Sad
<- 1  -   of 53 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Quote from presjpolk:
Did Super Mario Bros. FDS have any differences, other than possibly sprites?  SMB was originally released for Famicom, then re-released for FDS, unlike SMB2 which was FDS original.

I only learned now that Famicom and FDS are actually different things.:o
I think the only difference is that the boot-up is longer and that the Minus World can be completed on FDS.
Edit history:
Strongfox: 2013-09-04 02:38:34 pm
Quote from blubbler:
Oh wow, Nintendo really can't get enough of this game.
Super Mario Bros.            for the Family Computer Disk System
That's in the list as the "Famicom version".
Super Mario Bros.            for GBA as a 20th Anniversary with a special edition
I read that on Wikipedia, but do you have any more info on this? What does special edition mean?
Super Mario Bros.            one of the trial games available in the "Masterpieces" section in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
I didn't include it, because you can't beat it before the trial runs out.
Super Mario Bros.            for Nintendo 3DS
In the list as "3DS version".
Super Mario Bros.            as Nintendo Mini Classic
Isn't that one of the GBA games in the list?

I'll add the rest to it.

Nintendo Mini Classics are a series of small LCD games licensed by Nintendo.

Family Computer Disk System is different then the Famicom version because the Famicom is a cartridge where the Family Computer Disk System is a floppy disk.

The only thing i can find right now about the GBA special edition is from 2 websites - http://www.gamespot.com/news/nintendo-puts-original-super-mario-on-gba-6077433 & http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/11302.shtml

EDIT: Found a few more Super Mario Bros. Releases.

Super Mario Brothers      For Nelsonic Game Watch  (Game watches/Wrist Watch Mario Game)

Super Mario Bros.            For YM-801 (Crystal Screen series/Mario LCD game)

Super Mario Bros.            For YM-105 (New Wide Screen series/Mario LCD game)
potentially, PAL could be faster than ntsc. but its ublikely to pull off all flagpole glitchws, but who knows? i. ntsc should not be compared with pal directly.
i have some awesome plans, but they begin with gwtting 4:57. I shall be one with the game.
Edit history:
Strongfox: 2013-09-11 08:46:59 am
Strongfox: 2013-09-11 08:46:10 am
Strongfox: 2013-09-11 08:44:51 am
Found a few more Mario ports/versions

Mario Bros. II -  Commodore 64 ~ Based on Mario Bros. for Game & Watch
Mario Bros. - Game & Watch Gallery 3
Mario Bros. - Game & Watch Gallery 4
Super Mario Bros. (special edition) - yellow-cased version of Super Mario Bros. that came in a plastic box ~ part number is YM-901-S ~ Game & Watch
Super Mario Bros. - For FamicomBox

Also you need to add the Famicon version of Super Mario Bros. because all you have listed is the FDS/FCDS version.
Is there a beginner's guide to speedrunning this game available anywhere?
Quote from Strongfox:
Found a few more Mario ports/versions

Mario Bros. II -  Commodore 64 ~ Based on Mario Bros. for Game & Watch
Mario Bros. - Game & Watch Gallery 3
Mario Bros. - Game & Watch Gallery 4
Super Mario Bros. (special edition) - yellow-cased version of Super Mario Bros. that came in a plastic box ~ part number is YM-901-S ~ Game & Watch
Super Mario Bros. - For FamicomBox

Also you need to add the Famicon version of Super Mario Bros. because all you have listed is the FDS/FCDS version.

Thanks, I added it. I think I'll make a KB article later, because that's easier to edit and won't get lost in the thread.
twitch.tv/ccaakk
Quote from willows:
Is there a beginner's guide to speedrunning this game available anywhere?

https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Super_Mario_Bros

Also recommend to watch andrewg's youtube vids
i think that should be updated because its a tasvideos duplicate info. Maybe I will update it for better use for cobsole runnerz
Edit history:
andrewg: 2013-09-11 08:08:03 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-11 08:07:56 pm
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Really, I will answer any and all questions you may have. I know most things about this game now (I think...)

