Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Cool Matty: 2016-09-11 01:46:40 pm
Cool Matty: 2016-09-04 09:31:35 pm
Vulajin: 2016-08-03 06:08:32 pm
ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
Guidelines: http://gamesdonequick.com/submission-guide
Submissions will be open from 9/4 - 9/10.

Friendly reminder:
All runners who expect to be playing at any point of a run must submit.

Co-op Runs:
- If all players are visible on one VOD, and each runner's point of view doesn't differ, you can all submit the same video in your individual submissions.
- If you are unable to record a co-op run with your partner(s) due to things such as time/distance issues, a recording of each person individually playing a single-player mode will suffice as long as the co-op mode isn't drastically different.
- Basically, we need you to show that you and your partner(s) will be able to finish your specific run.

Feel free to ask submissions-related questions in this topic.
Thread title:  
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Quote from TheMG2:
Actually something that just came to mind with the gdq submission guidelines being released today is that it doesn't really cover co-op well.

The guidelines state:
Quote:
Run videos are a requirement with each submission.
Provide a full URL, including https://, to a complete run of this category played by you.

However unless the game provides online multiplayer, recording runs of co-op runs can be rather difficult. I'm curious if any clarification can be provided in the case of co-op.

Both players need to submit, but it's fine if it's the same video for both. Just make it obvious that you're both playing if you can.
Edit history:
TheMG2: 2016-08-02 03:18:42 pm
But what if you aren't able to record a co-op run with your partner in the first place due to distance etc.?

EDIT: What I'm basically asking is if equivalent videos of the solo version of the category be acceptable then?
Yes, that's acceptable, as long as the co-op run is likely to be substantially similar (i.e. the co-op mode isn't, like, a completely different game/campaign/style). This will at least establish that both runners are actually runners of the game, and if we're not familiar with the game, give us good examples of what its speedruns are like.
Edit history:
TheMG2: 2016-08-02 03:56:04 pm
Quote from Vulajin:
Yes, that's acceptable, as long as the co-op run is likely to be substantially similar (i.e. the co-op mode isn't, like, a completely different game/campaign/style). This will at least establish that both runners are actually runners of the game, and if we're not familiar with the game, give us good examples of what its speedruns are like.

Yep that's what I meant. Thanks for answering!
Edit history:
sumichu: 2016-08-02 04:08:32 pm
sumichu: 2016-08-02 04:06:33 pm
sumichu: 2016-08-02 04:06:18 pm
sumichu: 2016-08-02 04:05:46 pm
ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
Guidelines: http://gamesdonequick.com/submission-guide
Submissions will be open from 9/4 - 9/10.

Friendly reminder:
All runners who expect to be playing at any point of a run must submit.

Co-op Runs:
- If all players are visible on one VOD, and each runner's point of view doesn't differ, you can all submit the same video in your individual submissions.
- If you are unable to record a co-op run with your partner(s) due to things such as time/distance issues, a recording of each person individually playing a single-player mode will suffice as long as the co-op mode isn't drastically different.
- Basically, we need you to show that you and your partner(s) will be able to finish your specific run.

Feel free to ask submissions-related questions in this topic.
The Dork Knight himself.
I plan on submitting a game I ran during Scrubathon (with the highlight as the video), but I had a question about the commentary. Since that marathon was more casual, the language wasn't controlled like in a GDQ. While I wasn't cursing like a drunken sailor (from what I can remember), it's definitely not the kind of language I would use in a GDQ. Overdubbing on a twitch highlight isn't something that's easy to do, so should I submit that video and hope for the best or just use my PB highlight?
ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
Quote from honorableJay:
I plan on submitting a game I ran during Scrubathon (with the highlight as the video), but I had a question about the commentary. Since that marathon was more casual, the language wasn't controlled like in a GDQ. While I wasn't cursing like a drunken sailor (from what I can remember), it's definitely not the kind of language I would use in a GDQ. Overdubbing on a twitch highlight isn't something that's easy to do, so should I submit that video and hope for the best or just use my PB highlight?

