Sad
<- 1  -   of 85 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
SDA Speedruns: 1
There's a glitch called Double GF that works on 4th Laguna Dream but not the 5th. It allows you to Equip the same GF to 2 different characters. If we could get it to work during the 5th Laguna Dream then we could skip Cerberus because we could just duplicate Pandemona and have 2 initiatives.

To do the glitch, just switch Squall's junctions to someone not participating in the dream and then re-junction the GFs in the dream.  The character who got the switch during the change-over and the character in the dream who you junctioned the GFs to, will both have the GF Junctioned.
Hi everyone!

Finally decided to post something here Cheesy ( f**k me, I'm a leecher u.u ). My name is Stefano, i'm 28 and i'm from Italy. Actually learning FF8 route on PC(Steam) through Jester1610 video and the PDF notes posted before, i believe by Poxnor.

Shoutouts to Caracarn, his stream introduced me to FF speedrunning, worked a little on FF9 but now i'm focusing on FF8. Actually practicing Disc 1 searching for consistency (PLS no Fish fights with 0 fish fins =/ )

Most of you are at a higher level ... I hope I'll be able to contribute somehow, someday Cheesy

= Paoz =
Edit history:
Crocogoat: 2014-05-16 09:11:09 am
Crocogoat: 2014-05-16 09:10:24 am
Crocogoat: 2014-05-16 08:50:44 am
Quote from stealinbread:
Is getting cerberus worth it? Caracarn got it in his recent WR. What are the tradeoffs of getting cerberus vs not doing so?

To expand on the others I found in the past I could refine Wizard stones to stops for decent speed in tradeoff to losing the hastes, but the sorceress battle is just bad without 2 spd guys. I tried to get around it by having Irvine do shotgun/fire limit break etc. to kill 2 sorceress at once (lol) but it doesn't seem to work really. Skipping him saves you like 50 seconds but it seems you'll lose it for sure.

And the reason I stopped by: news on the front of "the code". VultuZ did a PC RTA run and somehow the code got messed up. I recreated what he did and I can confirm that what happened does happen. He messed up a bit and went
back on 2 screens, 1 before the escalator and in 2 screens further, and from proper testing it seems yeah this does mess it up but only because of the runback before getting on the escalator. This sort of confirms what FFgamer suspected in one of his streams a while back, that the code is set upon going on it. Some other rng is also set ahead of things, like the train (wich seems to be set before the briefing), the flying soldier (seems to be set before the speech) and other things.

So it's partially based on the amount of screens?? I'm not sure now anymore really, though I think it discounts steps at least and atb probably too.

(edit: checked and edited)

Here's the video: http://www.twitch.tv/vultuz/c/4255554

and Welcome Paoz!, I'm sure you'll learn to stop worrying and love the fish Tongue
The ID code is set during the screen transition on the escalator.

Each train code is set immediately before Rinoa calls it out.  However, nothing else uses that RNG (0562D4) at that point except the guard movement pattern, which just uses 1 number in each movement cycle.  Hence, loading a savestate at the briefing should give you the same codes each time, as long as you do the sequence quickly and don't enter the save point room before the train sequence. I imagine the same reasoning is true of the flying soldier.
check your pantry
Quote from Crocogoat:
Quote from stealinbread:
Is getting cerberus worth it? Caracarn got it in his recent WR. What are the tradeoffs of getting cerberus vs not doing so?

To expand on the others I found in the past I could refine Wizard stones to stops for decent speed in tradeoff to losing the hastes, but the sorceress battle is just bad without 2 spd guys. I tried to get around it by having Irvine do shotgun/fire limit break etc. to kill 2 sorceress at once (lol) but it doesn't seem to work really. Skipping him saves you like 50 seconds but it seems you'll lose it for sure.

And the reason I stopped by: news on the front of "the code". VultuZ did a PC RTA run and somehow the code got messed up. I recreated what he did and I can confirm that what happened does happen. He messed up a bit and went
back on 2 screens, 1 before the escalator and in 2 screens further, and from proper testing it seems yeah this does mess it up but only because of the runback before getting on the escalator. This sort of confirms what FFgamer suspected in one of his streams a while back, that the code is set upon going on it. Some other rng is also set ahead of things, like the train (wich seems to be set before the briefing), the flying soldier (seems to be set before the speech) and other things.

So it's partially based on the amount of screens?? I'm not sure now anymore really, though I think it discounts steps at least and atb probably too.

