<- 1  -   of 38 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Planning, I suck at it. :-(
I'll give this thread a shot.

15 or so years ago, I was watching a family friend play a game on what I can now guess was almost definitely a sega system of some sort. The console was black or a really dark grey and too big to be a turbo grafx but not box shaped like my NES, it was definitely NOT a jaguar.

The game seemed to be an rpg of some sort, top down view. Good guys were on the right side of the screen in formation and 2 bad guys were on the left and there was some sort of dialogue, all his guys died in the scene, I think there was some sort of special effect when his characters were killed but I could be wrong. He said that was supposed to happen and then turned the game off for whatever reason (frustration?). Everytime I play FF2 and get to the end scenes before the final bossfight I am reminded of this game I watched so long ago as the scenes are very similar but the layout and character sprites are all wrong. It is worth noting that the game sprites sort of remind me of the ones used in the Lunar games but it definitely was not Lunar.

Any ideas? This game has been eating at me for the longest freaking time, and I have no way of contacting this kid or I would have asked him what the game was a very long time ago. I would love to finally figure out which game this was so I can play it.
Edit history:
ZenicReverie: 2010-12-31 07:42:22 pm
ZenicReverie: 2010-12-31 07:36:29 pm
ZenicReverie: 2010-12-31 07:34:23 pm
Waiting hurts my soul...
If you had more of an idea on what system was, or a clearer view of the battles vs. the over-world, and town/dungeon views it would really be helpful. If you're sure it's an RPG, I should be able to help. If you have any idea how many characters you controlled (single, party, army) that would be helpful too. How many guys are allowed in a battle? What was the style of the battles? Was it slightly strategy based like Lunar or turn based like FF2? PAL or NTSC? Random things that might be helpful, if you can't remember the character names, maybe the colors they wore. Just basically any detail that might spark something could be anything small. Why is it definitely not Lunar?

Have you already searched through RPGs on Sega systems? Also, looking up pictures of different systems so you know what system it is would be helpful. There were different models for the Genesis and Sega CD systems, so take a look around.

So far, my best guess is Albert Odyssey
The system it was on was most definitely either a late 3rd or very early 4th generation Sega System, one of the 16-bit mega drive ones from looking at pictures on wikpedia, one with 2 or 3 buttons on the controller, not the newer 6 button ones. That would be my educated guess from memory.

It's worth noting that I've done a lot of bad things to my poor brain in the last 15 years, coupled with playing so many role playing games that I am suprised I can remember that much of a game I have only seen once. :/

The dungeon his characters were in was very similar in appearance to the Lunar Subterrain from Final Fantasy, but the character sprites were different. Beating my head repeatedly makes me think there were 6 or 7 characters on the PC side while there were definitely 2 on the other. It might have been Lunar, now that I really think of it, but I'm almost 100% positive that Sega CD/Saturn had not come out yet. Definitely not Albert Odyssey, the graphics are all wrong. The game would definitely have been NTSC format.

If I ever saw that scene again I would definitely know it, and while I haven't played the original Lunar, I have watched speedruns and the ending scenes of it on youtube and those didn't really jar my memory. But Lunar is definitely the closest. I've looked through a lot of Sega games but since I'm not 100% on the actual system (lots of sega systems out there) I could very well have been looking through the wrong game library.

I may very well be chasing some sort of twisted chemical flashback, but I know I saw him playing some sort of RPG on a sega system. Thanks for the help either way, this discussion has once again revived my quest of finding this game and playing it, lol.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Well, some dates to keep in mind. The Sega CD was released in 1992. Lunar: Silver Star Story was released in Dec, 1993 and Lunar: Eternal Blue came out in Dec, 1994. If you have an year when you remember seeing the game, that would help as well. The description of Lunar Sub from Final Fantasy sounds a lot like the first area in Lunar Silver. There are only 5 Sega console systems with RPGs, in order Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, Sega Saturn, and Dreamcast. Another question to ask is are you sure it was Sega? The 3DO had a 3 button controller. The Sega CD used the same 3 button controller as the Genesis for the first model I believe. Saturn was only 6 button.

