Sad
<- 1  -   of 32 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Totally rad
Haha, no need to apologise. You merely startled me, because I had tested all kinds of stuff in that room without ever finding anything truly useful.

This makes me wonder, though, which version of Amnesia is the quickest to speed run if there are many more of these clips and glitches. I might have to get my hands on a 1.0 version of the game and go through each room again.
http://twitch.tv/Exisidis2
I still feel bad though. Hopefully the testing through 1.0 though gives you more ideas and you end up finding something else. Best of luck! Love this game. Smiley
Main Work!!!
I already test that out(because I saw a video of this on youtube a while ago and I realized that we weren't able to do it because of the updates), but thank and keep on helping us if you want to!!! The more we break into this game, the more fun we'll have!!!

Adam, just because of the update the storage is really easy and fast to do, if you take 1.0 either you'll need to get the chemistry pot or do the old storage route, which was uselessly hard and still slower than the current strat.
Totally rad
Yeah, I had a look at the update log, and they didn't fix particularly much. I was already almost hoping there would be some possibility of flipping the elevator switch without fixing the machine in the Back Hall, for instance. But yeah, 1.2 still seems the quickest due to Storage.
Edit history:
Apjjm: 2012-12-09 06:17:00 pm
Apjjm: 2012-12-09 06:15:56 pm
Apjjm: 2012-12-09 06:14:42 pm
What?
The only change i can see having some effect is the "leaning interferes with scripting", however i really dont know how or what effects it has, as i have been flat out unable to get my hands on a v1.0 copy of the game (i have installed the steam and a retail copy - i own a humble indie bundle version too i think but i haven't installed this one).
Totally rad
Have you tried contacting FG to see if you could get a 1.0 version from them? I've bought the game twice or thrice as well, but I can only get my hands on the 1.2 version that way. Only alternative I know uses 1.0 is OnLive, but that would be really awkward for speed running (since I'd have to deal with latency).
Edit history:
Magnum66: 2012-12-12 09:13:38 am
Magnum66: 2012-12-12 09:12:10 am
Yesterday afternoon I started another playthrough, and I've updated to version 1.2 now. Although it's weird, I can still walk right through that wall in the back hall and go out of bounds, but meh. Anyways I found another glitch. I managed to get through the fireplace and inside the wall in the archives area where you get the wine cellar key. Was just wondering if this is known about or useful in any way if we can glitch out of bounds here. I can go through fireplace and through entire wall itself, but then I just get popped out on other room I came from. It's a really hard and jittery glitch once you get inside the wall, but I have almost gotten out of bounds by going halfway through the wall, then turning right and running into black intersection near wall/window. But again, would it even be of any use if we did get out there?

Edit: Nevermind haha, just saw this:

Making another glitch in archives completely obsolete.

Edit2: Okay nevermind again, apparently that glitch isn't useful because you are left with a chemistry pot that isn't usable unless you do the chemical section in the wine cellar.
Quote:
Yesterday afternoon I started another playthrough, and I've updated to version 1.2 now. Although it's weird, I can still walk right through that wall in the back hall and go out of bounds, but meh.

It may be that 1.0 patched to 1.2 is actually different from a "pre-patched" 1.2. Then that would probably be the fastest version. I don't have Amnesia installed now, but a checksum comparison should clarify that easily.
Edit history:
Apjjm: 2012-12-12 01:30:24 pm
Apjjm: 2012-12-12 01:28:41 pm
Apjjm: 2012-12-12 01:28:17 pm
Apjjm: 2012-12-12 01:27:17 pm
What?
Being able to still walk through walls after patching may be because you are loading from a save (if there is no collider there to save, then it wont be loaded even after the patch) - if you start a new game and get back to the back hall then you won't be able to go through the wall.

With regards to the chemistry pot, the pot can be used in version 1.2. The game automatically gives you the correct pot when you leave the entrance hall through the rifenery door - iirc this was done as a work around for a rare glitch where the game would not give you right pot item after burning the web for some reason. Nice fine in the archives though - it may have use in a 100% run (if it requires all notes) perhaps Smiley
Totally rad
It's cool that you've found a trick in the Archives, but we skip the Archives altogether. We go straight to the Refinery after entering the Entrance Hall. Picking up the chemistry pot isn't necessary for us in version 1.2. Smiley
Alright, good to know. Thanks for being so kind and informative Smiley rare to find sometimes online. Smiley I'll keep looking.
Totally rad
If you're on the hunt for new tricks, check out the current route, to see what can be improved upon. Here's a link to a run I did a few months ago (the time is about 50s slower than the current world record, but that's mainly due to sloppy play and the route is practically identical).

I also stream runs regularly, so feel free to have a look at what I do there. Let me know if there's anything that needs explaining - I'm more than happy to help!

