123 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Cut Games – Final Round

THE IMPORTANT BIT: The games still in can be found here

After way too many hours, we have come down to our final games list for ESA. We haven’t put it into a schedule format yet (that will come later). We had a window to fill with games and we’ve just about managed it. This games list is basically set, but there may be some fine-tuning depending on dropouts and so on.

We have listed the runner and category with the cut to make it easier for you to identify your runs. If your game and category is listed, but your name is not listed with it, then you are still in (see google doc above). We have tried to make it clear if we are only cutting one of the runners. We have not fully decided who is running the games in every instance. Please bear with us while we figure out which games we want as races.

For the sake of clarity, this post was written by flicky. The decisions were made by the ESA scheduling team - flicky, bangerra & joka.

If you have a question, comment or problem with a cut, please send a PM to this account and we will get back to you. We do get back to everyone. You can also type feedback and so on in here as this thread is entirely regarding this final cut. Please do not hesitate to talk to us about this. We will happily reconsider certain things if provided with constructive reasoning and so on.

Below you will find our reasoning for the cut games.

A Hat in Time – Noizeeh
Game is currently unfinished. We would’ve liked more time between release and the event.

Alone in the Dark - Any% - Bangerra
“It’s shit, whatever” – Bangerra, 2014

Asterix and Obelix - Any% – Alko
I personally watched some of this game and I think the downtime between the normal and action stages is just too long. It drags the game out and makes it more boring to watch.

Battlefield 2 - Any% – icedpingu
The game is rather generic and the run reflects that, unfortunately.

Costume Quest - Any% - etholon
Not very well known game. Would rather have some really polished other runs from you!

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos - 100% - Puppetmaster
We’d like to have an Any% Race of this, hopefully to kick off the marathon!

Dark Souls - All Bosses - Noobest
Going to go with Dark Souls 2 (probably original Any%) for the new factor.

Dear Esther - Any% - S
S loves walking simulators. Not this time S.

Deus Human Revolution (NOT DIRECTOR’S CUT) - Any/100% – Heinki, S
We’re going with Director’s Cut because Heinki is more active in that.
Diddy Kong Racing - 100% – MrsGizmaluke, DrZaph
We are suckers for a bitch slap. (we like any%)

Digimon World - Any% Glitched – Neviutz
After discussion with community and so on, we have cut this due to negative response.

Dishonored - Any% - Twiggimuz
Apologies, but we’re not sure we can compete with the SGDQ race they have.

Donald Duck: Quack Attack - Any% - Arzga
A touch too generic to make an entertaining run.

Electronic Super Joy - Any% – NikNeim
We didn’t receive any updates about progress for this and so cut it due to not knowing if it was up to standard.

Far Cry 2 - Any% – S
As you said yourself, not a hugely exciting run.

GTA 3 - Mission% - PeteThePlayer
We’re going with Any% as that’s where the main competition is.

GTA V - Classic % – KVD, MeridianPrime & j4sp3rr
While this would be a huge draw to the marathon, we can’t put it in in the games current state. Looking forward to next year though.

GTA: SA - Any% – EidGod
(Kappa)
We’re just cutting EidGod out of this the other runners are still in.

GTA: Vice City - 100% – S, justshanz
We can’t squeeze in 100% to the event, as cool as it is.

Half-Life 2: Episode 1 - Any% – S & Elgu
After talking with the community guys, they said that 1 would be a less interesting choice and we needed to cut time.

Hotline Miami - Any% – Seriphe
Spoke with the runner and we were only going to put the game in if the run was going to be incredibly clean.

Kingdom Hearts (Everything but KH2 Final Mix) - Various% – ThaRixer, Jinny, RoryExtraLife, SpikeVegeta, slyzer
Thanks to community discussion we went with the KH2 Final Mix by Bloodybizkitz. Thanks for the help.

Klonoa 2 - Any% – PeteThePlayer
We’re going with Sephinel’s run so that you can concentrate on Crash.

Mario Kart 64 - Any% – flippy_o
We’ve historically had a lot of Mario Kart at these events and so we have to inevitably cut something. We went with this due to the strength of the other runners in their respective games.

