Smiley
Sad
<- 1  -   of 21 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Ahh, I had the wrong end of the stick then.  I saw balance listed in the translated notes posted earlier in the thread and thought that was it.  For the belias trick was he running around the two critical guys keeping them between him and belias?
Don't know what to speedrun :(
This is the video if you have a Nico account: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12974044

I think I see how he does it now. Belias attacks Vaan first and after the second round of casts Belias starts his buff spell then Firaja sequence but they kill him before Firaja. He is a couple levels higher than I was at that point though so he could get away with it. That video isn't from the #1 time RTA'er.
Apologies if this was already mentioned in the thread, but if you want to manipulate a Cypress Pole from a chest prior to the Tiamat fight, there's one in the Simoon Bluff area of the Nam-Yensa Sandsea. There's a 60% chance the chest appears, 50% chance that it'll contain gil, and if it has an item, 50/50 odds it'll be either a Phoenix Down or the aforementioned Cypress Pole. Unfortunately it's at the verrrry end of the Nam-Yensa Sandsea, so you'd either have to do it at the end of a long running-through-the-desert segment right before fighting Garuda, or at the beginning of the next segment before entering the Tomb of Raithwall. More apologies if this would take longer than the detour in Rabanastre to do.
I did a test with the pole and it doesn't make enough of a difference to cover the time for the Rabanastre get and I'm not going to try it at the end of that long segment either to only save maybe 30 seconds. That's a good catch though One Lady.
Weegee Time
Quote from Youkai:
I hadn't thought about balance. I'll have to look into that but most of the damage is due to being critical and activating spellberaker which really ups your magic attack and then reflecting AOE spells off of your party. The problem with balance is my caster total HP is going to be relatively low for most of the run so I don't know that there is a place where that would do better damage than the 3 reflected AOE spells.

Well, there's some +HP nodes on the license grid and you now have some more points to play with.  Would those be reasonable to get to to boost balance output?  I'm not sure how much your triple reflect does by comparison.  There's also casting/animation time to consider, because it's the DPS and not the raw damage output that's important.
Edit history:
Salem: 2012-06-10 09:02:31 am
A point of interest, Balance works with reflect.  It's usually only good at low levels with the hp licenses (due to it only relying on magic power for the land rate, not the damage and the fact that it's non-elemental) and late late level to break the damage cap with bubble.  But you were hitting for around 600 anyways with aero in wraithwall which is about what you could get with balance in your set up so it probably doesn't matter.  Just something to think about
Ok guys. I need some help. I really can't figure out what the hell is going on. I was going through the game fine but then I got to Jelly chaining and got destroyed by the jellies. I think I need Shielded armor for my party there but there is no way I could afford either the Armor or the Licenses to equip them. The only things I have to go on are splits from the #1 RTA runner and videos of some of the boss fights from the #3 runner.

I have done a comparrison of my times through Tiamat with the #1 runners best times and it is as follows:
Code:
Checkpoint 		Him		Me
Dustia 1 end	 	0:29:50		0:31:11
Dustia 2 end	 	1:22:19		1:19:07
Garuda Defeat 		2:00:55		2:00:55
Defeat Tiberias 	2:11:27		2:12:46
Tear defeated Matt 	2:40:14		2:47:33

Looking at the #3 runners videos he appears to have more LP than I do by quite a bit and I can't figure out how he got them. I would love to duplicate his two Spellbreaker strategy but I can't figure out how he got all the LP needed.

This run is really turning out to be quite frustrating. I've had to scrap most or all of my run 3 times now due to finding out new things or getting to a point where I was stuck :/
Edit history:
Youkai: 2012-06-12 09:42:27 am
Youkai: 2012-06-10 11:32:25 pm
Ok looks like fenixkane found the video that explains how KY (the #3 runner) got all his LP early. Seems he does some Bagamnon farming; well Bagamnon's lackies anyway. This video at about 5:30 shows it: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm13176760

Guess I need to do that as well.

EDIT: Making some progress again. I had to go back a little farther again and re-do everything after the first Dustia farming. I split the time between Dustia's into a couple segments this time so I could get some good chest manipulation in. I was able to manipulate a lot more money out of it so I got 14 more Phoenix Down for the next round of Dustia which got me 2 extra levels.

