Smiley
Sad
<- 1  -   of 273 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I'm don't think you need a bean in the graveyard. You can longshot and latch onto the crate or something, by standing on top of a tombstone.

You don't need a bean for the Lost Wood skulltula, you can nab him with the longshot as well (you have to know exactly where he is first, since you can't see him).

Colossus and Crater seem impossible without beans, though.
What about all maps+compasses in the dungeons?
No the Quail is not riding the Q
Quote:
What about all maps+compasses in the dungeons?
nah....that woud make the temples boring...I don't consider that 100%.
Ben Goldberg
I don't see why they're less important than 100 skulltulas.
Quote:
I'm don't think you need a bean in the graveyard. You can longshot and latch onto the crate or something, by standing on top of a tombstone.

You don't need a bean for the Lost Wood skulltula, you can nab him with the longshot as well (you have to know exactly where he is first, since you can't see him).

Colossus and Crater seem impossible without beans, though.
yeah and in the grave yard you can just grab the ledge using the fence to get it before the hookshot since when you get the hookshot you will be out of the grave yard.

-
I don't see why they're less important than 100 skulltulas.
-
what maps and compasses? They don't appear in the quest status subscreen except when your in the temple. That will just slow my run down opening treasure chests for no reason. It is not like it was MM where you buy the maps which would be different....
However, it is still under debate so I'm not sure
If it doesn't appear in the Quest Status screen, then it should be avoided, I say.
m00
I think it was explained in another thread here, though I'm too lazy to search now.

bottles, hookshot etc improve character abilities, after picking them up your character can do stuff he couldn't do before.

maps and compass improve player abilities, or player knowledge. Your character doesn't have any advantages of a map or compassn, since your character cannot even use them. Only the player can. And a good player knows these things anyway, so they can be safely skipped.
Im Addicted to Games
I would watch the run.. i just hope you do the run this time.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I would also watch this. I like watching runs like this.
Also tenkiforecast
I'd watch.
deet
Quote:
If it doesn't appear in the Quest Status screen, then it should be avoided, I say.
i agree, and i would watch it too.
do you still try?
Zelda Scientist®
lampi. stay cool son. Its all good.
You need to do that mask trading sequence if you want all the upgrades AND you MUST do it as YL before the ToT. The upgrades at the stage in the Lost Woods are glitched, if you go forward in time before getting them it becomes impossible to get them, the Dekus just attack you.

DC and Crater beans are required. Have to use the bug trick for getting Skullatas out of the dirt patches without constantly reloading. (Since you have to visit it anyway to get the skullata and the stick upgrade, the LW planting near the bridge might cut off enough time in the Goron Sword trading sequence to be worth it.)

Need to go fishing at some point, that'll add some time. Scarecrow song... some temple spots that have Gold Skullatas are skipped entirely using Faore's Wind in TSA's routes so they'll have to changed in places.

I've done, very bad, 100% runs on OoT in two days or so. Sub-12 hours and mostly from memory. I got the maximum number of tokens on YL before ToT, for fun, which allowed me to get the most out of the mask sequence (Giant's Wallet) would probably cost me some time.

I don't have the game anymore, sadly, but I could probably draw up a preliminary route if you wanted some ideas.
PwNzRd!
Eyed watchit...
Still needs more planning....then I'd have to test everything. I want to get my SFA run out of the way.
Proof that I actually play games Tongue

When I actually start making segments for this one I'll be sure to tell you all.
Edit history:
Acryte: 2006-01-12 11:35:23 pm
Zelda Scientist®
in a 100% run you can get 40 skulltulas and get bombchus w/out doing spirit early. investigation required. Time saved? I have no idea... the route may just require beating it all normally instead of saving Dodongo's for last.

