--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
trihex: 2007-10-18 06:48:30 am
Yoshi's eggs are at my mercy!
I know it's extremely too early to bother with this thread (It just released today for US), but I'm extremely anxious about this game. I've played the first 40 minutes and am absolutely blown away. I haven't felt this sort of enthusiasm for a game in years.

Anyway, without a doubt, I'm definitely doing a speedrun of this wonderful game eventually. GameSpot revealed that an average player could run through it in 30 hours, so in speedrunning figures, the 7 hour limit shouldn't be a problem for a Min% at all.

I still haven't decided what type of run I'm doing yet, though, from what little I've played, min% is looking likelier.

I have planned out so far:

********* SPOILERS *********

Seg 1 (sub 20 minutes): Unskippable intro, unskippable text, fixed text speeds, nothing I can really do. Those who appreciate stories will definitely love the run because segment 1 will just have 20 minute forced intro, concluding with the first available save point.

Seg 2 (sub 20 minutes): Tutorials on how to brush stroke, do 2 constallations, enter battle for the first time, and what not. Non-cinematic text means you can mash X to skip it thankfully. Once Ammy acquires the Slice Brush, I pass up the same save point, concluding this segment.

I'll keep in progress and whatnot whenever I feel it's worth mentioning.
Thread title:  
新世紀進歩的羽扇子 音楽
Oh, yes, somebody cares!

I haven't entirely decided on my purchase schedule for the four games I really want this fall, but I doubt that I won't be getting this before too long, since it's the one I've waited by far the longest for, haha.
100% runs=great to watch
An eventual 100% run would be pretty sweet to watch what with all the action and such.
Eternal Understudy
While I very much want to see a run of this game later on, as this game looks absolutely transcendent, don't rush into a run so shortly after its release. Play through the game a couple times without even thinking about speedrunning. Then, when you get the feel for the game, look at it differently.
Quote:
While I very much want to see a run of this game later on, as this game looks absolutely transcendent, don't rush into a run so shortly after its release. Play through the game a couple times without even thinking about speedrunning. Then, when you get the feel for the game, look at it differently.

I know, that was mostly the enthusaism talking yesterday. I'm most definitely appreciating everything there is to enjoy before doing such things. Both segments above should be easily half the times, but I took my time with everything.

For a scale here, aside from playing this, I'm revisiting Fire Red (it's in the sig), and I have 134 hours on there with an even LV. 59 team of Charizard, Golduck, Hitmonchan, Mr. Mime, and Zapdos. Mewtwo will be the 6th once I pwn his ass. Anyway, all of that's irrelevant, I definitely will continue to do what you said Suzaku.
Not a Zelda 2 refrence
Its possable to skip the Oni Island blockguy and posably the fight with the two orges by hooking on to the pink flower. I think you can see it clearly with a double jump from the staricase before the two orge room.
A Crab
Doesn't square skip text faster?  I think you only have to hit it once to skip a bit of text, rather than twice with X.
Ride on shooting star
Quote:
Doesn't square skip text faster?  I think you only have to hit it once to skip a bit of text, rather than twice with X.

Also, during forced sequences, holding square will automatically go to the next text faster.

I just got this on Saturday, and was hoping somebody might speedrun it.  I haven't gotten too far yet (just beat the ship), so I'm not sure how much I can help, but I'll try.

Things to think about (not sure how much of this will help, but some of it might...it'll at least make me feel useful :P):
--Shopping.  The merchants will add extra text, so you probably won't want to shop too much, but the Mermaid Coins could be useful at some points (particularly the 3-dog fetch quest).

--Speaking of that quest, if you get the one in the forest first, you get the moon technique, which will let you skip to night for the Cutter family event.  Unless it's already planned so that it's night when you get there.

--Probably can't get any dojo techniques besides the required one because of the extra sequence.

--Any use for demon fangs?

--The L2 map.  Not sure how useful or not this will be, but it's right there, so it can probably be helpful in some spots.
Quote:
Also, during forced sequences, holding square will automatically go to the next text faster.

I just got this on Saturday, and was hoping somebody might speedrun it.  I haven't gotten too far yet (just beat the ship), so I'm not sure how much I can help, but I'll try.

Things to think about (not sure how much of this will help, but some of it might...it'll at least make me feel useful :P):
--Shopping.  The merchants will add extra text, so you probably won't want to shop too much, but the Mermaid Coins could be useful at some points (particularly the 3-dog fetch quest).

--Speaking of that quest, if you get the one in the forest first, you get the moon technique, which will let you skip to night for the Cutter family event.  Unless it's already planned so that it's night when you get there.

--Probably can't get any dojo techniques besides the required one because of the extra sequence.

--Any use for demon fangs?

