Sad
<- 1  -   of 86 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
SEGA Junkie
I thought Banana Medals were required for 101%.

Correct me if I'm wrong here...
like cranky kong, but not as nice
i really ought to dig the cartridge out... the rareware and nintendo coins jointly open a door in k rool's fortress behind which are two (the last two?) banana fairies - however, they can be photographed through a nearby window if you don't have the coins yet - but i'm pretty sure they count towards the 101%
I'm addicted to games
You need r/n coins to get the 8th boss key.
............... .......
Quote:
You need r/n coins to get the 8th boss key.

I see.

Not to mention that a person needs 15 Banana Medals to play the game to get the Rareware coin.

And each Banana Medal requires 75 bananas.

So.

In that case, the thing to do is to obviously get the 75 bananas with whatever Kongs already collect the most bananas along their ways throughout the levels. Or whatever Kongs can obtain 75 bananas without having to go through a big hassle.

By the way, something's bugging me. During the Banjo-Tooie speed run, the player felt it necessary to pick up the Cheato pages and Honeycomb Pieces (Items for activating "cheat codes" and gaining more life capacity.) because they are something that shows up when you look at levels totals, even though he doesn't use the Cheato Pages and most of the Honeycomb Pieces.

Well, Banana Medals and normal bananas show up in the level totals too, except they don't count toward the game percentage. However, according to the FAQ I quoted in my last post, they aren't necessary.

With all of that being said, trying to get 100 bananas per Kong per level would be a bitch and would probably extend the run time a considerable amount, but it would be cool to see pulled off. I'm split on whether the run should get all 500 bananas/level or not.

Thoughts?
dinosaur from the past
Since the game has a built in percentage, I'd say just go by that as there's no pressing reason to second guess it. (Keeping in mind that you're aiming for 101% (right?), and not 100%.)
Quote:

With all of that being said, trying to get 100 bananas per Kong per level would be a bitch and would probably extend the run time a considerable amount, but it would be cool to see pulled off. I'm split on whether the run should get all 500 bananas/level or not.

Thoughts?

If it's all 500 bananas/level, I doubt anyone would watch it
Yes, a bunny riding a towel
it doesn't take that long to get bananas, just do it while going for the big ones, many are on your way, it won't be overly boring to do the other as well..

also, the final boss isn't part of 101%
Edit history:
Yoshi348: 2006-01-20 04:58:42 pm
dinosaur from the past
Well, you have to beat the game too. The various Metroid games don't count the final boss as a precent, but that doesn't mean you can get away with not finishing the game, or that we have to track our own percentage.
SEGA Junkie
Think of the bananas in DK64 as like the coins in Super Mario 64.

Does the 120 star run collect every single coin in each level? I sure hope not, else my point is moot.

Anyhow, that's my precedent. If SM64 didn't feel the need to do so, surely this shouldn't either.
Hmmm....
Hi,

I thought the banana medals were part of the 101% plus even if you didn't get all the bananas you still need a considerable amount to get to the boss of each level.

Also Wouter is right the smaller bananas are only on the way to the Golden ones so I don't see how it makes much difference. Also you only need 75 bananas for the medal so that should save some time. I think 101% also counts as the "veiw totals" page where all the items are floating around in a circle.

Mike89 the 120 star run does have the person collect all the coins (100 coins = a star). Plus lets try not to make a Donkey Kong topic into a Mario one.

Anyway good luck look forward to seeing it.
100 coins != ALL coins Wink
hi
^what he said

Think of the bananas in DK64 as like the coins in Super Mario 64.

Does the 120 star run collect every single coin in each level? I sure hope not, else my point is moot.

well yea, you need 100 which is only part of the 1## however many there are, and you only need 75/100 bananas per kong per world.

The only difference is appearance on the pause screen for each level, and I dunno if that counts
Quote:
^what he said

The only difference is appearance on the pause screen for each level, and I dunno if that counts

But if every single possible screen that shows some kind of objective or object to be collected, then a 100% zelda run would include every map
Edit history:
deutsch_joe: 2006-01-21 08:34:19 am
............... .......
As we've already established, a person only needs 15 Banana Medals to beat the game. There are 35 possible. (5 Kongs, 7 worlds.) Not to mention that the banana requirements to access the bosses toward the end of the game start to get a little hefty.

