the stream recording. Having a checklist of things to do between each run would have helped a lot.
- There was, however, great interaction between the tech and couch folks in terms of getting games running, and cutting lavs when necessary (e.g. for people to get up for breaks).
- Mic discipline was very good in general (not clapping too loud near mics, being aware when mics were on, making sure mics were on/off at the right times, etc.).
- The lavs worked great, except there was one mysterious gain issue with one lav picking up noise from very far away for reasons we couldn't understand. A fourth lav would probably be good for C4L 2015, too.

- The streaming room was fantastic. It was spacious, had great atmosphere, and the layout worked well for our needs.
- Well, except the one nitpick: the windows facing the morning sun with no covering were kinda irritating.
- As mentioned before, having the practice room next door created some sound issues, and having it be a hotel room was somewhat awkward too.
- To be honest, when I went to the downstairs bar, it wasn't actually clear to me that they were providing any special support to us other than having us on a couple TV screens. I didn't see any signage throughout the hotel about our event, let alone in the bar. Perhaps this was just poor timing on my part.

Miscellaneous:

- I think it's time to consider switching off of Poxnor's personal Twitch channel. Separating the channel could make managing the sub revenue (if, for example, we want all subscriptions during the marathon to go to the charity) a little easier, and same goes for ad revenue (again, if we want to do that).
- There wasn't a lot of plugging prizes during the marathon. (Except for one in particular, obviously. Wink
- We need to find ways to attract non-runner attendees as well as runners. Partly, this will happen naturally as the event grows, but we also need to figure out what it takes to incentivize more folks to attend.
- Regarding the live translator...well, there was basically no time to prepare and I don't think Nicole was really provided any serious guidance on what was expected of her (by JDRF or by us). If this is something we want to try again, there needs to be prep time at least a full day in advance, and the person doing the translating almost certainly needs to be a gamer at least (and possibly familiar with the specific game in question).
- That said, JDRF's involvement, overall, was fantastic.
- The hotel staff were also fantastic.
Formerly known as Skullboy
As a viewer of C4L, I liked the design of the website and I really liked the variety in RPGs. You all did a great job and I am sure that C4L 2015 will be just as good or better.

My only point of criticism is that I noticed that some of the runners kept saying things along the lines of "In a serious attempt/run..." and while I know that marathon runs generally aren't WR setting runs due to the factors of donation incentives, luck/RNG, etc, a marathon run is in itself still serious in that it is representative of a (hopefully) good speedrun of the game even if it's not WR. I know runners put in their best for marathon runs but hearing "in a serious attempt..." a lot tends to start sounding like "this run isn't WR pace/ it's a bad run" after a while.

Overall I enjoyed the marathon and there are a lot of RPG's I need to play now that I never tried before. Good job everyone.
Moo! Flap! Hug!
Quote from UraniumAnchor:
Highlight of the week was when you forgot [that you didn't live in Edmonton anymore] and didn't realize it for about 15 minutes.

It would have been better had I parked on the driveway of my old home, then wondered where I put my keys.  Sorry to disappoint Wink
To add into this as being my first year at a marathon, so please take my critique with a grain of salt where needed, but I did see somethings prior and during marathon time that could have been improved on and should be for 2015.

First of all, I apologize for my crappy PC. It worked well prior to the marathon and I apologize for it's cleanliness and lack of performance if that was an issue.

Our organization really needs to be improved on. Before the marathon, we had a sponsor that was willing to get us all the cables, cameras, routers, cords we could imagine for free. However, the list of items was never finalized and thus never passed on to the sponsor. This would have saved Driscollad a ton of headaches (and his own money) of having to run to the store to get an hdmi cable, audio connectors and all the other random crap he had to run and get last minute.

I had no idea I even was supplying the gaming PC till I was already at the hotel getting people to sign waivers and handing out the security badges. Driscollad had to run me back to my house to get the gaming PC and even then we forgot the power cord.

One person had a food allergy that no one really knew about until I heard about it and made it known to JDRF. In the future, dietary concerns should be promptly told to an organizer (possibly during registration next year or in a pm to an organizer) so those affected don't have to sit and watch other people stuff their faces for free and then have to go feed themselves on their own dime, which did happen a few times.

Other than the mystery prize, no other prizes were really plugged like at all. We probably lost out on a lot of donations being that we'd have the prizes listed for the games but no one would talk about them or even mention to hit up the tracker and look at the prizes available. We should focus more on hyping the prizes and what blocks the prizes are for. 

Incentives worked well for the most part imo. Yes, we started throwing things in randomly just for fun near the end, but there were a bunch of incentives that could have been listed at slightly a higher price and they still would have been met. Caracarn's runs for example. His followers would have donated whatever price we set to put that helmet on his head and people would have donated more than what we set as a limit to have the train suplexed. Incentives needed to be hyped more by the host. We had train suplex's incentive met early even though FF6 was the last game of the marathon when other incentives that were approaching sooner were never met. Vulajin did an awesome job trying to fill in the gaps of this when he could.

We did have fruit available, however it was put in the restaurant's fridge as we did not have access to the fridge in the kitchenette the first day and pretty much slipped our minds until the last day of the marathon. If anything happens during the marathon, please grab an organizer (this year was Poxnor, Poxwife, Driscollad and I onsite and DJTifaheart not on site) and ask and we shall fix. I hope we did a decent enough job this year. On a side note, I plan on being a whole lot more organized next year if Poxnor still wants the help =) *hint hint*

Agreeing with Vulajin, we need more people involved and we need to come up with a schedule for hosting and donation stations.  There were numerous times where we'd have no one on hosting but have 5 people doing donations. The only time we ever needed that many people on donations was in the last hours of FF6.

On a prior marathon note, we need to do a little more in terms of advertising, which as far as I know this year was pretty much nothing that JDRF didn't help with. In my mind, we didn't get C4L the hype it deserved. We should start a few days prior, get on the news again, be in the Journal, Sun and even the Metro which I see tons of people carrying and reading on the bus. Exposure even to those who aren't particularly gamers is not a bad idea because someone will see benefiting Type 1 diabetes and be like hey I'll donate to that because someone I know has it.

I promise my commentating days are over. I'm really sorry Caracarn =(  I was ill prepared and nervous as hell and really could have done a lot better.

Hopefully this all can be seen as positive and not some negative rant, because it's not meant to be. I want what I've seen and experienced make the next C4L even better than this years, and this year's was still good.

Edit history:
AlecK47: 2014-06-08 11:33:17 pm
AlecK47: 2014-06-08 11:32:41 pm
AlecK47: 2014-06-08 11:26:57 pm
AlecK47: 2014-06-08 11:26:34 pm
As with the posts above mine, a lot of this is constructive criticism.  Overall I definitely think the event was a success.

Lack of prize hype was easily one of the biggest deficiencies as compared to the first C4L.  I could have done more to hype prizes when I was out there, and I really should have studied what the prizes were for each game much closer.  Having most of the prizes on-site to show last year helped greatly, but there's no reason we can't improve how we handle it even if we don't have the prizes on hand.

