List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

ILs

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Good quality for both video and audio. No evidence of cheating. Learned some new tricks though watching this that I hadn't known about before with F-Zero. Good use of alternating between Time Attack and Grand Prix in order to manipulate a boost from other racers. I'm glad that over 20 years after the game was released, I get to see a speed run of this game. 

From what I observed, all the times except one (noted below) in the videos match the times that are in the IL Table in the comments.

Full Track:
Mute City I -Time Attack Also, nice squeezing between the edge and the slow-down patches on the first lap.
Big Blue - TA. 11/11/11. Good.
Sand Ocean - TA. Good. Bit of slowdown at the end for hitting the edge too much, but at least runner had boost on during that time.
Death Wind I - TA. Runner hits every boost. Looks good.
Silence - TA. I'm curious as to why the runner chooses to hold 'down' on the jumps the entire jump. Iirc, you get a faster boost from holding up. You lose that speed when you land if you're still holding up, but if you hold down as you land, you retain the same speed, right? Very good still, other than a few hard bumps.

Mute City II - Grand Prix. Good use of narrow gaps and jumps. Other racers did not interfere.
Port Town I - GP. SHORTCUT! I like it. Ran into a good number of walls the third lap though, so this one could be better.
Red Canyon I - GP. Good. Error in the comments though. Comments say 2:18.82 for this level. Both cover for video and end time for video show 2:18.86.
White Land I - TA. Good.
White Land II - GP. Good. That's got to be a tough shortcut at the beginning landing the two jumps in a row.

Mute City III - GP. Good. Practically the same as Mute City I.
Death Wind II - GP. Missed a couple of boosts, it looks like. Hit a racer. Could be improved, even though this level is a pain to do in the first place (especially in GP).
Port Town II - TA. Big shortcut again. Good.
Red Canyon II - GP. Good.
Fire Field - GP. LONG course. Well done though.

Lap Time:
Mute City I - TA. Little bit of slowdown on that last turn, but hard to make it otherwise.
Big Blue - TA. Good.
Sand Ocean - TA. Good.
Death Wind I - TA. Good.
Silence - TA. Good.

Mute City II - GP. Good.
Port Town I - GP. Fast.
Red Canyon I - GP. Good.
White Land I - TA. Good.
White Land II - GP. Good.

Mute City III - GP. Good.
Death Wind II - GP. Good.
Port Town II - TA. Good.
Red Canyon II - GP. Good.
Fire Field - GP. Good.

Overall, ACCEPT. Only one level looks like it needed some noticeable improvements, but besides that the other levels were ran extremely well.

Quote:
Audio and video are okay. The runs are well done with not a lot of mistakes.

accept

Quote:
the video and audio is pretty good quality. it is PAL and it looks slow but it looks just like it should. there was no cheating detected either.

as usual, a great display of skill from our friend WMJ. like always, GP mode throws the bad things on the runner like the cars that make you turn wide but that's more the game's fault. what we have here is quite good. TA looked pretty good and tight.

accept to all of them.

Quote:
Good audio and video quality. Being a PAL-kid, I can't say it looks slow, though Wink

Ran into walls quite a few times where it looked unnecessary to me—Port Town 1 would be the most prominent example.
Also what I find inconsistent concerning the energy-flashing-thingys on the sides of the track: If they make you faster, why doesn't the runner abuse them more? If they make you slower, why doesn't he avoid touching them more? If they do nothing to your speed, it would still look better imho, if he avoided them anyhow Wink

Would still accept the runs. Not perfect, room for improvement, but impressive and fast enough to be here.

Also file naming inconsistency: mc_HQ.mp4 vs mc1lap_HQ.mp4. And nice to see a high-quality slap-video =D

Quote:
Riding on the guard rails only costs time when not boosting.  It does look sloppy, however, but the vehicles can be somewhat hard to control when boosting, so some of that is understandable.
Pausing between laps is annoying, and should be avoided.  This happens in Big Blue, Mute City 1, Mute City 3, Red Canyon 1, Silence, and White Land 1.

