Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2008-11-11 05:44:31 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
The run does show improvement in a lot of categories, more fights went better (apocolypse for one) and did faster movement, especially with psylocke. better fight strat with psy vs Alien queen. All in all, this run shows very good speed and skill, but has a few mishaps (missed combo with beast in opening missions, and a bit of bad luck in the final stage)
Overall I say he took the last rejection right and fixed most of his errors but unfortunately a few came in to screw him up. I approve

Another verifier said the run was better, but there were still some bad parts, like the Avalon, and the Apocalypse battle. He said there was still room for improvement and that the runner should improve the run.

The third verifier seemed to have fallen off the face of the earth.

This is the message I sent the runner (yes, I was a verifier).

Quote:
I haven't given you the verdict yet because the last verifier hasn't responded. But, he seems to have dropped off the site, so I'm going to give you my verdict.

The run is definitely better, but it's really borderline right now in my opinion. You do some areas flawlessly, but others look like they could be improved with better strategies. Also, you should headbutt with Beast, there really isn't any excuse not to do so.

Beast's Stage: Wouldn't the midboss be faster if you started butt stomping deep inside the robot instead of butt stomping the top?

When fighting the Sentinels, you're inconsistent about butt stomping them. You always do three deep buttstomps, but afterwards you either do three buttstomps on the very top, or drop down a bit, do two, then land and do a final one. I'm pretty sure the latter method is faster.

Gambit's stage: Mostly flawless really, but your explosive barrel timing could be a lot better. The barrel doesn't actually hurt anything until the flame hits the ground, so you want to time it so that the flame hits the ground right as the last set of enemies appear.

Cyclops: I think it's faster to slide off edges, since you don't have the post-slide recovery lag when fall off. Other than that, good job.

Psylocke:  Can you hit the mid-boss while he is flying up? You might want to try using the bouncing jump kick. Do you think the same tactic would work well against the Sentinel? Or would that be slower?

Wolverine:  Can you wall jump from wall to wall? Would dragon punching the boss be any faster? BTW, nice job wrecking the midboss.

Brood Lair: Why are you walking on the tops of the trucks? You should at least slide once before jumping. Is it really necessary to destroy all of those cocoons? It looks like you only needed to destroy the second set. Constantly staying in the air and jump kicking/bounce kicking off the Brood Queen's face is faster than what you did.

Tusk's Stage: You should either let Tusk charge to the left so you can hit him in the left, or you go all out and push him to the right. Either way, you want to try to fit in as many two-hit headbutts coupled with lava drops as possible.

Apocalypse's stage: Can beast be used in this stage like the tas? He has a jumping punch infinite against Apocalypse, but I'm not sure how difficult the timing is. Anyways, you used a really beefy combo against Apocalypse the first time, then you immediately reverted back to dash punches. Why? The first combo obviously hit for better damage.

Omega Red battle: When Omega Red was far away from you, was it possible to use a jumping punch, then pummel him, instead of headbutting from a distance?

Juggernaut: Nothing to say, that battle looked perfect.

Avalon: Ouch Sad Your Exodus battle was good though. Does the boss always move from side to side, or is its movement random? If the answer is the former, then I'm not sure why you hesitated moving to the right, as that cost you a bunch of time. Good Magneto battle.

Despite all of this criticism, the run is acceptable as is, and I can put it up on the site. However, I suggest you improve it since there are some strategies and mistakes that can easily be fixed.

Decision: Reject

Reason: Even though the run was pretty good, there is still a lot of room for improvements, as you can see from the message I gave the runner.
Thread title:  
One warning, if you want a copy of this run, then PM me before Monday because I'll be taking the run down then.
Game page: Doesn't exist yet.

Jeremy 'DK28' Doll's single-segment run

Verifier Responses:

Quote:
I wrote a lot of this while watching (pausing and then making notes), so the wording kind of reflects that. Still, I think it was a better idea to note these things while they were fresh in my mind. Copy/paste:

Got hit by a speed bike in the first freaking stage.

Cyclops was a tad rough otherwise. Namely, the optic blasts for the post-bridge groups seemed a bit off. Perhaps I've just forgotten when the enemies show up exactly.

Wolverine was nice.

Beast was great, other than the hit he took at the end. He should've picked Beast first to minimize risk, but oh well.

Gambit was mostly good stuff. I really liked the combo on the buff guy near the end, but the early knockdown burned a bit. I suppose the need to get to the other side of the screen anyway sort of offset it though.

Psylocke was a bit rough. The initial Psychic Knife on the three brown dudes was awesome, but the combos kind of when downhill from there. I liked the Neckbreaker on the gun guy before the miniboss though. The miniboss itself went about as well as you can probably expect that far in, without being a little anal.

Possibly worth noting that the Sentinel fight ended in a nice way, but the knockdown was ugly.

Very rough Queen Brood stage. If that is the Avalon or Magneto of this run though, I can't say it's too bad.

^ Actually, now that I've viewed the entire video, I can say that really was the Avalon/Magneto...but on a somewhat lesser scale.

Tusk went extremely well.

The Apocalypse stage was a bit on the slow side (or so it seems), but Beast moves like a cow anyway. I didn't expect the Apocalypse fight strategy at all, and it's just a shame that he failed to keep the combo going the whole time. He misjudged the headbutt damage near the end, which had to have burned a bit. Overall though, I like that fight.