Having enough monitors with normal resolutions available for the PC game/practice computers at any given moment is probably the biggest issue I actually have to add.  When we set up Mass Effect on the computer, the monitor used at that point used a very strange resolution that completely threw off the controls when I tested the game.  I wasn't able to fine-tune things to quite the extent I would have liked, and even on a normal monitor the mouse ended up feeling ever so slightly more sensitive than I was used to during my run (about one notch on the mouse sensitivity settings in terms of feel - easy to compensate for but not ideal).

Streaming on a subbed twitch channel should be nothing but a boon in that it allows the added control of sub mode (which I think should be used judiciously, but is far preferable to simply disabling twitch chat regardless of the approach chosen).  I'd even go so far as to say that if we can't get a subbed channel specifically for C4L in the future, Poxnor's channel would be better for this reason alone.

More people should be in the streaming room more often, and I think we should never have a complete exodus (as actually happened during a certain very long cutscene).

As the person with the food allergy I have to say that I did mention it in the private thread beforehand, though I could have been more explicit like I was for the first C4L - most people who have such conditions, myself included, typically don't like to make a big deal of it even if they aren't at all ashamed of it.  These are the kind of things that I believe should ideally be lumped in with a general application or request for information.  Having information like that in one place where all organizers can access it will help prevent these issues in the future (though for the record, I really didn't mind that I couldn't eat everything there - I can handle myself).

General organization stuff should be better as a matter of course, but I especially want to emphasize schedules, training sessions and checklists for the tech crew.

Some sort of indicator (which could be as simple as a sheet of paper on a string that can be flipped around) that there are donations to read would be fantastic.

I have no strong feelings one way or another between Edmonton or Vancouver, even though I haven't been to Vancouver before.

Finally, I was OK with how games were selected this time around.  A similar but more streamlined and straightforward process would be fine by me.
As a watcher but not attendee of C4L, some echoing criticism:
1.  As mentioned by others, there was often very few people there to commentate each game, which hurt the hype.  And then, to make it worse, for some games, the talk was constantly about things OTHER than the game.  I greatly enjoyed the Lost Odyssey run, for example, but there were large portions where things were actually HAPPENING that the commentators were instead talking about Meta and him being a pony.  There should be at least ONE commentator, if not two, at all times and preferably at least one spectator at all times if possible just to make it look more interesting - even if only to ask questions.  Yet for certain games (Crystal Chronicles, Lost Oddysey) at times, there was only the runner there at certain points - which hurt the hype and made it quite awkward.

2.  Too many incentives - You can always ADD incentives if you're meeting them too quickly.  But having too many incentives makes it so that less get met, especially for lesser known games.  Also, no silly impromptu incentives (Meta as pony) if you're struggling to meet game incentives - game incentives lead to more hype which leads to more donations.  Meta being a pony leads to people finding you randomly on twitch thinking you guys are weird. 

3.  Prizes weren't really talked about at all, which was a shame.  Maybe have at least one prize there to show off at the site even if that's a pain? 

Overall, the marathon was great, and I'm still watching parts of it from the archive.  But I think there are definitely improvements that can help it raise even more money so that it can meet its goal next year.
Viewer, not attendee.  Full disclosure: I've only been watching speedrunning for the last year and the only marathons I've seen are AGDQ'14 and C4L'14, so my viewing experience may be limited in comparison, ergo, my constructive criticism could be heavily skewed.

1. Need more people in the viewing room.  It is really awkward for me to turn on the stream and only see the runner and one couch-buddy in the room.  It gives me the impression that this is a less important run and not worth my time to tune in for.  Maybe incentive the viewing room for attendees by doing things like fun little raffles or maybe game trivia during commentary deadspace.  Since C4L is a smaller marathon, maybe encourage interaction between the runner and the viewing room audience with Q&A or something along that line.

2. I really struggled to find info about the prizes on the website.  Maybe I was just bad at navigating it, but I could only find pictures of a couple of the prizes.  This has been said above as well, but pimping out the prizes more and more often during the marathon could have alleviated some of those problems I had.

3. For the runners/commentators: tell me about the story of the game.  If you are playing Final Fantasy 21 the After-Before Years-III and it only came out for one week on the GameCube and I've never heard of it, tell me about what is going on in the game, since you're skipping the cutscenes and text for time.  If your game is 8 hours to run and you can't fill the majority of that time with insightful commentary (which I don't expect you to), fill some of that deadspace by telling me, even if only vaguely or tongue-in-cheek, the story of the game.  Who is this dude you're pushing around and why are you running through this city?  I don't need an in-depth walkthrough of the game, but some context would be helpful, fun and help fill some space.

4. Some people might not want a cramped viewing experience, but I personally would like some onscreen scheduling notifications.  My preference would be "Running Time" (already provided), "Estimated Time," "Next Game: [X]."  It was kinda a hassle to constantly refer back to the schedule page.

As a Seattle'ite I would personally love to see the marathon come to Vancouver.  However, I think the best location would be the one that brings in the most runners and attendees in general to help grow the marathon.

Overall, I loved the marathon and plan to continue checking in on it in future years.  I loved the Yetee shirts and picked up two of them myself as well as donating money to the JDRF.  My company even matched my donation.  Keep up the good work, guys.
Edit history:
MURPHAGATOR!: 2014-06-13 11:38:37 am
MURPHAGATOR!: 2014-06-13 11:37:50 am
Terraffirmative!
Some pretty generous feedback so far. I must say, as someone who has been involved in the process for other marathons as well as a lot of history with fighting game tournament events, watching the progress on C4L was a frightening experience. I’m going try to only address the points you yourself brought up. I’m going to just go ahead and skip the parts that I either agree with or that aren’t saying anything.
Quote from ”Poxnor”:

Uh, grow in what way? If I understand correctly from what I’ve heard and seen, attendance was about the same at the end of the day, and the marathon didn’t even raise as much as last year. The only purpose the bigger venue served was to inflate cost for attendees.  Admittedly, that cost would have been reduced if attendance had met expectations, but those weren’t for reasons I’ll address in response to the next quote.

Quote from ”Poxnor”:
(4) Our relationship with JDRF and the hotel.  It was JDRF that put the coffee and doughnuts on the table each morning (through their relationship with Tim Hortons, who donated the yummies).  JDRF arranged to have our banquet donated.  The hotel would be more than happy to have us back, and encouraged us to book there again next year.  We made great progress this year in solidifying ourselves as a reputable group with whom to work.

Wasn’t the hotel stuff not finalized until something like a month before the marathon? I remember thing being a huge topic of discussion for a long time on people’s streams who were attending and on twitter, but unfortunately those are very difficult places to find records of, and hotel discussion seems to not exist in any public space.

Quote from ”Poxnor”:
(5) Sponsorship.  I know some people hoped we would raise more.  But, let's be realistic -- we were cold calling companies.  Yet, we still got multiple restaurants to donate meals, and companies to put up cash to cut our costs.  I call that a success.

Honestly, sponsorship is one of those things that mostly has to come to you. Prove that you are great, and people will want to sponsor you. At the very least, the message is not to bank on having ANY sponsors unless you’ve received significant sponsorship in the past.

Quote from ”Poxnor”:
(6) The tech crew.  Frick, you people were amazing!  Working late into the night, fixing problems I couldn't even have foreseen.  You were amazing, and I would very humbly like to thank you.

