Smiley
Sad
<- 1234567 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Totally, I'm excited too, it's looking really good! Smiley  Looking forward to working on it more and getting some runs in soon Smiley  Thanks again; it was really nice working on and talking Duke with you today! Smiley
Hello,

i just wanted to say "hi". I saw this year AGDQ and really loved it.
The only game that came into question for me was Duke Nukem 3D (i know it may change). So I started running this game .
After a lot of training my PB was 15:12 min. After a long break i finally managed to improve my PB to 13:45 min. Now I have
to learn to use SR50 (really hard for me) and the door skips throughout the game. But i was suprised how much SR50 makes
Occupied Territory easier (the beginning). Darkside skip seems impossible to me. Wink

Thanks to Softman as I couldnt have done without your tutorial video. thumbsup Unfortunately, the video is no longer online.
For me its not important anymore, but the game is so fast its hard for starters to recognize what really happens.

Not special but i post my run here anyway. It will get better.

Yeah, deleted the video along with all my other videos by mistake...I'll link the Twitch highlight though:

http://www.twitch.tv/softman25/c/5061358

I'll edit the speedrun wiki entry some other time...it's 2am right now, so bugger it. Tongue
Edit history:
Amart: 2015-08-22 01:59:29 am
Awesome work, OmaWilkes!  It's always nice to see new people interested in speedrunning this game.  Keep up the good work. Smiley

As for me, I just started working on a full episode speedrun of the Life's a Beach episode, and this is what I have so far:

Pretty sloppy run, but it should serve as a point of reference.  It would be nice to see other people speedrun this episode.

And in case anyone is interested, I made a few IL PS3 speedruns (these are similar to the Xbox 360 speedruns):
Caribbean Catastrophe 100% Run
Market Melee 100% Run
Lost Lagoon 100% Run
100S is down to 27:01.57
so close Sad
Quote from Amart:
Awesome work, OmaWilkes!  It's always nice to see new people interested in speedrunning this game.  Keep up the good work. Smiley

As for me, I just started working on a full episode speedrun of the Life's a Beach episode, and this is what I have so far:

Pretty sloppy run, but it should serve as a point of reference.  It would be nice to see other people speedrun this episode.

And in case anyone is interested, I made a few IL PS3 speedruns (these are similar to the Xbox 360 speedruns):
Caribbean Catastrophe 100% Run
Market Melee 100% Run
Lost Lagoon 100% Run

That's a great run! I did a few runs of Caribbean myself, but nothing like that (I think my time was 20-something minutes real-time). I've never seen a lot of those skips before, did you find them yourself?
Edit history:
Amart: 2015-11-08 03:50:57 pm
Quote from DrJordo:
That's a great run! I did a few runs of Caribbean myself, but nothing like that (I think my time was 20-something minutes real-time). I've never seen a lot of those skips before, did you find them yourself?

Thanks, DrJordo! Smiley  Nice job on your speedruns as well.  I did see your Nuclear Winter episode speedrun a couple months back, and I thought it was really good.  Keep up the excellent work! 

At the time of making my 7:20 Caribbean speedrun, Fernito was the only other person I was aware of that speedran this episode (I think Cubeface at one point was routing the LAB episode, but he didn't record any runs).  There are a couple clips I learned from watching Fernito's Caribbean IL speedruns (like the clip out of the prison cell in Market Melee), but most of the skips used in this run were found on my own.  But I didn't find them all in a short span of time... I started playing LAB back in January, and I just barely found out about the acute glide clip in Voodoo Caves in late August!  Pogokeen did help me with the Caribbean Catastrophe 100% PS3 route! Smiley

Anybody working on the DC episode? Smiley
Quote from Amart:
Quote from DrJordo:

Thanks, DrJordo! Smiley  Nice job on your speedruns as well.  I did see your Nuclear Winter episode speedrun a couple months back, and I thought it was really good.  Keep up the excellent work! 

