<- 1234567
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Amart: 2016-05-11 11:07:37 pm
^^ Glad to hear that you were working on a no damage speedrun at one point. Smiley  I just looked at The Abyss level, and I found a consistent way of beating the Battlelord without taking a hit.  When you enter the boss arena, hop / jetpack over the touchplate that causes the entrance door to close when triggered.  After the Battlelord spawns, wait by the lava until he gets your attention.  Once he gets your attention, run back to the preparation room and close the entrance door.  The Battlelord will follow you, but he won't be able to enter the room with you.  When you are in the preparation room, look for the green lit up textured floor directly in front of the entrance door.  Try to get as close to this green textured floor without actually standing on it.  If your gun lights up, then you gone too far.  If you are positioned correctly, you'll be able to fire rockets through the door (i.e. the projectile clipping glitch).  Keep firing your rocket launcher until the Battlelord is killed (should take about 25 or so rockets).  It's a bit of a cheap strat, but hey, at least it's a consistent strat. Smiley

If fall damage is allowed in a no damage run, then alternatively you could use a fall damage glitch to clip into that DM teleporter behind the Battlelord spawn point (you will be teleported back to the very beginning of the level).  Get the Battlelord's attention afterwards, teleport back to the beginning of the level, and then fire rockets through the teleporter.  But I think the only damage we should allow in a no damage run is inevitable damage (in the case of episode 1, only the fall damage taken at the beginning of Hollywood Holocaust should be allowed). 

And I appreciate the kind words! Smiley  I did put a little more effort into the Smithsonian Terror run than the Brown Water run, so I do think my Smithsonian Terror run will be more challenging to beat.  Even still, I'm sure both runs can be beaten by a few more seconds.  If you do decide to work on a DC episode speedrun, I'd be happy to watch it.

For a DC episode speedrun, the big question was: would it be beneficial to pick up the jetpack in Capitol Punishment?  In Caribbean, it's very evident that picking up the jetpack in Voodoo Caves would actually cost you time in both an IL and an episode speedrun, but it isn't so obvious whether or not picking up the jetpack in Capitol Punishment would save time.

Not long ago, I looked at some of the DC maps again.  As Silos911 mentioned before, it's possible to clip through the exit door in Capitol Punishment by using the fall damage glitch.  The only way to do this without a jetpack is to get an Assault Trooper to jetpack you up to a position high enough to where you can actually perform the fall damage glitch.  I tried this method several times, and when everything worked in my favor (i.e. the enemy RNG was good, and I didn't make any mistakes), I was able to complete Capitol Punishment in about 22-25 in-game seconds.  Of course, that's when everything went smoothly, but I wasn't so lucky in most cases. Smiley  And then I also tried the route that involves picking up the jetpack, and I was pulling off times close to 1:50.  So if you take the fall damage route, you can save about 85 in-game seconds in Capitol Punishment alone.  It is a substantial time save, but the jetpack can be very useful later on in the episode.

A jetpack won't come in very handy in Metro Mayhem and Brown Water, however.  But a jetpack will come in very handy in both Dread October and Nuke Proof.  In Dread October, you can clip through the exit door by using the fall damage glitch.  Unlike Capitol Punishment, a jetpack is required here since there are no Assault Commanders, Assault Troopers, and / or Octabrains around to assist you at giving you the height needed to perform the clip.  With a jetpack, Dread October can be completed in about 25 in-game seconds.  Without the jetpack, the level can be completed in about 1:40 (with a couple small ledge push clips).  That's about a 75 second time-save.  That means that at this point in the episode, using the Fall Damage route in Capitol Punishment could potentially save you a few more seconds.

Then comes Nuke Proof.  I was unable to find any substantial clips in Nuke Proof, but a big chunk of the level can be sequence broken with a jetpack.  I found that I was able to beat the level about 35 seconds faster with the jetpack than beating it sans jetpack.

Based on these numbers, I believe it's safe to say that it saves time to pick up the jetpack in Capitol Punishment.  Not only would it save time, but it would also be a lot safer than taking the Fall Damage route in Capitol Punishment.  And even if there are a couple minor warp glitches that I'm missing in Dread October, I doubt it will make up the time lost of omitting the jetpack.