The problem with Genesis RPGs is that most of them tended to be first person battles, but maybe the scene you remember wasn't a battle scene. Have you looked at Traysia or Sorcerer's Kingdom? Even if you can remember things it's not it'll narrow it down some. I'm sure you've checked the major franchises of Shining Force and Phantasy Star, but I thought I'd mention them.
I've checked out Shining Force and Phantasy Star. But I didn't know that SCD and Lunar were out at the time, for some reason I thought they were newer. I'm going to brush the dust off of my SCD and see if anyone I know has a copy of Lunar 2 I can use. I've checked out some youtubes and it looks like Lunar 2 is probably the game I've been looking for. I'll let you know. I've only ever played the Playstation versions, so it might be fun playing the original anyway.
I'm looking for an old PC-game from the 90s that my brothers and I played a long time ago.
It was a puzzle taxi game. At the beginning of every level, someone shouted "Taxi!", a nice little tune starts and the taxi sets off. What you have to do is to fix the road so that the taxi can finish to the exit.
While it's driving, you lose gas so you have to finish the level before it runs out. After every level you can buy more gas as well as upgrades for your car, such as better tires.

The first level looks something like this:

You have to move around the bricks so the taxi can reach the exit. In some levels, you put the road pieces on the squares yourself.

I believe it was a freeware/shareware game we got from "PC hemma" a Swedish computer magazine. The game itself wasn't Swedish though. The gas was measured in gallons for example and the text was in English. So it was most likely released somewhere else as well.

Help! Cheesy
Wiiaboo
Pipe Dream meets Crazy Taxi? Haha
Heavy Metal Powered
Quote from Warepire:
Quote from ZenicReverie:
Quote from Warepire:
Got a new problem for you guys, this has been bugging me for a few days now:

This is a game I used to play at a friends place a bit, I cannot remember a lot about it, pretty old, probably pre-2000.
It is either a PC or a PSX game because there where the only systems he had at the time... I am leaning more towards a PC game though.
The game had a top-down view like GTA and GTA2. The characters movement where pretty similar to the movement of the main character of GTA2.

I'm not sure if I played the game from the beginning but in some part of the game you where inside a building, you where in a room and you had to get out, but there where guards, so you had to sneak, and I remember the sneaking animation was pretty funny. If you got caught you where executed on sight. Myself I never managed to sneak out of this building. But my friend had a save of which he had gotten out and I want to recall him being outside the building in a big garden full of trees, grass and isles.

I know this information probably fits on a hundred games but it is all I can remember... Thanks for all the help !

Action Man?
Maybe if you can provide any other details, such as the setting, the colors of the environment, how you moved your guy (control directly or by clicking with the mouse), etc.

The game was definitely direct input controlled, and the sneaking animation was really special, the character took almost unnaturally long steps and leaned back and forth.

The building you had to escape from may have been a type of prison but I have no idea... It does not seem to be Action Man, none of the pics at the site or the videos at youtube trigger any memories. I need to track down the game and properly test later because the videos only show the first mission... I believe however the game I am looking for is older.

Sadly I cannot provide any more information at all Sad

Solved, it's Little Big Adventure!
No longer a threat to society
There was a Game I used to play on PS1. First tried it on a demo disk from playstation magazine. Was a third person, god view, shooter. You were a cop in a machine that could transform between a fast car or a bi-pedal mech-like shooting robot. Kinda like a cross between twisted metal and mech warrior. The levels were usually small and always square, like city grids. All I remember from the gameplay was just destroying a small group of enemies, then having to change into the car and boost at the top of a ramp through a pane of glass to get to the other half of the level.
I didn't want to go through the trouble of looking through all of these games especially with my crappy internet, but the game you're looking for may be in here: http://www.vidgames.com/ps/software/demodisks.html
There was this platformer from the PS1 I played when I was younger... it was almost like Crash Bandicoot (i know it wasnt). I remember at the end the final boss had something to do with wishing...

