Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Cute and Cuddly Lemming
Yes I'm speaking of the all famous 1996 "Anno 1602" game.

I am interested in a speedrun and will gladly help planning and/or competing. I wonder though if this game is at all known in other parts of europe/the world than Austria/Germany, since it was an austrian and german co-production.

From my experience and after some research, there are no obvious timesavers apart from map exploring similar to D2. Hex Editors and other cheat codes are obviously not feasible.
Thread title:  
Stalker!
quite a nice idea. i really like this game and you'll realize it somehow
Cute and Cuddly Lemming
Anyone else got an opinion? Smiley
TASer
(I'm German)

I also remember this game.
But I'm uncertain if it will make a good speedrun...

I'm supporting this project, though. Although I haven't played the game for ages...
Hope noone's getting mad for digging out such an old topic (on top of that with my first post here)

Watching speedruns for almost a year now and while playing anno 1602 i wondered if there can be done sth like a speedrun and stumbled on this topic.

Basically either the campaign or an endless game qualifies for beeing completed in the shortest time possible. The length of every campaign chapter varies due to the goals set to complete them. But: repetative soon or later..  i dont think  that would be fun to watch

Regarding Endless game: it never really ends.. I ve set my goal to destroy all enemies in the fastest way possible and ended up with a realtime of 49 mins, but this time can most likely be cut in half since i played that game at the 4x speed setting (for the most part, somtimes at 1x speed) and not at the maximum speed of 8x.

I know it is a bad game to "speedrun"  and it will never be competetive speedrunningwise but it is a gaming pearl nevertheless..
My current goal would be to do a good endless run with the goal to destroy all enemies as fast as possible.

Opinoins appreciated Smiley More love for Anno 1602!
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Well there is a SimCity speedrun, so why not? xD
Personally, I feel the campaign might be more suited for speedrunning, and would count as individual levels (i.e. every mission independently). The endless game has the downside, that you need to define something like 'beat all enemies', but why not 'get cathedral' (as that is the last building you unlock at 2500 Aristocrats)? Sounds fishy to me.

Quote from Tibirius:
More love for Anno 1602
I also really liked that game. For endless game, you could define several categories, the ultimate would probably be to destroy all enemies and get a cathedral Wink
On which difficulty are you running btw?
Here is a speedrun in the Endless Game, killing all enemy players in 8 minutes.

Enjoy!
Wow, I never even knew it was possible to remove an enemy by acquiring the land his contor's on with a marketplace after destroying the former =D
Do tell me, if you RNG manipulated the perfectly close settlements of yellow and white?
Edit history:
Saturn: 2014-07-05 04:23:30 pm
Edit:
For comparison, here is an alternate, slower but overall easier to execute citizen strategy, killing all enemies in 16 minutes.

Enjoy!
Man I loved this game as a child, nice job, first speedrun i ever see of this game. Is it possible to just build your own contor over an opponents when it's destroyed and is it necessary to remove yellow's houses after he resigned? Also wouldn´t landing on white's island and destroying his ship with the artillery be quicker, saving an extra trip to find it?

Would be interesting to see a speedrun of how quickly all buldings can be unlocked and build (additionally to destroying all enemies) or the campaign. Btw it makes more sense to add seconds for timing such a short run. Wink
Quote from Molotok:
Also wouldn´t landing on white's island and destroying his ship with the artillery be quicker, saving an extra trip to find it?

Ships can (and will) shoot back at soldiers on land, and will destroy them before they get the chance to do any major damage to the ship, iirc.
Quote from Alko:
Quote from Molotok:
Also wouldn´t landing on white's island and destroying his ship with the artillery be quicker, saving an extra trip to find it?

Ships can (and will) shoot back at soldiers on land, and will destroy them before they get the chance to do any major damage to the ship, iirc.

And if you park the ship inbetween (after building contor and unloading goods) like he did with the other ship in his run?
Quote from Molotok:
1. Is it possible to just build your own contor over an opponents when it's destroyed
2. and is it necessary to remove yellow's houses after he resigned?
3. Also wouldn´t landing on white's island and destroying his ship with the artillery be quicker, saving an extra trip to find it?

1. It actually is, but I found that out only afterwards. Not a big deal though, as that would only save around 5 seconds in the run when taking over white.

2. No, but the additional population could screw up the food and cloth reserves, for which the own productions were not calculated for. You would also have to pay operating costs for all the additional market places and industry buildings the opponent leaves behind that you don't need, so I just took the few seconds to avoid eventual problems later on.

3. The main problem here is time. You have to be very quick to get rid of the opponents ships, because they are just about to take off colonizing a 2nd island, which can easily delay the run by minutes. And since building a castle is only possible later on (I did that at the earliest point in the run), not to mention the time it takes to train the soldiers, it would almost certainly be too late.
Here is a demonstration on how to build a stable 13280 Aristocrats city in the Endless Game with minimal requirements (6 support islands if not counting the one solely required for gold):

It's a direct continuation from the "All Kills in 0:16" video posted above.