MQ can gold scale and beat Zora's first and then get bombchus there to beat Dodogo's.

both have it alot easier than the SS which needs to travel to spirit early, though that too has it's benefits.
Well, since this is revived, I'd like to say that the upgrades at the forest stage that you can get with the skull mask wouldn't be that far from when you sell the skull mask to the skull kid...
like cranky kong, but not as nice
i'd be mighty impressed to see this sub 7 hours - i think, with the players here, actually getting everything necessary might be possible, but i think it's the travelling about that'll cause the problems, e.g. to-ing and fro-ing for the biggoron sword with no warps is, what, 20 minutes on its own? all 10 big poes, 3 at a time? another 20, i'd say (especially with that unskippable text).

i do know that only two magic beans are necessary, though, as has already been said: the death crater and spirit temple ones. the only other shortcut i can think of right now is to use the longshot off the bridge between hyrule field and kokiri village; get it just right and you stay on the ladder, else you'll drop to the bottom
The original leever.
its ironic that acryte is replying to a YEAR OLD post the last post was 6th of september his was today... so anyways yeah it sounds good and people forget that if you get the upgrades and things it makes the game easier so you can take more risks take more hits to go faster
Don't forget the extra piece of heart in Gerudo fortress as a kid. I'd think getting to the desert as a kid would be faster as then when you came back all you'd have to do would be the bottom of the well.

Yeah, the mask of truth is required for a Deku Nut capacity upgrade which I can only assume is required so you do have to get it. You also have to remember the "fun" glitch that makes the expansion impossible to obtain after having ever become an adult.

Yeah, thinking of a preliminary route for kid link:

Deku Shield/Kokiri Sword
Deku Tree stuff
Leave forest immediately for Fairy Ocerina
Go straight to Hyrule Castle town.
Go straight to Zelda. Get Zelda's Lullaby.
Head to Kakariko. Do the graveyard stuff(sun's song, very important for the whole game, gravedigging tour, Hylan Shield) and talk to the guard to trigger the mask sidequest. Get the gold skulltullas at night to make 10 so you can get a bigger wallet which will help in the minigames. Also get the bottle.
Head to Lon Lon Ranch. Learn Epona's Song and get the bottle. Also get the piece of heart in the back.
Go to the forest(save warp also lets you end the segment) and enter the lost woods. Get the Deku Stick and slingshot capacity upgrades. Get the piece of heart from playing the ocerina with the two skull kids. Learn Saria's Song. Use Saria's Song to get another piece of heart from another skull kid.
Go to Hyrule Castle town and get the Keaton Mask.
Go to death mountain delivering the mask as you go.
Enter Goron Village and get the Goron Bracelet. Get the piece of heart by tossing the bomb in the pot now. You won't be back here again as a kid(or rather you won't go this low in Goron City again). I think there's a gold skulltulla on that upper platform too.
Bomb open Dodongo Cavern's entrance and backflip off to get the piece of heart they meant for you to use a bean to get.
Beat Dodongo's cavern. It's too bad you have to come back with the boomerang for a gold skulltulla and again as an adult with the scarecrow's song. Remember you can miss a gold skulltulla if it's on the way for those later.
After your Goron Hug, go to Goron City for a bigger bomb bag, and then head up the mountain for the magic and gold skulltulla. Ride the owl down.
Head to Zora's domain and purchase as many magic beans as you need. Get the Silver Scale and warp to Lake Hylia.
Get the bottle and activate the Scarecrow's Song. Do the fishing stuff now too.
Return to Zora's domain and get that heart piece. Catch a fish and head to Jabu Jabu.
Get Faeroe's Wind and beat Jabu Jabu's belly 100%.
Return to Hyrule Castle town and get the ocerina of time/song of time.
Enter the market and do the minigames(bombchu bowling and shooting gallery). Return the dog to the lady for a heart piece. Save the treasure chest gallery for the beginning of a segment as the time efficient time to do it is right after becomming a kid again without the lens, so you will have to luck abuse.
Get the Skull Mask and save and quit.
Head into the lost woods and get the second Deku Stick upgrade with the mask. Use any beans you need to here. Give the mask to skull kid to further the sidequest. You can end a segment here with no loss of time, but it would be ridiculously short.
Head over to Gerudo Valley getting some overworld stuff along the way(the other Deku Nut upgrade and a piece of heart are hidden in grottos underground around here IIRC). At Gerudo Valley get your pieces of heart and then glitch into Gerudo's Fortress.
Get the extra piece of heart and continue into the desert.
Pass through the wasteland getting the gold skulltulla along the way.
Get Nayru's love and enter the spirit temple.
Complete the child link section getting the silver gauntlets, bombchus, and the Requirum of Spirit. Savewarp out.
Go to the market and, if you want to get it over with, do the treasure chest game. Either way, get the Skull Mask. Deliver it to Kakariko and get the Gold Skulltullas there that require the boomerang. Pick up stone of agony and giant's wallet.
Return to the market and get the bunny hood. Sell it with your new giant's wallet to max out money.
Get mask of truth and savewarp.
In forest get second Deku Nut upgrade and last capacity upgrade for child link. Also, if you haven't done so, return to the Deku Tree and get the gold skulltulla that requires bombs. Head to the temple of time and become an adult.

