Sniper: Ghost Warrior (ntscus/pal/pc) (xb360/ps3/pc) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'ImEliteGlitches'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Sniper: Ghost Warrior (ntscus/pal/pc) (xb360/ps3/pc) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/sniper_ghost_warrior-v_IQ.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
Oh, this has been here a while now looks like. I think sometimes the system bugs out and new threads etc. notifications become slow. I will certainly take a look hopefully within the allotted time.
The inverted black-and-white menu is one of the strangest compatibility issues I've ever heard of. It's not really consequential for the run or viewing experience and we definitely don't discourage caution with modifications to the game files.

Otherwise A/V: Looks like you're not getting quite a steady 60FPS (video file says something like 57). Not a problem though I'm assuming the game targets 60.

Category: usually we mention the difficulty in the run categories if it's not the default. Looks like "normal" was the default but you went with "easy" so I'lve edited that into the run entry so it'll show on the game page.

Cheating: don't see any cheating other than all the OOB stuff.

Your comments have "loast last" which must be a typo. Also is it really "Raser" not "Razor"? I/we don't usually comment on run notes unless I actually can't understand what you're saying so I won't mention the other mistakes.

Last level: Is there a particular downside to going with the throwing knife? Is it not a guaranteed one-hit kill? I guess you just have one of those or what?

There is good evidence of you and other runners looking into various options and the execution looks difficult in places, especially when going to and moving around OOB. Also it improves on an existing segmented run. It's not quite flawless but still not difficult to give an

accept
Edit history:
ImEliteGlitches: 2022-07-25 06:18:54 am
ImEliteGlitches: 2022-07-25 04:54:49 am
Quote from LotBlind:
The inverted black-and-white menu is one of the strangest compatibility issues I've ever heard of. It's not really consequential for the run or viewing experience and we definitely don't discourage caution with modifications to the game files.

Otherwise A/V: Looks like you're not getting quite a steady 60FPS (video file says something like 57). Not a problem though I'm assuming the game targets 60.

Category: usually we mention the difficulty in the run categories if it's not the default. Looks like "normal" was the default but you went with "easy" so I'lve edited that into the run entry so it'll show on the game page.

Cheating: don't see any cheating other than all the OOB stuff.

Your comments have "loast last" which must be a typo. Also is it really "Raser" not "Razor"? I/we don't usually comment on run notes unless I actually can't understand what you're saying so I won't mention the other mistakes.

Last level: Is there a particular downside to going with the throwing knife? Is it not a guaranteed one-hit kill? I guess you just have one of those or what?

There is good evidence of you and other runners looking into various options and the execution looks difficult in places, especially when going to and moving around OOB. Also it improves on an existing segmented run. It's not quite flawless but still not difficult to give an

accept

To address the video quality, this run was recorded with the Windows Game DVR (causes the least performance issues), my usual recording software is dxtory. However, when I recorded this I didn't have another SSD to record to (I have my Windows installed on my Hard drive, game running on an SSD), so I recorded to the Hard drive, which generally isn't a good idea. If I attempt to run this again I'll be recording to my other SSD.

Regarding the typos, I must admit I rushed the comments; I was told that I could edit/clean them up at a later date - will fix those and anything else I find.

The throwing knife is a one-hit kill (and you start with 4 by default), however when I was practising that level I would often find that the throwing knife just didn't damage the guy, especially when starting that level a-fresh, so I used the sniper instead -once you load last save it's fine though.

This game is not an easy Single segment run; pretty much all the tricks/skips rely on spam-jumping which can be very random - and not getting the skips first or second try can lose you a run. In fact, I had a deathless run turn out to be slower than this (by 5s IGT) which I was very shocked by myself.
Edit history:
Worn_Traveler: 2022-07-25 11:35:59 am
Formerly known as Skullboy
A/V appears fine. No cheating detected.

I like to see how newer runs build off of older ones and this run is a good example of that. It beats some of the hosted segmented times while being a bit, but not too long in others. I wonder how long a single segment run would be if the second half went a bit smoother. Regardless, this was neat to watch. I'm thinking that a new batch of IL's might be doable soon if this run is any indication. Good job.