Are these problems like not knowing they are providing equipment? Because this:
Quote from Ginzuishou:
I had no idea I even was supplying the gaming PC till I was already at the hotel getting people to sign waivers and handing out the security badges. Driscollad had to run me back to my house to get the gaming PC and even then we forgot the power cord.

Is honestly one of the scariest things I’ve ever read about a marathon planning failure. This isn’t a situation where he was asked to get a backup or something, but he was not even informed he was supposed to bring it.

Quote from ”Poxnor”:
(4) The streaming computer.  The capture card freezing during the marathon is not cool.  Obviously (to those of you who watched my stream last night), I still don't know WTF is happening.  Hopefully, I can have this fixed by C4L2015    On one hand, I personally needed to test this rig more before C4L2014; but, I was mimicking the setup used at AGDQ 2014, where there were no problems.  Yet it blew up in my face.  I accept personal responsibility for this one, and I hope people will forgive me.

I just want to emphasis exactly how much testing goes on. The marathon computers for AGDQ these days are bought months in advance and stress tested like crazy. It takes a whole lot of time and effort, such that the tech people are generally a different crew of people to keep it going, because the computer HAS to be running 24/7 for a week. And there are always still problems in spite of all this planning and effort. Meanwhile, you are asking for a beginners guide to OBS 3 days before the marathon starts. I take back what I said about Ginzuishou's post, because this blows it out of the water.

Quote from ”Poxnor”:
(5) The equipment list.  It turns out we were missing many cables and adapters on the setup day.  Part of this might have been mitigated with a better equipment list.  On the other hand, it was hard to know exactly what we needed until we were all in the streaming room (part of the problem of me being physically removed from Edmonton).  Seriously, some of our cables were literally 30cm too short.  But, we should try to fix this up for next year.

Going to point back to Ginzuishou’s post again. This is a pretty basic marathon planning step, and while it requires a whole lot of time and effort to get right and mistakes happen, I can’t see any evidence that that planning step was done. Things like cables being too short are parts of things that anyone who’s done tech setups knows, which is that you lose distance on cables due to turns or slack in the line, and having excess cables is just a critical step.

Quote from ”Poxnor”:
(7) My game and runner selection process.  It was overly complicated, convoluted, and confusing (multiple rounds of reviews, etc.).  It was a genuine attempt on my part to be open and transparent in how games were chosen.  In my attempts to my transparent, I actually just became convoluted.  I'll aim for simpler but still transparent next year.

Again this might be a case of I can’t find evidence because it’s happening behind closed doors, but…. Wait hold on, where exactly IS the transparency in the game selection? As a person who’s in the public and not an attendee, I can’t find any real evidence that any deliberation took place, which is exactly the opposite of a transparent process.
This is expounded by the fact that your own personal presence during the planning phase was extremely haphazard.  I’d like to point to these three posts. There two apologizes for prolonged, unexplained abscenses and only one post between them over the course of a month during a critical phase of planning. I’m not saying I expect people to be available every moment, but this is a pretty clear problem in the planning process.

Quote from ”Poxnor”:
(8) No deposits.  Next year, we need to set up a system of taking deposits, so that people aren't dropping out with a few weeks to go until the event, throwing the schedule into disarray at the last minute.

Just throwing it out there, but maybe if people had a hotel cost and could plan around said costs before the month of the marathon for an international trip, they would be more prone to make plans they could stick to. I mean at the very least, I would not be prepared to let people make a deposit on something before the final cost is known. Regardless, marathon drops have always been a part of what happens in planning.  Life happens, and trying to strong-arm people into committing to a charity event that they have to attend on their own dime is pretty rude.

Quote from ”Poxnor”:
Points of contention

(1) Twitch chat.  It was sub-only this year -- or, in other words, off.  As far as I'm concerned, this was the right call, and no one (despite many protests) has said anything to convince me that it wasn't the right call.  At C4L2013, the Twitch chat was one of the worst cesspools that I have ever seen.  Racism, naziism, homophobia, transphobia, personal attacks, etc.  We simply didn't have the manpower to moderate it (if such a thing even could have been moderated).  I would very humbly and sincerely like to thank Twitch, because I have been granted sub.  So, next year, the chat will again be sub-only, but people will have the option to sub.  So, this won't be an issue again, and -- unless someone says something terribly profound – warrants no further discussion.

I’m glad that your point of contention warrants no further discussion. Honestly I don’t really care about twitch chat at all, but C4L2013 twitch chat was honestly pretty tame from my memory. A few personal attacks happened, but this is the internet, people are going to make personal attacks. The longer you dwell on them, the more they are going to happen. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t buy the ‘get thicker skin, grin and bear it’ argument either, but a simple quiet ban by a moderator and moving on will get through sooner or later, and things like sub mode can always be used as a fallback in the situation where chat gets completely out of hand.
Also, before I move on, why exactly is C4L being held on your personal channel? A marathon channel such as the SDAmarathon channel is extremely easy to setup and is a much more transparent and comprehendible setting for a large marathon like that. Small casual marathons over a weekend work well on a personal channel, but a large in-person production really merits a more professional setting. Drawing prizes on stream while having people watch you do a run of your game is also a pretty shoddy move in my personal opinion.
Quote from ”Poxnor”:
(2) Being in a hotel.  The one "noise complaint" we received was apparently an over-zealous security guard who was cranky that we were making noise at night, not aware that every single hotel room in the vicinity of the streaming room was occupied by one of us.  Still, it was a worry and a constant concern for me.  Do we want to try to find a convention-style location for next year, where our event is separate from where anyone sleeps?  Or, do we want to build on our association with the Chateau Louis, who were pretty cool to us?

I don’t really understand the problem you had here. One minor complaint that was debuffed is hardly a dealbreaker. As far as renting out a convention hall, coming from someone who again has been involved in a lot of event planning, I think you would be pretty hard pressed to find any convention center with anything approaching a reasonable cost for an event of this size and nature.

Quote from ”Poxnor”:
(3) Location.  C4L2015 will happen in either Edmonton, where we've made connections, or Vancouver, where I have the opportunity to be in-town to do little things like arrange hotels in advance.  Vancouver is a shorter drive for the Utah crew, but a longer drive for the Montana crew.  But, Americans also have the option of flying into Seattle or Bellingham and driving across (it's about a 2.5 hr. drive from Seattle or a 1 hr. drive from Bellingham).  I might be able to arrange cheaper accommodations in Vancouver, but I'm not sure at this point.  It would mean starting over with new people, but not with a new charity.  I don't relish the thought of trying to explain to a new person what speedgaming is, and I would sure as hell miss having Driscollad on the ground to help out in the lead-up to the marathon, but I also don't relish the thought of packing the streaming computer and microphones up for another plane flight and trying to plan things from afar again.

I have to ask, why so dead set on Canada? A vast majority of the RPG runners seem to be from the US, with some French runners also expressing interest. I understand that there aren’t really a lot of marathons up in Canada, but it really seems to be more of a personal convenience for you than a real benefit to the marathon and the attendees. Holding the event in the US could potentially prevent a lot of the drop since going internationally adds so many steps for so many of the runners.

