Smiley
Sad
<- 1  -   of 26 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
charleon, feel free to link a recording of your attempts if you want some pointers!
Edit history:
AsbestosBear: 2013-06-07 04:08:57 am
AsbestosBear: 2013-06-07 04:08:30 am
AsbestosBear: 2013-06-07 04:08:15 am
AsbestosBear: 2013-06-07 04:07:56 am
worldoneone.com
Just got 12:13. I'll put a link up on my Twitch later this evening. Inching my way closer to sub 11 :p

Edit: Highlight up for those that like to watch terrible Contra players Cheesy http://twitch.tv/asbestosbear
What is a man?
Quote from Hurblat:
charleon, feel free to link a recording of your attempts if you want some pointers!

Will do, IRL has struck me hard this week, but i'll continue next week in my attempts in learning the later levels Smiley
Edit history:
Hurblat: 2013-06-07 11:27:46 am
AsbestosBear: I can't seem to find your highlights. Would you mind linking your run directly?

charleon: good stuff!
Edit history:
AsbestosBear: 2013-06-07 03:14:15 pm
worldoneone.com
http://www.twitch.tv/asbestosbear/c/2389921 Is my newest PB highlight. It looks like other people have viewed them... anyone else having problems with my highlights?

Edit: I changed a setting. Should be good now :p
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Got 11:44 just now. I didn't stream it, but I recorded it anyways. I died in Snow Field which kind of sucked, but it was before the spread pickup, so it wasn't too costly. Also I think I got the glitch kill on the 2nd head on Base 2, although it was after wasting alot of time.
That's how it always goes zallard.  The game rewards patience.  Tongue
Willing to teach you the impossible
http://tasvideos.org/forum/t/14148
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Alright everyone!!!! TheMexicanRunner and I raced our asses off today doing Low % Runs on Contra. We raced Contra for 6 1/2 hours!!! We both got PB's multiple times.

My best time was a 13:12

http://www.twitch.tv/deuceler/c/2478442

I realized after the fact I grabbed the barrier accidently in the Waterfall stage. I don't believe that it made any difference in my time however, so I'm not holding it against myself. I should be able to get Sub 13 pretty easily soon.

TheMexicanRunner's best time was a 12:49 (in the same race :O)

He hasn't made a highlight for the video yet, but when he does I will post it here.

Also (sorry for how long this is becoming) TMR made a huge improvement on his Any % run and ran a 10:31!!!! I'm hoping to join the Sub 10:40 club soon, and will be doing loads of runs in the next couple days. Here is a link to his new time

http://www.twitch.tv/themexicanrunner/c/2472837

It's a fucking shame how POORLY this game emulates, it makes it hard to watch and the bullets do strange things. Oh well, here's to more Contra!!! If anyone ever wants to race any category send me a message on Twitch or IRC!!!
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Alright Alright!!! Stoked to say I finally joined the ranks of the almighty Sub 11:00 !!! I could have gone sub 10:50 really easily if it wasn't for the unfortunate death at the end of the hangar. However, that gives me reason to get that sub 10:30 !! It's also really motivating because when I started streaming (In March) Hurblat's PB was close to where I am. Let's continue the hunt to take down Heid!!!

http://www.twitch.tv/deuceler/c/2483863
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Got 11:25 just now. I just need to be less terrible at Hangar... might need to actually practice it or something Tongue

Also major grats to TMR and Deuceler! You guys are doing amazing! Keep it up!
Hey there. New to speed running and thought Contra would be a good start...and boy is it aggravating, lol. Anyways, I've spoken to Hurblat already on the #Contra IRC, but just thought I'd introduce myself here, especially since I got everything I need to record and stream now.

Feel free to stop by, critique, and laugh. Hope you don't mind cussing, because I'll be doing a lot of it, lol. http://www.twitch.tv/saintconnor
Welcome to the show, Saint Connor!

The leaderboard now has three runners tied at 11:25. The heat is on.
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
11:20. This run looks totally ugly and I forgot to start my splits during this particular run, but I ended up timing it after.

It's so close to 11:21 though, so it's possible human error in splitting it could be what made it 11:20.
Curious question, when do you start and end timers for each spit? While I realize I'm not running the fastest because I'm not that used to it, I've noticed my Jungle split being way different from other people's despite making it there fairly clean. Like 4-6 seconds difference. Want to make sure I'm timing accurately.
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
It just depends on your preferences. I hit my split as soon as I hear the fanfare music from beating a level, while Hurblat splits as soon as the screen turns black. As long as you start your splits when you appear in the sky in Jungle and end them as soon as the music starts in Alien's Lair, it doesn't matter too much on where you split. It's probably easiest to just hit the split during the screen change, but I'm so used to hitting it from the fanfare music now that it'd be an annoying habit to change.
Quote from zallard1:
As long as you start your splits when you appear in the sky in Jungle

Ah. Think this is what I was doing wrong. Was starting during the black screen into Jungle, not during the fall. That could help my time be a couple seconds :P. Thanks for the info.
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Ah ok. Yeah when I first started, I thought the starting point was when your feet hit the ground, but I think Hurblat saw me streaming and let me know it's when you appear that you gain control.
Saint Connor the easiest way to know when to start/stop is when you gain control of the character in the jungle (i.e. as you start falling) and when you lose control of the character after you defeat the Heart in the Alien Lair.  The most common way of determining when you lose control is to point your gun in the air and as soon as it is forced down by the game you split. Trust me, you don't want to split early when you defeat the heart, because you may think you ran sub 11:00 only to find out you didn't.
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Saint Connor the easiest way to know when to start/stop is when you gain control of the character in the jungle (i.e. as you start falling) and when you lose control of the character after you defeat the Heart in the Alien Lair.  The most common way of determining when you lose control is to point your gun in the air and as soon as it is forced down by the game you split. Trust me, you don't want to split early when you defeat the heart, because you may think you ran sub 11:00 only to find out you didn't.
TheMexicanRunner just got 11:55 in low%! But, he says he's done with the category now. So I guess we should all help coerce him into going for the record, right? Smiley
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Congrats to TMR! I hope to be up near that time next time I come home........... I will get him to do more races etc. and bring his time down............... when are you gonna join us Hurblat ??
Edit history:
zallard1: 2013-07-15 11:03:58 pm
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
11:18. No video this time, but here's a brief summary: things were ok until I died in Hangar. Then things were not ok, but I got a pb anyways.

EDIT: 11:00. So many mistakes and Snowfield deaths, but I got the glitch kill on the Base 2 boss again.

Willing to teach you the impossible
How many Contra runners use turbo or auto fire?
Quote from Heidrage:
How many Contra runners use turbo or auto fire?

I don't because I didn't think you were allowed to.