Mega Man III - Any% – Joka
Not enough space for this Mega Man

Mega Man X2 - Any% – Acefrog
Going to give this to Ajamar based on results.

Mega Man X3 - Low % – IrregularJinny
Too many Mega Mans already.

Mega Man Network Transmission - Any% – Crippe
All these Mega Mans.

Metroid - 100% – MitchFlowerPower
Going with Zero Mission.

Metroid Fusion - Any%/100% – DragonFangs, Chauzu
Going with Zero Mission.

Metroid Zero Mission - Any% – DragonFangs
Going with 100%

Oddworld: Abe’s Oddyssee - Any% – RoboSparkle
Point Blank 1/2/3
Didn’t get any updates regarding this game.

Portal 2 - Co-Op – S
Co op run submission, with no co-op partner.

Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters - Any% – SmartKin
As a spin off game it’s not as popular as the others so cutting it in favour of the original.

Rayman Origins - Any% & Co-op Glitch - Twyn
Going to go with the newer title (as cool as the co-op thing is, we’re not sure how the audience would respond to it)

Saint’s Row IV - Any% – Tyr
Runner requested 3.

Sanic 06 - Silver/Sonic – RoboSparkle
No updates regarding run.

Silver - Any% – TheGons
We just don’t like you. Kappa

Sly Cooper - Any% – YuKitty
Haven’t had updates regarding the run.

Spiderman 2 - Any% – CriminallyVulgar
While a cool game, it’s been reduced to relative obscurity now.

Super Mario 64 - 0/1 Star – Exe
After talking with runners, every one of them has agreed that 0 Star just won’t happen in a marathon. 1 Star has been seen before.

Super Mario 64 - 120 Star – Siglemic
Unknown runner. Not good enough PB. (this is a joke)

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 - Any% – MLSTRM & Pottoww
We have SM64 & SMS already and both of these runs are very long. We don’t feel like they’d be worthwhile keeping in with the other games.

Taz Express - Any% – Pottoww
Not a great game at all.

Teslagrad - Any% – lillbrorsan
Last we heard you hadn’t started playing yet and no updates since then.

The Wonderful 101Any%  - flicky
Long game, obscure and not practiced enough.

Trauma Center: Second Opinion - Any% – j4sp3rr
This game has an incredibly high standard set by the Japanese run.

Wild Guns - Co-Op – WERY
Co op game with no second player.

Yu-Gi-Oh: The Sacred Cards - Any% – BlackWin5
We were going to take a shot at having Yu-Gi-Oh in but we can’t quite make space for it this year.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Various% – SlaskPraskZeldaGamer98, Batch, Insomnia
While this may seem like a strange choice, we’d rather give some lesser known games a shot. OoT has had plenty of time in the spotlight and we think we need a break from it this year. Majora’s Mask is much more fitting for a European marathon due to who is attending.

Those are all the cuts left. There will be a livestream to discuss these cuts sometime in the near future.

Again, if you have complaints or questions, please PM this account. We are not too proud to change our minds given strong evidence but make sure you have a very strong case.

This was a massively complicated and difficult task and there will be cleaning up to do following this post. We apologise in advance for any fuckups that may cause problems, stress and so on.
Thread title:  
Where is Final Fantasy X? Isn't in the cuts or the final list.
nope
Get hype goddammit
HYPE HYPE HYPE
Also 270h in 1 week?
H-Y-P-E!!!!
Edit history:
Eidgod: 2014-04-20 02:03:59 pm
2 streams sape

also hype
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Quote from ESA:
Asterix and Obelix - Any% – Alko
I personally watched some of this game and I think the downtime between the normal and action stages is just too long. It drags the game out and makes it more boring to watch.

This is very likely just me being stupid, but what are the differences according to you between normal and action stages? All the stages are more or less the same to me … I must be missing something there?
Note I'm not asking you to reconsider the cut, I just want to fully understand the reason for the cut ^^
FrankerZ
#ESAHYPE

I will try to avenge VC by getting it into bonus but we will see.