--The L2 map.  Not sure how useful or not this will be, but it's right there, so it can probably be helpful in some spots.

I never thought about the whole square text skip. I'll have to try it.

Shopping will probably happen very rarely throughout. The bosses have proven to be way too easy to use any of the temporary damaging/healing items. I don't see the need to improve your God meter by feeding any animals, so I don't plan to.

School and DDR SuperNova have been the factors that have prevented me from progressing in the planning of this run. I'll try to get a few hours in, and some more progress, tomorrow.
Edit history:
Psychochild: 2006-10-18 05:07:44 am
Well, I've been playing through Okami as well (Got to the point where I'm supposed to find a whirlpool at sea and I can't find the damn thing anywhere!) and I'm clocking around 16 hours.  Very enjoyable, at least.  Great time killer until Twilight Princess comes around.

With a minimum percent run, you only really need to get the double jump and that's it from the Dojo, as far as I can tell.  But what would be the ideal weapon set up when we're talking strictly minimalist?  Would the player be relying on sub weapons much in the first place in such a run?  Should the player be using the glaive or the Reflector in the main slot?  These are unupgraded weapons we're talking about here. 

Edit: Found this in a Gamefaqs guide, haven't tried it. 

Using a Reflector as a Subweapon, Ammy can use it like a shield to stop enemy attacks from the front. However, here's its secret: If used for Melee attacks (close ranged attacks), it causes the enemy to drop one Fang and results in a spinning piledriver-style attack for non-boss enemies which does incredible damage.

Worth looking into.

Random tip that might save some time, the Catwalk Tower is a PAIN in the ass if you're doing regular wall jumps.  It's probably obvious, but instead of doing wall jumps all the way up, just jump onto the wall, then jump away, do the double jump, and then go brush up against the wall again to stick.  It's much faster.  Repeat this anywhere you end up using the infernal technique. 

When you get the double jump, is it faster to swim or is it faster to jump-> Double Jump-> Air Tackle -> Lilly Pad from one to the next?  Regular swimming's faster than using the lilly pads, but not sure about when we drag Double Jump into things. 

In a minimum percent run, the player shouldn't actually be using any items unless it's entirely forced upon him correct?  So he would be purchasing meat and fish bags (Unless he can find them easily enough from the environment), a fishing rod in Sei-Yin City... anything else?

Talking about Mermaid coins, because of the run category he shouldn't be shopping for them.  I'm sure whenever you absolutely need them they'll be close by (As is the case on the top of Catcall Tower) and you'll probably be forced to pick some up like with Mr. Bamboo.

If that's the case... talking dog quest here, it'd be ideal to take care of the Cutters first, go to Sasa Sanctuary, get the water brush technique and the Mermaid Coin, talk to that dog in the bamboo grove and fight him, and.. from there?  I have NO idea.  It's probably faster to go to Agata Forest's dog, then to Yamiki Village and use the mermaid coin you'd get to zip back to Taka Pass (You need to open up the Mermaid Pool anyway for the return trip, I'm sure, so you have to do Mr. Bamboo's thing first). 

You need to test this though. 

Hrm.

And yes.  Square Text Skip is the best, since you just don't need to press anything at the end of a text block.  Just hold it down and take a snooze as you wait for Issun to stop prattling along concerning breasts. 

I don't see the need to improve your God meter by feeding any animals, so I don't plan to. 

Some quests require it, namely the first five dogs and the cat on Catcall Tower so you'll NEED the food somewhere along the line. 
Not a Zelda 2 refrence
It should be noted that when you upgrade your health or Ink it refills it. Its best to save what ever fame you get and use it during a hard battle to refill your hp or ink.

I think the glaive deals the most damage per second and can be charged at the start of a fight or when dodging. A rosary sub weapon makes the flying umbrella girls, and the clockwork owl bosses easier. I find you have to play very defensively to make any use out of a reflector sub weapon.
Ride on shooting star
Would a min% run exclude bought items?  I'm honestly not sure myself.  If so, it might be best to start with an Any% for pure speed with mermaid coins.

Playing a bit more, I did find a use for the Demon Fangs (in an Any% run, of course, since this is a single-item), since there's an item you can buy from the emperor that teleports you to any Origin Mirror (which would even have a wider range than Mermaid Coins...not sure where it can be used, though, since I haven't bought it).  You're even forced into the shop menu for the emperor, so that wouldn't waste time.

The problem is the price.  80 demon fangs, which would take a good amount to get.  If you could get some double-kills with floral finishers, you might be able to get enough, but it's probably just out of reach, unfortunately.

On another demon fang note, though, the Peace Bell (keeps roaming demon scrolls away) might be more reasonable.  I think it's something like 40 Demon Fangs, but you'd save time/retries from trying to avoid enemies.

