page  <- 12345678910 -> <- 1 ... 9, 10 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
pretty good though!

this run will be already hard to beat Smiley

my question is : how do we count time finally? because there is a big difference between video's time and in-game time... Maybe in menus, it does not count itself? because first of all, it seems really possible to gain time at rocket bullet crafting and turrets...

my second question is that : normally, with quake3 bunnyhop (i would have to work those), you can reach infinite speed, so why not go by step instead of car right here (damge reason?)? (maybe my question is a bit hilarious sincei haven't played the game yet)

it seems we can gain time on item pickup too, do you think all you get are necessary?

i think i will try to work on boosting, to see if there is an optimal way to do it.

could we go further to avoid some conversations? like some of the captain, when you go in stairs, the last one is not avoided, could we go outside and avoid it? A big thing would be to find a way to escape from doctor conversations though...

finally, has someone searched about death abuse?
Edit history:
Kitin: 2013-10-09 08:24:43 am
Kitin: 2013-10-09 08:23:03 am
Quote from evomagic:
pretty good though!

this run will be already hard to beat Smiley

my question is : how do we count time finally? because there is a big difference between video's time and in-game time... Maybe in menus, it does not count itself? because first of all, it seems really possible to gain time at rocket bullet crafting and turrets...

As seen in this thread i created a while ago:
https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/segmented_timing_rage.html

the in game timer will be used even though it isn't accurate to real-time. Menu time and all other times when the game is freezed doesen't count on the timer and it's overall about *0.96 slower than real-time for some weird reason.
Quote from evomagic:
my second question is that : normally, with quake3 bunnyhop (i would have to work those), you can reach infinite speed, so why not go by step instead of car right here (damge reason?)? (maybe my question is a bit hilarious sincei haven't played the game yet)

Rage is very different to Q3, you have better acceleration in rage of what i can tell but you can't reach the same speeds as in Q3. The jumping mechanic is really clunky as well so it's hard to even maintain consistent jumping. Strafejumping is however faster than car on some routes (downhill) and it's allways faster than the ATV so I'll strafejump more in a segmented run.

Hint: Strafejumping speed might be infinite in q3 in theory, but the faster you go the harder it is to accelerate. Around 5000 ups the acceleration is really slow and you need to strafe in HUGE turns in order to accelerate.
Quote from evomagic:
it seems we can gain time on item pickup too

Yes definitely, some of the item pickups I made was completely useless. Most of them had some thought behind them though (the item pickup was en route or I had to wait for some timed event anyway). Picking up items (= sell for cash) will be more important now that we know of the rc-bomb car boost though.
Quote from evomagic:
i think i will try to work on boosting, to see if there is an optimal way to do it.

could we go further to avoid some conversations? like some of the captain, when you go in stairs, the last one is not avoided, could we go outside and avoid it? A big thing would be to find a way to escape from doctor conversations though...

The conversation skips can be optimized but some of the conversations can't be skipped no matter how far away you go. I haven't experimented with this all that much though so I might be wrong.
Quote from evomagic:
finally, has someone searched about death abuse?

Not sure what you mean really, but the "death-system" can't be abused to more than zeroing the velocity midair to survive long falls. If you completely die you have to load an autosave made earlier and redo everything. (Not like bioshock for instance) The only thing you can use in a speedrun is the revive-system and that might be usefull to more than just zeroing velocity, go experiment! Smiley
eheh, first problem here as you can see (sorry for bad quality vid and and my play though i had only 14fps with fraps...) :

well, i need to work my strafe jump though... seems error time on landing is more little than in quake though...

however, i think that first route should be done by strafing instead of getting the quad.
Edit history:
Kitin: 2013-10-09 05:46:07 pm
Quote from evomagic:
eheh, first problem here as you can see (sorry for bad quality vid and and my play though i had only 14fps with fraps...) :

well, i need to work my strafe jump though... seems error time on landing is more little than in quake though...

however, i think that first route should be done by strafing instead of getting the quad.

Haha wow, the game engine is based on fps so everything becomes slower with low fps, constant 60 is a must. That load skip is pretty weird, it did the same thing for me at first but not anymore and i have no idea why. Might be version based or something.

Yep, and it's not only the landing threshold that makes it difficult. Some surfaces is "double layered" or something which makes it impossible to jump consistently.

Yeah, as I said previously, strafejumping is faster than ATV in a segmented run. Not viable in single-segment.

Here's an early segment from the run I scrapped:

You can't go much faster than that on relatively flat surfaces in Rage.

---

Here's something weird I just found in the refinery:

It appears that there's some kind of trigger that makes it so that you can't take fall damage. Further down there is a ledge that you are supposed to jump down from if you follow the intended route and it's high enough that it might cause some fall damage. I've noticed this in other places as well, whenever there is a high drop you must fall down in order to progress the intended route you never take any fall damage even though you expect to.
well, i made several test with the atv, hoping this works for all vehicles...

i made some runs with different ways to use boosting, and i have to conclude it seems there is no optimal way to use it... you can see it in this vid : using boosting in different ways makes a final diffenrence of 0,1sec, considering i can't do exactly the same route on each... Nevertheless, the boost glitch is not relevant with the ATV coz you can quit the vehicle both sides, and it's not consistent to make a good use of it.

effectively, bunnyhop is way faster than atv (with the poor (really one) bunnyhop in the end of the vid, it just takes 7 seconds more...)