Track Comments:
Death Wind 2: Hitting the wall in lap 3 caused a missed boost, which cost a bit of time.  That unlucky rear-ender in lap 4 didn't cost much time, luckily, thanks to the booster afterwards.  This is a very hard track.  Very nice wall damage boosting!
Port Town 1: That skip is so awesome.  Hitting the wall 2 different times each cost a small amount of time because of boosting that is always done after that tight turn.
Port Town 2: Looks like hitting the wall at the beginning is manipulation to get another rear ender boost.  Nice.  Hitting the wall once only cost a small amount of time because of boosting afterwards.
Port Town 2 LAP: Same as Port Town 2 with 1 wall hit.
Red Canyon 1: I like that corner cut.  That is not something that I would have dared to do.
Silence: Hitting the wall in lap 1 cost a bit of time.  Hitting the wall in lap 4 only cost a small amount of time because of the boost afterwards.  Holding down on the jump is done, I believe, to make that corner turn close to the wall.  But up is held when landing to avoid the crash land that causes a speed loss.
White Land 1: Nice shortcut with that jump!  This is where riding on the guard rails to avoid the jumps is fastest because jumps are slower when boosting.
White Land 2: Nice corner cut with the double bounce on the first lap!  Hitting the wall in lap 3 while boosting only cost a small amount of time.  You didn't cut the corner on the last lap, losing a small amount of time.  This is where riding on the guard rails when not boosting saves time because you are allowed to drive through the "walls" on the hairpin turns, saving lots of time.

Accept all of them.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Wouter M. “WMJ” Jansen!
Thread title:  
About time we get to see this game on SDA Smiley Congrats!
Waiting hurts my soul...
It's hard to believe more racing games aren't on SDA. Thanks WMJ for filling in this gap in the SDA collection, and congrats on the accept.
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
the irony that racing games are unpopular on a speed run site.

at least most games get someone dedicated eventually, like this one.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from UchihaSasuke:

I don't think it's because they're unpopular to run. I think it's just due to the high level of precision needed to run them (which makes them hard to run) that keeps more of them from being on the site.
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only Racing games we have is mainly consisting of Mario Kart, f-Zero, diddy kong racing and Crash Racing (with a pinch of wipeout 64 and San Francisco Rush)?

Ironic indeed...  and here I thought we needed more fighting games, and yet I think we might have more fighting games than racing games (didn't count fighting games, but I wouldn't be shocked if the number is close together).

Why do I feel that we are long overdue for a "Need for Speed" speed run to be submitted to the site?
Actually I think the reason simply is that records are broken all the time in racing games since the in-game timers usually include centiseconds and sometimes even milliseconds.
I AM FUCKED ANGRY
Quote from MAS8705:
Why do I feel that we are long overdue for a "Need for Speed" speed run to be submitted to the site?

Ewil had open a topic for the need for speed series in the PC section. Later I was working to compare the PC version and the PS1 version of part 3. I am currently work on differences for part 4 high stakes on PC and PS1 version. Than I must say, to do a run on need for speed is harder than mario kart or f-zero. 'MAS' I had not see you in the need for speed topic ? the adress link ->
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/need_for_speed_classics_26.html

Ewil is a very good PC runner, so I wait when he has time to work again on this game, because I am more psx runner for need for speed.

@ Mr. Jansen, congrats and thanks for your work Smiley
Quote from Sir VG:
Quote from UchihaSasuke:

I don't think it's because they're unpopular to run. I think it's just due to the high level of precision needed to run them (which makes them hard to run) that keeps more of them from being on the site.

Well, F Zero has an active speedrunning community outside of SDA, MK does too.
Edit history:
WMJ: 2012-07-29 12:22:45 pm
Great that these runs got accepted and this game can finally be added to the website :D.

