List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
zallard1: 2011-08-11 04:02:42 am
zallard1: 2011-08-11 04:01:54 am
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Splatterhouse IL's completed so far

So, I'm actually thinking about speedrunning this game, or at the very least get the ball rolling on it. I feel like doing a new game+ run for this game, since it's alot more interesting to watch to me. Besides, the game doesn't even let you play brutal difficulty until you've beaten the game already anyways. Brutal is the difficulty I feel this game might as well be run on (I'll explain below).

Here are some general things I'm noticing about running this game:

• You should pretty much never ever need to use splatterkills on anything unless you really need to finish off something AND desperately need your blood meter filled. I don't think either of these should be a problem, even on the later enemies.
  • The fastest method of movement in general seems to be either running then canceling with a roll so Rick doesn't stop, or canceling with a jump. Not sure which one is faster in general, but both have their advantages and disadvantages when maneuvering around stuff. Rolling gives you more control, especially around corners, while jumping is handy if there's boxes and junk on the ground that you don't want to deal with. Jumping is also preferable when those prompts show up to tell you how to do moves, and you have to press A to continue. I tend to cancel with a roll since it feels faster and has way more control than a jump.
  • The differences between difficulties seem to lie in how much damage you take, like Coward difficulty means you have high defense, but Brutal has very low defense. It seems to not affect the enemies HP though, but I've only tested a couple of enemies in phase 1 so far. It would be pretty much impossible to tell apart difficulties if Rick never gets hurt by an enemy in a segment.
  • Splatter smashes should generally be used far more than splatter slashes, since while slashes will kill enemies instantly, the game won't count the enemies as "dead" until they fall down and dissapear. This is only important for times when the game won't let you progress untill all enemies in an area are destroyed, so they should only be used at the start of waves. Same goes for knives, although later you'll need knives to build your blood meter fast when they're your only weapon. Plus, splatter smash range is better for enemies that sneak up behind you.
  • Splatter smashes also have the extremely useful ability to hit some large enemies twice when fully charged!
  • When Rick has a weapon, I've found jumping and using a heavy attack right after seems to be the most useful. Not only does it have the fastest animation, but it also has the chance of instantly splatting an enemy against the wall (aka instant death), has amazing range that often hits multiple enemies, AND fills your blood meter VERY fast. Dismembering enemies when you don't have access to weapons should be done whenever you have no blood meter and several enemies to kill.
  • Berserker mode should pretty much never be used unless you're absolutely certain you need more than 6 splatter smashes to kill an enemy with a high amount of hp AND you're low on health. Miiiight need to use it against the mirror Ricks though; I'll test those fights out later.

I have a few questions on segmenting this game though. I want to segment it by phase (basically levels in this game), but each phase has something like 9 or more checkpoints that could also be segmented. However when I load that save, my health is completely refilled, any blood points I got after that save are saved, despite my necro meter remaining exactly the same before the save. Is that too inconsistent to segment with checkpoints? I'd think the blood points would be a huge problem for a new game run, but for a new game+ run, it probably shouldn't matter because you should have all the moves unlocked already anyways. Also, would the run be looked down upon if I decided to do phase over checkpoints?

Here's a rough new game+ attempt on Phase 1 that I've been messing with lately on Brutal difficulty. Not sure if anyone here has played this game at all, but if you have, could you give me any pointers to keep in mind the next time I try this phase? Like are there any general things that I'm doing wrong or missing? Maybe a faster combo I've overlooked? Or maybe my handling of enemy groups is flawed? Anything would be much appreciated!

EDIT: WIP removed for being obsolete.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Molotov: 2011-08-09 02:05:59 am
First I'd just like to say that I love you for giving this series attention. <3

I'll check out the video tonight, but it sounds like you've covered the things I was going to mention: Jumping Splatter Smash is pretty much the only move you'll ever use, Berserker sucks against everything except Mirror Ricks (unless you need the health refill/new arm for some reason), and jump attacks with a weapon/arm are great for blood refills. I remember playing around with some speed running on this game a while back and run -> roll definitely seemed more effective.

As for segmentation, I'm assuming an individual level run is the way to go. It's easier to manage and won't drive you completely insane with the awful load times.

(Sorry that I can't add anything useful at the moment.)