I've just reached wellspring tunnels in my speedrun and this would be the ultimate way to go OOB:

It's exactly where you spawn when you load the level so it couldn't be any faster. Unfortunately I need a tiny bit more height, another RC-bomb would probably do it. Does the 5 RC-bomb limit apply to everyone else or is there something that determines how many you can put out?
Sorry for double post, just wanted to share this. Cheesy

Yeah, 5 is the hard limit on RC cars. Very unfortunate if that doesn't work... Hmm.
Edit history:
Kitin: 2013-11-14 11:45:33 am
Kitin: 2013-11-14 11:37:52 am
Kitin: 2013-11-14 11:37:25 am
Thanks for confirmation Endless.

---

Here's the finished Scorchers speedrun:

Edit: I added skip annotations in the top left corner before every pointless scripted scene, watch on youtube and use those to avoid boredom

I did it in a couple of days a month ago but I lost interest when I got to the last segments. I started again yesterday and finished them up.

The bash tv segment was harder than expected since it all must be in one segment. Had to settle with the easy suicide way of doing it, which also was hard as hell. There's probably 20-30 sec to save there with 1-2 segmentations or with ALOT of patience in one segment.

Some segments were completely unnecessary, I just made them since the game made the autosaves anyways. I made an unnecessary amount of segments towards the end as well since my game randomly started to drop in framerate after loading the majority of the times, which made like 2/3 of the attempts useless and therefore making the segments harder to get, which more segments solve.

Let me know if anyone wants a different version of the speedrun, without motion blur, without music, without color correction etc. etc.
hey guys, looking for a new game to run and thought about RAGE as a possibility since it's gathering dust on my shelf.  the 1:35 run looks good and I'll try to copy that route.  Having only skimmed the thread, are there PC vs. console differences?  I'm looking at running it on console.
One hand is enough.
A lot of things are generally harder to do on console, like consistent and effective strafejumping. Also, the fact that you practically have to stop moving entirely to switch weapons doesn't help either. I'm not sure of much else other than the awful load times. (If anyone else has input on this please share!)

That said Brass, I've been wanting to get back to this game; partially because it was my first speedgame and partially because the skips and strats that Kitin have found are freaking amazing. If you're going to pick this run up on console I'd gladly come back to it.
OOB in dead city:

Could potentially be used to skip the boss fight. The problem is getting back in bounds again, and even if possible the normal route will probably be about as fast. 
New way of doing the prison end skip:

Only requires 2 rc-cars instead of 6 which is huge. I've done some route testing for segmented as well and and i'm pretty sure that I can get enough rc-cars to perform every skip in the run.
awesome find
Edit history:
Kitin: 2014-01-10 02:10:26 pm
Kitin: 2014-01-10 02:06:51 pm
Kitin: 2014-01-10 01:53:40 am
I found this page:
http://renderingpipeline.com/2012/03/megatextures-in-rage/

Which show some virtualtexture commands that you can acces in the game, this is what you can do:

Unfortunately you can't use it to see invisible walls, but the blogger wrote this as well:
http://renderingpipeline.com/2012/03/inspecting-the-shaders-of-rage/

He uses an OpenGL debugger to edit the shaders in the game to visualize things. It's possible to use a debugger to render wireframe but it gets really weird when you try to do that in rage. It might be possible to edit the shaders in such a way that you can display the collider mesh but i have zero knowledge in OpenGL programming so I would need help with that.

Other than this the game has cvars such as:

g_showCollisionDistance
g_showCollisionModels
g_showCollisionQueries
g_showCollisionSubModels
g_showCollisionSurfaces
g_showCollisionTraces
g_showCollisionWorld

g_showTriggers

r_showPrimitives
r_showTris

And the commands:
listCollisionModels - lists collision models
exportCollisionModel - writes an obj model visualizing the given collision model

So if there's some way of accesing these we would probably be able to see the collision mesh and the triggers. Haven't been able to do it yet but it might be possible if you load a a map in dev mode with the first version or something, would be really nice to get this to work.

Edit: The console variables and commands might work with the 64-bit version, would be awesome if someone could try.

Edit2: EVERYTHING works in the 64-bit version. I can see triggers, different types of collision surfaces, polygons etc. etc. It's insane.
Edit history:
Kitin: 2014-01-11 04:45:45 am
Kitin: 2014-01-11 04:42:51 am
Kitin: 2014-01-11 03:58:15 am
Sorry for massive imagespam, but this is amazing.

g_showcollisionsurfaces 1 - Shows the surface you're aiming at and gives info about it. "Playerclip, monsterclip, vehicleclip" means that player, enemys and vehicles can't go through that wall.

g_showcollisionworld 1 - Draws the collision mesh as wireframe in a certain radius from the player which is set by g_showcollisiondistance

Same here. I probably prefer g_showcollisionsurfaces to this since you can see which type of entity can pass the wall and the viewport doesen't get as messy.

g_showtriggers 1 - Shows the triggers in game. The orange box is the trigger and the green boxes is sort of like nodes to the particular trigger. You can interactively read info about the trigger if you go closer to it. This trigger in particular is the trigger that activates the "bandit ambush" in the beggining of the game.