Quote from ”Poxnor”:
Edit: Post away; but, please refrain from personal attacks, and try to make criticism constructive (i.e., not only what we did wrong, but what we could do to make it better).

I really don't know what to say. I'd like to avoid making things personal because I know how much effort goes into planning something like this, but it seems like the whole process was just lost in a lot of places. It's pretty clear that you do not have the time and resources available to do the whole thing yourself like you tried to this year. I just hope that the RPG community steps in and gets the marathon that they really deserve instead of another repeat of this next year.
I hate to post a "me too," but as someone who did attend the marathon, I have to pretty strongly echo the majority of Murph's post. In particular:

- The best term to describe the lack of communication throughout the spring is "unacceptable."

- Costs need to be one of the first things that attendees know about. The fact that we didn't have final numbers on fees until literally two weeks before the marathon was just crazy.

- Ginzuishou's revelation that we had a sponsor willing to fill all of our cable gaps without cost to us, but that we did not take advantage of this, is...well, I'm running out of adjectives.

- Strongly agree with Murph's point that we need a separate tech staff to bring that stuff together. GDQ organizers are handling that as a full-time job now, and they still have huge numbers of folks helping them on everything from organizing tech to coordinating couch commentators. It doesn't seem reasonable for us to heap all that work on 1-3 people. (Even though there's a large difference in scale, the basic overhead of running a marathon on any size is obviously substantial, and we should handle it accordingly.)

- I also agree that requiring deposits is not appropriate at all. Approaching our attendance problem as "we need to disallow people from dropping out" is missing the point fairly substantially. We need to attract more folks from the start, so that when people drop out it's not as damning.
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
I had been thinking for quite a long time on how to phrase 'Poxnor, you were pretty absent for quite a long time with no-one to replace you' in a kind way, and failed miserably, so thanks, Murph, for saying it slightly more drastically.

Also, in retrospect, I'm pretty glad that my game was removed, allowing me to drop out and save my money for the other big thing that's happening this year (non-gaming related) because … yeah, two weeks?!?
Professional Shaq Fu Speedrunner
Coming at this from a Twitch viewer and as somebody who donated prizes for both C4L 2013 and 2014.

I'm going to approach the Twitch chat issue. I very much remember the C4L 2013 chat being fairly tame. Yes there will always be that type of stuff that pops up because its there internet and there are trolls. However I'm going to make this point: having the Twitch chat turned off this year cost the charity money. How much money? Well the marathon raised less money this year than it did last year. And with everything that went wrong with this marathon from the stream viewing perspective, I'm willing to bet this number is in the thousands of dollars.

Multiple people tried to send their viewers to Crystals for Life twitch page, and due to the lack of Twitch chat on the main twitch page, there was a poor attach rate. Crystals For Life does not have the cult of personality that AGDQ and SGDQ have been able to gather. Honestly at this point the twitch chat could be off and the chat on a seperate chat IRC server for AGDQ and SGDQ and it wouldn't matter as much in terms of raising money for the charity.

For a lot of people, RPG's have a lot of downtime, as much as they might enjoy watching them. Getting people to come to the stream and stay can be a challenge, especially when the marathon is limited to what it is. So if the marathon has down points with commentary, the chat itself can and does keep viewers around due to the interaction between the viewers themselves. With a sub only chat, I don't honestly expect viewers to plop down 5 dollars to talk during these points. I expect them to leave and not come back.

Also, there was a separate Crystals for Life twitch page that was used last year that wasn't used this year. I'm assuming Poxnor used his personal channel because it was easier to promote the marathon with?

Also I just want to give a shoutout to DjTifaHeart. She has done a wonderful job organizing the prize thread. Kudos to her.

But the things she was not responsible for; communication about the prize drawing, why it hadn't happened yet, among other things was really poor. The prize drawing didn't have to happen on stream for one thing. I understand it was done in the name of transparency, but it was done fairly late at night so the likelihood of people being in there to hear their name called was low. Also, information about why this prize drawing took so long to do should not be coming 2nd hand from me on the SDA forums.

Though as a whole, the Marathon still raised a ton of money for the charity, however I just want to see the marathon raise money to its full potential.
Moo! Flap! Hug!
Okay, this thread went ballistic overnight.  I'll try my best to respond honestly to each concern raised.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
Uh, grow in what way? If I understand correctly from what I’ve heard and seen, attendance was about the same at the end of the day, and the marathon didn’t even raise as much as last year.

Not raising as much probably had more to do with timing and the lack of a French restream.  There was no way we realistically (without 20/20 hindsight) could have foreseen this.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
The only purpose the bigger venue served was to inflate cost for attendees.

And to allow the event to actually happen.  I've already stated that we need some manner of deposits for future years so we don't get so many last-minute dropouts, and I'm perfectly willing to look into what other problems caused last-minute dropouts.  But no, the bigger venue needed to happen.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
Wasn’t the hotel stuff not finalized until something like a month before the marathon? I remember thing being a huge topic of discussion for a long time on people’s streams who were attending and on twitter, but unfortunately those are very difficult places to find records of, and hotel discussion seems to not exist in any public space.

Correct, there was insufficient discussion of it in the public space.  Part of the difficulty was keeping an accurate public discussion when there was consistent and ongoing negotiation that was happening in the private (organizer) space to reduce cost for the continued attendees back down to puwexil's estimate as the number of attendees continued to drop, including personal flights to Edmonton to engage in negotiations.  I came within a manner of dollars.  If people didn't trust my word that puwexil's estimate was accurate (including that my wife and I would pay significantly out of our own pockets to bring the cost down to that estimate, as part of the negotiations), then why did they want to attend a marathon I was planning in the first place?

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
Honestly, sponsorship is one of those things that mostly has to come to you. Prove that you are great, and people will want to sponsor you. At the very least, the message is not to bank on having ANY sponsors unless you’ve received significant sponsorship in the past.

Yet we received some, which resulted in a large number of free meals and reduced costs to attendees.  Some people complained that somehow we didn't produce the miracle of free attendance and every dinner free for everyone.  I don't know who was realistically expecting that; but, if people were, I need to review my communication from this year and improve it for next year.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
Quote from ”Poxnor”:
The tech crew.  Frick, you people were amazing!

Are these problems like not knowing they are providing equipment? Because this:
Quote from Ginzuishou:

Is honestly one of the scariest things I’ve ever read about a marathon planning failure. This isn’t a situation where he was asked to get a backup or something, but he was not even informed he was supposed to bring it.

I'm assuming you watched very little of the marathon.  Ginzuishou is a lady, which you would have known had you tuned in at one of many times.

Regarding communication: I thought it was clear that she was providing the gaming machine.  She obviously didn't think as much.  This is a problem, and the problem of who supplies the gaming PC has to change for next year anyway.  I'm even open to the (less than ideal) suggestion of returning to a console-only marathon, because PC-gaming was a nightmare.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
I just want to emphasis exactly how much testing goes on. The marathon computers for AGDQ these days are bought months in advance and stress tested like crazy.