I recommend downloading/recording the VOD and dubbing over it, especially if you feel your commentary is inappropriate but want to use that video in particular.  Otherwise, you might want to use your PB highlight.
Quote from Vulajin:

Because I intend on submitting a co-op speedrun, it is acceptable if we submit each submit identical videos, and having both of us on cam while we narrate what is happening and playing would be more than sufficient to explain the speedrun, that we both know the game, and that the submission video in question does is in fact the two of us playing, correct?
Quote from dangodofthunder:
Because I intend on submitting a co-op speedrun, it is acceptable if we submit each submit identical videos, and having both of us on cam while we narrate what is happening and playing would be more than sufficient to explain the speedrun, that we both know the game, and that the submission video in question does is in fact the two of us playing, correct?

Yes.
Bad Sandwich
Pretty sure I can't see any information on the Game Submission Guide referring to how many runs we're allowed to submit. I assume it's still 5 per runner, but I'd like to know in advance if it's changed.
It's staying at 5 games and 4 categories per game as it was for SGDQ 2016. Dunno how we lost that bit of text, but we'll get it added back.
Will the game list/scheduling committee be the same as sgdq 2016?
Yep, Breakdown, Sumi, I, and the same two anonymous members will be making game selections again.
#FailFish
Question for staff:

I'm trying to coordinate people to submit a DKC Trilogy Relay Race (basically, 2 or 3 teams of 3 runners completing the 3 SNES classics in a row). A few questions have come up on how we should submit this.

Our ideal scenario will be to put together a submission video with all the teams set and a couple people announcing the race, so that it would look somewhat similar to how the marathon run would go. This would make submitting easy, as all runners could just use that video.  However, it might be difficult to coordinate that, as finding time in the next few weeks to get up to 11 people together (3 teams of 3 plus 2 announcers) could be tricky.

So in the more likely case that we don't get that done, what would the best way be to submit this?  Have every runner submit the game/category they're doing and then include "Trilogy Relay" as an extra category or something? Just mention it in the text of the submission?

Beyond that, how should we handle backups? In the event that it gets accepted and a runner or two isn't able to  make it, could we as a community decide who could take their place? There are a lot of runners interested who are capable of doing more than one run, and a few players we have in mind as backups for one or two games. Does everybody need to submit every run they could possibly be a backup for? Or could we rearrange the teams later sort of at our own discretion (within reason).

Thanks! Let me know if that made sense or if there are any other questions about what we're trying to do.
Apologies for the slow response - I told the others I would answer and then promptly forgot to do so. <_<

First things first: every runner and potential backup runner for a relay needs to make a submission for the game and category they would play in the relay. If one runner will be offering to be primary for one game and backup for another game, he must offer both of those games himself. In terms of how to write that submission, it can be either of the things you specified: they can put in a category of "Trilogy Relay" under the game they're offering, or they can just offer the category and mention the relay in their submission text. We can sort it out either way.

If, during the submission period, you want to post here to clarify the people intended to be part of your relay offer, including backups, and which games they're covering, that will be okay. We can then help you make sure everyone gets the right submissions in.

As for if you're able to organize a relay-style recording, that would be fantastic but definitely not required. Any of the people who participate in that recording would be able to use it as their video for their submission of the game/category they ran in that video. Anyone else would need to have a video of themselves completing a run. If you're not able to do this, it's fine - just have the runners submit with their own run recordings.

The above answers apply generally for anyone who's organizing a relay-style submission. Please let me know if you need any clarification.
The ruler of Chaos and speedruns
If I can get some equipment together I could look into submitting SpongeBob battle for binki bottom and Klonoa 2.