So if the runner only wants to collect 15 Banana Medals, maybe a majority of them can be collected in the later levels while collecting bananas to open boss doors. As for the earlier levels, the normal bananas can be obtained along the way while making no extra effort to collect any not along the way. And if a Kong gets a Banana Medal during normal transit from one point to another in an earlier level, then great. (I'm thinking that between that and all of the bananas you have to get later in the game, that should cover 15.)

My guide doesn't say anything about Banana Medals being counted towards the final percentage, so I think the runner will be in good shape just picking up 15, if that's what they decide to do.

If the runner wants to get all of the Banana Medals, however, I think they should focus on obtaining all 500 bananas per level instead of just picking up Banana Medals. If Banana Medals have no value after collecting 15 of them, I don't see much point in collecting bananas for Banana Medals unless all 100 bananas/Kong/level will be collected. In other words, I think it's kind of retarded to collect 75 bananas and then just stop when

1) Banana Medals after the 15th one are pointless and

2) collecting 75 bananas and then quitting makes the run feel "incomplete," since doing that in the first place had no purpose aside from getting pointless collectables.

(I'm getting really tired of typing the word "banana.")

Really, what this boils down to is what the runner wants to do and/or what the people here want to see.

But it's like Rael said though, if speedruns required every little thing to be collected, dungeon maps would have to be collected in Legend of Zelda speedruns. So, no, I don't feel that getting more than 15 Banana Medals will be necessary, unless you all think otherwise.

Also, an item I forgot to mention: Battle Crowns. (The item you get for entering a battle arena and surviving for a certain period of time.) My guide says that those do count towards the final percentage, so those will be mandatory to obtain. (Not that it really matters that much anyway.)
Speed is the key.
IIRC you need like, 10 battle crowns to enter a door somewhere...
I'm pretty sure I did get all 100 bananas for everyone everywhere and I think that's how it should be because the game is so long that the bit extra time to get all these bananas isn't going to make it excessive.
Also, if you aren't 100% sure that the Medals do NOT count towards the 101%, it would be very saddening when you've gone through a run just to find out that it actually does count (I don't know if it does..)
SEGA Junkie
IIRC, here's what's required to beat the game:

100 Golden Bananas
4 Battle Crowns
15 Banana Medals
8 Boss Keys
and the Rareware and Nintendo Coins.

On the subject of blueprints, I did a bit of testing and was unable to beat Hideout Helm in anything less than about 14 minutes. I would suggest that at least four blueprints are required, but probably to include five or six in the 100 Golden Bananas.
hi
@joe: but aren't you doing the same thing for the first 15 medals?

if you're JUST getting 15 to beat the game minimal, later levels are the way to go...like in Creepy Castle you need 450 bananas. That''s 90 per kong <_< so you get the medals while getting those bananas (as joe said)

and don't you actually need 20, because you get 15, then you have to pick up the five in hideout helm (but those are just from beating mini games, maybe you can skip them)
dinosaur from the past
I don't see what all the fuss is about when the game has a freaking built in percentage.
I'm addicted to games
Yeah, it's like asking if you should get the KONG letters in donkey kong country... no, the game doesn't count it.

The reason to get the honeycombs/cheat pages in banjo games is those games have no "% counter" so we just get everything listed on the status screens. In dk64 since it does have one, you dont have to look at the status screens.
hi
ah I see. thanks for clarifying.
The debate is finally over Cheesy Thanks Radix

Also, it's 400 bananas for creepy castle (checked gamefaqs for that), which is, of course, 80 bananas per kong, which is still enough.  I seem to remember that getting Donkey's and Tiny's medal was very easy for the level if you use them to open the warps on the ground floor and around the castle respectively
Edit history:
deutsch_joe: 2006-01-21 09:48:52 pm
............... .......
What does IIRC mean? Sorry, I'm new to the board and don't know the lingo yet.

Thanks for the info Radix. I understand now.

Quote:
if you're JUST getting 15 to beat the game minimal, later levels are the way to go

Well, I just found something out. According to the first FAQ for DK64 on Gamefaqs...

Quote:
BANANA MEDALS:
You get a banana medal if a character collects 75 bananas in a single level. There are 40 banana medals in all, and you must get all of them if you want to get 101%. When you have 15 of them, go to Cranky's Lab and he will let you play the Jetpac game.

...-__-

So 15 is the minimum if somebody is doing a minimal run. Otherwise, it's all 35 + 5 in Hideout Helm.
hi
If I remember correctly.
here are some crappy notes I made back then.

http://dan01.com/DK64%20Speedrun/