[Edit]: Wow, that video looked great. Other than a minor bump or two (that last guy before the eyeball switch), I don't even see anything to improve here. Guess I'll probably just end up as a cheerleader after all. Tongue
Edit history:
zallard1: 2011-08-09 03:58:53 pm
zallard1: 2011-08-09 03:38:29 pm
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Thanks Molotov! This series is a pretty fun one that doesn't get all that much attention. And yeah, the load times would drive me nuts for all these checkpoints, which is why I'm leaning toward IL's. That, and backing up the save and reloading it every time I need to re-attempt a part would be way too tedious for me. I'd probably be more into trying a SS of this game if it weren't for those load times though Undecided

Anyways, I look forward to any input you may have for this run! Cheesy

EDIT: Well, I've decided I'm going to beat the WIP above at least one more time before moving onto phase 2. I haven't been utilizing the range of the regular splatter smash on the last part before the boss.

EDIT 2: I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up hating this game by the end of this Undecided
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
No progress on improving my time as of yet (got like ten 7:44's and two 7:39's, but can't beat the 7:38)... but here's something I may need help with...

I suppose it was inevitable to run into glitches in this game. This one almost looks useful, but I couldn't leap over the door into the next room. I also have no clue if this could be replicated or not. All's I did was do a charged heavy attack, then normal splatter smash immediately after; you can tell if it worked by trying to walk and notice you're moving incredibly slow. If you have any spare time, could you maybe try this out with me Molotov? Would really be something if this glitch ended up cutting level times way down!
Edit history:
zallard1: 2011-08-11 04:19:34 am
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
I couldn't replicate the glitch today Sad

I ended up improving the WIP run by 7 seconds though! I think from now on, I'll just add my segments to the original post. I'll say that luck was on my side in this run. There's a few bits that seem to randomly take a long time loading, or will not initiate loading the next room until everything decides to disappear. Plus from my preliminary practice sessions on phase 2, there's the random eyeball "puzzle" that would insta-ruin attempts if I pick the wrong one. God, I can't fathom how hard Phase 11 will be with the 4 eyeball puzzle lodged in there, as well as just being a horribly long and difficult level on brutal difficulty already. This will be fun.

EDIT: Oh wow, I just figured out how you're "supposed" to do the eye puzzles. I don't know why I never noticed this before, but when you do a splatter smash (or probably any attack that uses your necro bar), you can see red symbols on the ground. You need to punch the eyeball that corresponds with those symbols. I can't believe this game had a somewhat challenging puzzle in it that made sense. Tongue
$15 per rant/allegory
Splatterhouse is a super fun game and I've just bought my own copy so I'll probably have some random notes within a few days.

I'm not envying you when you try the impaling dudes on spikes to open doors bit. I missed the higher spikes about 5 times each. I'll be interested to see if there's a good marker anywhere. I'll agree that New Game+ on brutal is the way to go. It's not too different from a New Game file either. Only new moves unlocked.
Edit history:
Molotov: 2011-08-11 01:14:06 pm
Yeah, the red symbols are kind of neat. I don't think I noticed it until Phase 11 myself. Probably used Berserker to get some health back and oh hey. Tongue

About the glitch though, I'm in the same boat as you. I tried for hours, but I honestly think it was just a random thing. Just to make sure, I've been doing this: jump -> fully charged punch -> uncharged Splatter Smash when I see Rick moving down. The weird thing is that I don't get a delay between hitting the ground and the Splatter Smash starting (like in the video). It's really frustrating to not be able to repeat such a cool glitch.

Flicky: I noticed that you can impale enemies with a Splatter Smash, so I'm not sure if that makes the whole thing better or worse. On one hand you skip the slow grab/walk/throw animation, but on the other, it's probably harder to get the right distance and angle. At least you don't have to deal with the questionable auto-aim though.

[Edit]: By the way Zallard, have you tried spamming uncharged ground Splatter Smashes instead during the introduction (I remember jumping stuff)? If you know what direction the enemies are coming from, it seems really fast. Bonus points for the fact that even if you miss, it still kills any moron who comes close to you. Actually, now that I think about it, wouldn't it be more effective than jumping Splatter Smash against weaker enemies? You still get the close range kills, so might as well kill some poor sap across the room too. Tongue
Edit history:
zallard1: 2011-08-11 07:46:02 pm
zallard1: 2011-08-11 02:26:55 pm
zallard1: 2011-08-11 02:26:40 pm
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Any notes you come up with will be greatly appreciated, Flicky Smiley

Hm, I didn't know that splatter smashes actually impaled enemies too. I'll have to mess with both throwing and smashing to see which is more reliable/fast. Also, this may sound silly, but I don't know how to do regular splatter smashes in berserker mode. I can do one as my 3rd hit in a Y combo, but that's not as fast as doing a jumping one.