At the time of making my 7:20 Caribbean speedrun, Fernito was the only other person I was aware of that speedran this episode (I think Cubeface at one point was routing the LAB episode, but he didn't record any runs).  There are a couple clips I learned from watching Fernito's Caribbean IL speedruns (like the clip out of the prison cell in Market Melee), but most of the skips used in this run were found on my own.  But I didn't find them all in a short span of time... I started playing LAB back in January, and I just barely found out about the acute glide clip in Voodoo Caves in late August!  Pogokeen did help me with the Caribbean Catastrophe 100% PS3 route! Smiley

Anybody working on the DC episode? Smiley

Kind of me. I haven't done anything with it for awhile. I was mostly doing IL runs, but I've learned a few things that could work in a full episode run, I've just been really lazy and haven't uploaded anything. Specifically, I have a faster route for the Smithsonian level, but that's about it other than Nuked Files. The first two levels I just used Fernito's routes.
Edit history:
pogokeen: 2015-11-23 01:13:21 pm
pogokeen: 2015-11-23 09:00:35 am
Quote from Silos911:
Kind of me. I haven't done anything with it for awhile. I was mostly doing IL runs, but I've learned a few things that could work in a full episode run, I've just been really lazy and haven't uploaded anything. Specifically, I have a faster route for the Smithsonian level, but that's about it other than Nuked Files. The first two levels I just used Fernito's routes.

I saw Silos' routes earlier & they're really sick!  Really excited to see you work more on DC! Smiley

I just added a section to the Game Mechanics and Glitches page on the Knowledge Base Wiki for Extra Large Ledge Pushes.  I also made a glitch map/challenge map for testing the Extra Large Ledge Push out; you can also find that on the wiki.

Going to take some time now and ensure the wiki is up to date with the latest glitch/mechanics info...  I've written down a lot of notes for things that should be on there that I know haven't made it there yet.

Edit:  Awesome, just finished updating the Mechanics & Glitches section of the wiki with a bunch of new stuff!
Hey everybody,

I made a quick update video on the work I've been doing on pkDuke3D, mainly to ask you all a question about how I should implement the single-segment/multi-segment timer.

Currently, I've got the single-segment/multi-segment real time timer setup to track only the in-level time, and disregard intermission time, level loading time, and between episode menuing time.

I've also currently got it setup to continue running when the game is paused, but there is an issue with this, as Duke demos currently support replicating pausing with the "Pause" key, but not pausing with menus.  Because of this, timing between demo playback and gameplay can be different if someone pauses by using a menu.

I wanted to ask how you guys think I should approach the timing -- do you think I should replicate the menu pausing stuff in the demo?  Or do you think I should stop the timer when a player is paused?

Further, to double check, does my approach of ignoring intermission time, level load time, and episode switching time sound alright?

If you guys have any suggestions about this or additional features, please let me know! Smiley
Quote from pogokeen:
Hey everybody,

I made a quick update video on the work I've been doing on pkDuke3D, mainly to ask you all a question about how I should implement the single-segment/multi-segment timer.

Currently, I've got the single-segment/multi-segment real time timer setup to track only the in-level time, and disregard intermission time, level loading time, and between episode menuing time.

I've also currently got it setup to continue running when the game is paused, but there is an issue with this, as Duke demos currently support replicating pausing with the "Pause" key, but not pausing with menus.  Because of this, timing between demo playback and gameplay can be different if someone pauses by using a menu.

I wanted to ask how you guys think I should approach the timing -- do you think I should replicate the menu pausing stuff in the demo?  Or do you think I should stop the timer when a player is paused?

Further, to double check, does my approach of ignoring intermission time, level load time, and episode switching time sound alright?

If you guys have any suggestions about this or additional features, please let me know! Smiley

I think I've said this before, and if not allow me to say it now, this is the coolest thing to me that you did this. Whenever you tell me about a new feature you've added I think it's really incredible. Great job as always.

As for your question about replicating menu pausing or just stopping the timer, assuming I'm understanding correctly, I think we need to revisit if we should just use the in game timer from now on. I feel like Dave brought up the idea a while ago, but I could be mistaken. I used to be against it due to timing being a pain, but with pkDuke3D that isn't really an excuse anymore.

If we switch to in game time, we can ignore intermission, level load time, and episode switching, just like you already have it. In this case, stopping the timer when the game is paused would make sense as well. Since the inbetween level stuff is the most boring part of runs (and thankfully the smallest part of the run), I don't think excluding that from timing is a big deal.

