List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Mega Man IV (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Audio quality: as good as a Gameboy gets Smiley I always loved the music of this game!
Video quality: again, a Gameboy - it doesnt get any better than this

I use the weapon shortcuts as stage names cuz i am lazy:

PH
- it is a bit faster if you jump right before those crumbling blocks fall down 1 level as you land on them earlier to trigger the next crumbling, but its not that important and is only mentioned in the tas topic
- fine aiming and moving through the level
- boss fight is fast and from my viewing the hit doesnt interrupt the charging

RI
- fine movement and aiming again
- admits a 5s loss from the roader hit himself
- on the last screen before the boss door screen, maybe that top cannon can be shot from below so the projectile wont stop him from climbing the ladder
- boss fight is great

TO
- big PH to destroy the birds looks good
- skipping of the first snail is also nice
- one missed PH on a jelly ceiling dropper, so he has to stop to shot it again a bit later (maybe roughly 1s loss)
- perfect 2nd snail
- big PH on boss first then continue with RI and he doesnt use rain once - very good

BR
- good aiming and special weapon usage
- intentional hit to slide through big enemy is well planned
- in those 2 rooms where a spinner is on a platform above and you have to move from right to left to a ladder to climb up: in the first screen he slides and shots the enemy from the ladder, in the 2nd he waits so that enemy goes right and slides - dunno if the 2nd version is faster and why it hasnt been used in the 1st screen
- failed jump shortly before boss door, maybe 2s lost
- boss fight is good with that large PH, but maybe he couldve jumped over the shots of the boss before he used rain the 2nd time to not get hit and fire the weapon a bit earlier

1st inter
- good boss fight, although he admits 10-12s worth mistake himself
- ballade is ok, but some hits couldve been avoided

CR
- good aiming and planning
- nice use of RC
- some missed shots, but the missed enemies dont cause much lag
- missed charged P on boss and killing him with RI - some time lost, maybe ~3s because of the lag the missing charged P causes, too

NA
- perfectly timed jump before the blocks explode at the start
- nice use of BR before the passage he has to use it, looks like a time saver cuz the lag is reduced too
- boss fight was good and fast

ST
- again nice aiming and planning
- that TO usage to not get hit from the 2nd shield statue is quite nice
- hesitation on weapon select screen Smiley
- best boss pattern possible, just that hit is nasty

CH
- good thing he takes damage from the chicken eggs to pass throught the chicken (that reads strange...)
- no movement mistakes
- very fast boss fight

2nd inter
- the hits on ballade seem avoidable, but with all the lag this fight has its difficult to say
- in the escape, the first BA couldve been in NE direction instead of just N, costs maybe 1-2 seconds
- the rest was ok and the BA hits as intended, much better escape planning compared to the run posted in the thread

wily
- weapon refill is needed
- the hit from the rocket can be avoided by properly timing the slides, 1-2s lost
- the claw bot fight was good
- nice usage of BA
- properly timed BR before the 1st miniboss
- nice strategy on 1st miniboss with TO and NA
- that passage before the 2nd miniboss door with THAT RJ and BA is gold
- 2nd miniboss is ok

refights
- missed charged P on PH, costs about 3s
- took a hit from CH
- again best ST pattern
- bad luck on CH
- RI fight went ok after that hit
- he doesnt use a big PH on brightman before he uses TO, that seems really slow, he has enough PH left

- 2 mistakes during wily 1st phase, i dont know how bad they are cuz the lag is heavy during that phase
- 2nd phase went good, that missed 1st shot doesnt waste too much time

timing:
---------

I think timing should end when the last button is pressed before the outro / credits. that makes it 00:05 to 43:17 = 43:12 as the run time - im completely against marking the final hit on wily as the final input for timing

conclusion:
--------------

I cumulate roughly 30s worth of mistakes for a 43:12 run. that is just barely fine with me. the lag in this game is horrible and can screw you more than once when your input isnt actual input. the play quality of the run, mistakes aside, is quite good, although some points may still need discussion.

