<- 1  -   of 53 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Well done, Blubber!
(that's what you get if andrew steps down x3)
Edit history:
Magnum66: 2014-06-25 06:56:30 pm
Magnum66: 2014-06-25 05:06:13 pm
http://twitch.tv/Exisidis2
Congrats Blubbler! That's awesome, I knew you could do it. Smiley

Best Super Mario Bros. player on the planet, you earned it! You will go down in the history books.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Wow!  Awesome Blubber!  Reaching for the impossible...
Very nice blubber!
Congratulations! Smiley
Yeah grats Blubber, amazing run!

and all the best Andrew btw, hope things go well for you.
CONGRATULATIONS!

I knew that you would get it eventually, but I didn't think it would come so fast (literally)! This is such a huge accomplishment and I'm really happy someone reached the 4:57.

I sort of lost motivation for this 2 months or so back. I wasn't going to force myself to keep trying for a 4:57. This gives me more motivation to go back to this eventually (At least, I hope to go back to it sometime). It is a bit aggravating that I cannot work on this now, but I think I need a break from speedrunning anyhow.

I'm sad I still cannot reach it, but as I've said before, I'm really not in a huge rush to get it. I've held the Super Mario Bros record for the past 7-8 years, I didn't expect to hold it forever. What I mean is, I'm not really that disappointed. Records get beaten, even really good ones.

My attitude about gaming and WRs has changed quite a bit over the past few years. For me, it's now been a competition against myself. If I can better my time, I'll attempt to do it. WRs are good comparisons for bettering your own times. If you cannot beat the WR, it's not a big deal. More or less, WRs provide you with a goal, a challenge, the main reason I play video games. I will continue to try for 4:57s in the future Smiley

PS: Blubbler is my hero
4 5 7
F*ckin' sanity effects...
Huge congrats on a major speedrun milestone!
If you're serious enough about speedrunning to get the SMB record, you should be playing on console IMO.
Quote from scaryice:
If you're serious enough about speedrunning to get the SMB record, you should be playing on console IMO.

get outta here
SNES rules!
Somebody finally achieved 4:57. This is huge. Congrats, Blubbler!

So, did you manipulate that Bullet Bill spawn to get the flagpole glitch in 8-2? Or was it just out of luck and you took advantage of it?
Congrats again!
The artist formerly known as Qxy
Oh my god, it's like a dream. I never thought I'd see it. The standards set forth in the runs of this game over the last 7 years and the fact that time and time again, runners prove that they can rise to the challenge is truly inspiring to me. Congratulations!
A thought crossed my mind as I thought more about the whole emulator vs console thing.

The difference between emulated and console runs is negligible, they play close enough that it's practically the same and hard it's hard to argue against that. They are directly comparable, but should probably be noted as console or emulator. The real reason for this (to me) comes with the control set differences primarily. Emulators allow for more control set options/customizations, but technically speaking you could do the same with a controller (The problem though is that only 3rd party controllers are allowed).

Not that it is a huge difference in this case. Different control schemes with a game as simple as Super Mario Bros doesn't really give an advantage, but you could say there's the possibility of one.

Now, this got me thinking about a possible problem for emulated speedruns in the future. Since the rationale for not allowing Left+Right or Up+Down is based on the fact that you cannot perform these with a third party controller, I see an issue when it relates to emulated runs. I mean, you can perform these inputs on a keyboard no problem, you aren't restricted to using third party controllers, unless I'm wrong here?

I feel that eventually there will come a time when people will say "well why can't I do those inputs if the game allows for it, and I'm not modifying equipment?" I especially think this where TASes perform this routinely. I bet anything there will be people who utilize this in the future as technically speaking, if the game is being played on an emulator, there are control sets to allow for this without modification. Just a thought on where I think things are headed. I mean, no one has a problem with a TAS doing those inputs either. That, and some runs would be "more entertaining" and faster (and we're about speed, right?)
Thanks everyone!
Man, I didn't expect the video to get popular like this. I expected a couple tens of thousands of views, not hundreds of thousands, but that's the power of Kotaku I guess.

@andrewg: The reason TASers allow l+r and most RTA runners don't is really due to tradition. At TASvideos nobody raised his voice against it, when runs started using it and it would be weird to change now since it would invalidate hundreds of runs. While SDA said people should not have to damage their controller or buy alternate controllers that would allow them to compete.
I'm for keeping l+r banned, because it ventures into the realm of hardware exploit (instead of software exploit). Things like zipping across the screen in Zelda 2 show the developers did not consider l+r at all and things like the level warp in Yoshi's Island may even be a debug tool considered inaccesible to players. It's not as extreme as cartridge tilting, but I think it's going in that direction.
In any case, there would just be usage of it vs not I guess. no big deal there.

