<- 12345678 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
<(^_^)>
Quote from Miles:
Apparently I forgot to post about the Fusion Suit in Prime. So, yeah, bid war between Fusion Suit and Regular Suit.

Plz fusion suit lose
SDA Represent!
Yo, don't forget shirtless donation for me for MMX race.

Also, the pizza speedrun race, and the Caleb radio voice commentary tagteam Golden doing DBZ narrator voice for donation read-offs.
Quote from Caleb Hart:
Yo, don't forget shirtless donation for me for MMX race.

Also, the pizza speedrun race, and the Caleb radio voice commentary tagteam Golden doing DBZ narrator voice for donation read-offs.

Hadn't heard about the donation reading incentive before. Is that for a particular game? I'd hate for the donation reading to distract from a run, unless the runner is explicitly cool with it beforehand I guess.
SDA Represent!
Yeah. It can literally be for any game, and it is entirely up to the runner if they are cool with it.
Edit history:
SMK: 2013-12-23 10:52:23 am
Hey, I need a little more information on some of these donation incentives for entering into the tracker:

Age of Empires 2: I'm completely unfamiliar with this game, what are the scenarios?
Portal: So, are the runners okay with the Non-OOB/OOB bid war?
Pokémon: What pokémons (pokémen?) can be named? (or would you rather stick only to trainer/rival)
Perfect Dark: Is there a character limit on the file name? Thanks Rayan Isran!
Paper Mario: What is the character name limit?
Wind Waker HD: I'm going to assume the character name limit is 8 in the HD version, or did they change that?

Thanks.
File name limit for Perfect Dark is 10 characters.
Professional Shaq Fu Speedrunner
Japanese Paper Mario character limit is 8 characters. But keep in mind that it only allows for Japanese character input.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
AoE2: You'd have to ask Barbarossa89.

Portal: I'm asking the runners right now.

Pokemon: No idea, ask werster.

Paper Mario: Hmmm, maybe it's better that this isn't a bid war if it's only japanese characters.

Wind Waker HD: I'm asking Cosmo.
Hey, quick [super minor] note, the "Setting Sail, Comming Home Duet" incentive has a typo (the word "coming" obv.).

Also, I was just poking around the tracker and stumbled upon a debug output page. Is it too early for bug reports, or should I PM something to someone?
Ate the extra spicy banana
You know Vulajin, you could add another to choose between restoration and evacuation endings (though you'd have to pickup the hidebound journal from PB).
I already did. :p
SMK: AoE2 scenarios that can be done at a marathon are here. https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/agdq_2014_practice_thread_267.html
Edit history:
Blood Thunder: 2013-12-24 11:00:58 am
BioShock Donation incentive:

I've been keeping a small trick to myself for the pass few months that I've been trying to hype up to show off at AGDQ (haven't told anyone what the trick is quite yet), we could make it a donation incentive to have me finally show it off.

Still trying to figure out something for Quantum Conundrum, it's just hard to tell what would actually be worth making into an incentive.
Edit history:
Dime: 2013-12-26 04:31:20 pm
Not sure if this is too late but I mentioned the incentive wayyyy back in the initial AGDQ threads and after enough testing, unleashing the arch-viles makes hunted significantly harder than getting the trigger skip and I believe
it should be an incentive/challenge.

http://www.twitch.tv/kingdime/c/3451561

"Archvile Fury" or "Unleashing The Arch-viles" should be enough to define what happens with this incentive. Normally in the map, you attempt to do a trigger skip to make sure the least amount of arch-viles enter the maze instead
of all 14.

I don't feel like I explained it well enough so hopefully the video gives a better idea.
I'd like to add for the Perfect Dark donation incentive that the character limit for the file name is 10.
Edit history:
yoshifan: 2013-12-29 02:43:33 pm
Super Mario Galaxy 2:

Unfortunately, I don't have anything I definitely want for donation incentives yet. But since it's so close to the marathon, and since Galaxy 2 is a pretty darn long game to go without incentives, I think I should at least mention a few possibilities, and see what you guys think of them.

1. File planet's Mii. Each file on the file select screen is represented by a planet. The planet can either be a Mario character's head, or a Mii's head (example video here). Would be a bid war for Mii choice (between some Miis that are prepared in advance), and decided by the start of the run.

There's not much you can do with this other than show it off for a few seconds at the beginning before starting the run, and possibly at the end if we get past the ending and credits (more on that later). You can also spin the head around with your pointer, although this is not shown in the video. I see this idea as an extension of all the filename bid wars in other games, but it would require a bit more preparation/explanation and you'd still only see it for a few seconds.

2. Attempting a death glitch at the end of the credits (example video here). The ending and credits would add about 6.5 minutes to the run. The first 4.5 minutes don't have much going on, but after that I get Yoshi and can show off some stuff, ending with the death glitch.

All I have to do is start fluttering after the cake screen starts and before Yoshi and Mario drop too far, and then I have to not mess up the flutter. I think the glitch would get some good reactions, but unfortunately it's not guaranteed, because I have a limited amount of time to do it before the death trigger disappears. I'd say I have a 95% chance of making it.

3. Doing a bonus star at the end. The issue here is that I haven't practiced The Perfect Run, and doing any star other than that one would very much seem like a cop-out. The Perfect Run is inarguably Galaxy 2's ultimate challenge; it's a difficult, long stage where you're not allowed to get hit or restart from checkpoints. When done fast, it would take about 3 minutes. I would probably allow at most 2 good attempts at beating this level, as it could drag on if it's any more than that.

