Sad
<- 1  -   of 32 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Viking it up
I'm skeptical that kick can be used that rapidly; I mentioned attack cooldown, and without TAS information we won't get a perfectly accurate number of frames that kick takes to cool down.  It's why repeated kicks, even by a skilled player, can't make the enemy flash as constantly as dragon boost, which has the exact same 5-frame rule.  The key phrase in your above post is "within 5 frames of it becoming available again."

It's very possible kicking has a cooldown long enough to make its dps actually lower than uppercutting and divekicking well.  Remember that insane Neera strat you showed me... I would be very, very interested to see the exact cooldown frame count of each type of kick.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-06-04 05:21:37 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-06-04 05:20:32 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-06-04 05:19:36 pm
DBoost is best because it removes the need to land; it's (almost always)4 damage per 5 frames non-stop until it ends.
Both normal and dive kicks require you to land between assaults, adding small periods of downtime.
I've tried that Neera strat in a whole bunch of places. Doesn't really work; Serpentine's knockback interferes with it, Brevon moves around too much, etc.
Also it's slower than just kicks on Neera(causing a hit in mid-air vs. waiting for her to land)
I don't remember the actual frame cooldown of kicks but it is very short; essentially just to (a few frames before)the end of the animation.
And if you want some very minor proof of kicks being more efficient, note that I add one kick before the divekick on the spider-ant in DV, and that kills it marginally faster.

Alternatively, the basic kick combo is kick, kick, cyclone, kick, kick, kick.
Vs. divekick, cyclone, divekick.
I'll ignore the cyclone because it's present in both equations.
5 kicks = 3 * 4 * 5 = 60dmg for a single jump/assault/whatever. More likely 56 since you are not likely to connect with the final tick.
48 if you can't get the 5th kick in at all, and 40 if you can only tick twice per kick(happens on some bosses. final phase FD1 syntax comes to mind, although you can kick that 6 times per jump so...eh..)
Divekick would need to tick 20/19/16/14 times during 1 jump to be equal to or greater than it in dps.(not counting extra hit-lag frames)
Never really counted, to be honest, but I'd peg it around the 16-ish area.
So....again. Situational.
Viking it up
Okay I have SO many mixed feelings about this run, but it's still the fastest to date.

That's a death to Dail there.  I was on 39 pace, dammit.
Well shit...
Simultaneously: Nice one, unlucky, and I'm going balls-to-the-walls no-life mode now.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-06-06 12:57:44 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-06-06 12:57:27 pm
Update on (Simplified) Damage Values:
(Does not consider number of hits. Because I don't know them for other characters. Just the base values.)

Lilac
Cyclone: 2
Divekick: 3
Basic Attacks: 4
Uppercut: 4
Dragon Boost: 1-4 based on speed.

Carol (All of Carol's attacks "have a slight influence based on her speed". These are base values.)
Roll: ??
Bike Ram: ??
Bike Double-Jump: 2
Basic Attacks: 3
Wild Kick: 3
Wild Claw: 4

Milla:
Thrown Murder-Cubes: 5
Shield Burst: 6 (+1 on Easy)
Super Shield Burst: 6 (+1 on Easy)
Thrown Objects: 15
Explosions(from bombs/gas cans): 15
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-06-07 05:44:59 am
Mylexsi: 2015-06-07 05:44:32 am
*whistles nonchalantly*

http://i.imgur.com/tQQBtsQ.png

Similar in nature to your run; BG was fine, but everything about FD4 was god-awful. 2:50-something.
+2 Bonus deaths restarting Brevon3.
Viking it up
Congrats.

I choked another 40 yesterday, again to death on Dail, so I've been grinding BG out a lot since.  Reading Dail's movement better, have some ideas about how to counter him staying too high before the fight starts, and also I now believe top route after Sparky to be faster, significantly.  Will time it though to be sure.  Top route is faster by a second, maybe two, but also much riskier and a little harder.
Viking it up
Backup strategy if you arrive at the water cycle at a bad time.  This relies on the subs moving down, and is barely possible with a perfect one-frame high uppercut.  Only try if trying to make up time before resetting.  May be faster than the divekick for ILs IF the best time leaving Neera gives you the right sub movement.

Also I was only two days behind you getting a 40.
Edit history:
Fladervy: 2015-06-12 04:14:09 pm
Fladervy: 2015-06-11 05:16:50 am
Here's a strat for Dragon Valley. Max speed is required to reach the platform, so this can be tricky to do.

Edit: this strat was found by YTXZ before. My bad.
Viking it up
New RM strat.  Dunno why we never thought of this.

Edit history:
johannhowitzer: 2015-06-12 06:36:59 pm
johannhowitzer: 2015-06-12 06:33:21 pm
Viking it up
Completely new post-train route in RM now.

1. Do the restart warp as soon as the RM2 music begins.
2. Divekick onto the top of the first downslope, immediately jump off the slope, cyclone, and turn around.
3. Your momentum will carry you into the pickaxe which will be in its left position.  Taking damage will recoil you forward since you're facing backward.
4. Divekick onto the lower downslope after the pickaxe if you can - not necessary.
5. When the hangbar swings down, try to rapidly pause like in the FD4 zip pause buffer setup, and look for a position where the "Paused" overlay's lower boundary - one pixel wide - goes directly through the middle of the white bar behind Lilac.  (See image below.)
6. Hold C and unpause.  The resulting boost will drop you onto the last downslope before the cyclone jump.  Other boosts can also be used if your reaction time is good with backups like divekicking in certain places.  I haven't worked out all the contingencies yet.

