--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

破 Game () (flash) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Reject

Reason: The submitted run is a good first effort with a lot of good intentions and generally well played. However, for such a short run, even minor mistakes need to be kept to a minimum. The run contains a few too many execution mistakes and there are some route improvements still left to implement.

https://queue.speeddemosarchive.com/verificationfiles/2332/

This run will be available for a month. After that these link(s) will no longer work.
Thread title:  
Run Information

破 Game () (flash) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/flashgametaiwan-20210411/Po%20Game%20Speedrun.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
This game can be played via Flashpoint.
So I think this run is probably not quite ready. I'm looking at 3:55 where the runner makes several attempts at a particular strategy (jumping over the thing), then goes for a backup (?) of glitching through instead. In a run this short, you just have to choose the faster strategy and hope it works out. The rest of the run is very confusing: I think the game is trying to be that way. So you have to go through several screens that look like you've started a new game? And you have to play through what look like the same screens several times in order to reach the true ending? Geez...

The mouse cursor showing is okay in this case because it seems it's required to use the mouse to make progress in that one part... in fact it's required that the cursor is seen in this case. Ideally, you could still move it off the screen at times when you don't need it. That's an acceptable compromise for a slightly better viewing experience I guess.

Looks like you start the timer when you start moving in the first screen? That's not a standard way to time runs. :/ Hmm... I tried to download Flashpoint and get this game running but it didn't start. I don't know if I want to start wrestling with it. Something to do with Avast Anti-Virus looks like. I wanted to see if I could reach the target at 00:12 in just two jumps. And at 00:20, why not just fall off the center platform instead of taking another jump? 1:03 there's hesitation costing time. 1:10: why can't you fall directly into the target instead of jumping off the side of the chute first? Is it easy to miss the next target (fall off)? 1:18: It looks like you can jump over to the second dot in one leap. 1:37: This is a big time loss, not getting this skip. It looks like it's maybe okay to jump once in preparation (to set up the jump towards the right) but you definitely have to get the skip for such a short run. 1:56: Why do you land on the 30 instead of falling into the gap?

2:06 so here the only way to make progress is to fall off there (instead of on the left side of the sequence of jumps)? This is where it gets really confusing. What happens at 2:22? It's like it suddenly leaps from one screen to a completely different one.

3:27 - This is too conservative for such a short run. Need to keep going full speed ahead.

And yeah, 3:55 I already mentioned. Gotta go for the glitch, which looks much faster anyway. Did you try to find other places where you could do that BTW?

I'll wait for some comments but I have a feeling this isn't quite ready yet.
Okay, got it working... Looks like when you start this game up, it goes directly to the view shown at the start of the video. If you go to the game over screen, you can click on "next" (or looks like ENTER will do the same) to get to the same screen again. That's when time starts, not when you start moving, because you already have control at that point.

Okay, having played it myself, I have more sympathy for the runner. It's actually quite easy to fall into the gaps between characters, and the physics are quite primitive and make it easy to lose a jump. I think that's largely because the square that you control is kind of constantly bouncing around on a micro scale, so it's fully possible it's actually in the air even though you've just hit a very tiny bump.

Urm... so a part of the confusion here is... it looks like after you've made it sufficiently far, the game unlocks a shortcut to get back to the later screens. I don't know which exact level causes it to be unlocked. That's what causes the second screen to be different after the restart. And if you hit the Z key in the new second screen, that's when the game sends you through the shortcut. That's what we're seeing in the run too... So that's weird. We obviously can't have two categories with and without the shortcut, unless the rest of the game is different. I didn't make it that far. The game's description says "the continue option is broken since it takes you to a specific level only"... so it's supposed to take you as far as you've ever made it I guess.

Looks like hitting ENTER takes you straight through the first screen. Since that option is given, I guess it should be used too? And it remembers your progress if you quit and restart. I think probably the continue option should not be allowed in a speedrun as that's really no different from reloading a save file or something. Unless, again, the rest of it plays out differently. And probably we should agree that the game should only be run from a state where the continue screen has started to show up since otherwise you might have to reinstall it or something to make it reset.

00:45 - This screen is possible to clear fairly easily by going through the characters instead of around. Simply holding down LEFT seems to work most of the time.

So after messing with the game for about an hour, I can say with confidence that this run isn't that great by SDA standards. The runner doesn't seem to remember whether they need to go left or right after some of the targets. There's a fairly large number of mistakes, though I can see it's also not that difficult to get trapped (you can actually get trapped in the bear trap! but can be avoided with careful positioning) or lose time in various parts kind of randomly. Still, the run is far far too short to allow this many mistakes and lack of optimization. Need to think about strategies and execution more, memorize the game very very well, and wait for an attempt where all the major timesavers are implemented. It's kind of interesting for such a simple game so I'm hoping we'll see a better run in the future. If you want to keep trying, I can try to give more feedback...

reject for now
Formerly known as Skullboy
I played around with the game for a bit too.
Technical stuff: The game has no audio as far as I can tell so audio is fine. As for video, the runner's overlay and timer are on the screen. That's ok if they can be cropped out.

This run could use some work. It's too short for the errors. I'd really like to see some comments about the game and run and how things work. Maybe there's a map out there or something.

Reject. Run the game through a bunch more and try again.
Decision posted.