A major difficulty for running this game is that only 7/15 tracks are playable in time attack, the other tracks are GP only. This means that for Fire Field for example, the second hardest course after Death Wind II, you have to play through the whole King Cup each time just to get a few tries. Any expert at this game can tell you Death Wind II as a GP only track is next to impossible to do flawlessly, it still took the longest of any of the runs submitted to get that run because it's also just luck dependent with the traffic. Key to fast times and expecially fast laps in the game is to cut the rail as much as possible with the boost active, this normally costs lots of speed and time but with the boost it doesn't matter. It's also highly risky of hitting the wall like accidently happend on the PT1 run but that didn't cost much time because it got a good bounce so I carried on. On Death Wind II and Fire Field this is wall bumps are used on purpose because it allows to take the corners at higher speeds. It is difficult to fully master controlling them though.

Pausing between laps happens only to know my split times since the game doesn't give it. It's needed to know if I'm still on track for a pr. Some tracks like Mute City I are so tight that I can only break my pr with a few 0"0x  so if my split time is only a little slow than it's not worth continuing, that's the main reason.

I personally like running racing games the best for some reason and with the exception of Shadow Man all runs I have submitted here have been for racing games: Extreme-G, F-Zero X, Ridge Racer Type 4, Star Wars Racer, San Francisco Rush, Wipeout 64 so it must be doable to get them on the site :P.
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Quote from MortyreR45:
Quote from MAS8705:

Ewil had open a topic for the need for speed series in the PC section. Later I was working to compare the PC version and the PS1 version of part 3. I am currently work on differences for part 4 high stakes on PC and PS1 version. Than I must say, to do a run on need for speed is harder than mario kart or f-zero. 'MAS' I had not see you in the need for speed topic ? the adress link ->
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/need_for_speed_classics_26.html

Well, to be honest, when I wrote this, I was actually looking towards 'Most Wanted' as it has a bit of a story mode to it.  Of course, I don't want to take away from Ewil or anyone else who is working on a Need For Speed speed run, and I wish anyone luck who is going to attempt to submit it, but as you said: It will be difficult to perform since we aren't dealing with fantasy racing, but actual car racing. 

Still, I might consider doing one for Most wanted if I can figure out the best cars to use.  I know that by doing segments in the game, one could techincally "manipulate" the rewards at the end of the rival races in order to get the rival's vehicle and unique Performance upgrades.  Considering how there are only 8 performance upgrades, if you get all eight (suspension, tires, brakes, engine, transmission, nitrous, turbo, and supercharger) if you can get those eight and then purchase the best vehicle by the time you get to #4, you could hook yourself up with the best vehicle to use by the end game.  The idea of being able to get cash to buy and upgrade vehicles, getting rival vehicles to sell or even use, and figuring out how to do the pursuits without getting busted, this could be a very possible speed run.  If Most Wanted is considered "Classic," then by all means, I'll be happy to join.
Is PJ
Quote from WMJ:
A major difficulty for running this game is that only 7/15 tracks are playable in time attack, the other tracks are GP only. This means that for Fire Field for example, the second hardest course after Death Wind II, you have to play through the whole King Cup each time just to get a few tries.

This.  I was actually really considering learning to play this game seriously several months ago, but when I realized that not all the tracks were available in time trial, I immediately lost interest.  It must be an incredible pain to try to get great ILs for stages that appear late in circuits.  I imagine this is mostly why F-Zero ILs haven't been submitted until now.  In any case, I'm thrilled to see this game will finally have representation on SDA, and I can't wait to watch them!

Congrats, WMJ!
Quote from MAS8705:
Still, I might consider doing one for Most wanted if I can figure out the best cars to use.  I know that by doing segments in the game, one could techincally "manipulate" the rewards at the end of the rival races in order to get the rival's vehicle and unique Performance upgrades.  Considering how there are only 8 performance upgrades, if you get all eight (suspension, tires, brakes, engine, transmission, nitrous, turbo, and supercharger) if you can get those eight and then purchase the best vehicle by the time you get to #4, you could hook yourself up with the best vehicle to use by the end game.  The idea of being able to get cash to buy and upgrade vehicles, getting rival vehicles to sell or even use, and figuring out how to do the pursuits without getting busted, this could be a very possible speed run.  If Most Wanted is considered "Classic," then by all means, I'll be happy to join.