On that topic, I've noticed demon scrolls are generally more agressive (meaning they're more likely to head towards you rather than just float around) at night than at day.  Whenever possible, it will probably be best to keep it at daytime.

Either way, if a 100% run is going to happen (which sounds a bit improbable to me, with the many items you'd have to get, although I can never tell :P), a way to get lots of demon fangs fast has to be found.  If there was some way to stock up early and get one of these items when they come for an Any% run, it might be able to save some time.

Just thoughts, though.
Edit history:
Psychochild: 2006-10-20 03:16:40 am
Well, the Demon Fang items will be a must for New Game + runs, and in an Any %, you COULD farm Shinsui Hills or whatever when you return to get the dog quest and do Floral Finishers then (If of course none of the guys there require fire elemental brush techniques). 

Remember, although the peace bell COULD be useful, you could always escape a fight within five seconds time.  And for a 100%, I'm more concerned about Yen then the Demon Fangs. 

You spend so much yen in that game for new moves, weapons, celestrial brush upgrades and techniques such as Inferno, Galestorm, the Cherry Bomb and Power Slash upgrades, and PERHAPS gold dust (If we have Zelda as a guideline, we'd only need to have purchased the item once to fill its slot in the Tools menu, right?) that it'd be run of the god damn year if someone could squeeze THAT out in 7 hours counting cutscenes, load times and all...
Ride on shooting star
And for 100%, there'd still be the stray beads and the animals (each type has a % next to them in the menu, and you'd probably have to use them for the praise anyways).  So yeah, it seems impossible right now. Tongue

I think all the Imps (which are the major enemies in Shinsui Fields) need a Power Slash as the Floral Finisher, which is nice.

Gold dust, I'm not sure.  You can buy up to 15 from any person who sells it, so it's not a one-time item, and I'm not too sure on its use.  If I remember right, in some Zelda 100% runs, items are skipped if there's a stronger version later on.  In the manual, it claims that every weapon, with gold dust, will not exceed the power of future weapons.  With that, it seems like you'd just have to put gold dust on the strongest weapon in the game for 100%, although I guess we'd need the final word on that.
Noooooooooo

do not run this game until I play it through!!!!! Sad
yes, a man carrying a gimp
Nobody said you had to watch the video, and it's not like it's going to be finished anytime soon.
Yeah, sheesh.

I don't think anyone's in this thread has cleared the game yet...
Ride on shooting star
Yeah, but I'm getting there.  I'll probably beat it by this weekend.  After the endless flow of games stops (so many games coming out soon), I mgiht actually test with speed running it (which I've never done before, jsut thought about it), although I don't have any recording equipment, so it'd just be looking for techniques.

Anyways, more on Demon Fangs.  From GameFAQs:

Loading screen demon fangs trick
There are two loading screens in Okami:

The first one is a trail of paw prints followed by a picture of Issun, you can make the paw prints bigger by pressing X a little bit before they appear.

The second is a screen where pressing X multiple times will place a number of paw prints on the screen.

On particularly long loading sessions one can attain demon fangs. By carefully pressing X on the "trail" loading screen all the way through where you would normally see Issun, you will see big paw prints and a demon fang. The second type press X as fast as you can until you see a demon fang. Each time you do this correctly those demon fangs will be added to your inventory.

This sounds kinda fake, but if it's true, it'd be a nice way to get some extra Demon Fangs in a 100% run without having to waste any time.  Anybody want to test it?
Quote:
Yeah, but I'm getting there.  I'll probably beat it by this weekend.  After the endless flow of games stops (so many games coming out soon), I mgiht actually test with speed running it (which I've never done before, jsut thought about it), although I don't have any recording equipment, so it'd just be looking for techniques.

Anyways, more on Demon Fangs.  From GameFAQs:

Loading screen demon fangs trick
There are two loading screens in Okami:

The first one is a trail of paw prints followed by a picture of Issun, you can make the paw prints bigger by pressing X a little bit before they appear.

The second is a screen where pressing X multiple times will place a number of paw prints on the screen.

On particularly long loading sessions one can attain demon fangs. By carefully pressing X on the "trail" loading screen all the way through where you would normally see Issun, you will see big paw prints and a demon fang. The second type press X as fast as you can until you see a demon fang. Each time you do this correctly those demon fangs will be added to your inventory.

This sounds kinda fake, but if it's true, it'd be a nice way to get some extra Demon Fangs in a 100% run without having to waste any time.  Anybody want to test it?

They work, I've gotten... about 20 dragon fangs up to this point by abusing load screens.  Granted, you can only seem to get one on the 50 paws screen even if you hit 100, but the first one, it's very easy to get 2 or 3 a loading screen. 

