1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

The Operative: No One Lives Forever (Any %) (Segmented) (Easy)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
It's been quite a few years since I last played through NOLF so I'm not up to speed on the various skips and tricks, but I'll try to give a higher level overview.

Audio / Visual:   Both sound and graphics quality are high and the FPS is steady throughout all the videos.  It's nice to see the old lithtech games still can be made to look good.

Gameplay:  Most of the missions are basic "Get from point A to B" affairs and the runner clearly has practiced the routes to get there in the shortest possible way.

Stealth is safely ignored except on a couple of areas where setting off an alarm will fail the mission. Most optional enemies are dispatched along the way but not at the cost of time. The runner also seems to have had good luck with the game's boss fights.

Clever use of gadgets and going out of bounds help skip over large sections of some missions. The only area that looked a bit rough was in "Alpine Intrigue" mission with the snowmobile going out of bounds on the mountain.  It's hard to tell which deaths in that segment are intentional, but hopefully the runner will provide a commentary explaining what is going on.

Cheating: No sign of cheating noticed.

Decision:
Accept

Quote:
Watching a run of this game is marvelous, it's got everything a good speedrunning game needs - clipping, OoB tricks, grenade jumps, tricking the objective detection, death abuse, enemy AI abuse, and smart use of the weapons and items available.

The only section that seemed fairly unclean to me was the sniping section in Misfortune in Morocco; though it doesn't really matter.
It's a shame the last 2 stages seem so anti-climactic to the run.

To the verifier before me, I'm pretty sure the deaths are intentional, to me it seems like the runner uses it to either spawn the next section of the level or move the snow mobile further ahead; which is also why he gets off and on the vehicle a couple of times. Or, well, there's no way to get through those mountains without deaths.

In any case, this is definitely an accept.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'Warepire' & 'ymh!'
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Warepire: 2013-10-10 05:24:09 pm
Warepire: 2013-10-10 05:20:58 pm
Heavy Metal Powered
Thank you everyone, this is a glorious day! Finally there is a run of NOLF on the site, well, at least when it makes a site update.

To verifier 2: I am not proud of that sniping, but that level is very hard to concentrate in after the 50th or so attempt, it's just so monotone. And even perfect attempts (sniping wise) had to be scrapped because of bad patterns in the next scene as  the RNG is global. Even then, the sniping sections are on a timer, so nothing of it really matters.
First off thanks to the verifiers.

About the deaths in Alpine Intrigue:
Taking that route without dying would require slowing down a lot. Using the snowmobile in such a terrain makes downfalls really unpredictable, and since they're most likely lethal all of the time, I didn't want to take any chances; the setup is extremely difficult, even for a segmented run.
So the deaths are not really intentional because I didn't hope for them to happen, but it's fairly sure they will happen, and for that case I just wanted to play it safe.
Receiving 0.5 second penalties for quick-saving is still faster (and safer) than going slow.

The reason I sometimes go off and on the vehicle is because there are brinks you can only jump over but not pass over with the vehicle.

Best regards
Heavy Metal Powered
For those who are impatient, I prepared a playlist on YT with the run:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1A0BD7E4D2B312AC
Quote from ymh:
First off thanks to the verifiers.

About the deaths in Alpine Intrigue:
Taking that route without dying would require slowing down a lot. Using the snowmobile in such a terrain makes downfalls really unpredictable, and since they're most likely lethal all of the time, I didn't want to take any chances; the setup is extremely difficult, even for a segmented run.
So the deaths are not really intentional because I didn't hope for them to happen, but it's fairly sure they will happen, and for that case I just wanted to play it safe.
Receiving 0.5 second penalties for quick-saving is still faster (and safer) than going slow.

The reason I sometimes go off and on the vehicle is because there are brinks you can only jump over but not pass over with the vehicle.

Best regards

Hi there!

Cool run. One of my favorite games. Smiley
It's interesting you highlighted this level, because after watching the speedrun this is where I noticed a significant room for improvement. (probably.)

Since I already commented on youtube I'm just going to paste it here:

I think there's potential for one significant improvement on Alpine Intrigue sc4, by using the floating vehicle glitch. (Found by this guy: I think it might spare a minute or even more. (on second look it's probably less)

It works with the snowmobile too. Which I used to get over the fence:

I was trying to go through the game without suffering any damage. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out anything for the poison gas chamber in Indomitable Cate Archer sc2...

Anyway I also went straight to the gondola station just for fun. Except for one guy all of them are in a catatonic state. Smiley

You could just go straight to the gondola station after getting enough height with a bump or two. And get off with the quicksave exploit.
Quote from avada:
[...]