I don't understand why he did the jump attack combo at the end of Omega Red, but the fight went well regardless.

Juggernaut went perfectly.

Avalon went well for the most part, though that headbutt into the spark was a bit painful. I kind of wonder why he didn't use the ceiling walk at around 16:56 though, since it probably would've been quicker than walking that short distance normally. Not a huge deal either way.

Worth noting that Exodus and the Avalon boss went very well.

Magneto started out looking a bit rough, but then the dude got absurdly lucky with all the attacks Magneto decided to do in a row without dancing around (wow). I also liked the longer combo he got on Magneto at one point.

Overall, I'd say this run is quite acceptable. The only things that really stick out like a sore thumb to me are the Cyclops bike mistake and the Queen Brood stage. The Cyclops mistake should never have been accepted, considering the run hadn't even reached the one minute point yet and it's not hard at all to do that part properly. I'm sort of willing to chalk the Queen Brood fight up to bad luck, but that first truck knockdown was a "what the crap" moment.

As for the technical stuff, I didn't notice anything wrong.

Quote:
Well this run is much much better than the last two attempts. The runner pretty much fixed all of the problems I had with the last run. There were a couple of minor screwups here and there (End of Beast's stage, Brood Lair, running into the spark), but the quick boss battles more than made up for those errors.

Quote:
there, I was impressed with the run, your execution is great. I am assuming your planning lacks, and since I hear the run has been submitted several times already I'm more inclined to believe so, in any case I won't tackle the execution mistakes.

cyclops:
========
you walked instead of jumping with cyclops, imagine cyclops is a blue bunny that shoots lasers
screwed one pilot but battles went good

AGAIN you didn't jump constantly (I think he is talking about Wolverine here)

nice endings all over, but you waste time on wolverine because of that am i right?

gambit:
=======
when going on the elevator the first group is faster and still easy if you walk towards the barrel as much as possible then turn back and start hitting like crazy, when the trio comes out of the elevator land two hits and immediately throw a card so it comes out after your third hit, that will knock them down

on the second floor again walk towards the barrel, and start the fight by throwing a card towards the guy that shows up from the barrel side, gambit will extend his arm and the card wont hit the barrel, then you can immedaitely turn and attack the other guys. finish them with card if you can to end it faster, and then finish the first guy

on the third floor stand right at the second door of the elavtor, start by carding the brown guy and moving towards the first door, then hit thrice the other two which will be close together by then and finish them with a card, then finish the brown guy with a second card (or two hits if you must...)

the best way to destroy the barrel is to stand right as close as the second door as possible yet
still be able to hit the battle while crouching, then hit four times (unless you hit the barrel already of course), and time the fifth to hit just after the elevator hit the final floor and stopped moving, that way the explosion will hit before the green guy finishes coming out but the it will last enough to kill him too. you lose little time by not doing this though because theres a pause after
you kill them anyway. your loss must have been a second or so.

psylocke
========
the first two brown guards... you leave them alive for too long you should have killed them as soon as you got the "end" of the screen instead of waiting for the three to be together

vs the sentinel backflips sound faster but they drop your defense, but if you slide as the battle start and pull several psychic knives in succession you shouldnt get hit and if you do it wouldn't matter anyway because it would still be faster than your current battle -lol the tas does just that except they jump and kick instead of slide

brood queen
===========
i was having doubts of your psylocke, getting hit so much, being better than a better gambit, but you don't lose that much time in the end, i would just wonder if sliding would be better the psychic knife you used vs the first three eggs.

slide break a couple then psyknife to break the last plus the one on the slope so you dont have to backflip, i cant analyze your movie
frame by frame to be sure, virtualdub doesnt want to load this encode for whatever reason
-no wait the tas just plain slides, and it works except the backflip if the flying alien follows you, in that case you can knee or cut like i was saying, watch the tas again if you have already (i hope)

bouncing on top of the queen just makes her hide where you cant hit her so your strat seems good in that regard

AIM conversation:

Quote:
Verifier: Are you sure thats the same runner on Xmen?
me: yes
Me: I know it's way better
Verifier: Yeah...
Verifier: isn't he like a full minute faster to magneto ?
Me: yeah his magneto luck was really good
Verifier: he did the punch combo on apocalypse well;
Me: not sure about full minute
Verifier: He just.. wow
Verifier: He took what you said and fixed it
Verifier: Approved ++++
Me: yeah his apocalypse battle was a lot better, too bad he goofed on the final punch
Verifier: yeah;
Me: yeah I figured you wouldn't have any complaints
Verifier: Nah; if its better why would there be?
Verifier: He had that goof with Cyclops
Verifier: with missing the laser, but got it fixed with the nice double kicks to keep time in reason
Verifier: He took it home and I think finally opened up the game and gave it some rape-age
Me: ok can I post all of this in the verification board?
Verifier: : Go ahead

Decision: Accept

Reason: Even though two of the verifiers pointed out a bunch of errors, they're mostly minor errors and they were impressed with the run otherwise. They both acknowledge the runner destroyed the game and ran through most of the bosses like they were nothing. Furthermore, this run beats Spider-Waffle's goal of a high 19 minute time.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
One of my thoughts was that the jumping with Cyclops and Wolverine doesn't save time, at least not while I was clocking it.