/found that out entirely by accident.
//still neat.
Edit history:
FuriKuri: 2006-10-22 04:56:25 am
Ride on shooting star
I just beat the game. :O

I'm beginning to wonder if, in a possible Any% run (or if it would be OK in a Min%), Inkfinity Stones might help.  There's one boss battle near the end where you have to do several ink techniques in quick succession, which, me with 6 ink pots, had me going back to normal wolf form several times.  When I used an Inkfinity Stone, it worked out much better.

Also, I never tested, but do Inkfinity Stones automatically refill your pots when you get down to normal wolf?  I know regular Ink Pot pickups don't help at all.

I suppose there's still the problem of money for them, though.  It'd all depend on how much money you'd get from bosses and normal battles alone.

Which reminds me, sure somebody else has found this by now, but hitting O during the "Results" screen closes it out.

EDIT: Also, while I'm thinking about it, I did something funky in one place.  I fell off a ledge, and I hit tackle in mid-air, and then I managed to hit it again at a lower point without touching the ground.  Not sure if this is useful or how I did it, but it might have a use, so I thought I'd mention it.
Edit history:
gmacd: 2006-10-29 03:53:06 am
I just beat the game 100% today. It took me 46 hours to get everything in the game.

About the unskippable parts. In the NewGame+ you can skip any text that you can't already speed through in a normal game. So I'm thinking that a NewGame+ run would be much more enjoyable for both the viewer and the runner.

You wouldn't be allowed to use the String of Beads unlockable though. Infinite Health, Ink, and 10x attack power? Yeah.....no

Quote:
Gold dust, I'm not sure.  You can buy up to 15 from any person who sells it, so it's not a one-time item, and I'm not too sure on its use.

Gold Dust powers up weapons. There are 15 total in the game, one for each weapon. A few merchants sell you them, but you can only get two per merchant; they are one time deals. The last two are also past the point of no return, so for anybody thinking about playing the game, DO NOT upgrade the first mirror and beads. Otherwise you won't be able to upgrade two of the three ultimate weapons until the end of the game.

Glaives are overpowered. The jump slash is so abusable that once I got the first glaive I never went back to mirrors or beads. All you have to do is charge it up and jump and Amaterasu locks on to the closest enemy and hits them. If you're close to the enemy after the first slash its possible to get two more free hits because of the backflip Ammy does after the first hit.

So if someone were to do a newgame+ run, they'd have:
15/20 health right off the bat (other five are from sun fragments)
10/10 ink gourds
All but the three ultimate weapons upgraded
All bones, peaches, inkfinity stones, etc needed already bought
The ability to skip cutscenes

That'd shave off hours, and would make a >7 hour run possible
I haven't finished it yet so I'm gonna stay away from this thread but good luck
Edit history:
MissileWaster: 2006-10-29 06:27:35 pm
Quote:

I never thought about the whole square text skip. I'll have to try it.

Shopping will probably happen very rarely throughout. The bosses have proven to be way too easy to use any of the temporary damaging/healing items. I don't see the need to improve your God meter by feeding any animals, so I don't plan to.

School and DDR SuperNova have been the factors that have prevented me from progressing in the planning of this run. I'll try to get a few hours in, and some more progress, tomorrow.

I think that putting some money into the purchase of Exorsism Slip M or L would be useful later in the game. Once you get to Ninetails, the kids all go down in seconds with those two. And if you go to get the whirlpool upgrade for waterspout, you could stop using Mermaid Coins, so you could try and find out how many you will need up to that point. And Inkfinity Stones are a must buy, cause having infinite ink is extremely helpful on a lot of the more ink-based fights and some of the more ink-needed points of the game.
Inkfinity stones are a it hard to come by, but you can find Exorcism Slips all over the place in chests provided you know where to look and they aren't too far out of your way to snag. 
Edit history:
MissileWaster: 2006-10-30 02:42:42 pm
Quote:
Inkfinity stones are a it hard to come by, but you can find Exorcism Slips all over the place in chests provided you know where to look and they aren't too far out of your way to snag.  

Exorcism Slips come across fairly easily, but not in the L size (which are extremely helpful for later boss fights). I went from the beginning of the game up to the Ninetails fight and (without purchasing any) had about 4 or 5 and ended up using them all in the fight. After that, I decided to start buying them.

Inkfinity Stones are actually fairly easy to come by, the chests that have them aren't too out of the way (with some exceptions), but it would probably be easier to just buy them.

EDIT: And also, for help with speeding up fights, I think it would be a good idea to invest money in Golden Dust (or whatever it was) whenever you come across a merchant who sells them. It doesn't cost a whole lot to get 2, and they can really speed up some of the later fights.