of 38 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
aleckermit: 2010-11-16 02:42:33 pm
An operative speedrun of this game would be pretty easy, here's a speedrun of the Facility level I did (not perfect or anything, mainly demonstration):

Obviously not fully optimized or anything, just wanted show that this game is pretty easy to speedrun on Operative difficulty (you can run past nearly all enemies). This was my first recorded attempt, after maybe 35 minutes of learning/practicing the level. There's an easy 10-15 seconds of possible improvement, especially if you're willing to roll the dice and try to run past more enemies than I did. All strats found by myself.

I've finished Nightclub in 6:41 (using best possible Sgt. Garcia meet-up spot), and Severnaya Outpost in ~6:00 (can be much improved, I died once).
Thread title:  
Edit history:
superjer: 2010-11-21 12:25:55 am
superjer: 2010-11-21 12:25:18 am
Ermf..
I got a PVR just so I could record time trials in this game. I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this one. I think it rocks.

Time Trial mode is a bit odd in that each level's Time Trial is tied to a particular difficulty with no apparent pattern.

Anyway, here's my 10:21 on Level 1-1 "Dam" -- which for whatever reason means the "007" difficulty. This is nowhere near perfect but we got to start somewhere, eh?

EDIT: BEATED!

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I have a 9'53 on Dam in time trial (007 difficulty):

And a 9'18 on Facility, also in time rial mode (which is of course slower than aleckermits time, as he plays on Agent/Operative):

Concerning speedrunning GoldenEye Wii in general: on Operative you can really run through most levels without taking care of the enemies. On the higher difficulties, you can still run past most guards, but in some bigger rooms, you have to use stealth tactics to stay alive. On individual runs you still can try to run through a big room, but at least for a SingleSegment you have to find the balance between speed und stealth. So an Operative run shouldn't be that hard. But first we should try to set some good individual runs to find the best strats.
Edit history:
superjer: 2010-11-20 05:53:05 pm
Ermf..
1-3 Airfield, Time Trial, 4:21

EDIT: BEATED!

Ermf..
1-2 Facility, Time Trial, 9:13

I was unbelievably nervous for this one, and it shows Tongue

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
A few improvements by me:

Airfield - 4:10 min

Nightclub - 8:02 min
I wanted to get sub 8 mins, but Sgt. Garcia was usually in the bad spots, when I had a good run -> her being in the 2nd best spot wastes around 8-9 seconds, I think (and there are 3 spots, afaik)

Carrier - 8:58 min
I got sub 9 mins, but still a lot of improvement possible. Somehow I still have trouble with the last part where you run through the fire to the exit. I sometimes get killed by the helicopter missiles and I have no clue why they sometimes hit you and sometimes not.

Outpost - 5:23 min

Bunker gives me some trouble to speedrun, especially the end before you reach Natalya. Maybe I should continue with Archives^^
Edit history:
superjer: 2010-11-20 08:56:20 pm
Ermf..
1-3 Airfield, Time Trial, 4:01

(See next post!)
Ermf..
1-3 Airfield, Time Trial, 3:57

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Haha, I just wanted to post, that I see sub 4 possible. Nice work.
Edit history:
aleckermit: 2010-11-21 12:49:17 am
aleckermit: 2010-11-21 12:40:15 am
aleckermit: 2010-11-21 12:39:05 am
aleckermit: 2010-11-21 12:25:16 am
aleckermit: 2010-11-21 12:15:45 am
aleckermit: 2010-11-21 12:14:11 am
Good stuff dudes. When I'm not so busy I'll work on a few more IL's (and will put more effort into them than my first which was a test of sorts). I think I'd like to try the Tank level next, to see how much I can get out of it :P.

I really don't find the extra objectives in 007 mode all that interesting, I think I'd rather see a blazing fast Operative mode run myself.

PS: Yes, there are 3 Sgt. Garcia spots in the Nightclub. The spot that is directly across from the bar is the fastest spot I think. The 6:41 Operative run I did of Nightclub was pretty good, I put a lot of time into it.

PSS: Also, you can avoid having to climb down most ladders. For example the ones in the carrier level on the ship. you can simply drop down if you enter the holes in the right spot to where you won't touch the ladder. Some ladders I've just touched at a weird angle and it made me drop instead of grab-on.
trepidation
This just goes to show how popular SDA is with Nintendo fans. I don't see anyone clamoring to complete a "Black OP"s" run, but you can be damn sure that someone will do a Wii run. I'm not complaining, I love Nintendo, I'm just observing.
Ermf..
aleckermit: How do you avoid the ladders in the carrier? I've tried everything. Can you give me a hint?
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
@avoiding the ladders: I used this "bug" on my Dam run (watch 8:45-8:55) to skip the last ladder. I think that's what aleckermit means. I also tried the same on Carrier, but for some reason I never got it to work. But if aleckermit has done it on Carrier, then it should be possible if you enter at the right angle. I think this saves 3-4 seconds on each climb.