I will see if I get time to practice The Perfect Run (I'm still caught up with practice of the main run, but my run's pretty late in the marathon), and get back to you on this. For the record, the next best bonus star I can think of is Throwback Throwdown Speed Run, which is a boss rush of 5 bosses from Galaxy 1; the level would take 3-4 minutes due to being able to skip cutscenes. As much as I like that star, though, I feel that offering a bonus star without offering the Perfect Run could be a downer to the end of the run.

I think the best I could come up with is something like: "Credits glitch attempt vs. Perfect Run attempt bid war". The reason is that the credits glitch already wraps up the run pretty well, so doing both wouldn't feel necessary after that. Again, two issues: nothing is guaranteed to succeed (this is unavoidable), and I still need to practice Perfect Run (I might fix this later).
Edit history:
SMK: 2013-12-29 03:05:42 pm
Quote from mikwuyma:
Paper Mario: Hmmm, maybe it's better that this isn't a bid war if it's only japanese characters.
Yeah, I don't really see that working otherwise, I'll drop it for now, unless someone can suggest a better solution (maybe choose from a pre-made set of choices?  Someone who can read/write Japanese would have to come up with something clever).

Quote from mikwuyma:
SMK: AoE2 scenarios that can be done at a marathon are here. https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/agdq_2014_practice_thread_267.html

Thanks, I'm only adding the 5 listed as 'most interesting', since having a billion options will not work.  I'm going to try PMing Barbarossa89 about how to describe them.

Quote from Vulajin:
Hey, quick [super minor] note, the "Setting Sail, Comming Home Duet" incentive has a typo (the word "coming" obv.).
Also, I was just poking around the tracker and stumbled upon a debug output page. Is it too early for bug reports, or should I PM something to someone?

Fixed the bid. Also, yeah, I'm still doing some stuff so it'll be in Debug mode for a bit.  Never too early or too late, PM me the details ASAP please.
Oh yeah I forgot to say this, but I talked to znernicus in a pm and he's fine with the oob vs. in-bounds bid war. azorae hasn't responded, but I'd assume he's fine with it too (I am sending him another message just to confirm).
Keeper of TASBot
I am still trying to hammer out what the best options are for a bid war between two games in the TAS block, and I'm looking for suggestions.  I am personally bringing the following games I know sync on my own hardware:  SMB1, SMB2, SMB3, Tetris (all run types), A Boy and His Blob, Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden III, Marble Madness, and Super Mario All-Stars: Lost Levels (I need to re-confirm this last one still works on the current firmware).  Out of that list, are there any personal favorites for which games would look the best?  Feel free to review http://tasvideos.org/Movies-Verified.html for the complete list of possibilities.

My first inclination is to pit SMB2 against SMB3 (both are ~10 minutes long), but the rest of the TAS block is already Mario heavy so perhaps A Boy and His Blob vs. Tetris 9999999 would be a better choice.  Thoughts?
I don't know if A Boy and His Blob would be a good game for the TAS Block because the run I'll be doing is the same exact route and glitches. I know the timing we use for RTA is a little different but I believe that my PB is only like ~5 seconds behind the TAS iirc. I'm not saying to completely ignore it, just throwing in my two cents.
Keeper of TASBot
Quote from Zephyrz:
I don't know if A Boy and His Blob would be a good game for the TAS Block because the run I'll be doing is the same exact route and glitches. I know the timing we use for RTA is a little different but I believe that my PB is only like ~5 seconds behind the TAS iirc. I'm not saying to completely ignore it, just throwing in my two cents.

Very good point - I just did the console verification of A Boy and His Blob and from start to finish it took me a little over two minutes to demonstrate the 1:41.73 TAS time.  It looks like your block is 10 minutes long, so perhaps if there's time in your block we can show the TAS then to show how close you are to the theoretical limit in the same style as andrewg's SMB1 demonstrations.  For the record, I would want to always ensure the emphasis is on demonstrating how skilled and close to perfecton runners are  at any point that a TAS is shown next to a human speedrun.
MrGrunz is a guay
If its not too late, I can do a glitch demonstration for OoT.  It should only be about 5 minutes and the run is likely to be far under estimate as it is.
dwangoAC: I'd vote for one of the Tetris runs vs. Marble Madness, as that seems least-overlapped with other games on the schedule, and variety is a good thing.
Dime: I never responded but that doesn't look like a terribly enticing challenge. I know it's super difficult, but it just doesn't seem that entertaining. Maybe I'm wrong? I feel like someone with more Doom experience should weigh in.

ZFG: That can be added. I'm not sure what the target should be, but it should be at least 5k.

Now I am posting because we have a very special donation incentive this year.

http://www.simonviklund.com/index.php#post81

Now if you don't know who Simon Viklund is, he's the guy who composed the soundtrack for Bionic Commando Rearmed (and did a damn good job). More recently, he composed the soundtrack for Payday 2.

Basically, for 48 hours from the beginning of the marathon, (January 5th-7th noon), there will be a donation war for Simon to mix track(s) from one NES game on our game list, which means these games are eligible.

Kirby's Adventure
Mega Man
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 9? (technically not NES but close enough I guess)
Little Nemo
A Boy and His Blob
Kabuki Quantum Fighter
Journey to Silius
Batman
Battletoads
Kid Icarus
Bucky O'Hare
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (I'm sure this will win Wink )
Contra Force
Contra
Super C
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden 2
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

After one of the games wins, he'll stream the process of composing on his twitch channel, http://www.twitch.tv/simonviklund. We'll play the track in between one of our games when he's finished.
Edit history:
Dime: 2013-12-31 11:12:40 pm
Granted the challenges mostly seem to be modes or levels I think ill stick it into the run anyhow

as far as entertainment if 14 archviles chasing me around is
boring then anything outside of glitches
count as boring content