Smiley
Sad
<- 1  -   of 85 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Hey thanks!, sorry for not replying earlier.

Yeah basicly when I started it nobody who does the 8 psx run does SS anymore as far as I know. Only Bizkit doesn't have an RTA time. There is also little difference between both runs as one resets and the other gets the code. Apart from a small chance in getting a world map RE you can more or less convert the times. But then again on PC SS seems more popular so there I did divide it. I guess thinking about it it's a bit inconsistent so I'm going to divide it too. I'd already been thinking about it for a few days since I only recently learned that RTA is possible on the PC version (for some reason I thought it wasn't Tongue ) But having the question come up at all seals the deal hehe. Thanks! Wink
I forgot to post these earlier, these are my current notes. Any questions feel free to ask.
Attachment:
Master of Mystery!
Hey guys. I'm pretty new here. I'm currently routing a Castlevania Chronicles run as my first speed run, but I also wanted to work on something slightly more laid back lol. I'm currently doing a lets play of FF8 and now I really want to try to speed run it. I'm doing research and hopefully I can put together a good run but I have a few questions.
I'm actually using the steam version. It's just easier for me and SO much easier to stream, my first question is, Is the steam version it's own catagory?
Second, on the steam version the did some updates and one new feature is called magic boost. I'm sure you guys know what it is, if not. It lets you add extra magic to any given save file.
It has a set list. It gives all your party members 100 cures, curas, curagas, and stuff like that. It will only give you up to level 2 magic, except cure it gives you level 3. It has other stuff like Break,Bio, Esuna and so on.
I guess the real question is, is that allowed in a Steam FF8 run? Considering it is a built in feature. If so, is that a separate catagory as well?
Sorry about the super long post. Also I apologize if this has already been discussed.
Thanks Smiley
Steam version has less loading times compared to PSX, so the run is about 40-50 Minutes faster, so it has his own category.
The Magic Booster would be another category, like "FF8 (PC) Magic Booster" or something. It would Speed up the game even more, because you can do less junction stuff and dont need to grind fish fins (Maybe even Skip Quistis Card).
I Think there is not a single person yet who made a Run with the magic booster.

Would be cool to get more FF8 PC runners, there are just 3 runners i think Tongue
Master of Mystery!
Awesome! Yeah, with magic boost you could spend less time playing Triple Triad. The 100 Curagas would make fish farming obsolete Smiley
I'm hoping to start my 1st FF8 Magic Boost speedrun attempt within a week or so.
Twitch.tv/ThomasEnigma88 if you guys would live to check that out Tongue
Thanks so much for the help
Master of Mystery!
Also, it seems like I can put card mod on the back burner while I get every character HP-J.
In my casual run , thanks to magic boost I was able to have everyone with 2500 HP before Timber.
check your pantry
Hey all! Been lurking this thread for months and doing practice runs, and recently I've been recording my runs on twitch. Thanks for the notes crocogoat! They're much more....minimalistic compared to mine, which is actually a good thing. Smiley
Edit history:
moooh: 2014-05-03 06:52:41 am
Exoray
Use of magic boost was asked and answered two pages back: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/final_fantasy_viii214_247.html

Basically it's considered no different from any other cheat code a game might have and thus wouldn't be allowed for SDA submissions.
check your pantry
This is probably a dumb question, but what is the difference between Single Segment and Real-Time Attack? Isn't a real time attack also done within one segment? Is it a different measure of in game time vs real clock time?
Hey welcome btw!

The "RTA" route saves the game and then resets in 1 place (before the train to Deling) so it doesn't have to go to the tomb to find the Caraway code, this saves some time. Otherwise there is no difference, same timing.
Often these terms simply serve as "tags" so people who know about it can see what and how it's being run. Also it's fun to debate about for hours Tongue
In my wiki-thing I simply try to use whatever the communities seem to be using.
check your pantry
Thanks man! I appreciate the explanation. Smiley
Edit history:
Vultuz: 2014-05-05 02:26:06 am
RTA = Start run, save and reset "allowed", finish
SingleSegment = Start the run and finish without reloads/resets
In FF8 you can manipulate the Code for Carvay by reset and reload the game at a specific spot (as Crocogoat said)