Looking forward to any possible new tricks you may find! Smiley
Edit history:
Magnum66: 2012-12-12 03:14:17 pm
Thanks man, I'll eventually start looking for stuff like that then. What's your streaming channel so I can watch anytime you happen to play Smiley

Isn't this the current record?

Or is it significantly lower because it was segmented and yours was SS?
Totally rad
I generally stream on www.twitch.tv/adam_ak . I tend to explain tricks every time I do a run. Will be streaming on Friday and some time this weekend for sure. Let me know what times would work for you, and I can try to accommodate.

The run you just posted is Apjjm's incredible segmented run, which allows for save-warping. Single Segment runs can't make use of that trick (and the segmented run also makes use of a few tricks that are simply impossible on an SS run, unless one is willing to restart a million times).
Again, thanks for everything. I'll definitely be there Friday and the weekend and can't wait to watch! Smiley
Edit history:
Magnum66: 2012-12-14 05:49:07 pm
Magnum66: 2012-12-14 05:48:54 pm
Magnum66: 2012-12-14 05:26:09 pm
Just now watching back on a stream you did on December 12th AdamAK and wow this is really entertaining! I wish I had been there for it. I also love how you explain everything you're doing and it makes me want to speedrun this game now and learn more. I never knew it was THAT glitchy, and all the tricks you are doing is insane. When are you next streaming so I absolutely don't miss it? Thanks!

Edit: Watching this back now I see you don't avoid being captured, why is that? It's possible as seen here:

But I always thought it wasn't practical because the electric field is in the way of the door to alexander and you can't get in the machinery room to shut it off. BUt if you can just do that OoB glitch and go over the electric field to Alexander, why not skip being captured?
Edit history:
Apjjm: 2012-12-15 11:52:18 am
What?
The chancel before and after being captured is actually two separate maps. Below is what happens if you try to skip past the chancel without getting caught first (old video - skip to about 45 seconds in):
The Dork Knight himself.
I'm assuming there's no way to get to the prison to trigger loading of the second chancel map without the orbs then right? Is the prison itself a special map or could there possibly be a way to clip to it?
Quote from Apjjm:
The chancel before and after being captured is actually two separate maps. Below is what happens if you try to skip past the chancel without getting caught first (old video - skip to about 45 seconds in):

Huh weird, AdamAK says that's what happens only if you don't collect the orb pieces. Oh well.
Edit history:
Apjjm: 2012-12-15 08:29:16 pm
Apjjm: 2012-12-15 08:07:39 pm
Apjjm: 2012-12-15 08:06:57 pm
What?
Quote from honorableJay:
I'm assuming there's no way to get to the prison to trigger loading of the second chancel map without the orbs then right? Is the prison itself a special map or could there possibly be a way to clip to it?

As far as i am aware no, sadly :(. IIRC (cant check right now!) in the level script the number of orb parts is checked when the map is entered, if the number of parts is 6 then it activates a trigger by the doorway at the top of the stairs - when you pass through this trigger the game will spawn the grunts and set a special checkpoint when you die. When you die a checkpoint callback is triggered which transitions you to the cells map.  The only way i could potentially see to sequence break past this area is to somehow trick the game into thinking you have 6 parts early (i.e. pick up certain pieces more than once - though i dont know how you could do this), as there seems to be no way to activate deactivated objects without assistance from the level script.

@Magnum - A level doorway's target map cannot be changed through the script, and the map remains the same until you have visited the prison so it shouldn't make a difference if you use the doorway after avoiding getting captured, or before having the orb pieces.

Since there are a tonne of tricks for this game, i was thinking about setting up a speedrun wiki for the amnesia series (HPL2 engine games). We could dedicate a page to each map and a page for a huge list of general glitches and tricks too. Bit of a big undertaking to do myself so would anyone be interested in this and helping out?

edit: adam i keep missing you stream Sad
Quote from Apjjm:
edit: adam i keep missing you stream Sad

Ugh, I missed it too Sad Sad
Main Work!!!
I think it would be appropriate there if I would help you Apjjm and I would be willing to do it with you!!!
Totally rad
I'd be happy to help with an Amnesia speed running page as well. There's a whole lot to record, so we can probably divide the work by splitting up rooms. We can make accompanying videos for all of the tricks as well; I already have a few on my Youtube channel anyway.
Main Work!!!
I do have a couple of one on my channel too(like 60 of them Tongue )!
Edit history:
tekkie: 2012-12-19 04:38:44 pm
~
Started working on running this a while ago. Still at 1:09:xx. Will get it better soon. Are quick saves/quick loads frowned upon? Besides using in emergencies (Daniel slipping off the damn edges on the ceilings) it also changes the state of environmental hazards. If you quick save/quick load in the Refinery, the boxes that block that little hole you crawl through are knocked over already when you get there, and since you arrive with a monster right on your tail that's very useful time to save.

edit: Also, I've found setting the alternate control for crouch to scroll wheel up and alt. control for jump to scroll wheel down to be very useful Smiley