It was a long time ago... sorry I can't provide any more info :/
Edit history:
thundrio: 2011-02-25 08:52:15 am
#speedrunslive to race games!!!
croc: legend of the gobbos? i dont know much about it but it kinda sounds right.
Edit history:
WorXx: 2011-02-26 08:57:58 am
omg croc....haha, game was awesome. but i dont remember wishes in the game...magic was used to create the enemies, but the final boss, big green frog like thing lol, wasnt much on wishing, gongs were used though. i agree croc was similar to crash, wish we had more description on the game. maybe a spyro game?
Obscure games ftw
If it had to do wish wishes than it can't be Spyro, maybe 40 Winks?  I don't know, I got bored with that game.  If you can remember anything about the character it would help.
i saw 40 winks, dreams i didnt think would be with wishes, i had sly cooper in mind, but...eh, or medieval. none i remember well, i know sly is a racoon cop guy, medieval skeleton warrior lol. rayman 2....never played it but another platformer that came to mind. other than those, i dont really remember any others that came out on playstation.
Quote from knumpify:
There was a Game I used to play on PS1. First tried it on a demo disk from playstation magazine. Was a third person, god view, shooter. You were a cop in a machine that could transform between a fast car or a bi-pedal mech-like shooting robot. Kinda like a cross between twisted metal and mech warrior. The levels were usually small and always square, like city grids. All I remember from the gameplay was just destroying a small group of enemies, then having to change into the car and boost at the top of a ramp through a pane of glass to get to the other half of the level.

Every time I read this it makes me think of Future Cop LAPD.
It's a BIG HEAD!
I can confirm now that the game I asked for was Medal of Honor Frontline.

I was sure it would've been on PS1 though. Guess not. Now that I think of it, it might have been late 2002 or early 2003 when I saw it. Tongue

As for when it comes to someone asking about Croc, show them my avatar lol.
Edit history:
Not0r1ou5: 2011-02-27 02:22:47 pm
I found it! It was Pandemonium Cheesy

The thing I was remembering was the last boss, "The Wishing Engine"

Sorry for the crappy description... It's really all I could remember ~.~"
Edit history:
WorXx: 2011-02-27 03:08:25 pm
WorXx: 2011-02-27 03:06:59 pm
lolol i never heard or seen that game ever...wtf? i looked up the lets play on it, creepy creepy voiced kid playing it haha

(EDIT) Nice, youtube embeds on this forum. liking this place more and more. and ill forgive you on the description, cause ssj2 gohan was the best!!
For the record, I found Pandemonium to be a pretty awesome game. Maybe I'll try to get a copy and run that.
A 90s sci fi multi-disc game which had rail-shooter first person parts, and piloting vehicles third person underwater/flying.  The cover art featured the alien ship that is piloted, and was dark green.  I think it is 4 letters long, or two words of four letters, but I could be wrong about that.
haha! pandemonium. one of the first playstation games I ever played. I loved it so much. its worth a play if you haven't ever played it
Edit history:
GearStrike: 2011-04-03 02:26:30 pm
Fish. Blub blub.
I do remember there is a game I cannot for the life of me remember the title no matter how much I freaking try, but I know quite a bit about the game itself.

I remember it came out on the PC during the Windows 95/98 and it was around 1997-1999 when I played it.

Th game itself was an action/puzzle/platformer where you play as either a human or minotaur in a series of labyrinths that ranged from sewers to like a roman palace and the goal was to outsmart your opponent and reach the exit using paths and whatever was necessary to finish the level.

The game was pre-rendered 3D on a 2D place (Donkey Kong Country if you will) but was kind of 'cyberpunk' looking in a sense and was layed out like a classic Prince of Persia game.

I hope this helps...
Back in like 2003 I remember playing this freeware point-and-click adventure game that begun with a debriefing in an office and started with you searching around a military base. I don't think I ever got further than that. The graffix were similar to SCUMM games (scaled sprites, low level of detail).

I hadn't thought about this game in seven or eight years until last week.
Quote from Enterim:
Back in like 2003 I remember playing this freeware point-and-click adventure game that begun with a debriefing in an office and started with you searching around a military base. I don't think I ever got further than that. The graffix were similar to SCUMM games (scaled sprites, low level of detail).

I hadn't thought about this game in seven or eight years until last week.

Teen Agent?