Hey Avada,

I really wasn't aware of that floating glitch. If I understand it correctly, for it to work in Alpine Intrigue you need to use the ladder on the tower behind the electric fence. That could indeed have saved some time.
Thanks for pointing that out and cool to see you're interested in NOLF Smiley

About the poison gas chamber, what about the usual way of using the belt buckle ? You shouldn't be taking any damage that way.
Edit history:
avada: 2015-01-14 10:48:53 am
Quote from ymh:
Hey Avada,

I really wasn't aware of that floating glitch. If I understand it correctly, for it to work in Alpine Intrigue you need to use the ladder on the tower behind the electric fence. That could indeed have saved some time.
Thanks for pointing that out and cool to see you're interested in NOLF Smiley

About the poison gas chamber, what about the usual way of using the belt buckle ? You shouldn't be taking any damage that way.

Cool. Also you can't damage yourself by crashing while you ride it this way, if memory servers.
The ladder is the only way I know of to initiate this glitch, but it works every time. You stay in some sort of float state as if you were still in the ladder. I don't think up/down hotkeys for ladder walking work. (Though I don't remember trying.)

I never could turn the gas off fast enough to not loose health... Or can you just run away? It's been a year since I last played I don't remember that part very well. If possible I might have tried that one time in one of my several playthroughs but didn't succeed without loosing health.

PS: Aren't there any sharks on easy mode on the dive scene 3? I didn't even see one, not even for a split second.
Edit history:
ymh: 2015-01-14 11:44:38 am
If I remember correctly, once you're out of the chamber and above it you can't take any poison damage. Once you're in and the door closes, the guards start talking and only after a while the poison flows. There should be enough time.

There are sharks in The Dive scene 3, Warepire just takes a route where you don't encounter them that easily. I'm gonna ask him.
Heavy Metal Powered
Hi Avada, glad that you enjoyed the run!

That's a very sick glitch there that you found, a shame that we didn't discover that in time when we made the run, it will probably save a nice bit of time in Alpine Intrigue S4, along with making it easier.

And to confirm the The Dive S3 sharks thing, if you take that route and go about the same pace as I did, it's highly unlikely that you will encounter the sharks.
Edit history:
avada: 2015-01-14 03:05:34 pm
Quote from ymh:
If I remember correctly, once you're out of the chamber and above it you can't take any poison damage. Once you're in and the door closes, the guards start talking and only after a while the poison flows. There should be enough time.

I was just doing attempts. I can get to the upper level but I still get damage. Only if I'm above still on the diagonal bulletproof glass I don't receive any damage, but I can't do anything from there besides getting stuck sometimes. If I go out the door and even at the place where the guards stand I still get damage, however illogical it is. With some luck I can shoot them without getting hit but I can't disable the gas in time.

Quote from Warepire:
Hi Avada, glad that you enjoyed the run!

That's a very sick glitch there that you found, a shame that we didn't discover that in time when we made the run, it will probably save a nice bit of time in Alpine Intrigue S4, along with making it easier.

And to confirm the The Dive S3 sharks thing, if you take that route and go about the same pace as I did, it's highly unlikely that you will encounter the sharks.

Well, maybe next time if/when someone makes another speed run it gets used. Smiley
Edit history:
avada: 2015-01-14 04:05:18 pm
I made a (lame) video doing the whole thing for demonstration:

It's pretty hard to navigate. At first it's hard to get elevation, then you get too high and barely see anything. But I managed to land inside at least.
Something else:
It's weird that on Tenuous Lead Sc1 if you get in without turning the valve, there's no steam blocking the way to Goodman, but he guards are talking about it. And it's even possible to get in without a glitch if you come back with a zip cord. Still doubt they intended it this way. It skips most of the level...
Edit history:
avada: 2015-01-18 09:50:17 am
I imagined that the sleeping gas would work just as well or better as the stun gas for Man of Influence sc1. But for some reason it doesn't work at all. Whenever I stunned the guard the blond secretary ran into the room and raised the alarm. Some sort of telepathic connection I guess.... I also accidentally clipped out of the room when trying to avoid the gas to disable the security system.
I don't know if sleeping gas works the same way. The blonde secretary is indeed weird sometimes. If you run in front of her like I do, she sometimes would raise the alarm, too.
Did you clip out the security system room on the right side ? Because I also had that happening often because of the chair.

That's a great scene btw and I'm glad I found this unconventional route that actually works.
Edit history:
avada: 2015-01-18 04:31:45 pm
Quote from ymh:
I don't know if sleeping gas works the same way. The blonde secretary is indeed weird sometimes. If you run in front of her like I do, she sometimes would raise the alarm, too.
Did you clip out the security system room on the right side ? Because I also had that happening often because of the chair.

That's a great scene btw and I'm glad I found this unconventional route that actually works.

Yes. The security guy was on the left and so was the gas, so I jumped jumped on the table on the right to get past.
I guess that that scene's just a bit glitched, maybe she sees through the wall.
Edit: It's doable if you knock her out first, even though it wears of by the time I get to the security room. (When I stayed behind it looked like she started to investigate or something)

It was similar  on Alpine sc2 when somehow they suddenly they realized I was there even though I was at the door at the start of the level at the top of the stairs. Which is totally blocked from view...
Huh. You can actually pass going on the gondola and jump off the snowmobile at the appropriate position. It's just hard to achieve because you can't see down.