romscout: 2010-10-03 05:05:56 pm
romscout: 2010-10-03 10:49:04 am
romscout: 2010-10-03 09:41:55 am
romscout: 2010-10-03 02:13:00 am
mikwuyma: 2010-10-03 01:34:53 am
romscout: 2010-10-03 01:19:51 am
romscout: 2010-10-03 01:17:54 am
that Metroidvania guy
Anyone who was around for the last marathon surely remembers the FF6 name wars that raised about 20% of the total donations, Kareshi going through GnG with the torch for money, and other such shenanigans (okay the marathon was all about shirtless Frezy during Contra and forcing MTI to play Teenage Mutant Acid Turtles, I know). Some of the donation ideas for runs were planned ahead of time, but a lot of them were basically made up on the spot. This time, how about we try to have more planned ahead of time so we can be a little more prepared when new runs come up?

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvcQB6Uj-946dE9YS1JpME1fMFlJSmhRWVJRakg5anc&hl=en#gid=0

View that spreadsheet for the current marathon schedule that is currently going through cuts. If you are running a game on there or are familiar with any of the games listed, go ahead and give some ideas of things that can be donated for as the game is played. What we're looking at for the most part are conditions, alternate routes, character names, etc. but if you can come up with something wacky and creative that'd be cool, too. Perhaps some specific speed tricks that are pretty crazy (like we had for Sonic series last year) would work, as speed buffs are always willing to throw down some money to see those. Refer to the list of current ideas we have if you need help understanding. I can also start a separate list for donation ideas that are non-game specific, such as prize ideas or something... I dunno.

CURRENT DONATION IDEAS

Game-specific:
-Aladdin: will raise difficulty for donations
-Castle Crashers: character choices, include All You Can Quaff (button mash contest) during downtime (both maybes)
-Castlevania 3: character choices, route choices
-Chrono Trigger: naming new characters
-Contra series: no weapons, specific weapon
-Earthworm Jim: include bonus level "Who turned out the lights?" at the conclusion of the race
-Final Fantasy IV: Namingway abuse! (this could lead to World War III and put countries in debt, be careful)
-Final Fight: character choices
-Gunstar Heroes: write words with flame chaser
-Katamari Damacy: donate to keep Arrow from singing along with Que Sera Sera and Lonely Rolling Star
-Kingdom Hearts II: Gummy routes scoring, potential blindfolded attempt at Xaldin
-Kirby Super Star: adding Gourmet Race (1p) and the Arena (2p); these are optional games (adds 5-10 min)
-Mario Kart 64: character choices per player and per cup (easy $$$); choice of 150cc or Mirror (just an excuse to make people pay to see Toad's Turnpike backwards)
-Lego Star Wars: donations for cosmetic changes
-Mega Man X2: choice of any% or 100%
-Mega Man X4: choice of any% or 100%, choice of X or Zero
-Metal Slug 3: character choices, route choices (maybe?)
-Metroid Fusion: donations to get the secret message
-Pokemon Blue: naming trainers and Pokemon
-Resident Evil series: character choices
-SMB2J (Lost Levels): choice of Mario or Luigi
-Streets of Rage 2: character choices (maybe?)
-Tetris Attack: character choice during cave section
-TMNT4: character choices
-Trials HD: beating game within certain # of faults, beating track in certain # of faults, beating track on Micro Donkey
-Uncharted 2: what costume to wear
-Zelda: File names

Not so game-specific:
-PJ will race in a Genesis game using a trackball. Wow.
-Playing a short NES game (SMB?) with the Power Glove
-Auction off signed carts/discs from speed runners
-Bid on race winners to be eligible for a prize
-Donate for Uyama to sing during runs, or be like that one guy and donate to make him stop
Thread title:  
Edit history:
PJ: 2010-10-03 01:35:36 am
PJ: 2010-10-03 01:35:21 am
Is PJ
I already said I can learn to play Btoads blindfolded if there's a way for me to hear game audio instead of piano (sorry kareshi!).  The only issue there is that it would take away from the race between me and Emptyeye.  :/  I could take donations to do specific glitches, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who even knows about some of them so that won't work.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that none of my games are applicable.

Edit:  I'd donate to get kareshi to run SGnG with the Axe and/or Triblade, but that's random and mostly impossible.  I love those weapons though.

I also mentioned wanting to do a Genesis race with someone on some game using the Atari 2600 controller (or ideally the 2600 trackball).  I'm not even joking.  I'll buy the controller if someone lets me borrow the game to learn.  I imagine a trackball race might get some donations from somebody.
Exoray
For Aladdin I'm planning on playing on the lowest difficulty, but considering taking donations to instead play on the highest difficulty (don't worry mike, run time changes with 30 seconds at most).

