--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Flip: 2013-03-20 09:29:07 pm
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Penumbra Requiem (Any %) (Segmented) (Easy)

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Kotti!

Run Information

Penumbra Requiem (Any %) (Segmented) (Easy)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/Penumbra%20Requiem

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by March 20, 2013.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Thread title:  
So no cheating, AV is good.

So this reminds you of Half-Life 2 for all the item hopping. The writing is two notches more confounding. The segment break comes right at the start to be able to skip the (kind of long) opening sequence so this is essentially a single-segment run of the game itself. The game has a timer by which the run can be timed, it is shown near the end.

The run feels good enough to accept with some nice speed strats and is sufficiently entertaining. Apparently the barrel in the doorway in the snowy level (Surface Station) was to prevent something from triggering. Can anybody figure it out?

ACCEPT
Edit history:
Kafou: 2013-03-08 05:45:08 am
I got a problem with the IQ version, image freezes after some time (in the sewer level) and never comes back (audio continues). I'm using Media Player Classic (which uses ffmpeg for decoding).

My memories of the game were much more vivid than I thought, I guess it's not that bad (I still don't understand why they kept the name "Penumbra" though, that's what made most people feel cheated).

Even more than with other games in the series, most of the actual gameplay is skipped by abusing the game's physics. That makes the run fun and pleasant to watch and, well, very fast. Everything was well planned and mostly well executed (some 10 seconds are lost to obvious but minor mistakes).

@LotBlind: I remember having to put the barrel in the doorway in my own playthrough, to prevent it from closing later (I don't exactly remember when, probably when power is restored). That's an intended move.

Accept
Edit history:
z1mb0bw4y: 2013-03-10 10:29:06 pm
z1mb0bw4y: 2013-03-10 10:27:30 pm
z1mb0bw4y: 2013-03-10 08:35:54 pm
Gets the cake.
As probably the one person who signed up to verify this, I've watched the run a couple of times and definitely like what I see. This particular runner already had his other run accepted, and this one deserves to go up beside it.

A/V good, no cheating, definite accept.

edit: For those who haven't played it, this game is a lot more… discontinuous than Black Plague, in that the levels are separated by portals and are generally unrelated to each other (other than being creepy).

This run is essentially single segment, as the first "segment" is just saving at the start of the first level so the runner doesn't have do watch the opening cutscene a billion times when resetting. Referring to this as a segmented run would, imo, be a bit of a mistake, as there are mess-ups in this run that could be ironed out by anyone taking the time to do it by segmenting on a level by level basis. Anyone who did that would obsolete this run, which would be unfortunate =/

1st level - Goes very well. Crushes the block and grabs a piece to jump up the ladder. Solves the first half of the puzzle and grabs a piece of the block to fly over the gap to the 2nd half. Hits the last trigger and exits via the portal.

2nd level - Flies over the gap to (if I recall correctly) avoid being damaged by the gas. Clips through the wall (never seen that before, very slick!) to the cafeteria area. Putting the tape in the machine causes the coke machine to move. Unfortunately the heavy block must be taken down the long hallway, which the runner navigates quickly. In the staircase, the runner gets teleported in a scripted sequence, then grabs the box and flies over a HUGE platforming section straight to the end of the level. VERY cool.

3rd level - Smashing the box like that was really nifty. Flying, as usual, solves everything. The flying before the 2nd key could have gone a bit better, but it's DIFFICULT to do properly without scripts or something like that. The flying to the end of the level also got messed up a bit, but it's again forgivable.

4th level - I HATED this one. Water monsters always freak me out in games. The runner grabs the first key and swims back out. From there the 2nd key and the exit are both a short fly away. This whole level looked very cool, and showcases how broken flying is, especially for those who have played this bit normally.

5th level - The runner has a bit of trouble with the piece of pipe, but items move so awkwardly in this game it can be forgiven. This level is pretty boring (both to run and to play) and it essentially amounts to dragging item A to slot A and item B to slot B, etc. The runner does use a barrel to block open a door to save some time. Nothing much else to say about this one.

6th level - GOD I hated this stupid ball. If I recall correctly, the ball returns to the spawn area if it touches any of those lasers, which is why the runner is so cautious. This room reminds me of the blast pit room in Half-Life 1. Flying during Red's speech is REALLY cool. That must have been annoying. The runner quickly collects the first two keys and flips a switch as he moves around the room. Flying directly down into the room with the cable/tube things was nifty.

6th level - This level is what makes this whole run beautiful. Nothing more needs to be said.

7th level - I remember being stuck on this level for ages, and I don't particularly remember the solution. Like the comments say, the runner gets caught in the air while flying, costing some time.

8th level - Taking more scenes from Half-Life, the water in this level is electrified, and you crawl through a lot of vents. As usual, flying breaks everything in horrifically beautiful ways. Shielding the blast by standing just a few steps back behind the wall support was clever.

Overall great run. If the runner decides to ever run it again, seeing it done in more segments would be pretty cool. As it stands there are probably about 20 seconds of detrimental mistakes that are noticeable, but seeing as how we don't currently have a run of this game (and the Engine level is BEAUTIFUL), I'm willing to overlook that and can easily vote to accept this.
The Dork Knight himself.
Audio and Video are great, although I had the same issue with the IQ file (video freezes, audio continues). No cheating from what I could tell.

There are a few areas of the game that aren't perfect even though it's a segmented run, but they're all pretty minor and are thanks to the lovely physics engine (which doesn't always play nicely). It's funny how much of the game can be skipped just by item-flying. It's obvious that the runner put a lot of work into this run.

Accept.
1-Up!
Just a reminder, there are only a couple of days left for this public verification. If you have any comments to post, please do so quickly!
Willing to teach you the impossible
Creepy game, amazing breaking (every time you picked up anything I was waiting for either jumping or clipping), and I decided that you solved no puzzle the intended way. Congrats. Easy accept.
1-Up!
Verdict Posted.