Accept.
Edit history:
ImEliteGlitches: 2022-07-25 12:18:59 pm
ImEliteGlitches: 2022-07-25 11:50:54 am
ImEliteGlitches: 2022-07-25 11:49:42 am
ImEliteGlitches: 2022-07-25 11:48:11 am
ImEliteGlitches: 2022-07-25 11:46:56 am
ImEliteGlitches: 2022-07-25 11:46:46 am
Quote from Worn_Traveler:
A/V appears fine. No cheating detected.

I like to see how newer runs build off of older ones and this run is a good example of that. It beats some of the hosted segmented times while being a bit, but not too long in others. I wonder how long a single segment run would be if the second half went a bit smoother. Regardless, this was neat to watch. I'm thinking that a new batch of IL's might be doable soon if this run is any indication. Good job.

Accept.

Glad you liked it. I've already recorded some IL segments that I'll submit later, I'm thinking of revisiting all the levels properly and optimising them a bit more, getting a better understanding of the different level triggers etc. So far, all improve off of Judgy's times, by a lot in some instances.

If all went well, no deaths, first-try skips, then this run could go down to a high-mid 35 IGT.

Also, the A/V quality should improve when I revisit this since I'll be recording with either Fraps or Dxtory, to another SSD.
Decision posted.
Feel free to mention the throwing knife glitchiness in your comments in case someone else is left wondering about the same. I guess we're used to thinking knife kills in this type of game are always guaranteed.

Yeah, I believe you about the inconsistency of those skips.
Done. Thanks for the feedback, LotBlind Smiley
Question: seems this game has some kind of expansion that adds a few weapons and another campaign. In case you know something about it, does it seem it would make a run with significant differences to run the base missions with the expansion installed? Asking to see if we should reconstruct the game page differently.
I'm not exactly sure what your question is. Does running the game with the expansion installed differentiate the base game experience? no; would it make for an interesting speedrun? I don't know; I played the expansion years ago, casually, and have never gone back since.
Let me try to be more clear what I'm asking and why: we're basically just trying to future-proof the gamepage a bit in case someone ever submits a run for the expansion. Depending how different the expansion makes playing the base campaign we could go with one of these options.

1) It's still almost the same: we might discourage runs of the base missions with the expansion installed if it only brings about trivial and uninteresting differences. The expansion should only be used for running the extra campaign, or possibly we'll have cross-obsoletions between base game w/ and w/o expansion. We'll put the expansion runs on the same gamepage.
2) They're made different in interesting ways due to whatever. We'll allow base mission expansion pack runs as a separate category and put them on the same page. There might still be cross-obsoletions.
3) There's some major changes like physics, enemy AI or whatnot: We'll put expansion runs on their own gamepage and there probably won't ever be cross-obsoletions.

I'm looking it up now – the expansion seems to change enemy AI. Makes them less likely to spot you apparently. I can't tell if that changes it in the base missions too or if it's contained in the expansion missions. Okay, seems you probably don't know either. We'll assume the runs all go on the same gamepage then.
Edit history:
ImEliteGlitches: 2022-07-31 02:53:45 pm
ImEliteGlitches: 2022-07-29 02:45:42 pm
ImEliteGlitches: 2022-07-29 02:45:00 pm
ImEliteGlitches: 2022-07-29 02:45:00 pm
ImEliteGlitches: 2022-07-29 02:44:57 pm
I mean, I've always had the DLC's installed while doing runs because 1. they're less than 1 GB each, and 2. it's included with the Steam edition by default after purchase - so idk. But they still seemed to spot me in ridiculous instances sometimes so I would say it has no impact on the base game. If you'd like I can do some testing to be certain but I wouldn't worry about someone submitting the DLC.
Okay, we'll assume we can ignore the expansion: either you run with or without it and we won't separate categories on that basis. The DLC missions can obviously be run in a separate run.