My previous test of the LP farming at Ba'Gamnon didn't go so well but I did a test last night. Two more levels and a slightly better setup made it significantly better so I definitely think I can make it work now. The only issue will be making sure I don't accidentally kill one of the guys off.
Edit history:
Youkai: 2012-06-12 01:11:01 pm
Youkai: 2012-06-12 01:08:34 pm
Been doing a little more planning to see if it's possible to avoid going to Bujerba for money before Jelly farming. I think it is. Here is a list of everything I have planned to buy before Jelly farming.
Cherry Staff x2 1600
Reflect 800
Dark 500
Aero 1200
Chocobo 500
Chocobo 30
Shielded Armor x3 12000
Phoenix Down x2 500
Gold Needle x4 400
Gold Amulet 4500
Fira 3000
Black Belt x3 1800
Echo Herbs x5 250
Bronze Armor 700
Leather Shield 600

Longrin - optional 4500
Sleep - later 700
Oil - later 600
Protect 200
Water?? 800

Selling the treasure from my second Dustia segment brings me to 32853 gil and the total of all the purchases is 35,180. So I am going to have to not buy some things. I'm fairly certain I can wait on the spells in optional and the sword is just so the tank can have something to hit Tiamat with so I can replace that with a much cheaper weapon which should save enough gil to prevent Bujerba gil farming.

EDIT: I wonder if it might be worth it to do the bottle quests actually. They are worth 1000 each and there are 14 of them for a total of 14,000 gil. That is more than the gil you get from a Jelly farming session and the bottles would take 12-14 minutes to collect I estimate. A jelly farming session lasts 15-17 minutes. Since farming LP at Ba'Gamnon is faster than Jellies even with the amulet I wonder if it would be worth just doing early LP farming a little longer and skipping a Jelly session for the bottles. I remembered wrong a Yellow Liquid is 531 gil so a stack of 99 is 52k. Definitely not worth doing.
I'm glad to see you're still working on this run and steadily figuring out the strats. Smiley  Good luck, and I'll be happy to try and help if you'd like anything in particular translated.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6346480
KY translated this video by himself. yes, he knows this thread. you can see translations as green comment in above the video.
I'll take a look at it. Thanks 0xwas and KY Smiley
Edit history:
Youkai: 2012-06-12 10:46:53 pm
It seems even with the new strats I'm about 12 minutes behind KY at Bujerba. That is too much to be accounted for by the save penalty and a little extra Dustia leveling. I really need to figure out what the heck is going on before I continue.

0xwas if you have a way to contact KY could you please ask him if he has any notes he could give me? Even if they are in Japanese untranslated I would like them. Between Google Translate and my girlfriend (who speaks Japanese) I should be able to get some useful information from any notes he has. If you could PM them to me that would be fantastic.

EDIT: Ok I just watched the first hour of KY's run. It looks like I'm starting completely over from the beginning again. I see one thing he did that will definitely help. Hopefully I can get notes from the Japanese RTA runners to find some more stuff I'm doing wrong.
Not sure if you saw this already, but if you go to the bottom of this page with the 6:46 run splits (I guess not by KY, maybe by kuro?), there are links to a few pages with strategy explanations and notes.
Quote:
戦略解説とレポート

序盤
中盤
終盤
戦略メモ

戦略解説とレポート - strategy explanation and report
序盤 - beginning
中盤 - middle
終盤 - end
戦略メモ - strategy memo

The Japanese text on these pages are in Shift-JIS encoding, so you may have to do one of the following to view the text properly:
- In Firefox: Web Developer -> Character Encoding -> Japanese (Shift_JIS)
- In Chrome: wrench icon -> Tools -> Encoding -> Shift-JIS
Edit history:
Youkai: 2012-06-13 08:36:56 am
Youkai: 2012-06-13 08:29:34 am
Youkai: 2012-06-13 08:27:38 am
Yes yoshifan I knew that but unfortunately the last time I tried to decipher the google translate it wasn't really useful at all. I will take another stab at it though. Thank you. Also I believe those are notes from/on kuro since the splits are from him.

If anyone is curious I did a quick test last night. Loading time in a transition doesn't count against you so having "fast disc speed" enabled or not is irrelevant for SDA. The transition does cost you 2-3 seconds though in unplayable time added to the clock; I believe this time is the fade out/in animation.