I vote for accepting.

Quote:
This is an easy accept. Grats to the runner.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Will 'willwc' Blatt!
Thread title:  
Hope rides alone.
a bit sad that i am the only one that actually wrote comments...

gratz though!
I'll be in the Angry Dome!
Awesome, thanks to the folks who verified and a special shout-out to Nate for the rescue work he did on the video.

I appreciate the detailed feedback. Agree with almost all of it, just a couple of things to add/respond to:

-I tried to get the hang of timing my jumps with the crumbling blocks in PH/ST/Wily, but the timing varies because the movement of the blocks can introduce lag, especially when the screen is already busy. Everything in this game causes lag Smiley
-Next-to-last screen of RI: good point about killing the cannon from below. When the timing works out I can usually kill the cannon on the top level without waiting for the shot but it obviously didn't happen here.
-In BR, I didn't pause for the second screen with the spinner--it's just placed further to the right, so it immediately drops down and goes to the right (out of my way) . On the first screen I kill it because it doesn't drop down until I'm sliding and it will knock me off the ladder if I don't.
-Timing the jump on the opening NA screen is actually really easy--the jump times up perfectly with the music Smiley
-Routing the second half of the game was a lot of fun--the weapons in this game give a lot of flexibility. Stone Man was my favorite stage to run because I think it has a lot of neat tricks that require precision, so I'm glad that it went really smoothly in this run.
-On the Bright Man refight, I didn't use the PH shot because I only had two bars of energy left (one charged shot), which would have only done 3 damage to Bright Man and wouldn't have saved a TO shot while introducing two extra weapon changes. If I would have had enough PH energy to do two charged shots (similar to the first fight), that might have saved enough time to be useful since it would cut out a full Toad Flush (3+3 damage), but as it is I think doing the three TO shots and finishing off with BA (to have it out for the weapon refill on the next screen) is the quickest I can do without better PH management earlier.
-On the missed shot on the final Wily phase, that's just a tic I developed for timing. There's actually a fairly narrow window to be able to hit him twice before he drops the bomb (which deflects the BA shot away) so I was pretty lucky to pull that off twice.

In case I haven't said it before, I really appreciated the work you did with BoMF on the TAS, PreddY--there were a whole lot of tricks I learned from it that I would have never found on my own, and the ran definitely came out a lot better for it. Thanks!

Now all we need to finish off the Game Boy MM games on this site is find someone crazy brave enough to run Mega Man III... Cheesy
Quote from PreddY:
a bit sad that i am the only one that actually wrote comments...

Sorry, I meant to be more detailed, but then things got busy, plus you basically had covered everything I noticed already.

Quote from willwc:
Now all we need to finish off the Game Boy MM games on this site is find someone crazy brave enough to run Mega Man III... Cheesy

Ugh, I'll get back into it enough to get a run up someday eventually, I swear.  That game is way too bad crazy awesome not to have a run of it around.  It'll have to be when I have some other GB/GBA games that I want to record/stream, since its a little much to justify buying a GC, GBplayer, and hori digital input pad for one game.

In any case, congrats.  I know how much of a laggy mess the GB games can be.
beware of the hori ... it's a good idea in theory but it has input lag. all the metroid speedrunners i know use a gba or gbasp as the controller.
Edit history:
PreddY: 2013-02-01 01:09:12 pm
Hope rides alone.
Quote from willwc:
In case I haven't said it before, I really appreciated the work you did with BoMF on the TAS, PreddY--there were a whole lot of tricks I learned from it that I would have never found on my own, and the ran definitely came out a lot better for it. Thanks!

thanks.

MMIII is easy to speedrun, I practiced it some years ago but decided MMV was easier and nerve-preserving. MMIII will be quick as it has no boss refights, punk is totally easy and the endboss is a joke.

maybe when i got some spare time i might think about it, my recording equip is still there, MMIII will then be on super gameboy Smiley

oh, and since the other verifiers didnt say anything to it: will you follow my timing suggestion?