@Sgt. Garcia: you mean the spot that's closest to the security guy? Well, yes, you need that spot, as Sgt. Garcia moves slower than Bond, so she has to walk the shortest way. Second spot (in the middle) wastes around 8-9 seconds, third spot... I don't really know, as I never tested, but probably around 13-14 seconds. So to beat the current runs, you really need the best spot, as 8-9 seconds is a lot.
Quote from superjer:
aleckermit: How do you avoid the ladders in the carrier? I've tried everything. Can you give me a hint?

Just hop down the hole while being as far away from the ladder as possible. May not work with all ladder spots of course but I've done it with many.
Edit history:
aleckermit: 2010-11-24 01:56:44 pm
Tank (Operative) in 4:08

Here's a really optimized Tank level speedrun. I avoided things that slow the tank down (like driving over cars), and cut corners as much as I could. Nearly every shot fired was shot for a specific reason and needs to be replicated if you want a time this low (especially in the last parking lot). Shooting a few helicopters is necessary to stay alive. I really don't think this time can be lowered unless there's another shortcut somewhere. I got like 10 attempts in the 4:09-4:14 range before I was able to get this 4:08.

It's not a hard level or anything, but I can confidently say that this is the most perfect speedrun I've ever done.
Ermf..
Here's possibly the optimal route for the beginning of 1-1 Dam. It requires some luck to get the sniper rifle this way.

Also: The truck is invisible! Why? I have no idea.

Ermf..
No such luck getting the above trick to work in a full run yet. But here's a 9:42 on 1-1-Dam Time Trial mode:

Bane of the Sith
some of these runs look fantastic.  keep up the good work!
Ermf..
Carrier! 8:23!

My comments are on the Youtube page.

Bane of the Sith
What happened to this run?  Is Superjer planning to complete it?
Seeing as how Superjer hasn't logged into his SDA account in six months and hasn't uploaded anything Goldeneye to his youtube account in that time, I think it's safe to assume he's abandoned this run. That said, I have every intention to complete an individual level run of this game on Operative difficulty (Where the fastest time is the main goal, I see no point in doing the extra objectives of Time Trial mode). Unfortunately, I don't have a laptop or computer near my Wii that I can hook up my capture card to at the moment, so I won't be able to record for a few months. But I'll definitely be practicing and will report any tricks back to this thread.
Bane of the Sith
that's comforting.  If I wasn't working on my own run and have more things to do besides, I would be helping you out on this.  However, if you have a time that you're not quite satisfied with, just tell me and I'll take a whack at the level, myself.
Edit history:
Phazonelite7: 2011-06-08 08:51:45 pm
Phazonelite7: 2011-06-08 08:29:40 pm
Phazonelite7: 2011-06-08 08:28:44 pm
I've messed around with the ladders a little bit and I don't think there's much that can be done about the ones in the Carrier. What's frustrating about this game for speedrunning is that there's no jump button.

What I want to know is what the most efficient method of sprinting is. After sprinting the first time, immediately sprinting again will only last half as long; there's no in game stamina bar either. So is it faster to walk a little bit after sprinting and regain stamina or to just constantly try sprinting?
Bane of the Sith
I'll do a bit of work with that sometime, with a stopwatch.  I've always done quick-sprinting, I've never waited.
Edit history:
Phazonelite7: 2012-01-11 03:27:30 am
Phazonelite7: 2011-06-10 08:25:10 pm
Phazonelite7: 2011-06-10 08:24:12 pm
Yeah I think quick sprinting is the fastest; the way the stamina refills in this game is rather odd. I don't think it constantly refills after you stop running but rather in increments. I've been doing tons of bug hunting, trying to run through walls and wedge myself between objects and whatnot to try and gain early access to different sections of levels with no such luck. Also, I've managed to improve Aleckermit's Facility time to 8:06, although I don't think his 7:54-7:59 predicted optimized time is correct. 8:00-8:04 is more likely with current strategies.

Edit: just got an extremely optimized 8:03 on Facility. I think 8:02 will probably be considered ideal.