Im curious as to your next project, or what you are thinking on? Improving the run seems possible, but obviously extremely difficult.
I want to do Lost Levels any% (FDS, Mario).
I also thought about maybe doing All Night Nippon SMB before as it's kind of a mix between SMB1 and SMB2?
And I thought about improving the Minus World run. If I use big Mario I can save ~0.3s in -3, if I use another wallclip instead of breaking the ceiling, and a framerule in 1-2 through cleaner movement, but it may be too hard to get it. If I use small Mario I can save ~0.6s even without the flagpole glitch, but it's so hard to do the wallclip small... (though if I do get it, the rest is smooth sailing)
#Casual
Ah yes.  Congrats, Blubbler!  Also good to see Lost Levels targetted even more Smiley
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Amazing job Blubber!
Blubbler, I want to know your thoughts. Do you think we could save any additional frame rules anywhere? I mean, doing the flagpole glitch directly in 1-1 seems to be maybe the only potential one (has anyone even managed this in real time?).

In my opinion, I dont think any additional framerules will be possible beside that one possibility. All others require left+right...i think.  Well, beside doing the same in 4-1, 8-1, or 8-3.

The only other improvements possible are backward jumps in 8-4. My only other thought is a room 3 improvement...doubtful, but seems like maybe something clever could be found here.

What was the console limit TAS without left+right? or has anyone produced an actual video for that?

I still think the realistic limit here is 4:57.0x unless a direct realtime flagpole glitch is done in 1-1 and saves 2 frame rules.
Ok, fpund most answers on kb, whoops! So, i dont see an extra framerule happening in a run, but the real question is whether we can save any new framerules anywhere or any additional frames in 8-4
Edit history:
Blubbler: 2014-06-29 04:14:40 pm
Blubbler: 2014-06-29 02:47:12 pm
Blubbler: 2014-06-29 02:42:53 pm
Flagpole glitches:
Maybe someone will do it in a single level, but never will anyone get it and then proceed to do the rest of the run flawlessly.
The easiest method (I know) is falling on the block at the right height, start holding left on the right frame, jumping on the frame you touch the ground and letting go of left the frame after and this doesn't work with all subpixel values, I think you actually have to press left to adjust the subpixel and be able to do it.

1-2 wallclip:
I'm starting to think it's possible to save a framerule in a TAS without l+r. You can make the turnaround fast enough to get inside the pipe just fast enough to save the framerule. The clip itself does not require left+right, but all the TASes I looked at did some l+r subpixel adjustment that I haven't found a non-l+r alternative for, but it's probably possible. Pretty sure a human will never save that framerule though.

4-2 wallclip:
So doing a wallclip is actually faster than the 2-jump-method, but I still couldn't save the framerule due to the pipe entrance and the sky stage being slower without l+r. But it might be possible, I didn't try that hard yet. Again human-wise this is a no.

8-2:
the last framerule needs every single frame with l+r, definitely impossible without l+r

8-4 room 1:
You can save up to 4 frames with a backwards jump, but I invite you to try it. I gave up after a hundred attempts at doing it real-time. You have neither a visual nor an audio clue when to press jump and switch from left to right. I suppose you could react to the "WORLD 8-4" text disappearing and use your internal clock to do that exactly 0.3s later. Anyway that Kosmic did this in an IL is impressive and it won't happen in a full run I think.

8-4 room 2:
Maybe 1 frame can be saved with a backwards jump, I didn't test it that much. This one would be more feasible since you have the visual clue of Mario exiting the pipe, but it's also almost nothing.

8-4 room 3:
It seems to me that backwards jumps here would be useless, because you do not get that much speed on the first jump and then you need to make a second jump to get off the pipe and that means you can't land on the ground as quickly.

8-4 room 4/5:
neither benefit from backwards jumps

Overall I'd rank possible improvement like this in order of feasibility:
generally cleaner 8-4 (up to 16, 12 feasibly), especially room 3 (up to 6), 5 (1) and 2 (up to 5, 3 feasibly)
4-2 2-jump-method (21)
8-4 room 2 backwards jump (1) *
8-4 room 1 backwards jump (up to 4)
1-1/4-1/8-1/8-3 flagpole glitch (21 each)
4-2 wallclip (21) *
1-2 wallclip (21) *
* if it's possible

I'll look into the no l+r TAS again the next days to try to clear up some of these questions and maybe do an encode

btw:
berserker status
Very nice!  Congrats Blubbler on the incredible achievement!!
haha...with all feasible frame rules and a flawless 8-4, the time is 4:56.99, right?
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Quote from andrewg:
haha...with all feasible frame rules and a flawless 8-4, the time is 4:56.99, right?

If that's the case, I hope someone gets it just for the lulz =D
Quote from Blubbler:
I want to do Lost Levels any% (FDS, Mario).
I also thought about maybe doing All Night Nippon SMB before as it's kind of a mix between SMB1 and SMB2?
And I thought about improving the Minus World run. If I use big Mario I can save ~0.3s in -3, if I use another wallclip instead of breaking the ceiling, and a framerule in 1-2 through cleaner movement, but it may be too hard to get it. If I use small Mario I can save ~0.6s even without the flagpole glitch, but it's so hard to do the wallclip small... (though if I do get it, the rest is smooth sailing)

I would like to see All Night Nippon SMB run. I have an actual FDS disk image of it and would run itvmyself if I had an AV Famicom.

I've also tried to practive VS. Super Mario Bros., although that one is pretty brutal in difficulty even compared to Lost Levels.