Same here. The game is absolutely filled with these and you constantly have two trigger boxes around you. My guess is that these boxes is used for interactions with character in the game. Usefull to see excactly how far away you have to go from a character to skip the conversation.

r_showtris 1 - shows the polygons in wireframe of the visible world. r_showtris 2 and 3 can be used to see hidden polygons.

r_showskel 1 - shows the rigged skeleton of all the animated things.

r_showskel 2 - shows the skeleton without the models. g_showcollisionmodels 1 - show the collision mesh for the models, the red box is what cars "physically" look like in game.

g_showcollisionmodels 1 - Other than showing the collision mesh (read box) is the hitboxes i believe.

r_showworldareas 2 - Not really sure, but it looks cool. r_showworldareas 1 is used to render the whole environment like this.

And I have only scratched the surface at this point, every single command and cvar is accesable. There are many interesting commands that instantly crashes the game though (probably requires a really powerfull computer). There are also commands that applies textures on the collision world (invisible walls) to make them easier to see but I haven't got this to work yet, i get some kind of missing file error. Probably need to have the toolkit installed.
Great! Gonna help to skip triggers
Edit history:
Kitin: 2014-01-12 05:08:11 am
Kitin: 2014-01-12 05:05:07 am
A skip in Capital Prime:

It can be done faster and you probably won't need to use the bfg the second time with a small ramp jump. It skips the sequence where you have to kill the mutants. You can skip the lift trigger entirely but you have to trigger it in order for the lift to go all the way up.

The most interesting part about this is that i clipped through the invisible wall. This probably works in other places as well, if so the speedrun could change completely.

Skips in the gearhed vault:

The first skip isn't necessary for the second to work, you can still do the normal "jump on the elevator"-skip which takes a bit longer but it saves using two car bombs (might work with one though). The seconds one however skips all of the fights and all of the fire walls in that area which probably saves a descent amount of time.

I used killai but that doesen't really matter, most of the ai won't spawn since i skipped the triggers.
Edit history:
Kitin: 2014-01-14 03:36:49 am
Kitin: 2014-01-14 03:29:31 am
Found a way to completely skip Rikter:

Unfortunately it skips getting the most reliable weapon in the game (shotgun). You can still get the shotgun and save time by doing the trigger skips but still talk to rikter however. Getting the job from him causes him to block the path on your way back though and there's no way to skip those triggers. It happens sometimes that his character gets stuck (not really sure what causes it), and if he got stuck on the way back it could still skip some more time.

I'm pondering to skip the shotgun and get fat mammas instead though and later get the authority machine gun during the Shrouded Bunker quest while you wait for the door to open. Fat mammas is almost better than pop rockets in a segmented run early game. The Authority Enforcers will be the most annoying but they can be killed with one headshot.

Edit: Grenades can probably be very valuable in a segmented run as well.

Late game shouldn't be a problem since I just can get authority augmenters and deal lots of damage with everything.

Edit2: I've also confirmed something that i've suspected for a long time, Rage has overbounces.
I just picked this game back up and will be grinding out some practice.

About overboynces, I thought the game had them for a while but had no means to prove it. I have gotten them though. If there were a way to gain dtuckyboynces then some stuff could be golden.
Stickybounces is what I meant to type.
Pick up the 64-bit version and start looking for more skips instead. Cheesy There has to be more.

The default jump height is OB height so a way to do stickyjumps isn't really necessary.
I've tried using the 64bit version. The only downside for me is that its super slow loading time. For some reason my PC doesn't like it, otherwise it plays like a dream. I did find that you can skip the first text box after the forced revive in the ghost hideout. I'll upload an explanation later when I'm not at work
BWoods: add +logfile 0 to your Rage lunch options (properities -> set lunch options...) it will reduce the loading time by a lot (for me there is no difference between loading in 64 and 32 bit version of the game)
Edit history:
BWoods: 2014-01-19 07:28:42 pm
BWoods: 2014-01-19 07:28:29 pm
BWoods: 2014-01-19 07:27:22 pm
BWoods: 2014-01-19 07:26:08 pm
BWoods: 2014-01-19 07:23:52 pm
BWoods: 2014-01-19 07:23:16 pm
BWoods: 2014-01-19 06:52:29 pm
Quote from eNjoY:
BWoods: add +logfile 0 to your Rage lunch options (properities -> set lunch options...) it will reduce the loading time by a lot (for me there is no difference between loading in 64 and 32 bit version of the game)

Righteous! I'll try it out when I get home. Thanks

Edit: Wow thanks a ton, this works perfectly. Guess I'll be doing my work on the 64bit version unless it really screws with my streaming ability.

Also this is the trigger skip I was speaking about.