Smiley
Sad
<- 123456
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
i havent really touched DI either... been busy with other games, i wanted to route riptide at some point but the project died, didnt really have any motivation for this
SM64 Speedrunner
Finally starting to route Riptide. I've decided that I'm going to raise another character to level 70, the one which might be better for speedrunning. Xian comes to mind obviously, but I don't know, a NG+ run on level 70 is very different from a NG run; and since I'll be using a sniper rifle, maybe Purna will be the fastest...What do you think, Void? Also, off-topic question: Do you like the original DI or Riptide better? I think for me it's Riptide, not entirely sure why though, xD
Purna does have all the weapon skills, but Xian has Fury movement and you should probably use that pretty much non-stop Smiley

Hmm... I think I like the original DI more. I don't really like the city in Riptide, City of Moresby is the worst place in DI as well but still feels better than in Riptide. But maybe that's also because I've been busy with DI the most Wink
SM64 Speedrunner
The fury is another thing, Logan's fury is absolutely awesome, the best by a large margin, ( 0:47 Not my video, sorry that I picked one with such a low quality, but it's the only one I could find that truly shows Logan's fury in its full potential) and Purna's is ok. I really, really dislike Xian's because you have to get really close, and it just doesn't last long enough to be worth it. However it's true that you can move faster while using it, so probably Xian is the fastest character overall to use in the NG+ 70 run.
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2013-11-01 10:00:04 pm
Yeah Logan's fury is pretty awesome Smiley But you're going to run the game in NG+ so combat isn't an issue since you're already overpowered, therefore you should focus on getting from point A to B in the fastest way and thus Xian's fury movement will be the best choice. Maybe you should just plan and testrun it a little with both.
SM64 Speedrunner
After playing Riptide for pretty much the whole day, I finally got Xian to level 70. I'm now going to supply on metal scrap and bleach to make rifle ammo for the semi-auto sniper.
SM64 Speedrunner
Actually, after noticing how freaking fast Xian's fury regenerates while killing with a blade weapon and how freaking fast she moves while in fury, I think I will also have some blade weapons in my inventory, for those close quarters times on which the sniper isn't too good.
would it work to have xian use guns to generate fury then use that fury as often as you can for long travel/fights
I just had a time of 36 minutes for Act 1, I shall record Act 1 later today or tomorrow and show it to you guys. After that I guess I'll record the other acts, but a bit of fury/skills planning needs to be done first as well.

In Act 1 I was thinking of maybe maxing the fury movement skill first and then use fury on the way downhill to the beach to Niko and then use fury again at the start of Act 2 in the Ram fight in front of the church. But the skill "kills gain you stamina" is pretty handy to quickly refill when running from point A to B and of course also the Stamina Regeneration skill in the survival tree is always handy.
I've made up my mind (Otherwise I'll probably go back and forth trying to weigh out the options... Tongue ), first skill point will be unlocking Fury (To get the Fury Knife as quick as possible) and then the next 4 points in the survival tree to max the Vampire skill, then 1 point in the combat tree, and then the next 3 points in the survival tree to max the Stamina Regeneration skill and then the next points in the combat tree for the sharp damage skill, and I think after that the fury movement. Tricky to plan this precisely... It actually now makes me wonder if the Stamina Regeneration is really worth it to put 3 points in, maybe those should go into the combat tree for the weapon duration, hmm... Dammit Tongue
Edit history:
Deln: 2013-11-04 03:08:09 pm
honestly you could just throw a molotov at the ram in act 2, if aimed correctly it will take out all the zombies and the ram with it
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2013-11-06 06:25:58 pm
TheVoid: 2013-11-05 02:52:19 pm
TheVoid: 2013-11-04 03:26:36 pm
TheVoid: 2013-11-04 03:26:07 pm
Yeah that sounds like a pretty solid idea Smiley Although I'm a little worried that, if they're not all killed at once, the flames will interfere with further manual killing. I shall test it.

EDIT: I just did a couple of attempts to record Act 1 but apparently I'm not "in the zone" right now so I'll try tomorrow again. In the first attempt pretty much everything went wrong which was quite hilarious Cheesy One positive thing came out of the attempting which is that I've got a much better part to drop the Fury Knife now so that I won't lose time doing it.

EDIT: Son of a bitch... Now that I'm "in the zone" for attempting I can't seem to drop the freaking Fury Knife Tongue
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2013-11-10 04:11:26 am
TheVoid: 2013-11-10 02:39:47 am
TheVoid: 2013-11-10 02:35:15 am
Alright, I finished a testrun of Act 1. It has some wonky mistakes but oh well, it's just to show routes and tricks Smiley Also, I know why previously I had such a hard time dropping the Fury Knife, it's because I was empty handed when trying to drop it. I always threw my paddle away before the drop because obviously I had no use for the paddle anymore.
Oh and I've also decided not to take the Stamina Regeneration skill from the Survival tree because I'm pretty sure there's no need for it because of the Vampire skill. We'll see if it works out from the testruns.

