The Adventures of Lolo 2 (ntscus) (nes) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'DonkeyKongGenius'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

The Adventures of Lolo 2 (ntscus) (nes) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/adventureslolo2-20151217/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.
Actually played this!

17:33 minor AV glitch

Sick run! TAS strats everywhere thanks to quantized movement.

Easily acceptable!
Thanks. Some of those TAS strats were a bit difficult. This may be one of the most technical runs I have ever done.
A/V: It's ok and certainly better than the current run. However, the recording is not 100% correct. There is some enemy flickering that I doubt comes from the game and the background and top row are also flickering or bobbing from time to time. The recording bug at 17:33 had actually been discussed before. I forgot to post about it when creating this thread. Anyways, it's small enough to be acceptable.

Gameplay: I've played through this game, but a long time ago and without speed in mind. With this submission, I took the opportunity to brush up on my speedrun knowledge of Lolo 2, so I've now watched Votava's run, the tas and this run level by level to see what has happened in the last 12 years. Well, apparently quite a lot... The new run is one of those that improves over the current run in every imaginable way. New techs, "glitches", routes and much tighter execution.

Even though most of Votava's runs are obsolete by a fair margin today, I can't help but admire his work. It just has to be put into the right context (minimal competion, more primitive emulator tools to practice and develop routes with and less help from tases etc). It wouldn't take a lot of work for anyone to just beat his Lolo 2 time with today's knowledge. It's therefore nice to see that the new run doesn't stop just there, but that a great deal of effort has been put into pushing the time as low as possible. Most room solutions are either same as in the tas or with minor modifications due to for example "impossible" enemy manipulations. Mistakes are few and far between and never costing more than a handful of frames. Overall, well done!

Accept!!! (Lolo 3 next?)
I was not planning on Lolo 3 because it is longer but since I have the record in Lolo 1 also, I did think about just doing the trilogy. Been focused on Mario Bros Arcade and speedrunning NES Double Dragon. Got to 12:36.85 the other day. Not sure if I could even do sub 12 let alone 11:27, but we will see what happens.
Decision posted.
Great! How long does it usually take for the game page to be updated?
Though I could easily do another run on Lolo 1 sometime in the future that will beat the time on SDA. I would be willing to do that for all of you.
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2016-01-07 09:53:16 am
On behalf of SDA I'd like to say all new runs are welcomed! I checked the speedrun.com tables for Lolo 3 and it says the record is 11 years old (!) and there's a TAS out that's 20 minutes faster for what it's worth. I know you know that...

What a big difference in run lengths between Lolo 1, 2 and 3 Cheesy

Oh and sorry the game page gets updated whenever your run has been published on the front page, which might take several months. If you were planning to record an audio commentary or the sort you still have some time before it goes into PRC.
I will keep that in mine LotBlind. What I mean is that Lolo 3 is over an hour, while Lolo 1 and 2 are more like 23-24 min. After messing with Lolo 1 again today I am confident that I can do 30+ seconds faster than what is on SDA now. So I think that I will commit to that over the next couple weeks. I need to get back into it and decide how I want to work the faster TAS strats into the run. Lolo 1 is by far easier in terms of execution. The problem that I would have with an audio commentary is that some of these boards go really fast and it would be difficult for me to speak so quickly, lol. Thanks for letting me know about the length of time.
If you can keep up this level of play, I'm sure it's going to be a treat to watch no matter what game you decide to take on next. :-)
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2016-01-08 11:35:52 am
I can understand why audio commentaries would sound comical at best Smiley hahaha. I mean I guess it'd have to be pretty selective! You'd almost have to plan it so you talk about more generic stuff that's not time-bound. But yes I know what you mean.