Also, the steroids that can be picked up in Capitol Punishment are best used in Brown Water IMO.  With roids, you can easily clip through the blue keycard door.  Anyway, good luck to anyone who wants to try speedrunning the entire DC episode. 
Very cool, thanks Amart! Smiley  That's a very useful & thorough analysis...  I took some time out to study the levels again and adding the jetpack into the route for RTA definitely feels very worthwhile.  I definitely appreciate how much work you put into researching that! Smiley

Do you guys think I should add a "No Damage" tracker to pkDuke?  It shouldn't be difficult, but we'd need to decide on the exact rules for the category modifier.

I've been pretty busy with work, but I really wanna take some time and work on more pkDuke improvements...  I only just realized that Megaton is no longer for sale with the publishing rights having expired, so I definitely want to add the ability to install pkDuke from the original Atomic Edition & third-party expansion files (among other improvements)
Edit history:
Amart: 2016-05-20 05:19:19 pm
Amart: 2016-05-20 05:14:22 pm
No problem, pogokeen! Smiley  Going through the DC maps was a lot of fun, so I didn't mind the effort.

If it's feasible, then it would be awesome to see a "No Damage" tracker added to pkDuke! Smiley  In my previous post, I said that "inevitable" damage should be allowed.  However, I changed my mind.  If any form of damage is allowed, then it wouldn't make much sense to call it a "No Damage" speedrun IMO.  As much as I would like to see a "No Damage" speedrun of episode 1, I'd prefer to consider it impossible until someone can prove that Hollywood Holocaust can be beaten without taking any damage whatsoever.  I have a feeling it isn't possible, but you never know.  I didn't think getting into the DM spawn point in E1M2 would be possible until pogokeen told me about the "Extra Large Ledge Push" glitch.:)  But if most of you feel that the fall damage taken at the beginning of Hollywood Holocaust should be allowed in a "No Damage" speedrun, then I'm not completely against that idea.
Haha thanks, sounds good -- finding a way around it for E1L1 sounds like a good challenge! Smiley

I'll implement that feature for the next release along with a pacifism tracker.  It'll be easiest to implement it without exceptions first (and if it is decided we need exceptions, they can always be added later Smiley )
Edit history:
pogokeen: 2016-06-28 03:22:35 pm
Finished up the new 1.1 update for pkDuke3D! Smiley  You can find it here.

The new update includes the "No Damage" tracker, as well as a new more accurate game-time timer.  This new game-time timer is now the best timer for comparing pkDuke3D runs, as it is very consistent & not affected by lag or game update/render loop jitter (which is a concern with typical real-time methods).

Other improvements & bug fixes include:
+menu buffering doesn't stop any game updates from happening when the buffering is finished, so I reversed the timer stopping that was added in the previous update.  Note that this is not a complete fix, as it re-introduces non-buffering menu timing discrepancies between gameplay and demo playback detailed earlier.  With the addition of the game-time timer, this is not necessarily an issue any longer, and is more in-line with the original RTA timing methodologies.  Regardless, I am planning on implementing a new fix in version 1.2 that will be in-line with 1.0, for the sake of consistency.
+the pkDuke3D window can now be moved around when in windowed mode
+fixed bug where if you die in a level and restart, it tracked that level attempt in the previous categories met.
It should now only do this for proper progression (incl. death exits)
+shows current difficulty level on screen with level stats

Pacifism turned out to be a much more complicated category to track than first assumed, so rather than delay the 1.1 update, I pushed this feature back.  You can expect it in a future release Smiley

Please let me know if you find any issues or have any suggestions for future patches! Smiley
^Thanks for all the effort you put into pkDuke3D! Smiley  I'm really liking the mod.

I just did a couple 100S speedruns:

Now time for another break from Duke 3D! 
Quote from pogokeen:
Finished up the new 1.1 update for pkDuke3D! Smiley  You can find it here.

The new update includes the "No Damage" tracker, as well as a new more accurate game-time timer.  This new game-time timer is now the best timer for comparing pkDuke3D runs, as it is very consistent & not affected by lag or game update/render loop jitter (which is a concern with typical real-time methods).