This is assuming I'm actually understanding what you're saying, and not sounding stupid right now. Even if I am understanding properly, I'm kind of irrelevant in single segment runs right now so I don't know if my opinion should hold much water if most others disagree with me.

I've been meaning to ask as well, does pkDuke3D fix the issue of the in game timer running fast?
Edit history:
pogokeen: 2015-12-13 11:24:43 pm
Thanks Silos, that means a lot! Cheesy

Quote from Silos911:
As for your question about replicating menu pausing or just stopping the timer, assuming I'm understanding correctly, I think we need to revisit if we should just use the in game timer from now on. I feel like Dave brought up the idea a while ago, but I could be mistaken. I used to be against it due to timing being a pain, but with pkDuke3D that isn't really an excuse anymore.

If we switch to in game time, we can ignore intermission, level load time, and episode switching, just like you already have it. In this case, stopping the timer when the game is paused would make sense as well. Since the inbetween level stuff is the most boring part of runs (and thankfully the smallest part of the run), I don't think excluding that from timing is a big deal.

This is assuming I'm actually understanding what you're saying, and not sounding stupid right now. Even if I am understanding properly, I'm kind of irrelevant in single segment runs right now so I don't know if my opinion should hold much water if most others disagree with me.

It sounds to me like you completely understand what I was trying to say Smiley  Haha sorry, I don't think I explained it very well (I should've taken some extra time and made some example demos in the video to better show what I was talking about!)

Mm, I agree -- now that the timing can be automated for us, we've got a lot more freedom to time however we feel best represents what matters in a run.  For me, seeing people lose time to the intermission skip especially seems a little unfair (as the chance of getting those skips appear to be linked at least in part to the game's fps, so there might be advantages to those with faster hardware with RTA timing).

(Edit: further, this would mean that the Duke Talk setting would not grant extra time save, which is nice for those who love to hear Duke Talk Smiley )

Whatever our decision for single-segment/multi-segment timing, the original RTA timing will likely live on separately.  I hope that what we decide will be a popular & relevant choice though -- it would be nice if we could set a good standard.  I imagine RTA timing will still be relevant for comparison with older runs or runs on different versions of Duke3D.

Quote from Silos911:
I've been meaning to ask as well, does pkDuke3D fix the issue of the in game timer running fast?

My approach so far has been to keep the fast in-game timers for backwards compatibility (they are shown as the IL time and Total Time timers) and separately track accurate real time (with the Real Time timer).  It might make sense for me to even separate that further with a Real IL Time vs. Real Total Time, in case someone has a really nice level time in the middle of a single-segment/multi-segment run.  The idea was that the old timers could allow for quick comparison against runs from versions of Duke3D that don't support real time timing.

All this stuff can change too based on suggestions & feedback! Smiley

One thing I've also been thinking about lately is ensuring that the in-game real-time timer matches our existing IL timing method.  It seems like the natural way to do it (esp. for ILs, and could be carried over into single-segment/multi-segment timing).  Currently, ILs for Nuke Button levels are manually timed up until the frame when the Nuke button is fully open (when Duke's weapon disappears & his fist appears).  In my current build, this hasn't been reflected in the real-time timer, but my immediate thought is that this should be rectified.
Nice Work!

I think the time should stop. Faster hardware is a advantage ingame but i think it is good to minimize it overall. And i am a person who would turn on Duke Talk again Wink Also the gameplay is the
really important part of a speedrun, and it should decide how good a runner is. I dont think that in a short game like Duke a long break should be part of a run, but i also would like to take a breath stop for a second.

If the in-game real-time timer matches the IL timing would be really great.
Awesome, thanks OmaWilkes! Cheesy

Cool, that sounds good Smiley  I'll definitely make sure the real-time timer matches the IL timing then! Smiley

It seems like we've got a very good consensus going between everyone who's responded to the timing questions (here on SDA and on other channels), which is nice Smiley  (as an aside though, if anyone does have reservations or other opinions, please feel free to share those as well! Smiley )
I don't know if anyone still cares about the Vita stuff, but here's each level of episode one.

I released the new version (1.0) of pkDuke3D a couple days ago.

