--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Pokémon Diamond (Any %) (Single Segment) [Large-skip glitches]

Verifier Responses

Quote from CyberBotX:
A/V looked good to me, but I might not have been paying full attention to that. Anyways, no cheating detected. I'm not as familiar with the speed tradeoffs of certain moves, so I can't really comment on that. There were some minor movement mistakes, but I'd say that the overall glitch to skip the whole rest of the game makes up for a lot of that. Overall, I think the run was well done and I give it an accept.

Quote from jetfirexx:
The A/V of the standard encode is good but the audio is desynced on the HQ encoding. I timed the run to be roughly 1.05.02 from when the runner first has control over the character and ending when they get off the bike in the Hall of Fame.

The run itself is generally well executed with a couple minor movement errors such as in Eterna Gym but considering this is a DS game, this is not surprising. The runner got a couple unlucky damage rolls (Lass Briana's Patchirisu) where if the runner had gotten a better damage roll it would have been faster. The Large Skip Glitch was performed well and in general RNG was good. All in all its a great run and would happily accept it!

Quote from Vulajin:
A/V quality: watched on HQ quality, encode was good. I noticed a brief blip of yellow on the bottom screen during a double battle against two Abras, but I'm not sure if that's the encode or the game.
Cheating: well, he does skip like 75% of the game...

First, some notes about timing and console differences. In the Pokemon community, this category is timed starting from the soft reset after you've launched the game, and ending when you load the last save and bike upwards by one tile to enter the Hall of Fame cutscene. (To help IsraeliRD with the timing a bit: biking one tile takes 2 frames at 30 fps.) I believe part of the reason that timing starts from this point is that the RNG manipulation requires waiting a specific amount of time both before and after the soft reset. As such, runners use a starting offset on their timers to know how long to wait to soft reset, and then end the red Gyarados cutscene at a particular time after the timer starts. The timing by this method is 1:06:32. The wait until the Gyarados cutscene is about 1:26.3 on a DS, so the timing by SDA rules is around 1:05:06.

It should also be noted that the current fastest known time, 1:05:32 (using community timing rules), was performed on a 3DS. DS games like Pokemon are known to run slower (due to memory bus differences, we believe) on 3DS rather than DS. The time difference adds up the longer the run is, so for a run of this length it doesn't make as huge of a difference, but it's still worth noting for future time comparisons. (For example, this could be obsoleted someday by a "slower" run on 3DS since that run may actually only be slower by virtue of hardware differences.)

In general this run is a good first gen 4 run for SDA. I would have liked to see fewer movement errors, but having run gen 5 games myself, and watched a ton of gen 4 runs, I am aware how easy it is to flub movement in DS games. RNG was not ideal, particularly having 4 encounters at the start, but for the most part things went okay. Given what a short run this is, I'd love to see a "more perfect" submission down the line, but this run is a fine start.

Final verdict: accept, with the hope of seeing more gen 4 runs in the future. Smiley

Decision: Accept

Reason: There are some audio desync issues with certain players, if we can solve that this run is good to go

Congratulations to Lawrence 'playe' Palmiter!
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2014-08-03 04:14:55 pm
Grats, Playe!

I forgot to include this in my comment, but we had a question about the move selection on Lass Briana's Pachirisu (the one in the double battle that survives a crit with 1 HP). What's the rationale behind this battle plan? I looked at some of Pokefluke's runs for insight, but his runs use multiple distinct strategies themselves, so I wasn't really sure what the intent was there.

Also, the audio desync comment refers to issues that we observed when playing back the LQ and HQ encodes in the web player, or in Windows Media Player. I originally watched the HQ encode in VLC, and did not observe any desync. I noticed that this issue did not occur in your quality test encodes, so I'm curious if something changed between when you made the quality test and when you actually encoded the run?
<(^_^)>
pokemon :O
Wow guys, thanks for accepting my run! I'm sure that I'll get a better time in the future and submit it when I do.

Quote from Vulajin:
I forgot to include this in my comment, but we had a question about the move selection on Lass Briana's Pachirisu (the one in the double battle that survives a crit with 1 HP). What's the rationale behind this battle plan? I looked at some of Pokefluke's runs for insight, but his runs use multiple distinct strategies themselves, so I wasn't really sure what the intent was there.

If memory serves me right HP and Ember do about the same amount of damage on that Pachirisu, I use ember because it's just less text.(It also helps if you were in blaze) The critical not killing it was just being unlucky.

About the audio desync thing, I have no idea what's causing that problem with the LQ/HQ encodes. I'll try re-encoding it and see if that fixes it, if not I might just send the raw video file to Nate.
Sorry to necropost, but I just wanted to clarify something I put in my verification comments above. We recently discovered that gen 4 Pokemon games, including Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, do not run more slowly on 3DS than they do on DS. The speed difference only seems to occur when a DSi-enhanced game is played on a 3DS instead of a DS. For non-DSi-enhanced games, there is no known speed difference. Thus, Playe's run is directly comparable with Pokefluke's best run, and platform need not be considered for future submissions of this game.

Credit to GarfieldTheLightning for doing the work to clarify the speed differences.