I know I skipped some stuff and wasn't very detailed, but I think this is the basic skeleton for kid link's section of a 100% run. Feel free to chip in and suggest places to save time as this is just off the top of my head. Remember some stuff is best saved for the second time through as kid link when you have warp songs(other than our glitchy requirum), and a few things require the Song of Storms. Speaking of which, how does the infinite gold skulltulla glitch with the gold skulltulla by hyrule castle count? It could be used to avoid all real collecting, but it's not in the spirit of the run at all. I think the adult can do the second trip to Dodongo's Cavern with no need for kid(the gold skulltulla with the boomerang should be gettable with the hookshot). I also omitted stuff that should be obvious like getting the pieces of heart on Zora River the first time through(the second one might be easier done when returning with the boomerang). I did omit Din's Fire, but I think that's best saved for the second trip with the song of storms so you can get it with that gold skulltulla. That might cause some adult route issues though as no din's fire limits you. So yeah, thoughts?
Does everyone know the trick about getting the same skulltulla over and over again until you have them all?

If you don't know it, you go to hyrule castle just before where you normally see that farmer guy, Talon or whatever. There's a tree just before him and you place a bomb at the base of it and it blows a hole. There's a skulltulla in there, you kill him, lock onto him and boomerang him, but before you actually collect the token you step back onto the platform which takes you out of there and you receive the token as your rising. when you go back in, the skulltulla will be there again, but you have received a token for him already... Do this as many times as you like.
Would this be allowed in the 100% run? I'm doubtful...
Edit history:
Acryte: 2006-01-13 11:46:09 pm
Zelda Scientist®
Illegal. There are also 2 more methods to do that.

The reason I responded to a year old topic was simply to post some new information that was relevant to a 100% run  so that I wouldn't forget it and people wouldn't know. Secondly, I never intended to revive anything lol.

Amphoros - if I had more time today I'd read it but good work. I'm sure fierce has ideas to chip in if he's still interested at all. Maybe if you get a good route together and people start optimizing it, it may be enough motivation for people to go out and start running this type of run.
I'd actually love to do this type of run myself, but I know I should keep the focus on my current run in terms of playing. Perhaps after I finally get this one done(it's taking forever, but Ice Cap is being stubborn and I need perfection to beat the current one...) I'll pick this up. It's cool to be able to think about doing a Zelda speedrun without the inevitable being shot down by TSA, and the fact that I still remember where a lot of those things are well over a year since last collecting them scares and excites me. Even if it just comes down to someone else using this sort of thing, it's good to help.

Also, thank goodness the trick is illegal. It would basically kill one of the biggest parts of the route planning. The kid link route is probably the simple part too. Managing bottle contents to get the big poes with minimum time loss is an adventure in and of itself, and doing the biggorron sword stuff ASAP while trying to get warp songs that speed up the sidequest(they don't help on the time requirement ones, but they sure do on the basic deliveries) is an interesting proposition.

Also, to be curious, is the extra heart piece required for 100%? I'd be stubborn enough to get it anyway at a time loss even if it wasn't(it's just too novel...), but the fact that you weren't meant to be able to get it makes things interesting. I would think that early Silver Gauntlets would do cool enough things for the adult link route to make it worth doing the kid desert early though extra heart piece aside.
I'm addicted to games
Actually, you could do the skulltulla duplication trick if you wanted, such as if there's benefit to getting enough skulltullas to get the giant's wallet or bombchus earlier than you would otherwise.

But you still have to get every skulltulla. It's like being able to get the missile launcher in metroid echoes twice. Just because the game says you have "100%" when you skip some other item doesn't mean you do. The same here with 100 skulltullas.