For Earthworm Jim we could take donations to include the hidden bonus level "Who turned out the lights?" at the end. This level was not included in the genesis version but can still be reached from the developer screen.
Moo! Flap! Hug!
Quote:
Final Fantasy IV: Namingway abuse! (this could lead to World War III and put countries in debt, be careful)

Any ideas how to track donations for various Namingway time-character combinations?  I mean, if someone makes a $20 donation for the name of Cid as he throws himself out of the airship, is there a decent way to track these donations?
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Poxnor:
Quote:
Final Fantasy IV: Namingway abuse! (this could lead to World War III and put countries in debt, be careful)

Any ideas how to track donations for various Namingway time-character combinations?  I mean, if someone makes a $20 donation for the name of Cid as he throws himself out of the airship, is there a decent way to track these donations?

It should be easy to make a program to keep track of them for you, even with something like Visual Basic.

Quote:
I also mentioned wanting to do a Genesis race with someone on some game using the Atari 2600 controller (or ideally the 2600 trackball).  I'm not even joking.  I'll buy the controller if someone lets me borrow the game to learn.  I imagine a trackball race might get some donations from somebody.

I don't have the trackball, but I do have joystick and paddle Atari 2600 controllers.
We all scream for Eyes Cream
Devil May Cry 3 can be  added for whether I play as Dante or Vergil, however I might ask Mike to take it off the schedule since I can't practice it at the moment due to a broken controller.
Willing to teach you the impossible
Contra and Super C - Weapons, no weapons (I just hope not for Super C), or a specific weapon (I am sure Laser or Fire will be picked)

MMX2 - 100%, Any%, Low% (this might make the run be a failure though, but could also lead to donations to get a completed run?), rout changes (This could be really fun for me since I can do almost all stages buster only)

Double Dragon - Can't really think of any... Punch only for first stages (can not be done for stages 3 and 4, I have tried)?? but that would really slow the run down a bunch, and is not safe by any means
Everybody's favorite monster
Banjo-Kazooie - Any% or 100%
Visit my profile to see my runs!
For donation: someone will play something short [like Mario Bros] with the Power Glove. 

(Other ridiculously gimmicky controller ideas are welcome)
I don't know how to use it though...
I want off the ride....
Quote from Poxnor:
Quote:

That wouldn't be allowed. As that is after the last time Cid is available to the party..., if its really a problem I can get a list of times (avg) for each name to be open. And generally its pretty easy to tell (cause i'll call them out) on which names will be locked for the rest of the game.
After they are out of your party, they are out of my hands in naming..
A. Edward is un-nameable after Fabul
B. Palom Porom are un-nameable after Baron (return, cagnazzo fight)
C. Tellah is Unnameable at tower of zot
D. Cid is unnameable just before cal/brina fight
E. Yang is unnameable after leaving dwarf castle ("dies" in babil)
F. FuSoYa is only nameable on moon (if i can find the namingway cave.. ugh);
G. kain has limited times for naming, but final call for names will be BEFORE i actually start on the moon path for the last time.

if someone donates for a name after they are unavailable, they will have to change who the target is or its just a donation.... sad fact but its true.
DS Dictator
(VERY Likely) Pokemon Blue

Nicknaming the trainers and Pokés

(Pretty likely) Castle Crashers

All you can quaff (button mashing contest, filler material for fun before next game)

(Likely) Altered Beast

I'm sure there is a in-game cheat code to playthrough the game on harder difficulties Wink

(Less likely) Trials HD

An Extreme track perhaps.
What is the plan for this game (all Indvidual Levels + DLC(?))
Edit history:
Pootrain: 2010-10-03 08:53:58 am
train kept rollin
Quote from Greenalink:
(Less likely) Trials HD

An Extreme track perhaps.
What is the plan for this game (all Indvidual Levels + DLC(?))

I will be playing through the 1st levels to the end of the extreme levels, I dont think mike has the dlc and that would put the time well over 30 mins plus I've not got them down any where near as tight.

Donations could be made for :
Beating the game in under a certain amount of faults  (I have beaten every level with 0 faults but thats not gonna happen in an SS)
Beaing  level X with no/less then Y faults
Beat  level X on the Micro Donkey
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from InsipidMuckyWater:
For donation: someone will play something short [like Mario Bros] with the Power Glove. 

(Other ridiculously gimmicky controller ideas are welcome)

Quote from Heidman:
I don't know how to use it though...

Don't worry, there's a control pad right on the glove. Unless you want to use it with the finger motions, then (iirc) those change with each game, and I remember Double Dragon being very touchy.
Edit history:
aleckermit: 2010-10-03 11:28:19 am
aleckermit: 2010-10-03 11:27:03 am
aleckermit: 2010-10-03 11:26:25 am
aleckermit: 2010-10-03 11:25:01 am
aleckermit: 2010-10-03 11:24:18 am
aleckermit: 2010-10-03 10:55:42 am
aleckermit: 2010-10-03 10:52:26 am
aleckermit: 2010-10-03 10:38:38 am
I had an idea that we could auction-off a signed game that a speedrunner used in the marathon to a highest donator within an auction time.

