adzicents: 2011-05-07 06:47:01 am
adzicents: 2011-05-07 06:44:51 am
mikwuyma: 2011-05-07 06:43:17 am
CMiller: 2011-04-22 05:11:07 pm
CMiller: 2011-04-18 09:18:02 am
King Laskdjf
Original OP from CMiller
Quote from CMiller:
At the risk of shameless self promotion, I'd like to let everybody know that I worked on the Portal 2 official strategy guide. Anybody happening to pick it up will be able to access movies via a movie code, and I spent a lot of time looking for shortcuts. A fair amount of what I found made it into the guide itself, but some did not.  I don't know if any of the others will be available via movie code, but if you happen to get the guide it'll give you guys a place to start. There's movies and shortcuts for both co-op and single player. There's one fairly major skip in there at least.

Some bad news though:

No more Bunny Hopping and ABH
No more object climbing
There are invisible barriers in places
There are progression based triggers (i.e. switches you have to hit to continue on. They 'turn on' the ability of certain walls to accept portals.)

I'm really curious to see what you guys can come up with.

SourceRuns discussion board (contains seperate forums for each map both single-player and co-op)
Speedrun Wiki (in-progress wiki)
Thread title:  
#Casual
Ew, those restrictions sound like put-offs, but that won't stop me from buying the game!
... and won't stop people from speedrunning it Wink Only a matter of time.
Not a Zelda 2 refrence
I'm assuming they fixed the various oob glitches then too. I'm sure there's plenty of new stuff, I'll be disappointed if there are more then a couple levels that can only be solved in the obvious way.
I heard a rumor standing in a portal and shooting another kills you instantly...
Procrastination Nation!
hahah CMiller you beat me to it.

I noticed another potential glitch.  I'm going to put it on spoilers.

When you drop down into the incineration room and you see the stuck turret, picking it up makes the game really wonky.  It made my computer go into sleep mode for some strange reason.  I dunno if this will happen on other computers so it's unconfirmed
Currently downloading, probably won't be done fir a while since the steam traffic is messing with the download.

Going to be spending the next few days on this so I should have some interesting stuff to add.
Standing in a Portal and shooting another does NOT kill you.
that Metroidvania guy
I found a trick.

Edit history:
DemonStrate: 2011-04-19 09:07:44 pm
DemonStrate: 2011-04-19 09:05:04 pm
DemonStrate: 2011-04-19 09:04:52 pm
DemonStrate: 2011-04-19 08:52:05 pm
If we were you, we would quit now.
Quote from romscout:
I found a trick.

Do you mind if I call that trick "crouch flying"? It seems that when you get stuck in that mode, you are actually floating. I repeated it on the map you show (which is sp_a4_laser_catapult), and if you try to ramp down the tubes, it'll keep flying in that direction... until you hit the ground.

Edit: Okay... even before you reply, I'm calling it Crouch Flying on YouTube. I will note you as the discoverer. It should also be added to the SDA wiki for Portal 2 (if it exists yet). I will post the video when it is up.

Edit: Portal 2 - Crouch Flying Glitch - Discovered by romscout:
that Metroidvania guy
Yea I didn't bother going OoB or anything right after that, since I was focused on finishing the game. Cool that it works like that, though. Now that I beat the game, I'll probably go back through and dick around some more to try finding other cool stuff.

P.S. DemonStrate, up for some co-op? ;o
Arrested for felony abuse of emotes
Quote from DemonStrate:
Do you mind if I call that trick "crouch flying"?

For some reason, I keep reading that as Crotch Flying. ><
hi
currently downloading. can't wait to play it myself.
Not a Zelda 2 refrence
really nice glitch, looks like you can really pick up some speed when crotch flying

I'm going to need someone to co-op with at some point, only four hours into the single player atm tho.
Edit history:
CMiller: 2011-04-20 03:35:37 am
Are you playing on the PC or the 360 error1? I can co-op on both, but I'd probably play better on the 360. I could at least share all the shortcuts I know.
Uh, really obvious point which I'm sure the likes of DemonStrate already know but which hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread; there's still a delay between firing a portal and it appearing/opening, so you can still toss a portal just before entering a portal of the same colour and have the new portal appear after you've gone through.