From watching the first three videos of KY's run I did notice that having a turbo controller (illegal for SDA) is noticeably faster. He saved about 10 seconds in the first tutorial section by having turbo. I would estimate you save 3-5 minutes over the whole run by having a turbo controller. Granted that is just a guess.

EDIT: Notes from the 6:46 comments that I have been able to decipher.
*As far as I can tell I think he does skele farming in Barhiem before Mimic Queen like KY does.
*It seems like Kuro did 9 Dustia the first time and 52 the second time. So he is obviously taking the time to buy Phoenix Downs for the first hunt but I think he probably just sells whatever he has on him I had 14 with my chest/luck manipulation so I think I'll alter my route to not pick up any chest that isn't directly in my way. He does say that he keeps the leather armor to manipulate his HP.
*He gets three shielded armor for the Jelly hunting.
I was able to get in contact with Kuro (the #1 runner) and he gave me his notes for his RTA. It's over 1000 lines and in Japanese. He also noted that it has some differences from the current strategy so I'll need to keep that in mind. Still there should be a lot of good information in there. It looks like I have some translating to do.
My girlfriend is helping me translate Kuro's notes. We are a little over half way through. Nothing terribly interesting yet.

He does use Bio on the rooks in the Cid fight interestingly enough. If we read it right his strategy is to get 6 casts on a single rook using reflect. I wonder if that kills it right out.

Oh and he throws two Phoenix Down at Tiamat. One at the beginning, one at 50%. No idea why.
Could the pheonix downs thrown at Tiamat be to interupt one of its actions?  Been a while since I played and don't remember if Tiamat does anything special at those health percentages.
He doesn't do anything special right at the start so I don't know.

Another note though is that it seems from the notes that he is using Ruby Ring to have constant reflect on the casters and for some time at least is using an armor that grants reflect on Basch. This is later in the game but it would save time casting reflect. He switches a lot to put the golden amulets back on at the end of the fight though which has to cost some time.
From the notes attached to this video on nico- http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm16955683

My guess would be the phoenix downs are to maintain aggro on the tank creating a 70 point aggro difference between him and the rest of the party.  Do you think that might be it?
That sounds reasonable Salem. How does using Phoenix Down get aggro though? Guess I should figure that out.
There is a short description in english of some actions and their aggro rating attached to the video I linked .  If you send in the tank alone he'll get the aggro, then first action is worth 10 points in aggro on the person performing it, if that first action is a phoenix down you start 80 points up if I'm understanding the explanation correctly, I have not tested this myself though.
I don't think I had any issue keeping the aggro on the tank in my tests since I don't think you get aggro for reflected spells. I'll keep that in mind for when I get there though.
Edit history:
Youkai: 2012-06-16 10:48:45 am
Youkai: 2012-06-16 10:48:36 am
We finished the translation. I didn't write down everything just the pertinent notes. If you are curious or really want to be confused you can read what I wrote down. Some of the stuff in there I definitely won't be doing and some of it is interesting. A good thing to note is that I think most of the variation in the game is in the first hour. After you get through Bujerba it's just running through the storyline so hopefully I won't have any more issues that I have to go back and re-do segments for.