Basically if you save somewhere and get trolled by a boss or something and need to reload your run is automatically an RTA (i think so atleast Tongue )
Gotta go fast!
I'm looking in to running this game but I don't think I can last all 11 hours that a run is likely going to take me at first so where do people suggest splitting the game in to segments? Any advice would be great thanks
Edit history:
Vultuz: 2014-05-05 03:40:24 pm
Well the Run isn't 11 Hours, if you get good at it, it should be 8:40~ about (7:50 Steam VersioN)
If you dont want to sit the 8 Hours Straight, just do the Discs one by one, shouldnt be a problem.
Its about
Disc 1: 3 Hours
Disc 2: 2.5 Hours
Disc 3: 2.5 Hours
Disc 4: 0.5 Hour
If you Know the Route. Even the Steam version ask you about to Save when you have a "disc-change"
My first Disc 1 run (PSX Version) took me about 4 1/2 Hours
Hey Guys.
I have a question to the delling tomb skip.
Is the Number you need depending on the Version of your ps2?
I saw most runners use -52. But on my Ps2 it seems to be -47
Not that I know of, if you reset before the train I've never seen it be anything other than 52 no matter wich version.

Speaking of wich though I was wondering if you could figure out the code based on wich step your "last" encounter before the code is (in the dream). Maybe even have 2 or 3 codes that are close. I mean if I'm not very mistaken it's based on stepcount and frankly if I don't screw up big time usually that is pretty close. Not having to save and reset would save time obviously and it would turn the run SS again Kappa Wink
Ah ok, that makes sense.
I will keep a closer look on the steps I make Grin ( the unwanted ones)
Edit history:
FFgamer86: 2014-05-13 04:28:14 am
SDA Speedruns: 1
It's not based on step count. I am almost 100% positive its based off the length of time plus actions in battle. Because you can take as many steps as you want after you save and reset before going onto the train and still get the same code.

If you do it correctly when you go up the Escalator in Deling City, you won't see any kids come down the other side. This will indicate you did it correctly.
Edit history:
Vultuz: 2014-05-13 05:46:58 am
I Got the 2 - 5 - 0 [052] Code on the PC version too!
It just depend where you Save and Reset, if you reset the game before the trainspot (maybe because you lost a card game or died to diablos etc.), the code changes! so basically you have to go to this spot without saving. Otherwise you have to figure out the Code in the tomb
Quote from FFgamer86:
It's not based on step count. I am almost 100% positive its based off the length of time plus actions in battle. Because you can take as many steps as you want after you save and reset before going onto the train and still get the same code.

If you do it correctly when you go up the Escalator in Deling City, you won't see any kids come down the other side. This will indicate you did it correctly.

Oh I meant I thought the stepcount in areas where you can get randoms excluding the world map. I don't think you can reach such an area at that point before the sewers? But maybe you're right, I guess it could be tested with soft-resets. I'll have a look.

The saving theory might be it also, if it's that then there's certainly nothing to find.
So caracarn noticed that if you have all characters in critical at beginning of battle, you save about 3 seconds or so of animation before the ATB gauge starts to fill. Characters in critical won't do their beginning animations at battle.  The easiest point to manipulate this is Squall/Rinoa in space since you can do the menu to put them into critical at LPI and not waste game time by entering menu. The whole sequence saves roughly 20 seconds for the 8 battles.
Makes me wonder if it could be used for dream 2? You get like 6+ forced battles and it's also like 3/4 seconds saved per fight. By hitting Ward once he gets into critical probably. The only thing would be getting HP-J on Ifrit at the Timber menu and some different menuing etc. It's probably not enough I guess. Maybe it's a thing with the 3 fish fights idea that you tried a while ago.

Btw about the "save the dog" thing you guys were talking about at the marathon. From what I tested a while ago you can  -not save the dog- (have to kill red soldier though) , but you have to be sure you exit before some value on the timer or you drop a rank. I forgot exactly what it was though, might be 25:00 or 24:00, I just save him lol.
Saving the dog is easy since you run right into him and doesn't cost time since you have to wait for XATM-092 anyway.  I still do the 3 fish fights, It allows me to have Ifrit learn Str+20% first and he learns it before Diablos.
check your pantry
Is getting cerberus worth it? Caracarn got it in his recent WR. What are the tradeoffs of getting cerberus vs not doing so?
Quote from stealinbread:
Is getting cerberus worth it? Caracarn got it in his recent WR. What are the tradeoffs of getting cerberus vs not doing so?

Getting Cerberus is pretty much needed for SPEED-J and hastes from his Card.

This allows you to reduce your battle-speed but keep the "original " fast speed by having hastes junctioned to it.

idk really if its used or good for anything else, lol