Smiley
Sad
page  <- 12345678910 -> <- 1 .. 5 .. 10 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
That's fantastic, although the audio is crazy quiet.
Quote from Endless:
That's fantastic, although the audio is crazy quiet.

That's weird, is it just this one or all of my clips? For me it sounds normal.
Edit history:
Kitin: 2013-04-13 11:59:44 am
My future self will hate me for finding this, something as easy as driving the car now got alot harder:

Extremely annoying to do consistently but i think that it will work once I learn how to time it well.

Edit: Just realized that this is pretty easy now, the "exit car button" is different from the use button (the button you enter the car with). Much easier to press the exit car button and then spam the use key (bound to the mouse wheel) to enter the car again.
Nice find !
You're right, the audio is fine; I'm pretty sure I was having troubles on my end.
Edit history:
Kitin: 2013-04-20 07:10:55 pm
Kitin: 2013-04-20 07:04:38 pm
A little update on my segmented run, I just reached wellspring and the in-game time is 15:25.
I've set up a file in vegas that matches BWoods WR SS-run on youtube to roughly see how much time i save:

Segment: SS WR time - my time = total saved time
1: -
2: 5:52 – 5:47 = 0:05
3: 7:38 -  7:15 = 0:23
4: 9:01 – 8:28 = 0:33
5: 9:32 – 8:46 = 0:46
6: 10:21 – 9:16 = 1:05
7: -
8: 12:55 – 11:25 = 1:30
9: 13:47 – 12:02 = 1:45
10: 14:13 – 12:16 = 1:57
11: 14:50 – 12:51 = 1:59
12: 15:24 – 13:20 = 2:04
13: 16:17 – 13:54 = 2:21
14: 17:12 – 14:35 = 2:37
15: 18:54 – 15:57 = 2:57
16: 19:39 – 16:31 = 3:08
17: 22:05 – 18:40  = 3:25

This isn't that accurate since we spend different amount of time in loading screens, menus and such that doesen't count towards in-game time, but it's a decent estimate.
It's looking pretty good imo since much of the first part of the game is cutscenes/scripted scenes and all of the saved time is only due to better movement.
Id gave the wellspring guard a sentry turret for some reason. Cheesy It's actually usefull to take it in a speedrun as well.
Edit history:
Kitin: 2013-04-28 10:17:23 am
Triple post Cheesy Just wanted to show two small skips that I found:

Both is pretty simple to do.

Edit: Just thought of something. Since there is mod tools released for this game, is it possible to load game levels and show invisible walls and stuff? Might be better to ask at the rage forums.
Quote from Kitin:
Triple post Cheesy Just wanted to show two small skips that I found:

Both is pretty simple to do.

Edit: Just thought of something. Since there is mod tools released for this game, is it possible to load game levels and show invisible walls and stuff? Might be better to ask at the rage forums.

IIRC, they only included Wellspring and no other maps

Checking for invisible walls might be possible with the unpatched .exe
Edit history:
Kitin: 2013-04-28 02:20:37 pm
Quote from Sebastiaaaaan:
IIRC, they only included Wellspring and no other maps

Checking for invisible walls might be possible with the unpatched .exe

That's unfortunate.

I've searched alot for cvars that reveals invisible walls but I never found anything. I could send the unpatched .exe (along with other files that lets you use it) if you want to try.
Sure, I can give it a go

Found this glitch a while ago but this is the first time I've got some use out of it. I think that I was inside the invisible wall in the first clip, but i have no idea of how it works in the second clip. You can do the same thing in lots of other places.
Another one, pretty hard to do but it will save some time and ammo.

This thread bummed me out a litte: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/segmented_timing_rage.html
so i decided to try a single segment today. Haven't played rage for more than a month until today and I haven't really played through the whole game since release almost, so the run was extremely shitty. Managed to pull of some of my skips though and most importantly the power plant skip so the in-game time ended up 1:48:39, which probably is the new WR by about 10 min. I will make more attempts in the next few days, and then I'll probably restart my segmented run.
Edit history:
Endless: 2013-06-18 12:07:04 pm
You should stream some attempts if you can; you'd probably inspire quite a bit more interest in the run if we had more content to go off of.
Quote from Endless:
You should stream some attempts if you can; you'd probably inspire quite a bit more interest in the run if we had more content to go off of.

Yeah I'll look into it. If i can record in 720p lossless, stream and still maintain 60 fps in game I'll give it a go.
Edit history:
Kitin: 2013-06-20 02:54:10 pm
Kitin: 2013-06-20 02:53:33 pm
Sorry but i can't stream Rage. For some weird reason I can only record with fraps without framedrops, even in 1080p and 60 fps. With dxtory i get framedrops in 720p and 30fps. Managed 1:43:05 today anyhow, didn't record though. Just wanted to familiarize myself with the game before i start speedrunning. Hopefully i can get sub 1:40:00, will be very tricky in a single-segment though.