Nice finds so far btw.
Edit history:
DemonStrate: 2011-04-20 06:11:33 am
DemonStrate: 2011-04-20 06:06:15 am
DemonStrate: 2011-04-20 05:53:15 am
If we were you, we would quit now.
The crouch flying glitch does not seem to work on sp_a4_tb_intro. Can anyone else test it out?

Edit: Or on sp_a4_tb_trust_drop. Maybe it is only specific to the map you found it on?

Edit: Nevermind. Got it to work on sp_a4_tb_intro. Also, you can travel through the Excursion Funnel and preserve the glitch. Additionally, if you shoot a portal to move the ExFu, it will cancel the glitch.

Edit: Got it to work on sp_a4_tb_trust_drop. Are there any other maps with a top-side button and an ExFu?
King Laskdjf
I have a feeling that considering the size of this game compared to the last, a collaborative speedrun like the half-life series would serve better.
I haven't stumbled upon any bugs as of yet, but I'm trying to find the fastest methods of doings the earlier chambers. For instance, I found this route out for Ch10 while trying to grab the achievement for doing it in <70s.

You can skip reuniting with GLaDOS at the end of chapter 6 by flinging from the wall to the elevator. I did this by accident in my first playthrough and didn't realize I skipped anything until the next map loaded and she was suddenly on the portal gun so I had to reload my save and figure out what I was actually supposed to do. <_<
Edit history:
Pineapple: 2011-04-20 07:20:13 am
Well, I'm not really a serious speedrunner, but I just managed 2:20 real time with a couple of deaths, without any tricks or glitches. Someone not trying to speedrun in their 3rd time through the game will almost certainly get sub-2.

One thing to note that will catch speedrunners out:
In the escape sequence, there's a part during the Wheatley flashlight section , I think it's where he lights walls for you to shoot portals at. The trigger for him to light the wall is on the stairs just before you get to the wall, but he doesn't react to this trigger until he's finished saying something. Which means that you have to do the next part in the dark. Or wait, wondering why nothing is happening for 30 seconds, and then walk back to the trigger...

Edit: Parax, I tried that, but kept falling short. What's the trick?
Procrastination Nation!
Just a quickie, here's the official portal 2 glitch list from the Steam Forums.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1849054
Now that I'm done with co-op, I will be uploading any fast routes that I find in sp.

I seem to have stumbled on something where entering and exiting a portal at an angle with the repulsion gel at the base gives you an extremely high velocity. I just randomly went flying not long ago and I'm not really sure what happened, this is just a guess.
Here's a neat trick that skips quite a lot of sp_a4_finale2:

Part 1
Part 2

Pardon me for making it into two segments but the jump is devilishly hard with the poopy airstrafe that you have in Portal. Feel free to capture it, I won't.
Edit history:
adzicents: 2011-04-20 10:29:21 am
King Laskdjf
Quote from coolkid:
Here's a neat trick that skips quite a lot of sp_a4_finale2:

Part 1
Part 2

Pardon me for making it into two segments but the jump is devilishly hard with the poopy airstrafe that you have in Portal. Feel free to capture it, I won't.

Working on it, this definitely needs to be captured. Very cool skip.

EDIT: Alright, captured and uploaded, the video is unlisted, but I figured it doesn't really need to be posted outside here.

Edit history:
Paraxade: 2011-04-20 02:26:34 pm
Paraxade: 2011-04-20 02:26:27 pm
Ok, here's a video of some Chapter 6 stuff (including the trick I mentioned earlier).

-The first trick lets you get into one of the test chambers without hitting the triggers you're supposed to go through on the way up. This lets you get yourself permanently stuck inside since you skip the trigger that starts the gel and water, which makes the test unsolvable, plus you can vaporize the cube.
-Second one lets you get on top of the rafters in the same test chamber. Useless. You can't go higher and skip the puzzle entirely because there's an invisible wall over the top.
-The third clip shows how to skip basically the entire last map of the chapter GLaDOS.