Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2008-10-19 05:30:15 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/PokemonFireLeaf.html

Darren 'Ultimate Darius' Cornell's Single-segment run

Verifier responses

Quote:
An impressive run, no cheating, and lightning quick. The only room for improvement I could see would be reducing the amount of times the player bumps into walls or avoiding optional NPC encounters.

Quote:
Hey Mike,

I've watched the Fire Red run yesterday. Sometimes, the music would go faster then the actual gameplay. Now, there's a chance this is just because it's the verification file, but I thought it would be better to tell. The quality seemed fine.

On to the actual gameplay. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. I noticed a lot of mistakes. Small ones but mistakes nonetheless, not counting the things you can't possible forsee. The route itself was good and I understand that this game is hard to run in a single segment, especially when this was the fastest time yet. I've done single segments myself so I know the pressure.

All in all, I think it's a good run. Definitely worthy of SDA if you could say that. Smiley

Greetings,

A verifier

Quote:
I'm so sorry I never replied about my thoughts about the run. I never got a notification in my email about being a verifier and I've been so busy I haven't logged onto the site in a month!!

If my opinion still matters, I approve of the run. Darius was very lucky, but I doubt he cheated since he bought a lot of items he didn't need to use in the end. Besides running into walls a bit too much, this run was very well planned out. I approve it being on the front page.

Again I sincerely apologize. If there's anything I can do to make up for my tardiness, please let me know.

-Cory

There were also two verifiers who responded on IRC.

One said that the run was good and that he was impressed with how lucky the runner with his hits. He hit with a move that has a 85% hit rate every single time.

Another said this: he had a lot of movement errors, and he played way too carefully in points, and all those vitamins better have been worth it (I doubt it). and yeah, he bought a crapload of items at the end he didn't use.

Decision: Accepted

Reason: There was only one negative response, and the positive responses were pretty overwhelming. I figured posting the run wouldn't hurt since most of the responses would be positive, and so far, it looks like I'm correct.
Thread title:  
Back in the game!
Quote from mikwuyma:

Another said this: he had a lot of movement errors, and he played way too carefully in points, and all those vitamins better have been worth it (I doubt it). and yeah, he bought a crapload of items at the end he didn't use.

To this verifier:

I can't say anything to defend my movement errors.  They sucked.  I am not 100% sure what you're talking about with playing too carefully in points.  The main issue I would like to address is the vitamins.  There were several battles from that point until the end of the game that while testing, if I did not get vitamins, I was not able to one or 2HKO the opponent, and instead triggered a potion or full restore.  I thought that it would be more time efficient to not have to use as many/any x items in battle, as I not only would have to take an extra turn, but in some situations I would risk being KOed.  I haven't actually timed it, but for any battle where I do not have to go into my bag, select and use x-special, be attacked by the enemy pokemon, and only <b>then</b> be able to OHKO the enemy or enemies, and instead just be able to go into battle and OHKO them would have more than compensated for the vitamin collection and consumption.  An actual example is the loreli battle:  one less x attack was used because of vitamins.  There are several others, but I'd have to go re-watch the run to tell you which ones.

For the extra items issue, I had to take into consideration possibilities.  Being KOed, and needing to redo any x-powerups I used before.  Persim berry, against Misty so that the 30% chance of confusion from water pulse would cost me less time than switching out and another pokemon fainting and then calling wartortle back into battle.  Leppa berry for in battle blizzard restoration (ended up not needing it this time).  Last second decision on postponing surge (this one was my fault) is the reason I collected the sitrus berry.  What I was doing before is equipping it to wartortle, and then I had to rely on 2 mega punches connecting in a row against raichu, and hope that I either didn't get paralyzed by his static or his shock wave (30% chance from either physically hitting him, or from his electric attacks) or if I did that I was still able to attack.  The sitrus berry restored enough health to allow me to get hit by shock wave, punch him, restore health, get hit again without dying (in lieu of no critical hit) and punch him to death.  I got tired of failing runs at this point though, so i decided last minute to change it.  Lum berry was a hit or miss deal.  In case I ran out of awakening or paralyz heal or antidote or whatever.  The berries that healed those stats were reserved for key battles, but that didn't necessarily mean that they would get used, if sleep powder or whatever missed.  The full restores and everything else, it was simply easier/faster to tap the button once and buy as many as I could afford.

I hope that helped explain my actions a little bit.