Smiley
Sad
<- 1  -   of 28
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Reaver: If you go flying off it's generally because the game is playing back some movement that's not you 'humping the wall'. Basically you just need to be more patient before rewinding, just overdo it for a while (+20 seconds) and then you'll get a feel for it eventually. Also, spamming forward really hard makes the individual movements smaller, which also increases control. Another thing that can help is rewinding slowly after 50% of the rewind is done.

UCPro: You'd have to do the palace defense puzzle for the enemies to spawn, pulling the switch isn't enough. The thing is that for any optimized segment you could make with extra saves, I could make a sloppy one that was faster because it didn't save (I think). The only viable one before Cliffs is Zoo, and the optimal route would have you skip spawning the hammerbros. That's still a long segment.
Quote from Asco:
Reaver: If you go flying off it's generally because the game is playing back some movement that's not you 'humping the wall'. Basically you just need to be more patient before rewinding, just overdo it for a while (+20 seconds) and then you'll get a feel for it eventually. Also, spamming forward really hard makes the individual movements smaller, which also increases control. Another thing that can help is rewinding slowly after 50% of the rewind is done.

UCPro: You'd have to do the palace defense puzzle for the enemies to spawn, pulling the switch isn't enough. The thing is that for any optimized segment you could make with extra saves, I could make a sloppy one that was faster because it didn't save (I think). The only viable one before Cliffs is Zoo, and the optimal route would have you skip spawning the hammerbros. That's still a long segment.

I'll give it a go. Thanks

As for the segmentation there is a way of getting the 2 enemies to spawn after the puzzle. I've been working on the route Smiley I need to figure out what causes them to spawn, but you can also spawn them quite quickly rather than the usual waiting. I'll update on this once I get the chance to test it.
Oh cool, that would definitely help a lot!
Edit history:
Asco: 2015-02-10 01:12:45 am
Asco: 2015-02-10 12:26:22 am
Here's an update since a lot of new things have been found. The main finding we've done is that you can use the zip glitch to teleport predictable distances by playing back actions like (in order of distance) a walking step, a sword attack, a dagger attack and a roll. This leads to stuff like this:

Now, this can also be used to skip the triggers that normally cause the game to crash because of Farah. We can now skip all fights up to the elevator, which obviously brings it's own problem - because that makes the elevator fight practically impossible. Well, maybe not...

Edit history:
Reaver: 2015-02-12 08:40:43 pm
Okay. Got used to the zip trick. Lot easier if I hold down my walk modifier on the keyboard to walk whilst doing the steps, then fast rewind part way then slow rewind the rest. A lot more successful than what I was doing. Already got the hang of the high jump trick and the dagger zip.

Possibly useful for a segmented run.

When you near the top of the stairs and he sees the saw poles zipping past he'll say "Oh no. Why did I listen to that mad man?" then if you hang around there a second both sand monster normally spawn. Unfortunately I had it in the overview mode and you could barely hear him say it in the above example. I wasted a bit of time hanging near where the save point becomes active at the start so should be able to do it a little faster than this. 
Continued to be impressed by the things your finding Asco, nice work.

Reaver - yeah that looks like a great strat for a segmented run.  I'd say that should definitely be used and doesn't cost a ton of time.
Edit history:
Reaver: 2015-02-13 07:17:56 am
Reaver: 2015-02-13 07:17:32 am
Don't know if this zip trick has been found. Might be useful here or other places (caverns?).

Edit history:
Asco: 2015-02-15 04:25:01 am
Asco: 2015-02-14 04:58:12 am
Asco: 2015-02-13 09:55:28 pm
Hey guys, yeah I actually managed to spawn the enemies myself after defense puzzle, but nice to see that it can be replicated.

UCPro: If you liked that elevator strat, I think you'll like this one even more Cheesy :

(Edit: I changed this to a better version)

Just for the record, this means that it's possible to beat the game without ever retrieving sand from an enemy. Also, Henneko beat your segmented run last night with a time of 1:27 in a single segment run, and there's still so much time to save Smiley (Another edit: Bl_ got sub 1.20!)

Reaver: That strat for warehouse is nice, but it won't work since there's a load trigger at the switch at the corner diagonally from where you enter the warehouse. We have another strat involving two sword slash zips though.
It might be worth mentioning now that the WR for this game is sitting at around 53 minutes and the WR holder is going for sub 50.

It was basically found to be most optimal to use M+K for zipping because you can fit more actions in to a "zip" that uses the scrollwheel to take individual steps.

I was having a bit of a reminisce about the thread whilst trying to find Mike's Sum of Best - Zipless (which is essentially using the tech available during Mike's SS run) is a category that is relatively active with me, Tocaloni and Asco still trying to bring this time down. Toca has a 1:38:12 atm and we're aiming for probably a 1:35:xx

I think we may FINALLY be getting to the stage where there is not much more to find but how many times has that been said here? I also have found some small timesavers as recent as yesterday Tongue

Both the any% and any% zipless routes are in a great place right now and I'm running the new any% at both ESA and SGDQ.
Edit history:
tocaloni1: 2017-06-24 07:16:03 am
tocaloni1: 2016-10-09 06:09:07 am
tocaloni1: 2016-10-09 06:08:52 am
tocaloni1: 2016-01-18 04:22:48 am
tocaloni1: 2016-01-18 04:22:40 am
tocaloni1: 2016-01-18 04:22:30 am
tocaloni1: 2016-01-18 04:21:57 am
tocaloni1: 2015-12-18 03:07:14 pm
tocaloni1: 2015-10-17 07:46:06 am
tocaloni1: 2015-09-13 07:11:53 am
tocaloni1: 2015-09-13 07:11:34 am
tocaloni1: 2015-07-14 10:44:10 am
tocaloni1: 2015-07-14 10:43:46 am
tocaloni1: 2015-07-09 01:52:10 pm
tocaloni1: 2015-07-09 01:50:05 pm
tocaloni1: 2015-07-09 01:49:22 pm
[Last edit: 06/24/17]
It might be worth mentioning now (thanks for the intro sentence, Henneko) that quite some stuff happened during the last years. Any% is now down to 37 minutes by catalystz.

On the other hand any% zipless got some crazy new strats too very recently. There is a HoL skip now which saves 3:30 minutes over the old route, a new glitch in prison which saves 1 minute, a box teleport to skip palace defense (saves ~1:30 to 2 minutes) and many more small optimizations (e.g. walking anywhere on invisible ledges is now possible). The world record for zipless (as of june 2017) is 1:13:54 due to all the new strats. And I think that - f i n a l l y - there is not that much more to find in this category (though I shouldn't say this, the findings of last months kinda disproves this I guess Cheesy )