New in this version is:
+Single-Segment and Multi-Segment demo recording
+a lot of new timers that are in-line with our existing timing rules (no more fiddling with frame counting)
+fixes to the kill counter so that 100% and Max% are no longer impossible to run on certain levels
+a variety of new stats to help runners track what categories their run applies for
+Additional dmo niceties -- level music is played back in demo playback mode, and demo stats are shown after the end of a demo in this mode

I meant to have an update video out earlier -- I'll still try to put one together to talk about the changes in detail and discuss some ideas for future improvements.  Let me know if you guys have any suggestions or run into any issues with this version of pkDuke3D!  Some future improvements I'm going to be working on include adding SDL2 support, in-game demo start/stop, and LiveSplit integration (and hopefully sooner than later, re-integrating multiplayer) Smiley
Edit history:
DrJordo: 2016-02-05 01:35:01 am
DrJordo: 2016-02-05 01:16:46 am
DrJordo: 2016-02-05 01:06:44 am
When I tried to run pkDuke3D, I got an error that says "failed to load TABLES.DAT!". I found that file in gameroot/classic. I put a copy of it in bin, where pkDuke3D is (not gameroot, like the readme says), but now when i run it, nothing happens, except that my mouse pointer moves to the upper-left part of my screen. I think the program is crashing instantly, but it's not giving me any error that says why.

EDIT: nevermind, i get it now. I'm supposed to use the .bat files.
EDIT2: actually, using the command prompt .bat brings up the same issue I had before. the other .bat works fine, though.
EDIT3: I think i finally fixed it. I just copied pkduke3D.exe over to the gameroot folder. It seems to work now. I do have one question though: how do I get the expansion pack episodes running?
Sorry about that!  That is definitely something I need to improve for the next version...  Currently, as with the Megaton Edition, pkDuke3D requires you to run it from the gameroot directory -- it always looks in the current working directory for the game data files.  For the .bat that brings up the command-prompt, you would have to run:
..\bin\pkDuke3D.exe
for it to launch properly (if you cd out of gameroot, it won't find tables.dat).

Thankfully, Windows shortcuts and Steam shortcuts can be set to Start In a directory -- if you're setting up a shortcut, setting Start In to the gameroot folder will avoid this issue.

Copying the exe files to gameroot should be fine as well! Smiley

To run an addon, you need to provide an additional command-line switch.
For D.C.:
..\bin\pkDuke3D.exe -addon 1
For Nuclear Winter:
..\bin\pkDuke3D.exe -addon 2
For Caribbean:
..\bin\pkDuke3D.exe -addon 3
These switches can also be added to the end of the Target line in shortcuts.

Hopefully that helps, and hopefully pkDuke3D won't give you anymore trouble!  Let me know if you run into any further issues, and I'll be happy to help! Smiley
Thanks for the help! I have one more question: when I'm playing back demos I've made, sometimes the camera will temporarily go into some kind of third-person mode for a few seconds. It always seems to happen in the same places. What could be causing this, and can I prevent it from happening?
No problem! Smiley

That's caused by the demo cameras that exist in the level -- when recording a demo, you can see them floating around in certain areas.  To disable them for demo playback and/or demo recording, use the /k parameter.
Ex. for demo playback, you could use:
..\bin\pkDuke3D.exe /k /dDEMO1.DMO
Note that without /d[dmoFileName], you won't be in demo playback mode (just normal game mode, which also plays demos on the menu).  In demo playback mode, normal level music will play during the demo loop and you'll get extra stats after each demo.
For anyone interested in 100s, I came up with a new route for Death Row.

It looks like you'd add time to Toxic Dump due to using the Steroids in the latter half of that route in RTA.
Death Row in the current WR is 1:44 though, there it's 1:09.

I'll have to experiment and see, there's some stuff I never knew existed anyways (Steroids in E3L10, small clip in E2L3) that I need to incorporate into the route.
The E2L3 clip isn't proving very consistent, and it'd only save about 2-3 seconds, so idk.
Edit history:
Amart: 2016-07-12 04:03:07 am
Amart: 2016-04-12 01:00:40 pm
Amart: 2016-02-23 06:46:08 pm
Nice job on getting sub 27 minutes! Smiley  I just seen parts of your 100S speedrun, and one very useful clip that you are still missing in Hotel Hell is this one.  Very easy to pull off with steroids. 