The pause window for this is at least 8 frames, but those frames might be nonconsecutive.  Being able to use TAS tools would reveal more.  With rapid unpausing and repausing, it IS rather easy to blow past acceptable positions.

Regardless of whether the pause buffer improves the trick's consistency (which is doubtful), it DOES save time!  Over a second, most probably.  I'll be able to provide a reliable timing when I can get video of everything happening in sequence; I worked on one piece of this trick at a time.

If you do fail the pause buffer, it's only a second or so lost to do it the old way anyway.  Attempting this is free.
Viking it up
I have a verdict for the start of the final screen of BG, the one that ends with four drills, four soldiers, and begins with two switches and an enemy in the air.

Mylexsi's method: ~7-7.5 seconds from start of screen to the topmost switch after the second red spring.  (I'm actually timing from slightly later than the screen start due to my recording not starting there, but it's before the strats diverge so it's still accurate for this purpose.)
Greg's basic method with the boost onto the first red spring from the start of the screen, launching up to the roof: ~7-7.2 seconds.
The following method I just came up with: 6 seconds.

It adds in the ceiling run to guarantee enough speed for a clean cyclone jump all the way to the top.  A quirk about getting that ceiling run, though - often the game won't put you on the ceiling slope as you're striking the corner between the slope and the vertical wall, and not already running up the wall, so it thinks you crashed into a flat ceiling.

To counter this, tap left just before hitting the first spring, and right just after hitting it.  This gives you some slight distance from the wall, and the spring's bounce upward is too fast for you to re-contact the wall before hitting the ceiling slope.  These inputs are very rapid, you can't tell that it's happening in the video above unless you pause it during the bounce.

The spring is clearly designed to put you around the ceiling loop, so I think this failing from a straight spring bounce up the wall half the time is not intended.
A small optimization on Fortune Night 2:
In case no one else has noticed yet, the Wii U port of Freedom planet is going to be released August 3rd, 2015.
Right after GDQ ends. Nice timing Tongue
Didn't know that you could get stuck on these dandilions kind of like you can on the cranes from BG.
Edit history:
Fladervy: 2015-06-22 04:47:47 am
Fladervy: 2015-06-22 04:47:30 am
Fladervy: 2015-06-21 01:36:03 pm
The Dragon Balloons at the beginning of FN often get on my way and make me lose a lot of time. It's possible, though, to clip through them.

I'm trying to figure out how to make this clip happen consistently.

Edit: screenshots of the point where the clip happens (2 frames apart):

Viking it up
I'm thinking of doing a perler set for an SGDQ prize.  The prize deadline is a little over two weeks away.  Not sure which character sprites I want to use, though, so please tell me which you think would work best!

Milla's there to be cute, so there wasn't much to choose from, just the cutest ones available.
Lilac's got a few choices; Carol has plenty, since she's the cynical sidekick and makes fun faces.  I am not sure I want to include the bike.

Edit history:
johannhowitzer: 2015-06-27 08:19:43 pm
johannhowitzer: 2015-06-27 08:16:18 pm
johannhowitzer: 2015-06-27 07:15:43 pm
johannhowitzer: 2015-06-27 05:48:24 pm
johannhowitzer: 2015-06-27 05:47:38 pm
johannhowitzer: 2015-06-27 05:46:46 pm
Viking it up
EDITED: I've done some more work on color balancing.  If I can get a couple packs of HAMA beads to ship in time, it can look like this:

The bill to make all this is a bit steep, though, around $125-135.  I'm not sure it's worth it, especially considering Freedom Planet is not a very well-known game yet, and a prize may not bring in many additional donations.  The steep price tag is because there are so many colors and I have to buy the beads in packs of 1000.  I'd have a lot left over for future projects, I guess... but several colors represent less than 10 beads / pixels.

Also, Perler has discontinued Pastel Pink, and my only reasonable alternative is Fuchsia HAMA beads, which will almost certainly arrive after the prize deadline because they have to ship from China... without them, Lilac's hair and face shading is really blocky.
Don't suppose there's a way of re-colouring existing ones yourself?
Viking it up
I think I'm going to do it.  It won't cause things to be financially tight, and I can make many more perlers in the future for far less money, even if I'm not going to marathons.  As for the Fuchsia beads, what I'll do is submit the prize before it's completed if it's not ready in time, and just take a photo of the perlers missing the few beads that haven't arrived yet.
So this turned up on my fb feed http://craft-berry.tumblr.com/post/122545695627/lilac-from-freedom-planet
Viking it up
Hey, I ran into some of that guy's stuff when doing google research for my project - I recognize the little cube on the left.

Perler stuff has arrived except for that one color.  I'll probably stream the project.

EDIT: Carol's done.

Meteor Swarm
Mm the game sprites seem very small, I think working on it for perleers is a bit hard