For example: Mike Uyama signs and dates the Contra 3 cart he uses and lets the highest donator during a set time win the cart. I understand not everyone has multiple duplicates of their games but we could auction maybe just 3 signed games or so. SMB/DH signed by Andrewg would be a good one for example since it's very popular, andrewg is very good, and it's a dirt-cheap game. It would be best if the speedrunner signed the game, then put it in the console to speedrun it, then after finishing the run (or during the run itself) immediately start the donation auction for the game.

As a collector myself, I guarantee it would bring some major bucks. If I mentioned on Nintendo Age (huge collector site) that actual-played signed carts would be auctioned off they'd jump all over it.
^^^^^agree with alecker's post

smb2j: donations for mario or luigi
spread the dirt to the populace
Castlevania 3: Donations for character choice + routes.  I will learn the Sunken City and the Alucard levels with other characters...
donations for me to get the secret message in metroid fusion. even though i don't really want to. >_>
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from BioSpark:
donations for me to get the secret message in metroid fusion. even though i don't really want to. >_>

Isn't it easier to do it on the Japanese version then the US version, due to placement of the puffers?  Or am I remembering it backwards?
you've kinda got it backwards. but you're also talking about the cheap and easy way to do it. the legitimate way is a series of tricky shinesparks. but yes in the us version you can just freeze one of those creature things and avoid all that.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I think some people are taking this a bit too far. These ideas don't apply to every game, and you don't have to make your % flexible. I just added the idea to MMX4 because the change to 100% isn't really much of a change, aside from a different boss route.

Trekhaak: I know we've gone over this in #sda, but that's a good idea, since any% and 100% aren't much different.

IMW: Not a bad idea, if we only do it for about 5-10 minutes.

pootrain: That is correct, I don't have the dlc.

Aleckermit: We went over this in IRC, but I might as well post here. I don't think the idea as big as you think it is, but it's a good idea nonetheless.

Josh: I never thought of doing Alucard levels with other characters, but it only makes sense.

Cyghfer: If andrewg is okay with it, that sounds like a great idea.

Heidman: You don't have to do extra challenges for any of those games. None of the games you're running really lend themselves to extra challenges, and punch-only sounds like a recipe for failure in Double Dragon.

Quote from Axel Ryman:
Devil May Cry 3 can be  added for whether I play as Dante or Vergil, however I might ask Mike to take it off the schedule since I can't practice it at the moment due to a broken controller.

You don't have to ask me, I'm taking the game off the schedule if you can't even practice it. However, this raises the question of how you will practice Kingdom Hearts 2.
Talk to the Hand
Can the "donate to choose characters" that Mike and I will be doing for FF also be applied to Streets of Rage 2?
that Metroidvania guy
iirc yama said he was unsure about that practice-wise, but i'll put it as a maybe
SEGA Junkie
Quote from mikwuyma:
Trekhaak: I know we've gone over this in #sda, but that's a good idea, since any% and 100% aren't much different.

I'm actually increasingly thinking that this is not such a good idea, not just because 100% is ~20 minutes longer on its own, but if you do a 100% run you have -no- margin for error. If you die once you can lose anything up to 10 minutes depending on how deep in the level you were (and whether or not the level has a transformation!). Sure you'd have more health but then you have levels like Rusty Bucket Bay which have multiple ways to fuck you over.
Quote from aleckermit:
I had an idea that we could auction-off a signed game that a speedrunner used in the marathon to a highest donator within an auction time.

For example: Mike Uyama signs and dates the Contra 3 cart he uses and lets the highest donator during a set time win the cart. I understand not everyone has multiple duplicates of their games but we could auction maybe just 3 signed games or so. SMB/DH signed by Andrewg would be a good one for example since it's very popular, andrewg is very good, and it's a dirt-cheap game. It would be best if the speedrunner signed the game, then put it in the console to speedrun it, then after finishing the run (or during the run itself) immediately start the donation auction for the game.

As a collector myself, I guarantee it would bring some major bucks. If I mentioned on Nintendo Age (huge collector site) that actual-played signed carts would be auctioned off they'd jump all over it.

Actually, I am all for this idea.As of right now (this may change), I can part with Super C and Double Dragon. If anything, Super C will sell.

Quote from mikwuyma:
Heidman: You don't have to do extra challenges for any of those games. None of the games you're running really lend themselves to extra challenges, and punch-only sounds like a recipe for failure in Double Dragon.

Me and Rom talked this out, and I don't think I could do it anyway. I was just throwing out ideas.