Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Manocheese: 2013-01-08 08:07:57 pm
Manocheese: 2010-12-23 01:18:22 pm
Manocheese: 2010-12-23 01:18:06 pm
Manocheese: 2010-10-11 01:22:19 pm
Manocheese: 2010-08-04 09:34:12 pm
Yes, a cucco riding the ground.
See the SDA Strategy Wiki and David Wonn's site for information about many glitches.

--------------------------------------------------------

Original post by DateHell:

I started looking into a tactic for this game, route etc...

but short after... I ran into a major problem...
either I'm overlooking something here,
or there is no way to undo 'progress' in this game Sad

with no means of copying a gamefile and auto-saves after every collectible... segmenting a run on this game would provide no advantage (except for pauses for the gamer :P)

I'd be interested in plotting and/or playing a speedrun on this game... but I cba with a SS one

solutions plz Smiley
Thread title:  
Watching the 13 hour segmented speedrun of Wouter Jansen (I think it was him) which is hosted on http://www.archive.org/ could be some sort of solution.
Edit history:
YautjaElder: 2006-01-01 09:45:49 pm
Speed is the key.
Well, I´ve never heard of any auto-saves in DK64.  Wink

And isn´t there a copy function?

At least you can erase files.  Roll Eyes
Edit history:
DateHell: 2006-01-01 09:47:30 pm
po0oq
just try it... grab a banana, then 'exit game' or just reset.... you'll still have the banana Sad (tried both yes :P)

edit:
indeed you can erase files.... but no copy as far as i can find Sad
Edit history:
YautjaElder: 2006-01-01 09:51:20 pm
Speed is the key.
Quote:
just try it... grab a banana, then 'exit game' or just reset.... you'll still have the banana Sad (tried both yes :P)

edit:
indeed you can erase files.... but no copy as far as i can find Sad

Ok. But AFAIK the only bananas you have to grab is the first ten (or how many you require to get into Angry Aztec) due to the Lanky glitch. If this is allowed of course.
Edit history:
DateHell: 2006-01-01 09:59:59 pm
po0oq
if im doing a run it'll be a 100% one (ye ye... 101%)

note:
Im DLing wouter's run (:scared: @ competing with him) to compare his/my speed... anybody that knows him a bit and cares to ask how/if he segmented his run? (the copy-gamefile-issue)
Edit history:
Dragorn: 2006-01-01 10:04:33 pm
I thought it was just a surprise party!
Quote:
if im doing a run it'll be a 100% one (ye ye... 101%)

note:
Im DLing wouter's run (:scared: @ competing with him) to compare his/my speed... anybody that knows him a bit and cares to ask how/if he segmented his run? (the copy-gamefile-issue)

His run is segmented, but each segment represents the first attempt, since, as you said, everything is auto-saved and there’s no copy-file option.

If you really plan on doing this, good luck. (I don’t think you’ll have much trouble beating his run…)
Fight, Crocogator, for everlasting peace!
I wonder why marshmallow hasn't attempting DK64 yet. o.o

Still, any GOOD DK64 run is nice in my eyes. A 101% one especially so. Best of luck to you. I'll watch it, no matter the length. >>
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I doubt the Lanky glitch would be allowed; in my opinion the run should be done without it, mainly because it takes away so much from the game.

I also doubt a 100% run can be crammed into a 7 hour segment no matter how much optimization is done. Maybe 8-9 at the most.

I'd like to see an any % run w/ abusing the lanky glitch. The time would be under 7 hours, and since the game is incredibly boring anyway, more people would watch it over an 100% run.
dinosaur from the past
Lanky glitch is almost exactly equal to the M64 low star glitches, so it'd probably be the same thing; allowable but seperate category.
SEGA Junkie
It doesn't work on Hideout Helm, so you need 100 gold bananas anyway.
You could at least choose to get bananas from later levels in lieu of those from earlier levels. It's not much, but it might be handy. It certainly simplifies the time it takes to route plan. Also, isn't Lanky glitching slightly faster than legitimately showing the lock the bananas?

As per banana choices, I'd advise avoiding almost all minigames. They take a long time, and the risk of losing is high. Since you only need 100, you can probably skip some big stuff like Cranky abilities, guns, and instruments. Thinking through the bosses, we know you absolutely need(from my memory):

Diddy's rocket barrel
Diddy's penut popgun
Tiny's shrinking
Tiny's feathergun
Lanky's trombone
Chunky's hunky chunky

The simian slam is also obviously required to exit the first area. If I recall correctly, the forced minigames at the end require a few abilities as well. The only one I can remember for sure is Tiny's ponytail twirl(which also helps in a ton of golden bananas and her boss fight). You also need Donkey's coconut gun to save Diddy, and I think Diddy's chimpy charge is required to rescue Tiny(or was it Lanky?). There's probably more I forgot; someone who's played it more recently can fill in the gaps.

I'd approach this much like the SM64 run did. Lay out each of the golden bananas and look at each one in terms of time to collect. Consider the time it takes to get each and note what non-mandatory abilities it takes. You can estimate how much time is lost getting optional abilities in terms of going to get them and coin collection as well and factor those in at the end. I think this is the best way to go about it.