This is a great idea. Most Wanted is really great for speedrunning, because you must pick which races to do, make car plan so you can beat all races fast and have enough money for upgrades, also a lot of luck manipulation with police chases and picking reward cards at the end of each Black List member race. The game is very entertaining to play, so it would be great if you do a speedrun of it. And I think instead of buying a car near the end of game, it would be faster to win a good car from reward car and then upgrade it. And car selection: You can start with Colbat (I'm not sure it is the fastest though) and then win Toyota Supra from #13. With it you can sweep through the Black List really fast up to #6 or so with some upgrades. Then win some good car and use all your money and bonus upgrades and then beat the rest. If Razor would be a problem you can also buy Porshe Carrera GT or Mercedes McLaren. Good luck with the run!
I AM FUCKED ANGRY
MAS8705 & Fusik -> its your day

I had play Most Wanted every day in this year all without cheats. I can run this game in story modus in ~8-9 hour with 82%. I have also unlock all upgrades for the fastes car. I was long thinking of a run for most wanted, but the story modus is very long. What we need is rules, because there is nothing what can stop me on need for speed most wanted. Wink
I hate the police modus. So I run only real races.

we need a new topic for this Smiley

#

know that by doing segments in the game, one could techincally "manipulate" the rewards at the end of the rival races in order to get the rival's vehicle and unique Performance upgrades.

-> not manipulate. it will happen to do with the story modus, when you race the first numbers 15 to 13-14 without upgrades you will get very often the best car for the other numbers. So I was unlock the car from number 3 in the race and this car has all upgrades unlocked.

ok enough. this is F-Zero Wink
Yes, someone should make a thread so we can disscus some strats. I think story mode should take about 5 hours segmented, maybe 4. And yes, rivals' cars are very fast, so we should use them throughout the whole run. We should focus on any% first: beat Razor and escape with your BMW as fast as possible.

BTW, sorry for off topic Roll Eyes
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
yeah, this conversation can continue elsewhere...

http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/need_for_speed_most_wanted.html
Edit history:
andrewg: 2012-08-17 09:53:55 am
Hi! I'm andrewg!
How do the ILs compare to the mrfixitonline times? I'm curious.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from andrewg:

Given that WMJ is on that site...

http://www.mrfixitonline.com/f0/viewplayer.php?ladder=1&user=544&rival=333
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Quote from Sir VG:
Quote from andrewg:

Oh, didn't realize! So this is on PAL I assume? Would the times be converted if done on NTSC or not? I still find it strange that NTSC and PAL are compared for a lot of racing titles.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Awesome, now it's time for a SS...
Quote from andrewg:
Quote from Sir VG:
Quote from andrewg:

Oh, didn't realize! So this is on PAL I assume? Would the times be converted if done on NTSC or not? I still find it strange that NTSC and PAL are compared for a lot of racing titles.

in MFO, PAL and NTSC are on the same ladder because the staff who made the ladders was too lazy to add extra ladders to track both separately (we even struggled to get some of the main ladders up).
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Quote from UchihaSasuke:
in MFO, PAL and NTSC are on the same ladder because the staff who made the ladders was too lazy to add extra ladders to track both separately (we even struggled to get some of the main ladders up).

Sorry, not getting a word you meant … ^^'
what i meant is that the ladders at MFO have both PAL and NTSC times together because the site staff was too lazy and didn't make more ladders to track the times separately. there's just the bare minimum ladders to submit times.
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Oh that's what you meant with 'ladders' … Sry, it took a while ^^'
maybe i should have used "rankings" :p