Enjoy!
Edit history:
MUGG: 2015-04-05 10:38:07 am
MUGG: 2015-04-05 10:37:42 am
MUGG: 2015-04-05 10:37:21 am
TASer
I was wondering if you can somehow sink all the three opponent ships right away, by using some insane strategy... (white flags / treaty so you shoot them but they don't shoot you)

If there was a mission I'd like to see speedrun, it's the pirate pest one.
Here is a speedrun of one of Anno 1602's hardest missions "The Fortress", which requires to defeat a heavily armed, fully developed opponent, while at the same time having to deal with aggressive pirates. Completed in 39 minutes.

Enjoy!
Edit history:
MUGG: 2019-08-11 09:35:15 am
TASer
Quote from MUGG:
I was wondering if you can somehow sink all the three opponent ships right away, by using some insane strategy... (white flags / treaty so you shoot them but they don't shoot you)

Well, I found that strat I was thinking about.

I could only get 2 ships down. The third ship that settles has to have their marketplace near the sea so I can take him down.
Glitchhunter
Hey guys Smiley

I was digging around in this game, thinking it might a an interesting game to glitchhunt a little and oh boy was I right.
This game is full of small coding errors which can be greatly exploited. I recently finished a continuous play in just 13 seconds by abusing a glitch that can transform your into an enemy player, taking control of their ships.
You essentially sink your ship, posess two of the AI enemies and finally become the white player at which point you are the last player on the map.

I also found some other stuff that would save a ton of time in missions. The largest finds would be two glitches that can be used to take over an island by just building a warehouse.
I'll most likely make a compilation video of all tricks once I'm done looking into the game. I'm pretty sure an all missions run would be short enough to be viable at that point.

So far, these are all the other useful tricks I found plus some of the ones already documented elsewhere:

- Saving the game and reloading the save removes fires and the plague, as well as restoring the HP of all buildings in the game.

- Covering crops with any kind of path without letting go of the highlighting prevents the crops from being depleted when harvested.

- Covering fresh or dead crops with the crop of choice without letting to of the highlighting makes the new crop grow after some time, no matter on which island.

- Mashing the left mouse button will increase damage infliced with ships and soldiers when attacking.

- Mashing the discovery option and letting go will greatly increase the speed of the island ressource check.

- Replacing any kind of production building when it sent out animals, a cart or person to gather its materials will convert each cart/animal/person into the material it requires for production.

- Placing buildings on the edge of your islands building range and removing them extends the building range by the footprint of the used building.

- Selecting a big ship inside a large shipyard and pressing build on a small one builds the big ship inside the small one for less money.

- It is possible to avoid being cursed by killing the main tribe house and saving after the building is destroyed but before the curse message appears and then loading the save.

- You can hide soldiers inside blocks by telling them to enter a block and placing something there right when they enter it.

- You can take over an enemy island by selecting to build a warehouse, clicking on their territory and then selecting an unclaimed area and only then letting go of the left mouse button.

- You can destroy an enemy island by building a warehouse on the same island, selecting any warehouse in the menu, clicking on your territory and then selecting the enemy warehouse and then letting go of the left mouse button.
Aside from posting about it here, you can also put it in a wiki. That way no information is ever buried in threads, and it's kept neatly organized. Here's the instructions (they were just created so we could use someone to test them too).

Sounds like very cool tricks you've found! Played a lot of DOS as a kid so I'm extra happy about DOS runs that end up on the front page, though I never played this one particular.
Here is a glitchless speedrun of Anno 1602's Endless Game, aiming to create a 2500+ Aristocrats city in fastest time in order to unlock the final building of the game, the cathedral. Got it in 21 minutes:

Pretty tricky category to optimize, that especially in the early stages depends a lot on the cooperation of the trading ships.
Yes, the ending point would have to be arbitrarily picked, otherwise there's no actual end. I'm not too familiar with the Anno series (I've only played other "city simulators", like Pharaoh and Caesar III), but it looks like the concept is quite similar, you "win" when you've built a wonder.
Glitchhunter
I just picked up the History Edition of the game to check if anything important has changed. It looks like the only major changes would be the better loading times and much wider field of vision.
I'm pretty sure the new release would be better for speedruns. It only runs nice without v-sync though. It's turned on per default and a huge pain since it lags the game when holding inputs.

I tested my old continuous play glitched route and it was actually patched in the History Edition. I found another way to set it up though. And that one is even faster due to the instant loading times:

I also documented some of the more useful tricks in a separate video. I assume all of the things mentioned could be abused in a lot of missions:

Here is a glitchless speedrun of Anno 1602's (aka. 1602 A.D.) mission "To Each his Own", defeating all 3 enemy players in 5 minutes.