<- 12345
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
short game << large hole in schedule. Find the mistake ^^'
There are other options; some people are definitely commited to coming regardless whether they run a game or not (I was last year). Assuming those people actually also had a game submitted, which was rejected due to schedule being too full, their games could be used as backup games, maximising the inclusiveness of the event.
Also, it's entirely possible to talk with runners whose games are about to be rejected along the lines of 'Hey, the way it looks atm we're going to have to cut Final Fantasy XVI, but that's only because we have too many strong games. I see you signed up for commentary of Persona 6, the Demon Rush and Final Fantasy II-2. Would you still plan on travelling, even if your game is cut? Because if so, it would make a perfect backup game, in case somebodys pet rat dies and they drop out last minute …'
If you then get the response 'Urn or death!!11one' then that's 'fine' for either side, but I can imagine some people still wanting to show their support regardless of cut or uncut games.
Really sad to see the end of C4L.  As a Canadian who doesn't have the money to travel too far, Edmonton was a nice location, but I can understand the issue with major airports and such.  I wish the best of luck to Poxnor and hope he can eventually come back to helping with the rpg speedrun community and understand we didn't want to push him away from the role but to help us expand. 

Lot of talk coming from me seeing as im not able to stream and not many people know me, but I do care about this community as to several other non-streaming fans.

What I would like to know is if the issue with the airport's is the major issue, with traveling and what not.  If it is, what about doing a Marathon in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).  As far as I am aware, the Toronto Pearson Airport is a pretty big one and there are multiple cities with decent hotels in the area to be able to do this.  Apologize if I am getting ahead of myself, I just feel like there should be a speedrunning presence in Canada for those of us who can't travel into the states.  That and I really want to get more involved in the community, even if it's just behind the scene's stuff.
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Quote from Tinglenator:
What I would like to know is if the issue with the airport's is the major issue, with traveling and what not.  If it is, what about doing a Marathon in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).  As far as I am aware, the Toronto Pearson Airport is a pretty big one and there are multiple cities with decent hotels in the area to be able to do this.  Apologize if I am getting ahead of myself, I just feel like there should be a speedrunning presence in Canada for those of us who can't travel into the states.  That and I really want to get more involved in the community, even if it's just behind the scene's stuff.

I think the big point is, this is an RPG marathon, not a Canadian marathon. If someone wanted to start a Canadian marathon I'm sure you could do that, I just don't think that's the mission with this one.
Professional Second Banana
https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/cgdr_canadian_games_done_respectfully_allcanadian_speedrunning_marathon_in_march_2014.html

Doesn't look like it actually materialized, but the interest is definitely there.
With all the problems drops caused this year I was already planning on submitting two backup games (about 4 hours total) in addition to my main game (FFXII) next year.  If enough people do that who end up attending, then any emergency additions should at least be more polished.

As for really short stuff, Morrowind and Oblivion are really short, assuming you can have the right version (can't recall if that's an issue for Oblivion, but you need 1.0 for Morrowind).  So there are games like that, for sure.

Finally, the big problem a lot of us had with Edmonton was the cost.  Toronto would probably be a bit more affordable (especially for me - I could drive there) in terms of airfare and maybe space as well; in fact Toronto had already occurred to me as a possible alternative location.  As of now it seems like the next event will probably be in Utah, but in the future whatever the next RPG event is will probably grow too big for any home that isn't a freaking mansion, so we should definitely keep things like that in mind.  There will be a lot of logistical things to work out if/when that happens, but maybe some motivated members of the community could check those places out a bit and see what might be there for us and how much it would be so that when the time comes we can make a better and more informed decision.
Stay chill, be cool.
I'm saving a lot of what I want to say for a new thread, but I really hope a new RPG marathon happens next year or whenever in the future.  I'm pretty sad about what happened to C4L, but as someone who only watched the marathon, I can't help but feel disappointed about how things went this time.

I really care because I would love to go to one of these marathons and possibly run a game or two there.  Location is a big deal for me and even if I did have time to go this year, I'm not sure if I could have afforded the travel costs and expenses.  I could travel to Canada if I have to since I have a passport already and could fly there if I could afford it, but it's a lot easier if a future marathon were in the States.  I wouldn't have a problem with a future event in Utah.
Viking it up
You know, I talked to several people about my desire to attend a C4L at some point recently, then running into this thread... I'm glad the community is as resilient as it appears to be.

I may have a game or two ready by the time another RPG marathon would happen, but there's some overlap with other, more qualified runners, and my finances are not exactly prepared to shoulder another significant trip cross-country.  The most important criticisms of C4L were organization and communication, and some people are certainly better at being leaders than others, and I am not one of the people better at leading, I know that.  I'm not very good at looking at the big picture, nor at taking harsh criticism.  However...

Every leader needs a second-in-command to hold everything together, or preferably several.  People with high organizational skills but who may lack leadership skills.  One of my personal strengths is organizing information, especially a great number of small details.  If an RPG marathon is going to happen and anyone finds they need some help on that front, feel free to PM me about it.  I'd be more than happy to help if I'm able.
I myself who found out about this is saddened. I don't think it was pushing poxnor out of control but have asked he let the people who want to help help on making it work better. I can understand on trying to keep it in Vancouver or Edmonton cause there are relation there, but I also understand people trying to have it somewhere that could be less costing to everyone. As a new comer in rpg speed running I always had hope that this keep going on for 2 reasons and 1 majority of the rpg speed runners i talk to know that I find that anything to help with diabetes research is a big bonus to me cause my dad is a diabetic. The second reason was that the people in it was caring plus gave games that normally wouldn't have been accepted in many marathons get a chance to shine. I do hope that if there is a new rpg marathon get made or that poxnor brings back C4L and let people that want to help make it work happens and that those who know me please keep me updated since i have trouble finding these forums.