In regards to Death Row, I'm pretty sure it'd be faster to use Silos911's Death Row route in an RTA speedrun.  It's true that you won't start Toxic Dump with steroids, but you'd only be able to save about 7.6 - 7.7 in game seconds (roughly 6.6 seconds in real-time) if you saved the steroids for Toxic Dump instead since a full set of steroids lasts approximately 15.3 in-game seconds, and Duke travels double the speed with steroids on.  That's not enough of a time save to omit the Death Row window skip.   
Edit history:
Amart: 2016-05-05 04:18:59 am
Amart: 2016-05-05 04:16:36 am
Amart: 2016-05-05 04:15:25 am
Have any of you attempted going through an entire episode without taking any damage? Tongue  I think trying to go through the LA Meltdown episode without taking any damage would be fun if it was possible, but unfortunately taking fall damage in Hollywood Holocaust is inevitable.  We can remedy this by simply prohibiting the player from taking damage from enemies directly, but I don't think that will be as fun as trying to also avoid other hazards in the levels.  Another possible fix is to allow fall damage and disallow other forms of damage.  What do you guys think?

There is one trick I know that can be somewhat useful in a no damage run.  Whenever Duke is crouched near a sector split, explosions that occur at the other side of the sector split will not cause any damage to Duke.  If Duke is positioned correctly, Duke can literally fire a rocket at a enemy three feet away and no damage will be inflicted on Duke.  If two split adjacent sectors have different brightness levels, then it will be easy to detect in-game where the split is.  This trick can be pretty useful in the Lost Lagoon map (5th map of the Caribbean episode) in a no damage speedrun.  Not sure yet if it'd be very useful for the original three episodes.

There is a chance that I'll do a no damage run of the Caribbean episode in the future.  However, there are a couple parts in the Caribbean episode that requires you to go through fire.  Whether or not the fire hurts Duke seems random; I am hoping that there is a consistent way of going through fire without getting hurt. Smiley

Also, here are a couple IL DC speedruns that I did a few months back in case anyone is interested:

Quote from Amart:
Have any of you attempted going through an entire episode without taking any damage? Tongue  I think trying to go through the LA Meltdown episode without taking any damage would be fun if it was possible, but unfortunately taking fall damage in Hollywood Holocaust is inevitable.  We can remedy this by simply prohibiting the player from taking damage from enemies directly, but I don't think that will be as fun as trying to also avoid other hazards in the levels.  Another possible fix is to allow fall damage and disallow other forms of damage.  What do you guys think?

There is one trick I know that can be somewhat useful in a no damage run.  Whenever Duke is crouched near a sector split, explosions that occur at the other side of the sector split will not cause any damage to Duke.  If Duke is positioned correctly, Duke can literally fire a rocket at a enemy three feet away and no damage will be inflicted on Duke.  If two split adjacent sectors have different brightness levels, then it will be easy to detect in-game where the split is.  This trick can be pretty useful in the Lost Lagoon map (5th map of the Caribbean episode) in a no damage speedrun.  Not sure yet if it'd be very useful for the original three episodes.

There is a chance that I'll do a no damage run of the Caribbean episode in the future.  However, there are a couple parts in the Caribbean episode that requires you to go through fire.  Whether or not the fire hurts Duke seems random; I am hoping that there is a consistent way of going through fire without getting hurt. Smiley

Also, here are a couple IL DC speedruns that I did a few months back in case anyone is interested:

On the Steam forums somebody asked about the potential of playing the game without taking damage. I only looked through episode 1, and found it doable except for Hollywood Holocaust. Also The Abyss sucks due to the boss at the end, I found wedging yourself behind one of the babes was the most consistent way to avoid damage but even then it was very inconsistent.

As for the other episodes, I think it would be possible? I definitely think that if you want to avoid frustration, segmented is the best way to go. I can't imagine getting to the end of an episode and having a slime crawl on your face costing you one damage and ruining the run.

Also, I commented on those videos when you first uploaded them, but they are incredible runs. I haven't done the Brown Water route myself, but from many hours of playing through Smithsonian Terror just to practice in case the rest of DC gets routed, none of my runs have looked even remotely as good as yours looks.