EDIT: Oh man I feel so dumb, it's just LT+Y just like it is when you're normal Rick. I guess I thought your berserker moves were all mapped to your normal attack buttons when in berserker mode, so I didn't even try it. I'll test out the intro section and see if I get faster times on average. I think it only matters for the last couple of enemies though, cause they all just walk up to you anyways and they seem to die fast enough to where the next ones spawn right away. It's just you need the last ones dead asap so the game starts loading the cutscene.

EDIT 2: So far I've gotten an average of 57 seconds for the intro section using regular splatter smashes. I got something like 56.7 in the run above, so I'm thinking either I'm doing something wrong with the smashes, or it's not a significant enough attack to cut time off of that wave of enemies.
Edit history:
flicky: 2011-08-15 12:00:49 pm
flicky: 2011-08-13 07:24:10 pm
flicky: 2011-08-13 07:51:29 am
$15 per rant/allegory
Ok so just random notes from my playthrough, they'll all be edited here:

After playing again, a new game sounds like a very boring (and slow) run.

General: Throwing heads at bosses seems to do a lot of damage so if you have a section where blood is a little tight (ie, Phase 6 control room fight) then consider this. Tear Me To Pieces (the grab that tears off arms - Grab, Grab) is also very good for killing single enemies that have a lot of health.

Phase 2: The first spikes are easy enough to hit, you can stand in line with the red grates on the floor and just face them. Actually, same goes for the second one. Standing inline with the red grates is perfect distance. On the third set of spikes (the four surrounding a door) I managed to get it to open after only impaling three. All the stuff in the room was dead (including things in the openable door). I killed one of the little things because it was in my way then impaled the remaining three and the door opened. This could well mean that you can get through this area without having to impale anything and at the very least, impaling fewer. With a fully upgraded character killing everything is probably faster than throwing them. This could be a slight time-saver. Also, grates are definetely the key to impaling things.

Phase 3: There's cross of dirt that marks where to stand for the left impale and a wheel in the floor for the right.

~~General Note~~ As I was waiting for the fire on the sidescrolling bit in phase 4, it crossed my mind that with invincible roll you can probably just roll through all this. Actually, you can't do this...

Phase 6: On the lift/elevator section with the waves, a soul siphon will reach the entire phase of the arena and kill all the weak enemies instantly leaving on one Splatter move to kill the big ones. This seems fast and uses less necro meter to clear the waves. The big control room fight may require planning with blood limits though. Based on my quick go at it, killing one with the splatter then throwing a head at the other is a good way to deal big damage and keep the extra blood for the next bit.

Phase 7: I killed the boss here without needing to do the splatterkill. I'm unsure if that's possible for every boss but it seems likely that it is for single phase bosses. I just splatter smashed it.

Phase 8: I'm not 100% certain here but I imagine grabbing the shotgun for the Tetratoids would the fastest. There's fewer of them for start. Chainsaw is not a good option.

Phase 9: Breaking the bone pillars around the heart will probably be fastest in Berserker mode. It took me 5 splatter attacks which I'm sure would cost less blood to do in berserker mode.

That's all for now~
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Awesome, thanks for all the testing, Flicky. The usefulness of Tear Me To Pieces is so important, that I bet it'll be used for pretty much every phase in the IL table. About how much damage does throwing a head do, though? Are you talking about the "sub boss" enemies, or actual bosses? I also know for sure Phase 7's boss doesn't need a splatterkill 100% of the time as long as you have enough necro meter.

I'm gonna try to mess with phase 2 a bit more tomorrow and see if I can start finishing some attempts for it, just to get a benchmark going. I think since impaling shouldn't be a problem from what you're saying, the boss might end up being the toughest part of that phase, despite including a 2D segment. Fortunately, that 2D section seems pretty simple, with only like 3-4 instant death pitfalls.
$15 per rant/allegory
Quote from zallard1:
Awesome, thanks for all the testing, Flicky. The usefulness of Tear Me To Pieces is so important, that I bet it'll be used for pretty much every phase in the IL table. About how much damage does throwing a head do, though? Are you talking about the "sub boss" enemies, or actual bosses? I also know for sure Phase 7's boss doesn't need a splatterkill 100% of the time as long as you have enough necro meter.

Oh yeah, I guess they are sub-bosses.
I was having a ton of fun playing this game recently and I'm thinking I might pick up running this game since Parasite Eve makes my head hurt and Shinobi (PS2) is going to be the death of me from all the frustration.