Other improvements & bug fixes include:
+menu buffering doesn't stop any game updates from happening when the buffering is finished, so I reversed the timer stopping that was added in the previous update.  Note that this is not a complete fix, as it re-introduces non-buffering menu timing discrepancies between gameplay and demo playback detailed earlier.  With the addition of the game-time timer, this is not necessarily an issue any longer, and is more in-line with the original RTA timing methodologies.  Regardless, I am planning on implementing a new fix in version 1.2 that will be in-line with 1.0, for the sake of consistency.
+the pkDuke3D window can now be moved around when in windowed mode
+fixed bug where if you die in a level and restart, it tracked that level attempt in the previous categories met.
It should now only do this for proper progression (incl. death exits)
+shows current difficulty level on screen with level stats

Pacifism turned out to be a much more complicated category to track than first assumed, so rather than delay the 1.1 update, I pushed this feature back.  You can expect it in a future release Smiley

Please let me know if you find any issues or have any suggestions for future patches! Smiley

This is remarkable Pogokeen, thank you so much for all the time you poured into this.

Quote from Amart:
^Thanks for all the effort you put into pkDuke3D! Smiley  I'm really liking the mod.

I just did a couple 100S speedruns:

Now time for another break from Duke 3D! 

Holy smokes that Caribbean run was phenomenal. Seriously, your expansion runs always blow me away and this one in particular was insane.

Your 100s run was also amazing. I've never seen the clip you use in the hallway after the fire pit secret in The Abyss (E1L5), or the clip you used in Space Port (E2L1) to get to the shrink ray. Just the smoothness of the run in general was phenomenal, I can't believe you kept up such a high standard throughout the entire run.

Also, I appreciate the shoutout in the description, thank you very much it was a pleasant surprise.
DS Dictator

A new 2016 build engine version of Duke Nukem 3D is coming out October 11th.
Episode 5: 8 new levels and new voice clips in compressed 1996 style from what I've heard during the discussion before the trailer.

Fingers cross it uses the 2013 Megaton revision mechanics that allowed new skips like E1L2.
Too bad it won't have the expansion episodes, if that trailer is anything to go by. Which wouldn't be a problem, if they didn't take down megaton edition and never bring it back. Seriously, that was the best official duke3d collection i know of, and they just killed it. I'm glad I got it before the axe came down.
I can't say that I'm extremely excited as this is like the millionth time Duke Nukem 3D got a re-release, but I am looking forward to trying out that new episode.  Glad to hear that Allen Blum, Levelord, Lee Jackson and Jon St. John are involved.  I'm sure the new Duke one liners will be good, and the new episode will be a lot of fun to play.  Now if only we can get a Duke Nukem 5 announcement sometime.

Looking at this video, I noticed the rewind feature is in it.  The rewind feature was in the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, so perhaps World Tour will play like those versions.  I also noticed that Duke loses horizontal speed when he hits the ground from a long fall, so I'm afraid the mechanics aren't going to be the same as the Megaton Edition.

Quote from DrJordo:
Too bad it won't have the expansion episodes, if that trailer is anything to go by. Which wouldn't be a problem, if they didn't take down megaton edition and never bring it back. Seriously, that was the best official duke3d collection i know of, and they just killed it. I'm glad I got it before the axe came down.

I understand where you are coming from.  It's unfortunate for those who didn't buy the Megaton Edition when it was still available.  Megaton Edition made it extremely easy to play the expansion episodes (i.e. DC, Life's a Beach, and Nuclear Winter), and I felt the Megaton Edition was the best version to date for RTA / IL speedruns.  Hopefully Megaton Edition makes a comeback, but I don't think it's in Gearbox's interest to bring it back.

Quote from Silos911:

Holy smokes that Caribbean run was phenomenal. Seriously, your expansion runs always blow me away and this one in particular was insane.

Your 100s run was also amazing. I've never seen the clip you use in the hallway after the fire pit secret in The Abyss (E1L5), or the clip you used in Space Port (E2L1) to get to the shrink ray. Just the smoothness of the run in general was phenomenal, I can't believe you kept up such a high standard throughout the entire run.

Also, I appreciate the shoutout in the description, thank you very much it was a pleasant surprise.

Thanks for the kind words.  The Alien Remains was the only Caribbean level I had left to route for a 100S speedrun.  Whenever I'm working on a 100S run on a map with a boss in it, I try to think of any secret areas I can attain right after killing the boss.  I initially didn't think the strat used at the end would work, but I found you'll have enough time to grab that final secret if you open the two teleporter doors.  The dash at the end isn't difficult, but I can imagine using that strat being nerve-wracking in a 100S RTA speedrun. Smiley

I'm glad you liked the 100S RTA run.  The Abyss clip you mentioned happened to be found by me (although Dysitis was the first to use it in a speedrun).  There were a few other clips I had found in The Abyss, but a couple of them (they can be seen in my Xbox speedrun) aren't applicable in the Megaton Edition due to the "fall damage" clip.  However, I could have easily used the warp glitch at the top of the alien ship right after picking up the 6th secret, and it would have saved me about a second.  Not sure why I didn't use it in my RTA speedrun.

