--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Flip: 2013-09-13 01:44:10 pm
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends (Any %) (Single Segment)

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Brian 'Boxfat' Ringeisen!
Thread title:  
1-Up!
Run Information

The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/rnb/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by Sept. 13, 2013.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Edit history:
presjpolk: 2013-08-30 03:17:34 pm
HELLO!
You'd really have to be on goof gas to run this game.

Time for: The verification of Rocky and Bullwinkle, OR Boxfat strikes out?

The video's terrible but that's because we're pretty sure the developer had his young children draw up the art.  I don't know how to explain the music.

Technically the capture seems solid.  I'm not noticing any segmentation or evidence of cheating.

As far as routing it generally seems to be the idea is to be flying with Rocky or dashing with Bullwinkle, except for the occasional part where a high concentration of monsters makes that impractical, such as that desert area.

I'm sure there are little mistakes here and there but we hardly seem to stop moving.  Boxfat is surely kicking himself around 4:30 for how slow he took it there, but it looks like the camera keeps slowing him down there.

Tempted to reject for goof gassed music.  But seriously, the Goof Gas reverses your controls so it's understandably awkward there.

Accept
Not a walrus
This game needs to be shot and mounted on a wall. How the fuck did this mess come out in 1992?

Run's good though.

Accept.
Question to the runner: The tas rushes through more of level 4 and 5 with Bullwinkle. I can't see anything in your comments on why you decided to go with Rocky. Can you explain that? (and yes, I'm too lazy to play through the game to try those out sections myself...)
Edit history:
Boxfat: 2013-09-01 01:49:05 am
Boxfat: 2013-09-01 01:48:05 am
Arbitrary forum emu
Do you have a link to the TAS? I'm actually quite curious as to where they jump. I couldn't find the TAS myself.

Without having that as a reference, my answer is consistency and health. The controls are so terribly slippery that in level 4, the platforms in the middle are god awful if you aren't flying over most of it, and in level 5, it's just a giant endurance test and the goof gas is not very nice to Bullwinkle.

And at the very end with level 5 where it's just a buttload of goof gas and Natasha, the goof gas doesn't last as long on Bullwinkle, which makes it REALLY awkward to keep up with her because your controls keep swapping. And when I tried to savestate and find a way to charge through that room, I just couldn't find a way to avoid the goof gas.

So if there's improvement to be made by taking more technique from the TAS, I'd be glad to try again. The only comparison I really had after I started working on this was a run on Youtube that used purely Rocky.
http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6546&highlight=
The tas doesn't look very optimized (I think it's more like a concept wip), but some parts are different than your run, so there might be a few ideas to pick up. To be honest, I'm not gonna play through this game to test out what's doable and not (I played the game for a while  and I agree that the controls are absolutely rubbish). Before I'm making any verification comments, I'd therefore like to hear some more comments from your side if there are good reasons for not doing certain sections like in the tas (some parts are slower in the tas, so you obviously don't need to comment on those).
Edit history:
Boxfat: 2013-09-01 01:46:59 pm
Arbitrary forum emu
Ah, okay. I see what you mean.

Yeah, health is the main issue. I did a little savestate practice on level 4 to see if I could get it with a lot of charging at the start. It really depended on the bouncing enemies. Sometimes I'd have barely enough health to make it to the end of the stage (without getting hit by enemies in the forest like I unfortunately did in my 4:58), other times I'd run out of power well before taking Rocky's third leap. Also, I felt like I actually had to put more effort in stopping to switch back to Rocky when I wanted to go back to flying over the middle portion. That stop to switch characters felt like it costed about as much time as it saved. Flying over the middle is definitely necessary for speed - stopping to jump is super slow and risky.

In level 5, the beginning isn't worth charging through because the health refill doesn't take place until the very last room. I could probably put a bit of charging in, but I need some flight to safely get into the chest and over as many of the obstacles in the next room as possible.

In the last room, Bullwinkle can BARELY get past Natasha with careful charging and jumping, but the goof gas after is practically guaranteed to hit him. And since goof gas lasts for a lot less time on him, the controls get reversed and changed back to normal constantly. With Rocky, I can hold left to keep going right without having to worry about the time it takes to wear off and then randomly get hit by another one. Dodging the goof gas is not viable, I've tried a ton of different things. D:
Ok, thanks for taking the time to reply. As long as there is a reasonable correspondence between lessening the risk and the time lost, I think it's acceptable. The rest of the run looked good to me.

ACCEPT
It would make my day if we could get this, ET and Heroes of the Lance in the same update...
This doesn't even look like an NES game, much less one that came out more than a week after the console itself.  At least it's good for a laugh.  Accept.

Quote from ktwo:
It would make my day if we could get this, ET and Heroes of the Lance in the same update...

As long as we don't get a warpless or 100% Athena run to go in that update the universe should survive, so I approve of this idea.
Terraffirmative!
Yea, this one gets the bad game love. What a game.
Accept.
1-Up!
Decision posted.