Some comments:

03:21 - Must remember to not spam E too much to grab the Molotov because it replaced my paddle and so I needed to perform some extra menu action later on to replace it again with the paddle.
04:21 - Also something I learned from a previous attempt, don't try to do the prevent fall damage trick without stamina because then you'll fall to your death. It's pretty logical since you can't jump without stamina but it has never occured to me before so I learned it the hard way once Cheesy
06:18 - I got grabbed an unusual amount of times in this attempt, pretty funny. Normally it very rarely happens.
10:23 - Apparently I parked the car a bit too much to the right so the fence wasn't open already, obviously it should already be open in a run for a smooth drivethrough Wink
10:52 - I should kick the guy (Like I previously always did...), somehow I couldn't immediately attack with the Fury Knife when I got out of the car. I attack the guy to remove him from play (And just a simple kick will do for the game to remove him) because otherwise he can get troublesome when I fill the gas can.
11:47 - "It's coming right for us!" Jimbo & Ned
15:17 - Some very wonky-bouncy-floaty movement stuff going on here Cheesy
16:05 - Now the right part of the fence remains open only 1 time because of the car previously, second smooth drivethrough.
18:34 - No driving flying shortcut anymore Sad Just behind the palmtree on the right, and before the palmtree on the right side above it, would've been the route up and over the hill.
18:46 - Ouch! It's a little tricky to drive through this way, usually I'm pretty good at it. But if it goes wrong IT GOES WRONG!
19:44 - Haha awesome! That has never happened before.
21:16 - You can also run to the right side past the pool which I should've done in this case (Because of the way the car positioned).
24:07 - Damn you Thuggy!
29:06 - I'm using Fury here so I can keep on running and my stamina will be refilled after it.
30:25 - I shouldn't apply this skill point yet.
30:35 - Not killing the zombie so that she attacks Nikolai obviously shouldn't happen in a run Wink
31:22 - I saw Deln do this in his run, it's funny so I'll include it as well Wink
32:06 - I shouldn't apply this point yet either, along with the next 2 level ups I should then apply all 4 points at once at the mechanic's workshop. Also, the gate already opens because I previously parked the armored truck close to it.
33:34 - At this whole mechanic's workshop part I should actually start using the Machete from Nikolai.
35:57 - It seems that when you're drinking the soda and the screen fades and stuff you get health refilled twice (You can also hear it) and thus I'm full health again.

During the run, especially when I'm driving, I try to do some extra killing to get to level 12 in Act 2.
SM64 Speedrunner
Amazing job! Your drving is superb.
Thanks Smiley I'll start attempting Act 2.
I edit my posts ever and anon after.
Fury weapon switch glitch: Hold highlighting desired weapon in the weapon wheel, activate fury. Benefit: Increased damage (and severing, in Xian Mei's case).
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2013-12-17 02:26:39 pm
TheVoid: 2013-12-17 02:26:12 pm
That sounds pretty awesome NiteCyper. Is the increased damage always present on the desired weapon? If yes, does it stack? Or do you mean that the fury knife gets the increased damage (only for the fury duration) from the desired weapon?
Well anyway, I'll test it out myself as well. Once again I haven't touched Dead Island for some time, got sidetracked again with other games...

EDIT: I've been playing around with it a bit and it seems you can use the desired weapon with no stamina cost for the fury duration. Or at least I think it costs no stamina, when I was in fury with another weapon and then did Load Last Checkpoint the stamina bar was forever gone Smiley
But I didn't attack enemies with it so I don't know if it would've been stronger. I don't really see it being very useful, actually.
Edit history:
NiteCyper: 2014-01-06 02:00:14 am
I edit my posts ever and anon after.
Quote from TheVoid:
Is the increased damage always present on the desired weapon? If yes, does it stack?

(1) No, only for the duration of the fury. (2) No stacking.

Quote from TheVoid:
Or do you mean that the fury knife gets the increased damage (only for the fury duration) from the desired weapon?

If I understand you correctly, no.

Quote from TheVoid:
EDIT: I've been playing around with it a bit and it seems you can use the desired weapon with no stamina cost for the fury duration. Or at least I think it costs no stamina

Yes.

Quote from TheVoid:
when I was in fury with another weapon and then did Load Last Checkpoint the stamina bar was forever gone Smiley

It sounds like you're saying that you found an exploit to get essentially unlimited stamina, yes?

Quote from TheVoid:
But I didn't attack enemies with it so I don't know if it would've been stronger.

Like I said, the damage is increased...significantly. I'd give you numbers (and check your last claim), but I'm lazy and should be sleeping.
Quote from NiteCyper:
It sounds like you're saying that you found an exploit to get essentially unlimited stamina, yes?

I'm afraid not, the bar was gone but the stamina still drained like it normally does when running or attacking.
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzIxNTIzMTcy.html
Quote from (Can:
Truljin @ Twitch
Been working on this game for a month now and my current best run and WR can be found at http://www.speedrun.com/dead_island_1
We (me and Tirean) are still working on the Xian route and will try and make one for the other characters as well.