Sad
<- 123456789 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Talk to the Hand
Yeah, I think separating at all in the hope of "ghettoizing" runs or games that you don't see as "quality" is just not going to work. I do think some kind of category for free/indie games is probably a good idea, though.

That said, I'm a contrarian by nature, so seeing people all pissed off about YHTBTR is, to me, just another reason the run should be uploaded as quickly as possible. Preferably in its own update. Smiley
Quote from lag:
No, it isn't a good game. It's too short, trivially easy, has boring graphics and sound and no plot. It's a bad game by any measure I can think of. It's also not fun.
that's not the point though.

seriously though, my gripe with this game is that it is so along the lines of a game that any dude that has programmed for a while can make, that i'm just thinking of writing a game even shorter than this, and speedrun it, to see when people will say NO, and when they'll say yes.

a little shorter each time.

also for the dude saying there's a lot of people for putting up this game on here... you and 5 more people are not a lot.
sda loyalist
Quote from Thanatos:
that's not the point though.

I know. But, as we are a website that accepts videos of games being played quickly, and this isn't a game...?
we have lift off
Quote from Thanatos:
i'm just thinking of writing a game even shorter than this, and speedrun it, to see when people will say NO, and when they'll say yes.

Seriously doubt you will bother.

Quote from Thanatos:
also for the dude saying there's a lot of people for putting up this game on here... you and 5 more people are not a lot.

Didn't realise a proper poll had been made, did you even look through the thread and count all the people in favour of it?
Haters gonna hate
Been watching this thread for a while, finally decided to weigh in.

Quote from lag:
[. . .]and this isn't a game...?

How is it not a game?  You can move, jump, shoot, collect items, and have choices to make.  Depending on how you do at these things, you can win or lose.  It's a game.  Not a deep game, granted, but a game all the same.

And I really don't get all the controversy here.  No, this won't be mentioned in any of the "What's the best run?" threads or anything like that, but it's still a game getting the crap kicked out of it as quickly as possible.  That's kinda what we're looking for.  This run has execution, and even some route planning if you want to reach a bit ("you mean it's not faster to walk across the bottom of the chamber first?"). Smiley

Long story short, it's going up.  The haters here might as well get used to the idea.

Quote from ZaibirQuild:
Quote from stanski:
this needs to be on a seperate list in the back corner of this site where no one can see shitty games like this.

^
That

And yes that goes for all freeware/flash games, just for the sake of consistency then...

I like the idea of flash/freeware getting it's own search heading on the game list, but it wouldn't be to shove it off in the corner, just another search criteria.  I don't think a separate game list for titles the masses deem "shitty" is going to happen any time soon.

Quote from Emptyeye:
That said, I'm a contrarian by nature, so seeing people all pissed off about YHTBTR is, to me, just another reason the run should be uploaded as quickly as possible. Preferably in its own update. Smiley

I like this idea, a lot. Smiley
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Breakdown:
Depending on how you do at these things, you can win or lose.  It's a game.

Actually, you can't lose.
Haters gonna hate
Well that makes the game a little lamer than I thought it was then.
Just call me the cynicism machine
Quote from ZenicReverie:
Actually, you can't lose.

You also can't win, because you're playing the most useless "game" in a long long time.
Quote from Breakdown:
I like the idea of flash/freeware getting it's own search heading on the game list, but it wouldn't be to shove it off in the corner, just another search criteria.  I don't think a separate game list for titles the masses deem "shitty" is going to happen any time soon.

Agree strongly with this. I'd rather YHTBTR didn't get accepted at all because it's creeping too close to 'push X to win' for my liking, but there are plenty of good, speedrunnable freeware and flash games and we've already accepted some extremely good freeware runs (Iji!) which don't deserve to be shoved into some obscure corner for crap stuff. All runs should get the same treatment once they get accepted. Incidentally, I'm opposed to the idea of ironically giving the game its own News post for exactly the same reason.
we have lift off
Quote from ExplodingCabbage:
Quote from Breakdown:

Agree strongly with this. I'd rather YHTBTR didn't get accepted at all because it's creeping too close to 'push X to win' for my liking, but there are plenty of good, speedrunnable freeware and flash games and we've already accepted some extremely good freeware runs (Iji!) which don't deserve to be shoved into some obscure corner for crap stuff. All runs should get the same treatment once they get accepted. Incidentally, I'm opposed to the idea of ironically giving the game its own News post for exactly the same reason.

If it goes up it's not like you can just have it appear on the site like an embarrasing secret you're too afraid to talk about. If it goes up it needs to be treated the same as every other run. Clue (sorry for continuing to bring it up) is push x to win essentially, I'm amazed there was nothing like the controversy when that was accepted and now for a game that actually has gameplay everyone is acting like this crosses the line. Admins have already decided there is no line, if someone literally makes a game just to take the piss it surely won't be accepted but any freeware game out there at the moment probably will.
Clue does have gameplay though, even if that isn't completely obvious from the 3 second run, Clue is still a "proper" game.
YHTBTR on the other hand, is equivalent to a single stage from a game like N +. Sure it has running, jumping, item collection, etc., but at the end of the day is that enough to make it a "proper" game, rather than what seems to have been made just to get a few laughs.
we have lift off
Quote from Xioden:
Clue does have gameplay though, even if that isn't completely obvious from the 3 second run, Clue is still a "proper" game.
YHTBTR on the other hand, is equivalent to a single stage from a game like N +. Sure it has running, jumping, item collection, etc., but at the end of the day is that enough to make it a "proper" game, rather than what seems to have been made just to get a few laughs.

