The Addams Family (ntscus) (nes) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'ktwo'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

The Addams Family (ntscus) (nes) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/AddamsFamily-20220918/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
A/V: audio was perfect for me, video is very clean as well.

Cheating: none.

Gameplay: everything in this run looks solid to me, even watching some sections back there are really no major time losses that I can comment on. Death abuse is certainly abused, and saves a considerable amount of time over the no death abuse run it seems + this run improves upon the old death abuse time by over a minute and a half.

Accept

P.S. that hover glitch is quite amusing Smiley
Decision posted.
A/V: The sound is mono, right channel only. Any ideas why? Will you re-encode yourself?

Gameplay: I'm very impressed with all the carefully orchestrated death abuse. And the way you tabulated all the money bag locations in the guide, which I this time decided to take a look at. The swimming mechanics, I wonder if they're similar in some other games too?

Music manuscript: Can you just change the location value in RAM before picking up the middle manuscript to all possible values to see if any do anything?

a belated
ACCEPT
Good catch about the audio. I've uploaded new encodes with fixed audio.

I haven't looked at the game mechanics in this detail of many games, but I've neither seen nor heard of other games using this kind "probability momentum". That doesn't really exclude much though, so there could definitely be other games based on the same mechanics. Especially other games by the same developer would be the first suspects. But on top of my head, using sub-pixels and then base the movement on speed and an acceleration parameter that differs for different areas seem overall more intuitive to me.

I'm not following your idea on what to test for the music manuscript. I assume you're talking about the middle one that I mentioned in guide?
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2022-10-08 12:12:05 pm
Manuscript: Yeah, you're saying the area (room?) you're in determines what happens when you pick up a manuscript? Is it possible to change the value that represents the room you're in right before collecting the "middle manuscript"? Does that give you enough of an idea what I mean? Or can you make it make the left and right manuscripts have each other's effects this way?
Ok, yeah, I think I see what you mean now. Yes, I think that would be one possible approach to find out more about the middle music manuscript. Personally, I'm "fairly" convinced it has no purpose. Not 100% certain, but certain enough that I don't feel like it's worth it for me to pour more time into investigating it. The conviction is also strong enough that it doesn't itch me like something that I absolutely need to find out.

It's also worth noting that the library is tucked into a corner of the mansion and you can only get so far from there in a limited amount of time. I feel confident when saying that I've been in all places you can reach before Lurch starts playing and I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary happen. Since handing a music manuscript to Lurch is an obvious and intended game mechanic, I would also think that someone somewhere would have stumbled on and noticed if anything changed. This might not be a popular game, but it's not completely forgotten either.

The three open questions I included in the guide (of which the middle music manuscript was one) were more for fun than with the expectation of something useful being found. Maybe it will spark the interest of someone to continue digging and find a definitive answer to these questions?