--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
the_roth: 2015-05-29 08:33:59 pm
the_roth: 2015-05-28 09:41:38 pm
DO THE MEATEO
Only a couple of things. Most has been said so I'll keep this short!

Venue:
Loved it totally. Denton and Essentia were great hosts and treated me to many an American meal (that was awesome being from Australia). Where possible I tried to be in the streaming room to boost the # of people on camera as there were few of us around at times. The streaming room had little airflow and I found myself often becoming really tired, and had to continually head elsewhere to get air. Probably couldn't avoid this though but having people constantly yawn on stream would be evident.

Donations:
It was great to be part of raising so much for charity. To help drive donations you could possibly add options for all bid wars including naming characters - people may be turned off donating if they need to add their own suggestion first. For example with Chrono Trigger Puwexil and Essentia + commentators could suggest 2-3 possible names for each character based on who helps out in that community (although people can still add their preferences later). This makes it easier for people to start donating for these games a lot earlier in the marathon and hype bidding wars.
Something I was upset with was that we donated to name Kain in FFIV after one of our regulars who almost always donates towards our streams. He got named originally but after the onsite snipe his name got completely removed from the 4 that were chosen even though his name was second in the donation list (the onsite snipe even didn't top this name in the list). This was apparently pointed out by viewers but not picked up by the moderators until after the race was over.

Runs:
It was awesome seeing these games live! A suggestion could be to set up the bot in chat to alternate between hyping both the charity and also the runners/commentators during the run. This builds the RPG community and helps promote our future events.

I'd love to attend another one of these, it was well worth it!
Stay chill, be cool.
I really loved the marathon and like I keep on saying, this was the marathon that the RPG speedrunning community deserved.  That being said I want to get my feedback and criticism out of the way before going onto more positive things.

I think one place that RPG Limit Break could have improved was with promotion and spreading the word.  I don't think there was enough that was said about the marathon on social media and other places as much as there could have been, but that is something that could be improved from here on.  Stuff like reaching out to various gaming sites, especially those that focus on RPGs, or places that focus on specific series to promote certain games being run.

Having a trailer would have really helped.  Get some cool music to go along with the trailer and that would have gone a long way.  If the GDQs can have a trailer, then why not this one.

Also extending RPG Limit Break by a day or two would really help.  It would have helped with some more games making it in there, especially of the longer variety.

That being said, I thought RPG Limit Break was a huge improvement over Crystals For Life.  Just about every single problem I had with C4L was addressed here.  I was sad I couldn't make it there in person, but watching it was a blast.  I hope I can make it to RPGLB next year!

Thank you to everyone for making this marathon happen!
Insanity Prelude
I volunteered to making a trailer vid by got no response for it. The one thing I will point out is that to make trailer it often takes quite a bit of time. Getting the clips, then hard syncing them takes a very long time.
Stay chill, be cool.
Hopefully things will be different for next time?  It isn't the type of thing that you can't really rush and put out like several days before the marathon.  At least now that we have a finished marathon, there could be a way to work in some highlights from this past May into a possible trailer.
Insanity Prelude
The most time consuming parts about making a promo vid/AMV is usually finding all the clips you want to use. I'll also have to consider if I want to include footage that isn't part of the run, but still part of the game (mainly for synchronization purposes). The actual video making probably takes about 24-48 hours and people will need to decide on suitable music/tracks.

Just for reference, this is some old stuff that I made:
- WA4 Boss Rush/Speedrun clips. This took about 24 hours in total. Mainly for synchro since I had all the clips ready.
- AMV; this took almost 4 days. Most of the time was spent searching for clips.