Life's a bitch.  The computer was tested, and was a relative copy of the *GDQ streaming computers.  I've been testing for weeks now, and still haven't figured out what the problem is.  You could have given me months, and I almost certainly wouldn't have known (thought I'll keep trying to figure out what the issue is).  We have a workaround for next year if this is a problem, but hopefully we will have a true solution by then.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
Meanwhile, you are asking for a beginners guide to OBS 3 days before the marathon starts. I take back what I said about Ginzuishou's post, because this blows it out of the water.

Yes, I was asking for information a few days before the marathon that had absolutely nothing to do with the crashes, but which I needed to set up better recording this year.  That had pretty minimal priority.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
Going to point back to Ginzuishou’s post again. This is a pretty basic marathon planning step, and while it requires a whole lot of time and effort to get right and mistakes happen, I can’t see any evidence that that planning step was done. Things like cables being too short are parts of things that anyone who’s done tech setups knows, which is that you lose distance on cables due to turns or slack in the line, and having excess cables is just a critical step.

Throwing it out there: whom should I have asked to buy extra-long, and extra-expensive, cables in advance?  There needed to be better delegation to someone running an equipment list.  Being in the city and being able to go to the room and take better measurements every weekend would have helped, and that's why I'm considering moving the event.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
Again this might be a case of I can’t find evidence because it’s happening behind closed doors, but…. Wait hold on, where exactly IS the transparency in the game selection? As a person who’s in the public and not an attendee, I can’t find any real evidence that any deliberation took place, which is exactly the opposite of a transparent process.

Then check back on the public thread and the feedback that I posted and deliberated on.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
There two apologizes for prolonged, unexplained abscenses and only one post between them over the course of a month during a critical phase of planning. I’m not saying I expect people to be available every moment, but this is a pretty clear problem in the planning process.

Full responsibility accepted here.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
Just throwing it out there, but maybe if people had a hotel cost and could plan around said costs before the month of the marathon for an international trip[...]

They did; my word is my word.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
[...]they would be more prone to make plans they could stick to. I mean at the very least, I would not be prepared to let people make a deposit on something before the final cost is known. Regardless, marathon drops have always been a part of what happens in planning.  Life happens, and trying to strong-arm people into committing to a charity event that they have to attend on their own dime is pretty rude.

Seriously, asking people to commit to something that they say they're going to attend -- and where the costs for everyone are based off of their word that they're attending -- is rude?  I said right in the first post that I understand that life happens.  That's why I was totally cool with Lag and Mercury dropping out when visa issues cropped up -- that falls right into the category of "life happens".  But, yes, I was angry when people just randomly dropped out with no (or poor) reasons.  And I don't think that's rude.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
I’m glad that your point of contention [Twitch chat] warrants no further discussion. Honestly I don’t really care about twitch chat at all, but C4L2013 twitch chat was honestly pretty tame from my memory.

No, it was horrific.  Multiple attendees were upset to the point of anger or tears.  It was not tame.  It was horrid; any attempts to moderate it just resulted in a flood of worse vitriol.  We have a solution for next year, and it will be sub-only again (but, thanks to the generosity of Twitch, with the option to sub).

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
[But] this is the internet, people are going to make personal attacks.

Nope, not on my watch.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
The longer you dwell on them, the more they are going to happen.

Actually, turning Twitch chat to sub-only really solved that issue this year.  Chat moderation was heaven compared to last year.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t buy the ‘get thicker skin, grin and bear it’ argument either, but a simple quiet ban by a moderator and moving on will get through sooner or later, and things like sub mode can always be used as a fallback in the situation where chat gets completely out of hand.

The problem is that we don't have the manpower to mod an un-sub Twitch chat.  I would rather mod just one chat, where the increased effort of signing up reduces trolls by 99.9%, than try to moderate two chats.  Thanks to the generosity of Twitch, we will have sub mode for next year.  That will allow us to have two chats again, while keeping the Twitch chat both sub and mod-able.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
why exactly is C4L being held on your personal channel? A marathon channel such as the SDAmarathon channel is extremely easy to setup and is a much more transparent and comprehendible setting for a large marathon like that. Small casual marathons over a weekend work well on a personal channel, but a large in-person production really merits a more professional setting. Drawing prizes on stream while having people watch you do a run of your game is also a pretty shoddy move in my personal opinion.

It's being held on my personal channel because it's Twitch-partnered and Twitch-subbed, which I see as big step in our success moving forward.

I was playing a game while drawing prizes because I thought that people would find that more entertaining than just watching me sit in front of a camera and draw prizes.  (This whole situation, of course, is caused by our workflow -- which needs revamping for next year -- including better prize drawing during the marathon, and I acknowledge this fact.)  Think of this as similar to SDA roundtables that have been held with people playing a game in the background, which I felt was interesting rather than shoddy.

My gameplay was shoddy; feel free to talk about that.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
I don’t really understand the problem you had here [with hotel noise]. One minor complaint that was debuffed is hardly a dealbreaker. As far as renting out a convention hall, coming from someone who again has been involved in a lot of event planning, I think you would be pretty hard pressed to find any convention center with anything approaching a reasonable cost for an event of this size and nature.

Which is why we attempted to rent a large room at a hotel, instead of a conference centre.  And yes, noise was a concern.  I'd like to hear more from the people who attended; yeah, we didn't get a direct complaint (in the end), but there were definitely times sitting in the room that I was legitimately worried that we were about to.  All of us in the room sure believed that the so-called complaint was legit, because we were being loud on the top floor of a hotel.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
I have to ask, why so dead set on Canada?

Because if organizing the event in Edmonton from Vancouver was a pain in the ass regarding communication, and required expensive travel, then imagine trying to organize it in AnywhereVille, USA from Vancouver, from which communication would be a pain in the ass, even more expensive travel would be required, and clearing customs multiple times for the point of meeting hotel staff would be a requirement.

There are three choices: it happens in Edmonton where we have established connections, it happens in Vancouver where I personally live and from which I can hopefully mitigate some of the communication problems from this year, or someone else takes over.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
but it really seems to be more of a personal convenience for you than a real benefit to the marathon and the attendees.

Back to me organizing it, or someone else taking over.  Yes, it's a personal convenience to me to be able to organize the marathon that I'm organizing.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
Holding the event in the US could potentially prevent a lot of the drop since going internationally adds so many steps for so many of the runners.

Many of the drops weren't even American.  They were Canadian and European.  If anything, moving to the US could have made it worse.

Quote from MURPHAGATOR!:
It's pretty clear that you do not have the time and resources available to do the whole thing yourself like you tried to this year.

Actually, as anyone behind the scenes could tell you, I tried to delegate a lot more this year, and that's what led to some of the failures we experienced this year.  Last year, I was a control freak.  This year, I tried to hand more off.

Thank you for your feedback.
--Ryan
Edit history:
Poxnor: 2014-06-14 02:14:40 am
Moo! Flap! Hug!
Quote from Vulajin:
- The best term to describe the lack of communication throughout the spring is "unacceptable."

Accepted and acknowledged.

Quote from Vulajin:
- Costs need to be one of the first things that attendees know about. The fact that we didn't have final numbers on fees until literally two weeks before the marathon was just crazy.

Please see the above reply for what happened there.  I couldn't give final cost numbers until a few weeks before the event.  Please know that I tried to keep the numbers, in every way I could, to within dollars of puwexil's estimate.  I'll endeavour to give final numbers earlier next year; but, that means, we need to find a way to make the sign-up mean actually signing up.  Deposits?