Edit: Just found a record demo feature, the commands are: demorecord, demostop and demoplay. When i write demorecord in the console it responds "Recording demos/demo00001.demo" but when i write demostop it doesen't say anything. When i write "demoplay demos/demo00001.demo" the game starts the loading screen of the particular area I recorded the demo in and then the game crashes. I suspect that I'm not using "demostop" correctly since the console doesen't respond anything and the .demo files end up 1kb. Anyone with knowledge about these stuff? Guess it's similar in quake 4, which i never got into.
Sorry team!
Quote from Kitin:
Sorry but i can't stream Rage. For some weird reason I can only record with fraps without framedrops, even in 1080p and 60 fps. With dxtory i get framedrops in 720p and 30fps. Managed 1:43:05 today anyhow, didn't record though. Just wanted to familiarize myself with the game before i start speedrunning. Hopefully i can get sub 1:40:00, will be very tricky in a single-segment though.

You could try taking a look at OBS, it's free and really simple to use, there's quite a lot of guides on how to set it up, I'm sure you'll find the right settings based on your connection and computer.

http://obsproject.com/
Edit history:
Kitin: 2013-06-22 09:09:58 pm
Kitin: 2013-06-20 10:38:23 pm
Quote from fezz:
Quote from Kitin:

You could try taking a look at OBS, it's free and really simple to use, there's quite a lot of guides on how to set it up, I'm sure you'll find the right settings based on your connection and computer.

http://obsproject.com/

Thanks! Will look into it.

Edit: Just managed to get sub 1:40:00, even though I missed the jumpclimb skip and some other smaller skips i got 1:39:35. The missed skips probably add upp to a minute so sub 1:39:00 is my next goal.

Edit2: Just got 1:38:35 even though I missed the same skips as the previous run and a bunch of other fuck ups. I guess I can make a sub 1:37:00 run soon.
Edit history:
Kitin: 2013-06-26 03:28:09 am
1:36:33 now, I think I'll settle with this. Hit all the skips (that I know of) except the gearhead vault elevator one that I didn't even try to do because It's too hard and it doesen't save much time, made some pretty bad mistakes but I guess that's expected in single segment runs. Video coming as soon as I can upload long videos on youtube. 

Edit: Fuck it, I know I can do sub 1:36:00 so I'll keep at it until the end of this week. Will try to fix stream tomorrow.
Currently occupying the grey area.
keep it up. I'll be looking forward to it.

1:35:03, I'll settle with this now but i will probably make more attempts when I'm done with the segmented run.
Congrats Kitin! The only thing better than your taste in music is your skill.
Edit history:
Endless: 2013-06-30 09:29:19 pm
Endless: 2013-06-30 09:27:13 pm
Endless: 2013-06-30 09:26:57 pm
That is an incredible run, I'd accept that in a heartbeat.
Pop rockets are just insane, but I take it there's no way to buy them assembled and avoid having to construct them yourself?
What difficulty will you run the segmented run on?
I bet anyone watching will lose it at the RC car bunker; awesome movement, awesome planning, that wall climb, and a strategy that seems suicidal in a single segment.
I hope you can stream attempts, that'd be good to watch.
Edit history:
Kitin: 2013-06-30 10:07:43 pm
Kitin: 2013-06-30 09:52:51 pm
Quote from bebeDesigner:
Congrats Kitin! The only thing better than your taste in music is your skill.

Thanks man! o/
Quote from Endless:
That is an incredible run, I'd accept that in a heartbeat.
Pop rockets are just insane, but I take it there's no way to buy them assembled and avoid having to construct them yourself?
What difficulty will you run the segmented run on?
I bet anyone watching will lose it at the RC car bunker; awesome movement, awesome planning, that wall climb, and a strategy that seems suicidal in a single segment.
I hope you can stream attempts, that'd be good to watch.

Thanks! I won't submit this one yet though, I'll probably discover new stuff during the time I do the segmented run and some of it might be single-segment friendly.

Unfortunately there isn't, but the time crafting doesen't count on the in-game timer (since the the engine time stands still in menu) so it doesen't matter that much. IsraeliRD said that the in-game timer will be used for the timing despite that.

Haven't decided yet but I'm thinking Easy difficulty on that as well, nice to be able to compare with my single-segment run.

Haha yeah the wall-climb strategy seems pretty suicidal in single-segment, but it really isn't. For some weird reason you can't take any fall damage if you fall down on the elevator again from the top, so there's no risk in trying (besides loosing some seconds if you fail).

Might stream in the next round of single-segment attempts. Watching me fail and restart 1000 times over on a short segment when i'm doing the segmented run can't be that fun to watch though. Cheesy