(edit: checked and edited)

Here's the video: http://www.twitch.tv/vultuz/c/4255554

and Welcome Paoz!, I'm sure you'll learn to stop worrying and love the fish Tongue

Once again, thanks! Smiley
Quote from Nitrodon:
The ID code is set during the screen transition on the escalator.

Each train code is set immediately before Rinoa calls it out.  However, nothing else uses that RNG (0562D4) at that point except the guard movement pattern, which just uses 1 number in each movement cycle.  Hence, loading a savestate at the briefing should give you the same codes each time, as long as you do the sequence quickly and don't enter the save point room before the train sequence. I imagine the same reasoning is true of the flying soldier.

Oh right, so I guess it's safe to say most of those are probably frame based or something, like cards and fins etc.
Thanks for the warm welcomes Smiley

Today I just finished a Disc 1 run. It's the first time milestone, since I just practiced segments up to Timber, this time I pushed a little longer, running segments i didn't practice. I ended with a 3h 14m run, really messing up in Galbadia.
I escaped Dollet in 48:13, which is my PB, perfect Granaldo/Diablos fight ... then 10x2 tries on Cards Sad Failed train job once for being greedy, then choked on the gunblade code in Galbadia.

Looking and streams/videos, I thought saving before taking the train to Galbadia Garden to Galbadia just set the code to 052 ... but the code was 084. The only thing I think that was different ... is that my SeeD rank was 3 and not 4 (or 5, doing the train-job right) ... is it connected ?

I guess I also messed up on my money management, since I had not enough money to hire a car in Galbadia ... so I lost really much time getting the new code Sad

I also need to check the notes I downloaded from Poxnor ... Shiva is supposed to learn Vit-J near the end of Disc 1 .... but I didn't read anything about it in the notes Smiley
Do you have a video of the run so I can see what went wrong.  Also Poxnor's route although very good was mainly used as a marathon safety route and a lot of that safety has been removed from the newer routes because the time saved is worth it in the long run for WR attempts.  Shiva learns I believe I Mag-RF, Boost, and Str-J. Then just goes to the wayside.
oh ok! I'll upload the video on youtube, since i forgot to check the "archive past broadcast" thing on twitch Cheesy
Also, i forgot to mention i saved there ... and forgot to reset right after Cheesy i reset like 1 minute and a half later Cheesy

Good to know on the route then Cheesy i'll check more notes Cheesy
Edit history:
Vultuz: 2014-05-27 03:53:19 am
I Had 084 as well in one of my runs.
Did you messed up the Movement on or before the Escalator in Delling-City? I Went 1 Screen back at the Train-Station and the Number changed to 084
Edit history:
Paoz: 2014-05-27 05:57:46 pm
Paoz: 2014-05-27 03:58:40 am
Quote from Vultuz:
I Had 084 as well in my run.
Did you messed up the Movement on or before the Escalator in Delling-City? I Went 1 Screen back at the Train-Station and the Number changed to 084

@ FFGamer86: i'll just re-stream today a better disc 1 and link the broadcast ^^ my upload sucks (and the Poxnor notes are the same you link in your FAQ on your stream Smiley )

@ Vultuz: looking at the video, seems i did it clean ... up the elevator, talk to Zell, left, left into Caraway's guard ... i just messed up some movements into the same screen, but did not cross to wrong screens, i guess :O

Edit: gave it a try today ... was going really nice (-6 minutes on my PB on Quistis Card) ... then 12 minutes Zell Card, got mad, lost focus, reset the run ... damn, 1:15:15 Quistis Card was nice Sad
Okay those are the newer notes then. Poxnor and I worked on them when I was at his house for C4L2013.  Poxnor had posted notes before that, that he used for SGDQ 2011/12. I thought you were using those.
Edit history:
Paoz: 2014-05-29 05:51:13 pm
Paoz: 2014-05-29 11:31:05 am
Tongue

http://www.twitch.tv/djpao86/b/533330564

Now we're talking about a good run !!! 2:58 Disc 1 Smiley YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY second try! I'm happy *__*
Here is a link to splits only image: https://scontent-a-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/q71/s720x720/10417819_10152461275033588_7826602477859359564_n.jpg

Things I improved:
- 052 code worked Cheesy YAY!
- Better & Faster Cards, with no draws

