Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
RedArremer: 2016-09-17 01:53:31 pm
RedArremer: 2016-09-17 01:53:09 pm
RedArremer: 2016-08-21 12:27:57 pm
RedArremer: 2016-08-14 03:30:32 pm
RedArremer: 2016-08-14 03:08:11 pm
Hi everyone!

During SNES Superstars, the idea of making a Genesis/Mega Drive marathon came up. I've decided to take the initiative and put together an online marathon for everything Sega.

The idea is to have a marathon for games that were released for Sega consoles. Preferred are games that are/were exclusive to Sega platforms (so re-releases on newer gen consoles or PC are fine).
This includes all Sega platforms, so Master System, Genesis/Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast and Game Gear are all welcome! It's also appreciated if you can spread the word. If you know somebody who runs Sega games, tell them to submit their games. Smiley

The event is online only, and is currently scheduled to start on November 12, 2016, and go for as long as we have game submissions, or at most about a week. This will be broadcast on the Speedgaming Twitch channel.
We also still need people who can host/restream.

Schedule:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17y_y7XKOYrw2bxy3vLC1X5BCeG_PU8eppnJuS_6sYJ0

There's also a Discord I try to check in every day:
discord[dot]gg/QpfT2fM
(exchange the [dot] for a .)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them via PM here on SDA or on Discord and I'll get back to you, or tag me on Twitter @RedArremerSDA
Alternatively, Feasel has offered to be a contact as well. Smiley

Hope to see you around then!
Thread title:  
A few questions.

1) Any particular type of game that you're looking at or just any "sega" game

2) Is length an issue, are multiple categories an issue

3) One runner or races acceptable

4) Approximately when will the schedule be completed and finalized

5) Is everybody accepted for this or is there a process of narrowing the list

Thanks!

I ask because I could submit several times over but they are longer RPGs and well I don't want to miss the point of the marathon
Rad... They have taken me...
Can't answer for cuts and schedule completion. But as for genre, length, and category it's open to all games released for the above mentioned systems. Feel free to submit as much as you want, if you're concerned about cuts on multiple submission maybe note which you'd prefer to see make the list.

If there are multiple submissions of a game, it will likely need to be discussed between the event coordinators and those others that submit it in regards to races.

Correct me if any of that is inaccurate @Red
Edit history:
RedArremer: 2016-08-16 04:36:07 am
RedArremer: 2016-08-16 04:35:39 am
1) Any particular type of game that you're looking at or just any "sega" game
As GinTatsu said, anything goes as long as it was released for those aforementioned platforms.

2) Is length an issue, are multiple categories an issue
Length is no issue. Jiseed submitted several hour long Phantasy Star Runs, and Bowie submitted 6+ hours of Shining Force 2. For multiple categories, as GinTatsu noted, I'd prefer if you listed which one is the one you'd like to do more in case I have to cut one of them out.
That said, if you plan on submitting multiple categories of the same long RPG run, I might only pick one of them for variety's sake. Smiley

3) One runner or races acceptable
Races would have to be clarified with the runners first (if they wanna race at all, time zone stuff, etc.), and they should be around similar skill levels to make it interesting, but otherwise they're ok

4) Approximately when will the schedule be completed and finalized
September. Changes might still happen, of course, but that's the plan.

5) Is everybody accepted for this or is there a process of narrowing the list
Everyone is accepted for now. This marathon is mostly for fun. If we get to a point where things are a lot more expansive in terms of participation, I might have to cut some runs, but I'll try to see that every runner who submitted something gets at least one run.
Out of curiosity, is there a submission deadline of any kind?  I'm working on Sonic 2 as Knuckles and Sonic 3 & Knuckles (also as Knuckles) right now, but it will take a little time for me to have a good video for either.
Time to grind out that Chuck Rock for GameGear Tongue
Quote from AlecK47:
Out of curiosity, is there a submission deadline of any kind?  I'm working on Sonic 2 as Knuckles and Sonic 3 & Knuckles (also as Knuckles) right now, but it will take a little time for me to have a good video for either.

I plan on closing submissions some time in mid September and publish the schedule towards the end of it. I might extend it to early October if there's need for it.
OK, cool.  I hope to have at least some video for the runs I mentioned by then, so that should work out fine for me.
SEGA Junkie
Yeah, can't do those dates, sorry. Sad Hope it all goes great!

(Technically, "spindash-a-thon" would permit Illusion of Gaia Wink )
Edit history:
RedArremer: 2016-09-03 01:32:24 pm
RedArremer: 2016-09-03 09:59:18 am
Hello everyone.

First of all, the most important thing, is that I plan on closing submissions on September 17 give or take (so ~2 weeks), and then work out a schedule within the days following. Feel free to submit even if you don't have videos to show stuff. So if you plan on submitting a game, do it now. You can always send me a video of it here on SDA or over Twitter.
For the schedule, if I put you into a timeslot bad for you, let me know, and I'll see what I can do.

Second, also quite important, I still would appreciate anyone who can volunteer with the hosting/restreaming. Some of the longer runs we'll probably outsource to the runners themselves (looking at you Shining Forces and Jiseed), but there's still plenty of material otherwise.

Last, people seem to be less than fond of the name Spindashathon, so I'm giving it some thought for changing it. For now, I'll keep the name as such, because I don't wanna run through all of the places and change the name again. Tongue
I will announce the finalized name when I close submissions, but it's very likely going to be SegaSpeed or some variation of it. If anybody has different suggestions, feel free to do so.
Rad... They have taken me...
SegaSonicSuperSpeed'stravaganza Tongue
Edit history:
RedArremer: 2016-09-17 02:04:36 pm
Hi everyone!
Here's the preliminary schedule for the SegaSpeed marathon:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17y_y7XKOYrw2bxy3vLC1X5BCeG_PU8eppnJuS_6sYJ0/edit#gid=0

If you have any comments, questions, or cannot make the suggested time, please let me know. I'll try to rearrange the schedule accordingly. I rounded some of the estimates up (and didn't count the 30 second Ys run into the schedule heh) to save myself headache with working out the times. If I made a mistake let me know.

I tried getting everyone who submitted a run in the marathon, except for the 2 runners of Shining Force 1, where I picked the current 1st placed on speedrun.com. I'd like to invite the other runner who submitted SF1 to provide commentary if he would like to, though.

I decided to not do races this time, since I'm a bit nervous about this being my first marathon hosting, and having to handle 2 streams at once, especially for the implied SF1 race that would go for nearly 6 hours. I hope all of you who wanted to race understand my decision. I'm sure we'll get to it next time. Smiley
Hello, I have finalized the schedule for SegaSpeed. There might be last minute changes, but this should be just about the final version.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17y_y7XKOYrw2bxy3vLC1X5BCeG_PU8eppnJuS_6sYJ0/edit#gid=0
I'm pretty sure I forgot to send in my Sonic 2 Knuckles offer, so I'm guessing that the run I'm doing is as Sonic, right?  I have since run as Knuckles in Calfire Relief 2 and could run as either character.  The estimate on the schedule fits Knuckles a little better (Sonic would be better at 25 if using 5-minute increments, though that's a tight estimate if things go wrong), but I have no preference between the two characters.  For the time being I'll assume Sonic.
If there's not much of a difference between either in terms of length, feel free to pick the character you are more comfortable with, or you think is a more interesting run!