English
Skip
Press R3 to skip
Talk to basch
talk to soldier
open gate
after moving - menu
config
ignore first enemy
battle remora run in circles
skip
low on hp touch crystal
Kill rats in order of A C B
Getting the hunt
desert
rouge tomato
kites
lowtown
you can get 7 phoenix down from the treasure
get treasures
talk to mausa
get treasures
get treasures
talk to jinn
get treasures
get treasures
get treasures
take head armor off of vaan
remove all penelo
dalan
get phoenix downs
sell all but one potion
10 phoenix down
Dustia
dustia stuff
dustia stuff
storehouse #5
treasures
palace
waterway
vaan gambit leaders enemy fire
fran fire
fast battle speed
guards
fight manually as balthier
flan x3
fight the flans ashe isnt
gambits before firemane
Firemane fight
ashe is strongest
Nalbina
Balfonhiem passage
Gil from treasure on right
but hp 50% gambit, mage masher x2
Farming 33 license points for fran to get black magic
Touch crystal
kill 8 skeleton and steal
steal more kill skeletons
Kill for 31 chain
Gambit: Foe nearest visible - Phoenix Down
Buy at least 45 Phoenix Down - as many as you can
Rabanastre
Dustia
Kill Dustia 46 times
Pick up drops from chain level 1
Lowtown
Dalan
Bujerba
Keep 2 fire staff sell everything else
Buy Dark
Check the Gil
After dustia 2 you should have 20970 gil or more
You want about 8 phoenix down remaining if you don't add 2000 more gil
if you buy this it will be easier
if you buy this it will be easier
If you don't have money get it after Raithwalls tomb
Montblank if you need money
lhusu mines
I'm captain basch
Go to the bar
Skip 3
Ondore
Leviathan
Menu
Licenses
Vaan foe nearest dark
Basch party leader
Kill 2 judges
Use escape to group everyone
fastest battle speed
Basch attacks judge A and B
Save Ashe
Buy stuff - Reflect, Protect, don't know others
Vaan, Fran, Penelo
Remove Asche's gear
Ashe licenses - Accessories 4, BM2, WM3, Gambit(20), ??, magic power up, Sword, Staff
Penelo licenses - Staff 1, BM 1 2 3, TM 2 3, Arcane Magic 1, WM 2 3, Gambit(20), ??, Death magic power up
Gambits dark
Turn off gambits
Ghis
Vaan uses dark
Ghis strategy
Go to Ondore
Desert, turn gambits off
Basch as party member. Battle speed slow
Raithwalls tomb
Ally any reflect
Penelo dark
Ally any reflect
Penelo dark
Vaan, Ashe, Penelo
fastest battle speed
Bring penelo into low HP for near death magic
Reflect
Garuda turn gambits off before fight ends
Go to shop
Buy, Cherry Staff x2, Cypress pole x3, Echo Herbs x3, Alarm Clock, Aero
Sleep, Oil
Battle configuration
Demon Wall
Have vaan get attack target and then retreat
Belias map
Vaan, Ashe, Penelo
wait mode to fight vossler
Collect Elixer
Reflect up
Fight Belias
Vossler
Skip 5
If low on money go to clan
Chocobo to Jahara
Tocuh crystal at Jahara
Go to Eruyt
Buy Black Belt
Jahara
Get items from "Judge housen"
Menu stuff
Buy Shielded armor, Gold Pole x3, Bacchus wine x12, Infuse
Menu
Henne mines
Save crystal
Critital HP
Party only Basch
Tiamat Battle
Basch thows a phoenix feather at Tiamat at start
Throw another phoenix down at 50% HP
Breath attack between 20 and 40 percent. Take the attack alone
Turn gambits off before end
Eruyt
Run to Bur Omicase
Menu
Sell everything you don't need. Buy theifs cuffs, fira, and Phoenix Downs
Menu
Henne mines
Jelly farming
Eruyt
Jelly chaining again
Buy gold amulet x3, Phoenix Down you should have 15, High Potion should be 25
Cura, Confuse, Decoy, Thundara, Blizzara
Yellow liquid 95-99
Bur Omicase
Menu stuff
Buy Ice staff x2, Some headband
Chocobo
Stillshrine of Miriam
Ashe and Penelo critical and reflect
Vaan only
Menu
Before Vinuska
Menu
Basch, Ashe, Penelo
Vaan, thiefs cuffs
Thunder
fast battle speed
Decoy basch, reflect
Fight Vunuska, 2 turns
Vaan steals
After 6 thunder change outfit Crowncut?
before fight ends gambits off
Menu
Mateus
Once you get close to Mateus bring out Basch, Ashe, Penelo
Bur Omicase
Before leaving
Menu
Go outside Critical Ashe, Penelo
Decoy and reflect turn gambits on go back inside