As per the save thing, single segment seems the only option to me. It will be far more impressive that way anyway.
Yes, a bunny riding a towel
it sure would be, if you can keep going on for about 10 hours straight.
po0oq
Unlike SM64, you continue playing in a level after collecting a banana... so simply checking which bananas can be collected fast won't work out

anyway, I'll play through it thoroughly and estimate how fast it can be done (and how fast a non-101% one can be done :P)
but Im not giving it much hope because I don't see the point in a speedrun if it isn't near-perfect, sry

(nope, I cannot go on 10h straight :P)
Even if the method doesn't work as well, it is still workable I think. It just makes travel times a bit more complicated to deal with. I'll probably look over the game a bit more thoroughly in the next few days; this sounds fun. Also, pure speed is probably a better idea as then SSing it becomes much more feasible.
Some glitches allow you to enter level 4 (Gloomy Galleon) from the start with DK.
"Just by walking into that level and exiting, you will have the authority to buy any level 4 abilities from Cranky, Funky, and Candy long before you are supposed to!"
That could be a good time saver for the earlier levels.

Swimming through the ground is also an easy glitch to do which should at least save some time for example by entering the banana fairy to get the banana camera early or a golden banana in Jungle Japes.
............... .......
So what's the status on this? (Either the 100-banana run or the 101% run. I'd be very interested in seeing either one.)

After watching the first couple of segments of Wouter Jansen's run, I was thinking about attempting a 101% speed run of this game myself as I have a guide, so route plans wouldn't be too difficult to do. (Haven't started working on any though.)

But now that I've found this thread......DateHell, if you want to do it, go for it! If not, then I can start working on route plans. Though I can't get started on the game right away.  :-/
Hmmm....
Mate,

Good luck in attempting to do this but I really can't see you doing this sub 7  or even 8. The 13 hour run isn't a speedrun its more of a video walkthrough and last of all you're only getting 75 bananas for the medal on each level not the full 100 am I correct?

Well anyway good luck if you complete it I look forward to watching it.
Yes, a bunny riding a towel
Please make that speedrun for DK64 101%!
I couldn't really be bothered to invest a lot of time into route planning and I'm no good at the arcade game and beaver bother and such.
The problem with this game is I never found a way to redo a single segment (bar the first one), because the game autosaves whatever you do. It will always be a on-the-go run (as in no retries except for the whole thing), the only reason there will be segments is that it takes so long to complete. Of course you're welcome to do it all in one segment though Wink
I wish you lots of luck and really hope you'll finish this.
I can only hope my "run" is of any help towards your eventual completion Smiley
Precursor
"Donkey Kong 64 101% speedrun" is an oxymoron.
like cranky kong, but not as nice
save-warping would save some time travelling between levels, as it always starts you on the beach of dk isles

can't remember if the blueprints count towards the 101% or not; if not, their only use is to increase the time allowed on the  'destroy the machine' section, so might be skipped

other than that, the idea of running this game isn't helped by the thought of doing each level 5 times...
Edit history:
YautjaElder: 2006-01-19 08:08:09 pm
Speed is the key.
Quote:
save-warping would save some time travelling between levels, as it always starts you on the beach of dk isles

can't remember if the blueprints count towards the 101% or not; if not, their only use is to increase the time allowed on the  'destroy the machine' section, so might be skipped

other than that, the idea of running this game isn't helped by the thought of doing each level 5 times...

In a 101% run you must collect all the blueprints, otherwise you miss 40 golden bananas.  Roll Eyes
hi
Fortunately 101% doesn't include the small bananas...but those DO show up on the level items collected screen.
Edit history:
deutsch_joe: 2006-01-19 09:52:20 pm
............... .......
Quote:
Fortunately 101% doesn't include the small bananas...but those DO show up on the level items collected screen.

Yeah, good thing too.

I wonder if even the Banana Medals you get from 75 bananas should a mandatory part of the run? It's been several years since I've played this game and can't remember everything but if I'm correct, the only thing that counts toward the game percentage is the Golden Bananas.

And according to the rules:

Quote:
How to define 100% for any given game is usually a matter for debate. In general, any item that improves your character's abilities should be collected. Things that don't, such as map, aren't necessary. This isn't true for all games however, it is only a general idea.

What I'm thinking here is that unless somebody says otherwise, the only things a person needs to collect in this game are:

- All the Golden Bananas, obviously.

- Enough coins for each character to buy Cranky's potions, Funky's shooter weapons and Candy's instruments. It may be possible to skip some of Candy's and Funky's upgrades later in the game.

- Enough regular bananas to open the boss doors.

- All of Snide's Blueprints to get 40 Golden Bananas.

- All Banana Fairies to get the 201st Golden Banana.

The things that could be skipped are:

- Unnecessary regular bananas

- Banana Medals

- The Nintendo Coin

- The Rareware Coin (I forget what these even do. Unless they help the player get a required item, they can be skipped.)

By the way, last night when I posted I mentioned that I might be interested in doing this run if DateHell isn't interested. Well, to be frank, I'd prefer it if he did the run because I've got other ongoing projects, not to mention that I'm busy with school. However, if he decides to back out, I'll try to tackle it. I just can't say that I can actually get started on playing/recording it right away as I can't get to my Nintendo 64 until spring break in March, unless I drive back home before then one weekend.

By the way, I'd still like to see a 100 Golden Banana speed run. I'm 100% positive it will be short enough to post on this site.
Edit history:
YautjaElder: 2006-01-19 09:54:44 pm
Speed is the key.
You need 15 banana medals to get the Rareware coin, which is needed yo complete the game. Nintendo coin is needed to, so you can't skip those.