So far I don't have much information to contribute, as I've only owned the game for 2 weeks and its all been stated so far; but here is the few bits of information I do have:
-I am not sure what causes this to happen but many times when you have a weapon and use it up, if you go into Berserker mode, when you come back out, you will have it again. I've done this with 2x4's, swords/cleavers, and once with the chainsaw. I'm not sure how useful a trick this would be for speed-running but I thought it was worth noting.

-I didn't have any capture devices set up but I was able to push one of the Whip-arms through the floor on phase 11 where there is that huge mini-boss infested area where there are several waves of Whip-arms and the final wave is 2 frog-dog things. From the area you enter there are a bunch of doorways on the left side from where you enter (one has a picture of Jen as a reference) and across the way is a walkway blocked off and more doors on that wall. I pushed the Whip-arm against this blocked off stairway with him pressed against it using a charge-run. I was really surprised when he just popped out of existence and the next wave of enemies spawned!

-In the very next area, there are the two eyeball switches it might be worth using the airwalk glitch to try and reach that upper walkway that is between those two doors, I know the switch unlocks the FIRST door, but its possible the second one isn't locked and it would save the 2 fights for the switches.

I will be testing things and start recording as soon as my new capture card is shipped and i put it in my computer. I hope this information is useful and relevant, as nobody has posted anything on this thread in a while.
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Oooh, you can regenerate weapons after use? That sounds really interesting. How reliable is it? The berserker animation is a tad long, but to be able to have a good weapon without ripping an arm off would totally be preferable, not to mention you get some time to tear enemies apart Smiley

Damn, wish I could've seen the mini boss fall through the floor, but oh well. Have you tried replicating the airwalking glitch at all? Aside from that one video, I've never been able to pull it off again.

Since this is essentially an IL table in the works, we could technically work together and piece a really nice run, along with some competition to push down times. Once you get your capture card, see if you can get a lower time than the 7:31.751 I posted above. If it helps at all, aside from the obvious visual mistakes, there are a couple of mishaps that I hadn't noticed until later.

-Finishing off the group of "weak" zombies with a move that destroys their bodies will begin loading the next room quicker. At 2:59 in my video, instead of a heavy attack, I should have grappled them both and smacked 'em together.
-At 6:53, I ran to the 2nd group of enemies to do a jumping splatter smash when I should have done a regular splatter smash from where I was standing after the cutscene.

I might as well explain why progress on the ILs kind of stopped on my end while I'm here. For one, I feel kind of bad when I move on to another level when I feel my first level is still improvable. I know that's kind of silly, but I just like it when in my head during practice for phase 2, I can reassure myself that "ok, phase 1 is totally great, now I can just focus completely on this." I've still tried to get that glitch to work again, because I really want to see some nice shortcuts emerge for this game, yet I've not been able to figure out why that glitch happened.

Also, when I was trying phase 2, I ended up having the most trouble on the boss. I kept running out of necro meter at times where I really need it. Plus, while I scoured youtube for strategies on the fight, I ran into this bizarre quick kill for one of the boss's forms. Go to 27:09 to see the part.

The combo he used didn't appear to be special, but I could be wrong; it's been a while since I played this phase. Anyone know what combo he used?
Bert = Too Stronk
That combo I'll definitely have to look into because it SEEMS normal but I'm not sure why its doing so much damage, that seems like the same as if you would do a running splatter slash (I forget the actual move name)
Old Iron Giant
Hi, I'm going to start routing this game soon and hopefully do runs somewhere along the line, all the advice here is a huge help and a great start Smiley

I'll probably toss all my notes here once I'm done routing, new game brutal which should be pretty vicious.
Edit history:
Deuceler: 2014-09-28 04:21:02 pm
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Would love to see your notes Altesisen if you have in fact done anything with this!

EDIT: I'm basing my interest in running this game solely off the fact it has Municipal Waste in it, and it's mindless fun. Good speed game!
Old Iron Giant
Haven't done anything, been to busy, then one of my cats died and I kinda lost the drive to do much of anything.

Maybe someone else around might give me the kick in the ass I need.

You can add me on Skype if you want I'm Alteisen Riese there and we can discuss stuff, I lack cap or streaming stuff so it would be nice if someone could get the run out there.
Edit history:
Deuceler: 2014-09-29 11:08:10 am
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Sounds good, I'll send you an invite

EDIT: There is more than 5 "Alteisen Riese" on Skype lol, mind just adding me? I'm Deuceler there as well
Anybody still have a route or strats for this run? Very interested in running this.