I know the board game version of the game which obviously does have gameplay, but the run doesn't have gameplay the way it's played, you just keep pressing 1 button! Just because your guess isn't always right doesn't mean it's not just "push x to win".

YHTBTR is a game with a start, a boss fight and a proper ending; just because anyone can finish it doesn't mean it's not a proper game. If someone had just played through it and submitted then I would argue for rejection but this run is optimal and not as stupidly easy as "pressing x to win" and also not as easy as everyone is making out.

How about all the people saying they could get this run in 2 minutes and keep arguing for how insultingly easy this is actually run this and get 0:33 and then report back with how long it actually took you.
sda loyalist
We don't need to compare this to another run on the site to decide on its rejection.
Haters gonna hate
Quote from lag:
We don't need to compare this to another run on the site to decide on its rejection.

Nope, the verifiers took care of that, and they didn't reject it.  Again, it's going up, haters have to deal with that fact.

And seriously, I'm not going to give this its own update, but the thought of such a thing does greatly amuse me.
There's a word for that
Haters gotta hate
Quote from Breakdown:
Nope, the verifiers took care of that, and they didn't reject it.  Again, it's going up, haters have to deal with that fact.

One of us did (me), and one of us also didn't accept or reject it, so there is still grounds for people to show popular support for the one reject verification.  Even still, 60% accept, 20% reject, 20% no confidence is not a great track record to begin with.
Haters gonna hate
Who's the no confidence guy, verifier 2?  If so, the whole reason he says he's hesitant to accept was he wasn't sure we accepted flash runs or not and nothing at all to do with the quality of the run itself.  I'm not sure who else you can mean, maybe #5 since there's no clear accept or reject, but he talks up how the run can likely not be improved by a whole second, so if that's the case you're really reaching there.  I think you know full well we're for all intents and purposes looking at a 80-20 split here, and there's plenty of runs up that have gotten that result or worse.

Again, it's going up.  No one said you have to like it, but it's going to happen.
I don't like it.  It's not going up.  Sorry.
Weegee Time
Quote from Zurreco:
I don't like it.  It's not going up.  Sorry.

If you don't like it, there's the door.  Don't let it strike you unconscious on the way out.  I really don't feel like dragging any more bodies around tonight.
I'm just trying to impress you.
Quote from ridd3r.:
How about all the people saying they could get this run in 2 minutes and keep arguing for how insultingly easy this is actually run this and get 0:33 and then report back with how long it actually took you.

I have yet to see the run, nor did I have a proper timing mechanism, but I was able to do what I could determine as a flawless run (jump to miss the corners on the way down the hall, waste no height jumping up the stairs) on my fourth attempt. Even if there's some technique I overlooked, there's no way 33 would take more than a half hour of retries if I didn't already hit it. To think that this run might go on the front page next to the Blast Corps runs I spent triple-digit hours on is pathetic and insulting Sad

disclaimer: I loved the Clue run and thought it was clever
Edit history:
Riskbreaker Y: 2010-02-09 11:29:14 pm
berserker status
The amount of time spent recording attempts has no bearing on the quality of a run.  The quality of the run speaks for itself.  I spent a grand total of 6-7 hrs. on my Paperboy run and it's practically unbeatable (good luck getting less lag).  While I understand your sentiments, Peaches, it's insulting to TheVoid to regard his efforts as pathetic or subpar; regardless of the amount of time he spent doing this run.

Personally, I couldn't care less whether this run is posted up or not.  But the fact that there are so many people here with their panties in a knot makes me take a contrarian stance merely out of spite:  GO GO YHTBTR!
I'm just trying to impress you.
TheVoid could have spent years on this run and I'd still think it's lame because I can get a comparable time within a few attempts. It's not insulting on TheVoid's part, I just don't think the game lends itself to be notable speedrun material. By this point in the thread my opinion has essentially been covered by some post or another, but I might as well say from a newcomer's perspective, that this is totally opposite to what attracted me to SDA in the first place, and I wish I was around to be a verifier and reject it.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from PEACHES_:
Quote from ridd3r.:

I have yet to see the run, nor did I have a proper timing mechanism, but I was able to do what I could determine as a flawless run (jump to miss the corners on the way down the hall, waste no height jumping up the stairs) on my fourth attempt. Even if there's some technique I overlooked, there's no way 33 would take more than a half hour of retries if I didn't already hit it. To think that this run might go on the front page next to the Blast Corps runs I spent triple-digit hours on is pathetic and insulting Sad

disclaimer: I loved the Clue run and thought it was clever

It's odd that your reason for disliking a run of this game would apply to the Clue run, but you actually like that one. I don't understand why a close field of times should make a run less likely to have a place here? I think it's pretty strong that 33 seconds is the limit for this game, and since that's been reached, why not host a run of it? It is the fastest this game can be completed in measurable time. For those that continue to say it should be rejected because you could get a close time, would counting the frames change your minds? At least then you could spend hours getting 33.56 trying to match 33.50? (frame numbers pulled from thin air)
Yes, we get it, this is a waste of time, but at least it's a short one. As Breakdown said, this is going up no matter what. Since the line is now drawn, let's just hope people are sensible enough not to submit a run for a game that comes even remotely close to the level of futility of this one
sda loyalist
You are more optimistic than I, NN.