Things to do:
- Improve menuing/movements (but I guess this comes from practice)
- Cancel Animation by fake-escaping
- Do not press the wrong button for Irvine's limit break (lololololol) ... and also Zell's (vs Diablos)
- Start practicing Disc 2 Smiley
Edit history:
FFgamer86: 2014-05-29 11:23:47 pm
FFgamer86: 2014-05-29 11:23:45 pm
FFgamer86: 2014-05-29 11:23:40 pm
FFgamer86: 2014-05-29 11:14:57 pm
FFgamer86: 2014-05-29 11:14:53 pm
FFgamer86: 2014-05-29 11:14:11 pm
FFgamer86: 2014-05-29 11:13:03 pm
What are you running this on? 2:58 seems a little fast for ps2 slim. Its possible to get 2:58 but looking at your Quustis card split. It looks like you should have gotten around 3:10 on a ps2 slim. Also 13:00 Ifrit is like TAS luck. I think my best ever is 13:15 and that was amazing. Average is about 13:45-14:00

EDIT.  If this is the Steam version. I think the current record is 7:40ish and I am not sure how optimized that is. That run saves about an hour off the current ps2 time. If you do the math thats about 7 mins per hour of run. So a 3:05 disc 1 turns into a 2:44.
I'm considering doing a PC run just to see what the time difference actually is. I have no idea how the PC record compares in actual gameplay.
Edit history:
Paoz: 2014-05-30 03:00:52 am
Quote from FFgamer86:
What are you running this on? 2:58 seems a little fast for ps2 slim. Its possible to get 2:58 but looking at your Quustis card split. It looks like you should have gotten around 3:10 on a ps2 slim. Also 13:00 Ifrit is like TAS luck. I think my best ever is 13:15 and that was amazing. Average is about 13:45-14:00

EDIT.  If this is the Steam version. I think the current record is 7:40ish and I am not sure how optimized that is. That run saves about an hour off the current ps2 time. If you do the math thats about 7 mins per hour of run. So a 3:05 disc 1 turns into a 2:44.

I thought I already said i'm on PC/Steam :O (It's also clear in the stream and in the VoD, when i'm resetting for the code manipulation :P)

I'd never be able to go for such a good time on PS version on a second try Cheesy (it's just my second full disc 1 run)

ATM WR for PC version is 7:39:xx, with a 2:46 disc 1
Speaking of the steam version. Is there anyway to get 360 analog. Or are we stick with 8 directional.
Sadly, there is no support for analog in the Steam version, you can use it, but it will only work in 8 fixed directions.
Quote from FFgamer86:
Speaking of the steam version. Is there anyway to get 360 analog. Or are we stick with 8 directional.

Quote from ElbodYkso:
Sadly, there is no support for analog in the Steam version, you can use it, but it will only work in 8 fixed directions.

yeah, exactly ... Since I'm also playing on keyboard and not with a joypad, i'm still looking for an optimized keybind configuration. atm i'm heavy on numpad ... but i feel unable to escape AND sort battle inputs without crossing hands like an idiot Cheesy

I'll try to get a joypad asap, budget issues atm Smiley
As a record-lister can I get an opinion on various language runs etc.? In the past I've been putting them all down on the same category, but I'm thinking of dividing it. For now for this game it had been completed English and French runs but Italian joins the party soon I'm sure Cheesy

I know there is definitely an argument for running "the fastest" (wichever that is, don't think it's known), but at the same time it's a bit of a weird competition like it. I don't want anyone to feel at a disadvantage regardless of what language they run/ran/want to run. (talking about the 2 pc ones: http://finalfantasyspeedruns.wikidot.com/wiki:final-fantasy-viii)

Keep it up Paoz and go for it Caracarn Tongue
about the wiki, I really think there should only be one time listed per person for each category. Having 3 times per person seems to be too much clutter; just my opinion.
Edit history:
Crocogoat: 2014-05-31 12:52:55 am
Yeah I can appreciate that, tbh I didn't think about it. Some games or categories have not too much runners so maybe the pages would feel a bit empty, but I'll take it into consideration at least Smiley
PC Runs will be the fastest but wont be as good gameplay wise because of analog movement and cant do rinoa skip.
and don't forget slow boost and duel inputs :p
Edit history:
FFgamer86: 2014-05-31 01:35:05 pm
Yeah my duel is so bad on Steam version. Theres a few tricks on n the ps2 controller that dont work as well on steam.