Speaking of time-savers, if anybody could find a huge time-save in Warp Factor, that would be terrific.  I've spent many hours looking for a faster way to beat Warp Factor, but to no avail.  There is a strat I used on the Xbox that involves glitching out of the map, but it only saves a couple seconds.
Edit history:
Silos911: 2016-09-05 11:33:41 pm
Quote from DrJordo:

Yeah, I noticed that when the announcement came up as well. Megaton Edition was the easiest way to play the three main expansions (plus Duke Zone 2 if you wanted to play it), it's a shame it's gone especially in the case of a community like this one where Megaton Edition was one of the best things that could happen for us.

Quote from Amart:
I can't say that I'm extremely excited as this is like the millionth time Duke Nukem 3D got a re-release, but I am looking forward to trying out that new episode.  Glad to hear that Allen Blum, Levelord, Lee Jackson and Jon St. John are involved.  I'm sure the new Duke one liners will be good, and the new episode will be a lot of fun to play.  Now if only we can get a Duke Nukem 5 announcement sometime.

Looking at this video, I noticed the rewind feature is in it.  The rewind feature was in the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, so perhaps World Tour will play like those versions.  I also noticed that Duke loses horizontal speed when he hits the ground from a long fall, so I'm afraid the mechanics aren't going to be the same as the Megaton Edition.

Quote from DrJordo:

I understand where you are coming from.  It's unfortunate for those who didn't buy the Megaton Edition when it was still available.  Megaton Edition made it extremely easy to play the expansion episodes (i.e. DC, Life's a Beach, and Nuclear Winter), and I felt the Megaton Edition was the best version to date for RTA / IL speedruns.  Hopefully Megaton Edition makes a comeback, but I don't think it's in Gearbox's interest to bring it back.

I'm with you. I'll definitely buy and play this new version, and I think episode 5 will be really fun. But it's a shame this couldn't be another add-on for Megaton Edition, I would prefer paying $20 and just having it added to Megaton then pay $20 to have another version of Duke Nukem 3D. Having the rewind feature will be nice, but I remember the developers of Megaton Edition held a poll once and adding that feature to Megaton Edition was one of the features they were hoping to add, so it may have made it's way into Megaton Edition at some point anyway.

I also agree with Megaton Edition being the best for RTA/IL runs. I'm sure I'm at least a bit biased for Megaton Edition since it's the once I poured the most time in and the game that I actually got decent times in, but the game was wonderful for finally allowing runs outside of episodes 1-3 and 1-4. And don't even get me started on pkDuke and how much that helped everything.

I always thought it would be awesome to do either a full game run of Megaton Edition with all of the expansions, or even a new version of Duke Done Quicker where all of the expansions are touched on as well. If episode 5 was to be included in that though, now we would be jumping between two different versions that only have specific tricks working on each. However, in either pkDuke or Steam (or potentially both), there is the ability to load a grp file of your choosing. If episode 5 is a grp file, we may be able to rip it and put it in Megaton Edition anyway, certain things may not transition like the flamethrower, but maybe it would be possible that it could run?
EDIT: I was just reading up on World Tour again and I realized they have a new enemy type as well, I doubt that'll run after all.

Quote from Amart:
Speaking of time-savers, if anybody could find a huge time-save in Warp Factor, that would be terrific.  I've spent many hours looking for a faster way to beat Warp Factor, but to no avail.  There is a strat I used on the Xbox that involves glitching out of the map, but it only saves a couple seconds.

I remember watching Warp Factor and thinking there had to be a better way and after walking around in the level for a few hours I gave up. I returned to it tonight and still had no luck. The only possible solutions I could come up with is either clip through the yellow key doors twice (have to go through two doors to get into the room, then the same two doors to get back), or find a way into the multiplayer portal, which is a connection between the room with the secrets and the room with the yellow key card. Sadly I didn't come close to making either of them a reality.
Just wanted to make a quick post -- I made a Duke 3D Speedrunning Discord in case anyone is interested in talking Duke 3D stuff Smiley  You can find it here: https://discord.gg/jf7jJRu