Quote from Vulajin:
Ginzuishou's revelation that we had a sponsor willing to fill all of our cable gaps without cost to us, but that we did not take advantage of this, is...well, I'm running out of adjectives.

No, we did not.

Quote from Vulajin:
Strongly agree with Murph's point that we need a separate tech staff to bring that stuff together. GDQ organizers are handling that as a full-time job now, and they still have huge numbers of folks helping them on everything from organizing tech to coordinating couch commentators. It doesn't seem reasonable for us to heap all that work on 1-3 people. (Even though there's a large difference in scale, the basic overhead of running a marathon on any size is obviously substantial, and we should handle it accordingly.)

Huge change from last year that I didn't foresee.  Last year, everyone pitched in wherever they could, whether it was kitchen help, tech, commentary, you name it.  We lost a sense of community from last year to this year.  I need to discuss with some people why this happened, and what we can do to help with that for next year.

Quote from Vulajin:
I also agree that requiring deposits is not appropriate at all. Approaching our attendance problem as "we need to disallow people from dropping out" is missing the point fairly substantially. We need to attract more folks from the start, so that when people drop out it's not as damning.

Either way, last-minute schedule changes are damning to an RPG marathon.  I think this is a big reason why commentary suffered this year, which was a big point that I've received in private.  People need to prepare commentary a lot further in advance for an RPG marathon than for a marathon with shorter games (and short-game commentary needs a lot of preparation as is!).

I think if 2, 5, or 10 hours of a marathon are being planning around you playing a game, there needs to be some manner of: "I'm really signing up, barring life throwing a total, horrific curveball."
Edit history:
Poxnor: 2014-06-14 02:43:48 am
Moo! Flap! Hug!
Quote from JackintheBox333:
I'm going to approach the Twitch chat issue. I very much remember the C4L 2013 chat being fairly tame. Yes there will always be that type of stuff that pops up because its there internet and there are trolls. However I'm going to make this point: having the Twitch chat turned off this year cost the charity money. How much money? Well the marathon raised less money this year than it did last year. And with everything that went wrong with this marathon from the stream viewing perspective, I'm willing to bet this number is in the thousands of dollars.

You might be right.  But, JDRF is an established charity; their image, their reputation, and their branding are worth far more to them than our one event.  That's not to diminish our event, because I think it's awesome, and I'm so happy for everyone who donates, participates, and volunteers.  But, seriously, the ostensibly-tame things happening in the chat last year could have done far more damage to the charity than us raising $1k less this year.  We need to look at the impact of our event beyond the amount of money our event raises.

For a lot of people, RPG's have a lot of downtime, as much as they might enjoy watching them. Getting people to come to the stream and stay can be a challenge, especially when the marathon is limited to what it is. So if the marathon has down points with commentary, the chat itself can and does keep viewers around due to the interaction between the viewers themselves. With a sub only chat, I don't honestly expect viewers to plop down 5 dollars to talk during these points. I expect them to leave and not come back.

You're probably right, but as above.

Also, there was a separate Crystals for Life twitch page that was used last year that wasn't used this year. I'm assuming Poxnor used his personal channel because it was easier to promote the marathon with?

It was on my personal channel last year as well.  As with last year, it was also on crystalsforlife.ca.  If this wasn't known, it was due to poorer advertising this year; absolutely nothing in that setup changed from last year.  We'll need to reflect on how we advertised this year.

Also I just want to give a shoutout to DjTifaHeart. She has done a wonderful job organizing the prize thread. Kudos to her.

Hell yes.

But the things she was not responsible for; communication about the prize drawing, why it hadn't happened yet, among other things was really poor. The prize drawing didn't have to happen on stream for one thing. I understand it was done in the name of transparency, but it was done fairly late at night so the likelihood of people being in there to hear their name called was low. Also, information about why this prize drawing took so long to do should not be coming 2nd hand from me on the SDA forums.

Agreed.  My apologies.  Technical problems on my end that I should have resolved more quickly, and that's my bad.  I don't want prize frick-ups to become a C4L tradition.  Also, the late night thing was a case of me literally working from dawn until dusk to get the last of the technical problems "resolved" (including the not-so-resolved issue of the capture card) -- I don't offer this fact as an excuse, but rather as an explanation.  I thought, by working late, I had resolved this issue.  In retrospect, I should have ran with the stream earlier; in retro-retrospect, I should have planned more for the C4L workflow and got prize draws happening during the event.
Edit history:
Klaige: 2014-06-14 09:31:39 am
I'm going to overlook the vast majority of these straw man responses that are dodging a lot of the issues with convenience towards yourself, and focus on the one argument your making here that I find incredibly insulting as someone who has attending multiple large scale events, including marathons.  That would be this notion that a part of why C4L did not meet expectations is due to the many runners that dropped and this absolutely absurd idea that there needs to be some kind of deposit system to ensure you don't have it happen to you again.

This is frankly a giant cop-out and reeks of a lack of willingness to take responsibility for the areas you failed in as a marathon organizer.  Before we even get to the fact that there were extremely good reasons a lot of runners dropped out, let's address the fact that if you are the one making the schedule and you are in charge, it's on you to be prepared for drops, even ones in the 11th hour, and have some sort of contingency plan ready to try and make up for that hole in the schedule.  RPG marathon or not it is absolutely foolish to assume a schedule is not going to get altered due to drops or issues that come up with travel or various other situations.  Is it difficult to fill a sudden 4 hour hole in your schedule because it's an RPG?  Absolutely it is, but this is your event and you are the one running it, those sorts of issues are something you sign up for when you take the helm.  So again, even if a bunch of people "fail on their commitment" without good reason, tough, be better prepared.

What truly bothers me about this though is that you seem to be trying to correlate the drops as an excuse for C4L's issues.  It does not take a genius to figure out why a lot of these drops happened, and that was the simple fact that this marathon was so poorly planned that committing to it meant you were basically putting yourself at the mercy of an organizer who completely disappeared for 2 months leading up to the event itself.  Planning even a short road trip for an event requires some time and knowledge of what is going on, people need to know many things like:

Where they are going.
Where they will be staying.
The cost of where they will be staying.
The cost of attending the event and its fees.
The schedule of the event.
And MANY other variables.

With less than a month to go till the start of C4L many of these variables were left completely blank and you are asking people to base a long travel arrangement, many of those arrangements requiring INTERNATIONAL travel, without solidified information on things that need to be worked out WELL in advance of the event itself.  No sane person in their right mind is going to purchase tickets to an international event without concrete information on the cost of where they are staying and the cost of attendance.  The failure to get that information to your potential attendee's falls solely on you.  To turn around and try to pass the buck of the marathons shortcomings onto those who weren't willing to put their faith in your planning that offered up no good information so close to the event is not a mark against them in any way what so ever.  If I had signed up to participate in an event where it's less than a month to go and I still don't know some very important details about the venue or the event cost, you can 100% believe I'm not going to set myself up for potential issues by committing to that event when the event organizer can't commit to keeping the other people involved updated and well fed with important information.

