Smiley
Sad
<- 1  -   of 53 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Can someone give me a hint how to the flag pole jump in 8-1? I fail completely or end up 1 pixel too low literally 99% of the time. Sad It seems just timing the jump is not enough, you need to be in the right state of the running animation too?
Edit history:
cak: 2013-07-28 09:48:10 am
cak: 2013-07-27 11:59:40 am
twitch.tv/ccaakk
Yes...more specifically, I *think* it has to do with the enemies you stomp, but Andrew prob has a more definite answer.

edit: What I noticed in happylee's movie is that he walks out an extra pixel or so on the last platform, which results in being one pixel higher at the bottom of the flagpole, though the top position looks the same. My guess is it's in how many jumps you do, or how you time your jumps after the last pipe.

It's funny that an otherwise easy level is right on the cusp of a frame rule.
I just do the level the exact same way each time. I think jumping at the highest pixel on the flag MAY lose a frame rule. 8-1 is weird.
Yeah, in happylee's movie it looks like he starts falling down, but it doesn't matter if I use frame advance to test every possible frame either.
If I make a savestate before the jump in happylee's movie I can get the jump without problem. But I tried copying the enemy stomps from andrewg's movie and it doesn't work. There must be something precise that I am missing.
ive accepted that the game makes no sense. I think i understand things and then it turns out that i really dont.
Edit history:
cak: 2013-07-30 05:25:36 pm
cak: 2013-07-30 05:22:05 pm
cak: 2013-07-29 12:29:32 am
cak: 2013-07-29 12:28:50 am
cak: 2013-07-29 12:24:57 am
twitch.tv/ccaakk
It's hitting the starman block that saves a frame rule. 99% certain.
It affects the running animation.

EDIT: Btw, I've been doing a bit more research on 8-4. The first and fifth rooms are obviously unimprovable, and the fourth room can be played frame perfect. However, I think rooms two and three are going to lose frames almost by default, on the order of 5 per room. It would require crazy precision to do any better. So, 4:57.93097 (taking into account the granularity of NTSC video recording) is almost certainly the fastest feasible time. You could lose 4 more frames and still get a 4:57.
Quote:

Thanks, now I got my first perfect 8-1 run. Smiley I copied andrewg's enemy stomps, but not the jump against this block.
4:57 is crazy, but certainly doable. I think it will happen, but not for a while. My current time is probably as close as I will get for a long time.

Its almost not worth it to keep trying...
Quote from andrewg:
4:57 is crazy, but certainly doable. I think it will happen, but not for a while. My current time is probably as close as I will get for a long time.

Its almost not worth it to keep trying...

Well if cak's correct, you can get 4.57 and still have a about 4 frames to spare.  :-) 
Quote from blubbler:
Quote:

Thanks, now I got my first perfect 8-1 run. Smiley I copied andrewg's enemy stomps, but not the jump against this block.

Cool! Smiley Whats your goal?
twitch.tv/ccaakk
Quote from blubbler:
Quote:

Me too, just played it yesterday. I've done all IL runs on console except 4-2 (three backwards jumps is relatively easy, but two? ouch) and 8-4 (got 314 on emu).
Quote from andrewg:
Cool! Smiley Whats your goal?

I don't know yet. Below 5 min. would be nice, but I didn't try 4-2 and 8-4 seriously yet to know how hard it'd be.

Quote from cak:
Me too, just played it yesterday. I've done all IL runs on console except 4-2 (three backwards jumps is relatively easy, but two? ouch) and 8-4 (got 314 on emu).

Dito, the *only* things I need to get are this 4-2 strategy and the 8-4 walljump. Then I could start doing WR attempts with a one in a trillion chance. Cheesy
Though I play on emu all the time. I live in Europe and getting NTSC stuff seems troublesome.
Edit history:
cak: 2013-08-04 10:52:08 pm
cak: 2013-08-04 10:23:15 pm
cak: 2013-08-04 10:08:26 pm
cak: 2013-08-04 10:07:28 pm
cak: 2013-08-04 10:07:13 pm
twitch.tv/ccaakk
Quote from garik16:
Well if cak's correct, you can get 4.57 and still have a about 4 frames to spare.  :-) 

Current guesstimate is 9 frames to spare, with 1 frame lost in room two and 4 lost in room three. I guess it just depends on how long you've been playing.
getting tired of this failure. i feel like hanging up the towel once and for all
never give up
http://twitch.tv/Exisidis2
Quote from andrewg:
getting tired of this failure. i feel like hanging up the towel once and for all

Not trying to sound harsh, but might as well do it then if you feel that way. No point in suffering and constantly getting mad over it. Just quit if you want to.
Think about it this way - Your 4:58 is really damn good. It hits every frame rule and loses less than 0.5 of a second from a PERFECT run on the last stage - the amount of time speedrunners would be iffy about learning a new trick to save in almost any other game. It's closer to a perfect run than all but a handful of speedgames. If you were to say 'This is good enough' most people would agree.
Edit history:
cak: 2013-08-06 12:14:49 am
twitch.tv/ccaakk
4:57 is only possible because SDA lops off decimal places instead of rounding to the nearest second. Also, it's possible to get a 4:57 *and* a 314 on the timer. So there's no shame in seeing that 314 in the 4:58.14 run.

I'm considering trying for a 4:58, but only because I haven't played this game very much. If I had played it as much as you Andrew, I would reap the reward of being finished with it. You are the best SMB player, no doubt.
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Quote from cak:
You are the best SMB player, no doubt.

Also, while it sounds sad if you give up, I still see you coming back and blasting a 4:57, when no-one here is expecting it. Don't lie, you've done that before. Multiple times Wink
Smörgåsbord
Andrew, you are the man! Do what you feel is right Smiley
My advice: Take a break! Come back later, if you feel like it.
Edit history:
AdHoc: 2013-08-06 11:33:10 am
Andrew, bar any crazy discovery, you will remain the best SMB player in the world for human eternity, which already is quite a life achievement. And even if the thought of a 4:57 will always be itching, it doesn't matter, you're still the first and only.

Also: eventually scoring a 4:57 will not necessarily be of relief, on the contrary you could find it leaves a gaping hole in your heart :p

In any case, stay cool and as Svenne said, do what feels right.
4:57 or die trying, don't listen to them
thing is, Im just frustrated with everything. I want the 4:57 obviously, but i probably need to spend time away from the game (well, all games) until i can improve my life situation. As it stands, its absolutely horrible and i hate it. Also, i have extremely little free time now. While I love speedrunning, i really need to persue some other goals so i can speedrun and do other good things in the future. i hate that its becoming this way, but i NEED to change some things in my life, and that means playing less and working hard.
and im serious this time. Wish me luck.