So just so people know, I'm continually working on the warp and warpless runs for this. I have come close to some amazing runs the past few weeks when I haven't been streaming. The warpless run is still not nearly as optimized as I'd like. I think once I reach sub 19:10 times, I will submit to SDA.
Edit history:
andrewg: 2013-09-12 02:57:32 pm
Hi! I'm andrewg!

I always thought left+right was needed for the flagpole glitch. With perfect positioning, I could imagine the being possible, but it seems pretty unreasonable.

With perfect positioning: left for 4 frames, jump on 4th for 1 frame. Even if I got this in a run, I'd still have to do a perfect 4-2, so it seems pretty hopeless (but possible).
Quote from andrewg:
With perfect positioning: left for 4 frames, jump on 4th for 1 frame. Even if I got this in a run, I'd still have to do a perfect 4-2, so it seems pretty hopeless (but possible).

Why would you still need 4-2? If you save a framerule, you just need a good 8-4.
And can you intentionally hold A for 1 frame?
Edit history:
andrewg: 2013-09-12 03:27:04 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 03:23:00 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 03:22:14 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 03:21:55 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 03:17:32 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 03:16:23 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 03:15:03 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 03:14:24 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 03:14:14 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 03:08:43 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 03:04:50 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 03:01:44 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 02:58:07 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 02:55:37 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 02:53:15 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 02:50:26 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 02:45:16 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 02:44:06 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 02:43:44 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 02:43:21 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 02:42:55 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 02:38:29 pm
andrewg: 2013-09-12 02:37:50 pm
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Final Thoughts:

I will continue doing 4-2 the hard way with two backward jumps. If the bullet shoots at the right time in 8-2, I'm trying for the glitch. If I don't get the 8-2 bullet glitch, I will just try for a perfect 8-4. Doing the flagpole glitch directly is probably possible, but it's not happening in a run.
Is it faster to run in a straight line or to repeatedly jump while you run? Does jumping into objects (ie you're running, and you jump to hit a coin box above your head then keep running) make you go faster? Does falling off objects make you go faster?
Quote from willows:
Is it faster to run in a straight line or to repeatedly jump while you run? Does jumping into objects (ie you're running, and you jump to hit a coin box above your head then keep running) make you go faster? Does falling off objects make you go faster?

None of that makes a difference.
The only thing that matters is that you accelerate more quickly, when facing backwards. So the 4-2 wrong warp jumps and the walljump should be done backwards. Besides these tricks, holding right and B is good.
Oh and I edited the KB article. You might want to read that.
https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Super_Mario_Bros.
Thanks, yeah I read the KB article.
I'm having trouble getting the 385-380 down in 1-1. I asked about it in a livestream and I think the instructions I got were:
Once you fall about 2/3 of the way down start holding right and B - and keep holding them down for this entire area.
Jump so that you land on the platform as early as possible, for maximum acceleration.
Next jump so that you just miss the end of the platform and go smoothly into the pipe.*
And you should get the same coins as people (ie AndrewG) gets.
--
Is that right?
*I think this is where I have trouble. I can't seem to do this smoothly.
Quote from willows:
I'm having trouble getting the 385-380 down in 1-1. I asked about it in a livestream and I think the instructions I got were:
Once you fall about 2/3 of the way down start holding right and B - and keep holding them down for this entire area.
Jump so that you land on the platform as early as possible, for maximum acceleration.
Next jump so that you just miss the end of the platform and go smoothly into the pipe.*
And you should get the same coins as people (ie AndrewG) gets.
--
Is that right?
*I think this is where I have trouble. I can't seem to do this smoothly.

I hate this trick, I fail it more often than I fail 1-2.
It's also possible to hit the pipe at the top. It then looks like you bump into it and stop before going in, but as long as the timer says 380 you still have it perfect.
I'm not sure what is easier.
Edit history:
Strongfox: 2013-09-13 01:41:27 pm
I forgot to mention that there is also one more version that i found.

FamicomStation version of Super Mario Bros. - For SHARP FamicomStation
Edit history:
cak: 2013-09-13 08:02:47 pm
twitch.tv/ccaakk
It might be useful to have the 8-1 starman trick in the kb article.
edit: fixed
Would anyone participate weekly races in this game?
walrus
Oh man the history of this game.  So amazing.  And that flagpole glitch wow, like this run already isn't hard enough.