Regardless of why the information for attendees took so long to come to light is irrelevant.  Regardless if life was too busy for you, or the delegation choices you made for organizing the marathon didn't work out, the onus falls back onto you as the marathon organizer to get these things done and handled properly.  Frankly you should be thankful that many of the runners were willing to put a GREAT DEAL of faith in your ability to actually get this marathon to still go off and they committed a great deal of their time and money to an event that was far too behind on proper planning and proper information about costs/expenses/and other extremely important things to know for those going to the event.

The idea that you would even attempt to pass some of the blame of where C4L did not meet expectations onto those who were not willing to take a leap of faith for you when you went AWOL for far too long is an insult to them and to anyone who took part or even watched the event.  The notion that you think putting some sort of deposit for people that would sign up for a future event as a countermeasure to this "problem" is not only insulting, it's a joke, and it shows nothing but a huge attempt to dodge your own failings as a marathon organizer and play a "woe is me" card when all the issues that arose from those situations were of your own doing.

I full expect any response to this to create another straw man argument that avoids the core reasons of what went wrong here and skirt the major issues, and that's fine with me.  I'm putting these thoughts down in hopes that more people will be willing to voice their displeasure with how many of these issues arose in the first place and hopefully get more accountability in place.  Because at the end of the day as the head of the event, anywhere it falls short is on your watch, and you can either be accountable and take steps to fix it, or you can continue to try and skate by hoping no one notices and slapping anyone with real harsh criticisms of your work on C4L as "personal attacks"
Professional Second Banana
A lot of my opinions of what went well vs. not so hot have been stated above, so I'll focus on a few specific topics I have something new to add to.  Hopefully with continued refinement C4L can truly become an AGDQ/SGDQ marathon for RPGs, which the RPG speedrun community definitely wants and deserves.

Overall the Chateau Louis was a great location for a gaming marathon - no other events going on at the same time, right across the street from a supermarket/convenience store and several restaurants (that accepted foreign credit cards), free hot breakfast, and fairly stable wi-fi (a rarity at most hotels I've stayed at).

That being said, I'm pretty thoroughly convinced that for its 2nd year C4L wasn't yet ready to move from a house to a hotel.  The relatively low # of attendees compared to modern GDQ marathons and lack of a surplus budget carried over from previous events meant that the costs for the event were almost entirely dependent on the final # of attendees.  This made it impossible to provide accurate attendance costs far enough in advance, which was unfair for attendees to try plan their budgets around; and also meant that last-minute changes to peoples' attendance plans had major impact on costs.  The costs were also quite a bit higher than the GDQs, between fewer people to distribute the hotel costs between and international travel costs for most of the attendees; and cost was almost certainly a factor in some attendees' decisions to drop out.

The hotel situation also meant we weren't able to afford a common room of some kind separate from the streaming/practice rooms (for casual gaming, eating, & other socializing by attendees that aren't practicing or interested in watching the current run), or any common rooms available before/after the actual marathon dates.  This was pretty sorely lacking - after getting to the event I wasn't really sure how to connect with other people (I guess I could have asked the front desk for room #'s based on who was already onsite based on the published arrival times, but in past experiences hotel front desks have not given that out for security reasons).  It ended up working out pretty well to have the practice room double as a social room, though I know that caused a couple of incidents of noise from the practice room being loud enough to be picked up by the room mics in the streaming room (which isn't a terrible thing as it shows energy/excitement, as long as it's not distracting the active runner/commentators).

So in hindsight, I think C4L 2014 would have been better off at a house like Essentia/Denton's (which handled an SGDQ marathon with probably 40+ attendees relatively comfortably and at much lower cost).  If the event grows significantly next year a hotel or other public venue should be considered, but if it stays under 40 we should use a community member's house in order to keep costs down.  I also agree with the above post that having C4L in the US (especially in a region where JDRF's US-based chapter has a presence) would help lower costs and increase attendance.

Planning/Communication:
I got the impression that most of the logistics planning for the event was done privately between Poxnor and the Edmonton locals.  That's perfectly fine, though as some of the above posts have stated, public communication about the logistical planning was weak at times (I even had people ask me in April if C4L was still happening!).

Game Selection/Schedule:
In the future this can be done more effectively in real time via a Skype IM group or IRC channel (where the event organizers and invited scheduling helpers set a time to meet and go over the submissions and discuss), rather than via forum PMs.  Though it ended up being a non-issue due to attendee drops, I think the initial '1 game per runner' policy hurt the fundraising potential of the marathon by sidelining some strong game offerings, and going forward submissions should be judged on their own merits for entertainment value/donation potential, with # of games per runner being one of multiple factors that influence the scheduling decisions.

In the end I think we had a really solid game/runner lineup at C4L 2014 (my only real nitpicks with the final schedule were covered excellently by Vulajin), though the road to getting there can definitely be less rocky next time.

Twitch Chat:
Twitch chat should be enabled, and sub-only mode only used if it actually gets out of control.  I have talked to people that I trust and that watched significant portions of C4L 2013; and none of them substantiated any of the above horror stories that it was a completely unmanageable cesspool.  Having chat disabled from the outset negated a lot of the benefit of the stream being promoted on the Twitch front page and on the SRL/SDA team pages - casual viewers that reach the stream through any of those means would never have been made aware that they have to go to a separate site to access chat unless they happened to be there when the host/donation reader mentioned it (since Twitch front page and team pages do not show the stream title unless the viewer actually goes to the stream's own Twitch page, and it wasn't obvious from the visual stream layout).

Having ran an RPG speedrun event that had over 5000 viewers at one point (the SNES Final Fantasy Relay), I can speak from experience that larger Twitch chats can still be positive places as long as the stream content is engaging and the chat mods active at banning trolls and steering the conversation back from places it doesn't need to go.  Using Twitch chat as a tool to promote/hype the marathon also means more potential for ad revenue to funding marathon infrastructure or donate to charity.
Everything's better with Magitek
Chat:
I think this should really be up to JDRF to decide. Since they specifically work with juvenile diabetes, it's understandable that they want to maintain a child-friendly image. If they want to mitigate nasty comments in chat as much as possible (which, let's face it, is more likely to happen in Twitch chat no matter how much modding there is), even if it means fewer donations, then we should respect their wishes. If, however, they're okay with some nasty things popping up, as long as they're taken care of by mods, then having non-sub Twitch chat could really help.

Streaming room:
I really wish I could have spent more time in the streaming room as a spectator or helping with donations (I really wanted to try reading donation comments for the first time), but since I was running 3 games and commentating on 3 other games, most of my free time was spent in the practice room either practicing my games or watching other people practice so I'd be ready to commentate. The few times I could have helped out, I didn't know how things worked; some training for everyone on how to do donation processing, hosting, etc. would definitely be beneficial.

Schedule:
It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a list of backup games of different lengths to choose from, in case people drop out. I also agree that game selection seemed overly complicated this year.

Prizes:
During my runs, I remember there were times when there were no donation comments to read, so I'd ask the host to go over the available prizes, and every time within minutes a bunch of donations would come in. We definitely need to plug the prizes more.