Is there any way I can request to be on in a certain timeslot? I think a game like Klonoa 2 is perfect for a chill part of the stream.
No. After games are selected, the schedule is determined based on a wide range of factors. Runner availability is one such factor, and we will not schedule you on a day that you are not at the event, but we can't accept requests for specific time slots.
Edit history:
GhostKingG1: 2016-08-24 05:53:47 am
GhostKingG1: 2016-08-24 05:52:07 am
GhostKingG1: 2016-08-24 05:48:42 am
Why Hello it is Me
Two questions regarding relay/co-op (Or whatever we call a run in which multiple runners divide up a game into sections and trade off the controller, similar to the AGDQ 2016 Majora's Mask run):

-Can we offer a game as a relay but also leave it open to a Single runner (probably with the best time) running the game? There is one game that I'm considering offering as part of a relay, but I don't want to suggest for a runner who has a better time than me with it that it's all or nothing and that a relay would be the only way to do the game. Would we need to reflect that in our pitch or would that just be assumed by the staff if they decide "we want this game but only want a single runner who has the best time"? (e.g. the game being accepted for one person and backup/rejected for the others)

-Should the game get accepted and one of the runners drop (heaven forbid), making a 4 man relay a 3 man relay, does anything change regarding the run being in the event or are we just expected to take a bigger share of the run per person?

I feel those are rather specific concerns but I would at least like to check just in case.
Hey!  This will be the first GDQ event that I will be submitting/attending.  Quick question about registration.  If we are submitting a game, would it be prudent to wait to register for the event until after we have been told we are accepted/not accepted?  The question I'm really asking is, is there a special promotional price of registration for runners?  Or does the $50 apply to anyone, runner or not?
Quote from KaizenMa:
is there a special promotional price of registration for runners?  Or does the $50 apply to anyone, runner or not?

If I remember correctly for the last two events, volunteers and runners were refunded the full registration price.
I just finished my registration, and I noticed a few details on the forms that I guess weren't updated from SGDQ. There was a reference to the marathon being in Central Time instead of Eastern Time, and it mentioned teardown after the marathon was on the 10th instead of the 15th (or 16th, not sure). Just wanted to mention this in case anyone gets confused by this.
Quote from Mikan:
Quote from KaizenMa:
is there a special promotional price of registration for runners?  Or does the $50 apply to anyone, runner or not?

If I remember correctly for the last two events, volunteers and runners were refunded the full registration price.

Volunteers had their registration fees refunded after being accepted as volunteers, yeah.

The last two GDQs didn't even open up registration until after the games list was posted though, so runners were just not charged registration fees at all. I'd assume that, this time around, any runners that do pay registration fees will have their fees refunded if they have runs accepted.
So yesterday I did commentary for a longer run I wanted to submit, but unfortunately as I was streaming it the VOD cut in 2 thanks to Twitch's quality options. Being from Australia and haven't received the NBN yet, uploading directly from my computer to YouTube (or any other video hosting site) takes way too long. Is it okay to have the commentary video for submission in 2 parts?
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Grygor:
Quote from Mikan:
Quote from KaizenMa:

Volunteers had their registration fees refunded after being accepted as volunteers, yeah.

The last two GDQs didn't even open up registration until after the games list was posted though, so runners were just not charged registration fees at all. I'd assume that, this time around, any runners that do pay registration fees will have their fees refunded if they have runs accepted.

Quoting right from the site (on the profile page):

Quote:
Runners:

Runners with a submission that is Accepted, on Backup, or a Bonus run will have their registration fee waived. However, runners must register by October 15th at 11:59PM PDT, or they will be dropped from the schedule. Runners who are dropped in this manner will need to pay for their attendee registration if they still wish to attend. Runners who have already paid for their registration will receive a refund to the card it was charged on when they are selected for the event.

Volunteers:

Volunteers who are selected to assist in AGDQ2017 will be free. If you register prior to being selected as one of our volunteers, your registration fee will be refunded to the card it was charged on.