Congrats to all who made it and commiserations to those who didn't
There seems to be a bit of confusion about the Vice City bingo.
The runners for this will be decided through preliminary races.
So technically also Eidgod isn't sure of a place (even though he has become the Eid'god' at GTA)

Also shame to see GTA 3 mission% go
DS Dictator
Quote:
Where is The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass? Isn't in the cuts or the final list.
Edit history:
KennyMan666: 2014-04-20 02:52:44 pm
KennyMan666: 2014-04-20 02:41:30 pm
Precursor
Quote from ESA:
Wild Guns - Co-Op – WERY
Co op game with no second player.

Second player was going to be me like last year, guess the info for that was never updated though. I'm still up for it, but not 100% positive this game really warrants repeating already.

Also, you have two Duo Princess entries on the list, one for me and one for Alko, but they're supposed to be the same entry, one co-op run with me and Alko. nvm I see how that works I think
:D
Hajp hajp!
Dog
The reasoning for cutting MK64 isn't accurate enough to me. Flippy_o has some really good commentary, and is an overall great player. The game isn't even that long.
The cake is a lie
Concerning my Leaf Me Alone submission :
I think putting an ETA of 20 mins would be more accurate. As this would happen in case of a widely overbad run, maybe you could even go around 15 minutes. Or did you just add extra time for setup purposes ?
I personally don't mind my game being cut. I will still go to ESA and enjoy the marathon. I am of course sad of being cut, but there's a lot of competition in being allowed to run.

However, with that being said, I would like to know the reason why it's cut based on a lot of Mario Karts being in the marathon the previous years, when Double Dash is the only that's been repeating itself. Are you trying to make a tradition out of Double Dash, since that game stays when Mario Kart 64 does not? I cannot see the logic in cutting new games for the marathon and favoring older games. I'd also like to ask why Double Dash is in, when it's just the same run as the past two years? The same category, estimate and everything.
Besides that, you've been focusing so much on cuts based on "this category is shorter", etc. - however, my skips run would certainly be shorter than the Double Dash run, and offer interesting glitches that, to my knowledge, Mario Kart: Double Dash does not offer a lot of, especially not nearly as gamebreaking glitches.

Final note, on what do you base me as a weaker runner all-round? Skips does not show a lot of skill in the game as a driver, which would be the no-skips. Skips offers a balance between driving and being able to pull off nearly frame-perfect glitches, and my personal best run (that is 3 minutes from wr) is not my best possible, as I told in the practice thread, I have been unable to do runs for half a month and therefore not improved my pb further yet (since skips is the least favored category in popularity, and I refrained from runs for a long time due to this)

In conclusion, I cannot force you to change your mind, but if you don't reconsider, I would like an elaborate response without a biased opinion on why my game is less favored than a game that has already been run two years in a row with the exact same category, offering nothing new for the marathon.
Edit history:
TheGons: 2014-04-20 04:56:26 pm
TheGons: 2014-04-20 04:36:15 pm
Quote from ESA:
Silver - Any% – TheGons

I consider this a declaration of war, my soldiers are waiting behind the doors of Metalon powering themselves up ready do fight. This may result in an incredible amount of bloodshed which on the other hand will make the stream more popular even if it clearly turns into an 18+ stream.

Be prepared for the event that nobody can ever forget when i enter the battlefield!
Hello my name is listed as "Ajamar" instead of "Ajarmar" on the final games list. Please fix this

Thank you
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Quote from TheGons:
Quote from ESA:
Silver - Any% – TheGons

I consider this a declaration of war, my soldiers are waiting behind the doors of Metalon powering themselfs up ready do fight. This may result in an incredible amount of bloodshed which on the other hand will make the stream more popular even if it clearly turns into an 18+ stream.

Be prepared for the event that nobody can ever forget when i enter the battlefield!

I'm fine with this as long as neither my tea nor my korvapuusti are harmed in any way. I'm volunteering to be a first-aider, as long as I can drink some of the victims' blood.

In all seriousness, though: I'm going to request that any reply to this thread below mine here be one of the following:
– arguing calmly why a decision about your game X (not: random other person's game Y) should be reconsidered;
– requesting more information about why decision Z was made, because it wasn't clear enough to you;
– requesting any (obvious) errors of the game choosing crew to be fixed (e.g. Ajarmar's name misspelt).