Planning/Communication:
I've talked with Poxnor in private about some of this, but I won't go into details. I kind of feel like there wasn't enough delegation; there was no one to take charge in Poxnor's absence, and so everything (game schedule, costs, equipment list) just kind of remained in limbo. I'll admit that Denton and I were nervous about whether or not the marathon was actually going to happen in the month leading up to the marathon, but since we were driving instead of flying, it wouldn't have been a big deal to us if things fell through. Most other people weren't so fortunate, though, which is why we need regular updates and finalized info well in advance, even if it means asking other people to take over for you.

So in hindsight, I think C4L 2014 would have been better off at a house like Essentia/Denton's (which handled an SGDQ marathon with probably 40+ attendees relatively comfortably and at much lower cost).  If the event grows significantly next year a hotel or other public venue should be considered, but if it stays under 40 we should use a community member's house in order to keep costs down.  I also agree with the above post that having C4L in the US (especially in a region where JDRF's US-based chapter has a presence) would help lower costs and increase attendance.

I talked with Denton, and if C4L 2015 stays relatively small, we'd be willing to host the marathon here at our house (and Denton said he'd take care of food like he did for SGDQ), as long as other people are taking care of the other organization issues (schedule, tech, etc.) because we won't have time to do that. I just checked, and JDRF does have a nearby chapter in Salt Lake City. We won't be offended if you choose not to have it here, but it's another option.
Quote from Essentia:
if C4L 2015 stays relatively small, we'd be willing to host the marathon here at our house

Thank you kindly for this offer, Kari and Denton. We will certainly consider this option for next year. Hosting the event at a house would certainly help to keep costs down (just in case anyone didn't realize, it is not an option to host this event at our house anymore because we now live in a 2-bedroom townhouse with no basement). One issue that Ryan mentioned is that flying into SLC is more expensive compared to most other airports, so we would have to see whether the decreased cost of accommodation would counteract that expense.

Thank you to all who provided constructive feedback. We appreciate suggestions about what can be done to improve the event going forward.
Edit history:
Ginzuishou: 2014-06-14 10:52:31 am
Ginzuishou: 2014-06-14 10:45:26 am
Ginzuishou: 2014-06-14 10:43:19 am
Quote from Vulajin:
Ginzuishou's revelation that we had a sponsor willing to fill all of our cable gaps without cost to us, but that we did not take advantage of this, is...well, I'm running out of adjectives.

Quote from Poxnor:
No, we did not.

Yes we did... https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/private/tech_setup_for_c4l2014.html I made it clear in the first post here with all the tech people involved in the marathon. I was never given a list....

Quote from Ginzuishou:
Hi guys,

My name is Anna, feel free to call me that. I understand I'm the new girl this year, but I want to make C4L as successful as possible. SO, I have some awesome news regarding tech at C4L.

Norelco Safecam has offered to provide us with networking equipment and cameras for the event. Their website is http://norelcosafecam.com/ Be warned, the website does not have all of their products available listed. The have an office right here in Edmonton.

I have a meeting with them on Monday and they have asked for a list of things we will need. Cables, router, switches, viewing cameras for the couch, are basically what I know they can provide for us and have offered. However, they have stated that they can help with anything that is in their capability.

So being that I'm not a tech genius, and am not aware of what we do need as I have never set up anything like this in my life, is it possible that we can come up with a list of things we need/want before Monday for me to bring to them? Chances are we can ask for the moon, and they will deliver.

Thank you for the help everyone,
Anna

Quote from Poxnor:
Benjamin, anything you want, please let Anna know. Let's see if we can get whatever you think would be helpful or useful.

Edit: I can understand Poxnor is extremely frustrated with how the marathon went and how much criticism he's been receiving, but being told on the forums that we didn't have a sponsor is complete bull and making it look like I made it up is unfathomable to me.
Not a walrus
Quote from Ginzuishou:
Quote from Poxnor:
Benjamin, anything you want, please let Anna know. Let's see if we can get whatever you think would be helpful or useful.

I don't remember this post at all, so I don't remember why I failed to get you a list. Maybe part of the problem was that I wasn't sure what all we would be bringing (in terms of microphones etc) and then when that got more solidified I had forgotten about this offer. Whoops. I remember bringing in Matty at one point since he had more experience with the actual cabling jobs (he's the one who goes shopping for our audio equipment for *GDQs for the most part) so maybe I thought he had given a good list, or somehow said list failed to get passed on to the correct people?

That said, I'm hoping the "we did not" part means "we did not take advantage of the offer", not "we didn't have the offer". Could be taken either way just as easily, so maybe that's just a misunderstanding?
Generic Text
All right. I wasn't going to post due to general not caring and being so done with this, but after several people suggested that I should talk about this at the very least, I decided to do so after all.

Full disclosure: I was one of the late dropouts. And quite frankly, I'm thoroughly disgusted with the treatment I received. C4L2 was an experience I would rather not relive. Putting aside the other mismanagement that isn't really important or has already been talked about in some form, the biggest problem I have with the event happened when unexpected pet-related expenditures came up that put my attendance in question. But I found an alternative solution: I have a cousin up in Edmonton, and I figured that I could stay with him. This would allow me to cut the hotel costs out of the picture.

Poxnor, however, refused to allow this. Even when I proposed paying the shared costs out of goodwill, he expected me to pay money I simply did not have. He wanted the $504, even if I did not attend, going into a tirade in the private thread as to why I needed to pay the money.

Although Potatohandle generously offered to help me with the costs, I was still on the fence about attending, and ultimately decided not to. While I claimed something that was technically true (if iffy), and did mention in places that I felt that I wouldn't be getting my money's worth, those were just the little things. The main and primary reason for my not taking him up on it and dropping out of attending C4L4 altogether: I did not feel comfortable attending a marathon where the organizer tried to pressure me into going. I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't and didn't go, but ultimately, I'm not that upset about it given all this.

MURPH pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. Sometimes, real-life just gets in the way with things like these. People have reasons as to why they might have to cancel their attendance, and if people can't respect that, that's on them.
spread the dirt to the populace
systemerror, that is awful. i genuinely feel for you on this one!

i had lost a lot of respect for the organization of C4L after the public controversy over banning attendees for less than rock-solid reasons, and none of this is surprising me. it really seems to be a case of an event trying to do too much too soon with too little - the organization reminds me a lot of Kings of Poverty, where i didn't even know whether the venue would hold the event until a couple weeks beforehand. the difference is that i only had a 36-hour schedule and never expected anyone to travel a great distance for it - i just had a few local fighting-game players and runners, and based my plans around that. so even though there were still a ton of organizational snafus, keeping it small enabled us to put on an event that entertained a lot of people and surpassed the donation goal. if i were aiming for something the size of C4L it absolutely would have imploded!

the larger point here is to stick to more realistic expectations instead of getting angry at runners for dropping out. you need to assume some percentage of dropouts and base your goals around that, rather than pushing people to attend so you meet larger goals. seriously, this reminds me of VxG (look it up) where they were pressuring fighting-game players to enter the Call of Duty tournament and vice versa...not a good look.

oh yeah, and RAINN never expressed any issues with our Twitch chat even though it was infinitely worse than C4L's and even had a MODERATOR making rape jokes (i take responsibility for not noticing at the time). i find it hard to believe that a non-sub chat would really be that much of a deal-breaker as long as it's modded and you're bringing in money for the charity...