Only Basch and config wait
Battle Bergan
steal and menu
Gold amulets, bring out attackers
Blizzard
Basch gets killed quick
Buy wizards hat and clothes x2
Nalbina
Mesophoran Highwaste
Salikawood
Phon Coast
Sell all old armor, thiefs cuffs, leave 5 levetation magic and 4 teleport stones?
Buy Reflect mail, Ruby ring x2, Echo herb, Gold Needle, Medicine, other medicine
Bio, Dispel, Death?
Chocobo
Get the hunt
Menu
NOTE: Reflect armor for the tank so you can take it off to re-cast decoy.
Critical magic casters for Mandragora
Sochen cave Palace
Battle Mandragora
Once it starts find a grouping of 3 and attack to acquire a target
Decoy Basch and then put him away
Reflect everyone and then run as Vaan
Ahriman
Get Elxier and elixer or hat
Archadia
Magic shop
Buy Aeroga
Does the quest in the starting and top map instead of the way I do it
Tsenoble
Touch crystal
Draclor lab
Menu
Gambit Bio
Gambit Bio
Burning half thing
Wait, fast battle speed
Reflect
Get six shots of bio on one rook. Position is important
Get close at the beginning
Cid attacks closest enemy so keep the tank close to him after decoy wears off
After equip cherry stick
Balfonhiem
Collect 5040 gil (how?)
Teleport Bur Omicase
Feywoon
Before Rafflasia
Menu
Aero stuff
Gritial magic
Rafflesia fight
Recovering causes lag so don't do it
Bring out casters if first attack is normal. Otherwise wait for the effect to bring them out
Menu
Ice staff and Ruby ring
Use Donmugu to fight the enemies
Belias to open door
Giruvegan
Menu
Battle Daedlus
Fran does confuse
Use Bio attack
Menu
Immobilize (Donmubu)
If you leave immobilize at the start you can warp back after pressing button
Menu
Tyrant fight
Ashe's (dispel gage?) should be at 2/3 when Vaan uses confuse
after that bring out attacker
Vaan continues running and using confuse
Menu
Big crystal
Float
Path notes
Menu
bash fran
Battle Shezamal
Bio
Balfonhiem
Ashe, Penelo have Fire staff and ruby ring
Sell at magic shop, 2 gold amulet, 2 ice staff, other stuff
Buy Firaga
Buy 10 X-Potions
At this point you should have 8930 gil left
Reddas place
Buy Indigo on the airship to Bujerba
Get on fastest plane to Rabanastre. In Nalbina buy Bubble
Ridorana
Menu
License Shezamel
Tocuh crystal to regain MP
Battle Hydro
He senses your life so only use Basch at start
Big fire pit
Chimera brain x3
Kill with Ashe and Penelo Firaga
Menu
Battle Pandemonium
Tank only gets close to Pandemonium
AOE can kill mages
At 50% he uses shell
If it is shell do dispel
Damage total within the numbers - Do another aero?
Menu
Kill Reddas
Bring out the don't move characters
After you go a good way you despawn 2 chimera brains
Kill 10 of the bridge things
Menu
Revive Reddas with the crystal
Battle Slyt
Use firaga to kill
Menu
Battle Fenrir
Sleep
Bio
Fenrir does some nasty move
After that every 3 Bio you do 1 sleep
Menu
Path of Knowledge
Black, Green, Red swithes
Battle Hashamel
If you get aero before he dose haste you are pretty much guaranteed to win
Menu
Penelo uses Bacchus wine (on who?)
Battle Gabranth
Battle Cid
Dispel
Ashe does Oil
Once Oil is on get close to Cid and turn gambits on.
Battle Cid + Famafrit
Dispel Famfrit
Oil of Famfrit
Basch uses Phoenix Down, Decoy
Battle Cid
Oil again
Balfonhiem
Sell stuff
Buy Phoenix Down, X Potions, Medicine of some kind
Menu
Touch the crystal before going to Bahamut
Battle Gabranth
Firaga
After the fight re-do the decoy
Battle Vayne
Vaan takes some attack on his own
Battle of Vayne Novus
Dispel
After a short wait Indego oil
Dispel, Indego oil again
Battle speed slowest?
Tank gets in Vayne's way of moving
Battle The Undying

EDIT: Some of these notes only make sense when they are next to the Japanese line in the spreadsheet.
Edit history:
Salem: 2012-06-16 12:14:57 pm
As to one of the questions in your translation: Spoiler-
The 5040gil is from a one time chest just outside balfonhiem next to Dyce and the chocobo rentals.  It is supposed to be a guaranteed spawn.

I hope this helps. Smiley