(Estimate reducing updates should happen in the practice thread, in case you're wondering why that's not on the list Wink )
I would like to point out that my SWAT4 any% submission is not on either cut list (this one or the first cut round from a few months ago), nor is it on the list of runs that are still in.
That's a pity.
Why was Trauma Center cut? "High standards" doesn't really cut it as an argument, IMO, unless J4sp3rr is a ton slower at the game than szsk. If he is at least close to szsk in terms of skill, the run will still be an extremely entertaining run to watch.

The same argument could be made for Sonic Adventure DX. It'll always be an amusing run if you haven't seen it before, however, I am not even close to Gamepro011 in terms of skill (he holds all of the contested IL records, for crying out loud) and my time isn't even close to Cjbqulix's world record (although granted, he does play on a faster version. My 39:20 was achieved on the steam release, while his 33:xx was achieved on the old 2001~ PC version, which saves a couple of minutes just in load times alone). It seems unfair to cut one game based on this criteria, and keep the other one in regardless of if it fits that criteria or not.
Edit history:
j4sp3rr: 2014-04-20 05:49:49 pm
j4sp3rr: 2014-04-20 05:44:55 pm
j4sp3rr: 2014-04-20 05:37:32 pm
Quote from Therio:
Why was Trauma Center cut? "High standards" doesn't really cut it as an argument, IMO, unless J4sp3rr is a ton slower at the game than szsk. If he is at least close to szsk in terms of skill, the run will still be an extremely entertaining run to watch.

The same argument could be made for Sonic Adventure DX. It'll always be an amusing run if you haven't seen it before, however, I am not even close to Gamepro011 in terms of skill (he holds all of the contested IL records, for crying out loud) and my time isn't even close to Cjbqulix's world record (although granted, he does play on a faster version. My 39:20 was achieved on the steam release, while his 33:xx was achieved on the old 2001~ PC version, which saves a couple of minutes just in load times alone). It seems unfair to cut one game based on this criteria, and keep the other one in regardless of if it fits that criteria or not.

Don't Worry about it Therio,

I am far from from good enough at the game, i'm quite a bit slower than szsk, trauma center is honestly the most fair out of all the cuts i got, but in any case i have no intention of attending ESA anymore at this point anyways, partially due to the reasons/arguments for some of the games that i got cut for, partially because it's just too damn expensive to go consider i've got no game to play there anymore. In any case thanks for standing up for me, but i am honestly probably way to slow to run that game well enough

Edit: i would have suggested to swap it out with trauma center New blood co-op, but honestly i guess i'll let that one slide too...
Edit history:
Heinki: 2014-04-21 04:21:30 am
Heinki: 2014-04-21 04:20:35 am
DX, DXHR, MGR, TRA, GTA SA
Hi there,

Absolute zero% is not 100%!!!!

It is a special condition where you beat the game like in any% only with
- No augmentation
- No weapons,
- No takedowns,
- 100% Ghost (not getting seen at all only bossfights are ok)
- Hardest difficulty (Give me deus ex)

I think that is very interesting to show because you do a lot of AI manipulation and you do the stages 100% stealth which most people did in their casual playthrough

About the thing of Human Revolution or Director's Cut :
It doesn't matter which one of those I run, I run both every day but i prefer the original one. Smiley

EDIT : If possible, I would like to show Human Revolution instead of Director's Cut, I could do The Missing link then separated from HR or not at all. Smiley

best wishes,
Heinki
Smörgåsbord
Hÿpe!
Edit history:
WERY: 2014-04-21 09:13:37 am
The Duce
Quote from KennyMan666:
Second player was going to be me like last year, guess the info for that was never updated though. I'm still up for it, but not 100% positive this game really warrants repeating already

Yes like KennyMan666 said, we were going to run this game. Nobody asked for further information on this run, when questions about additional information was made in the suggestionthread. Then I thought it was known already

I was only asked for a video of one of the other games, so I figured there was no further questions about my runs
For anyone who didnt get his game cut, make sure to start thinking about the FAQ. I am working with OtakuSRL to get faq.spd.rn.it reactivated for ESA, you will submit your FAQs there once the page is back up.