Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
SDAVerification: 2022-02-22 01:54:54 pm
SDAVerification: 2022-02-22 01:54:18 pm
SDAVerification: 2022-02-22 01:54:02 pm
SDAVerification: 2022-02-08 04:52:45 pm
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/NewAndTasty.html

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty! () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Hard] [Deaths] [Resets] [Large-skip glitches]

Decision: Accept Edit: Reject - After timing this run, it turned out to be slower than the currently published run.

Reason: There appears to be some discussion regarding the timing, so the decision assumes it comes out in favor of the new run. It's been noted that the run was recorded at half the game's framerate. It won't impact this decision, but a communication on this topic is being prepared.

Congratulations to Sam 'Samtastic' Locke!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty! () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Hard] [Deaths] [Resets] [Large-skip glitches]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/NewAndTasty-20220121/New%20%27n%27%20Tasty%20any%25%202006.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
A/V: The game runs natively at 60 FPS but the video is at 30 FPS. Otherwise very high quality.

Shame about Stewart!

So when you say "on an older version of New 'n' Tasty you can bind two keys together", does that refer to something you do in the in-game menu?

"I also figured out that you can start the timer from the door that Abe enters be restrarting chapter at The Boardroom as soon as the game saves there. Sure, this costs realtime but it's the IGT that matters."

You're talking about IGT again here... but as far as I can see, the last verification had some talk about this and I think IGT is not the way runs have been timed on SDA due to inaccuracies. So maybe what you did wasn't ideal for that timing method then.

I'll resume this verification when we've talked about the framerate thing. I can see you're struggling to record at 60 since you had to turn some graphics settings off. BTW: does the game have an option to lower the framerate to 30? That's not what's happening is it?
Oddworld Speedrun Master!
Quote from LotBlind:
A/V: The game runs natively at 60 FPS but the video is at 30 FPS. Otherwise very high quality.

Shame about Stewart!

So when you say "on an older version of New 'n' Tasty you can bind two keys together", does that refer to something you do in the in-game menu?

"I also figured out that you can start the timer from the door that Abe enters be restrarting chapter at The Boardroom as soon as the game saves there. Sure, this costs realtime but it's the IGT that matters."

You're talking about IGT again here... but as far as I can see, the last verification had some talk about this and I think IGT is not the way runs have been timed on SDA due to inaccuracies. So maybe what you did wasn't ideal for that timing method then.

I'll resume this verification when we've talked about the framerate thing. I can see you're struggling to record at 60 since you had to turn some graphics settings off. BTW: does the game have an option to lower the framerate to 30? That's not what's happening is it?

About the older version of New 'n' Tasty thing, you could edit a configuration file and you can set the restart checkpoint hotkey which makes Abe teleport. I set my restart checkcpoint hotkey to F and G as a combo. You can't change this in the text file in the latest version, but the key bindings still work. I saved the file and kept it on the Speedrun.com resource page.

2. No, the game doesn't give you the option to lower the framerate down to 30. For any% runs, I usually cap the game at 60fps for a certain trick to work correctly, the part in the Monsaic Lines when Abe runs over the wall. It only works consistently if you have it set at 60fps. Now Nvidia has an option in their GPU control pannel you can set the framerate to 60fps. 60fps is the default framerate for New 'n' Tasty. The original Abes run at 30fps. NnT runs at 60fps on the  PS4 version as well.
Okay, seeing as this game isn't ancient (and so you have to have decent hardware) and it's for the PC, the FPS policy seems to be there's some leeway in allowing 30 FPS even if the game runs at 60 FPS. Doesn't significantly lower the visual quality. If it was like 20, that would probably look choppy.

Config file edit: Just double-checked the rules and that also doesn't break any of them. In fact it says you should abuse that kind of stuff if you can, if you can rebind the keys through the in-game menus OR config files. The fact that you've copy-pasted a file from an older version of the game we can see as a gray area in this case, though in general you're not supposed to "mix and match" different patch versions. Good that you've provided the file to other runners too. Weird that they stopped allowing rebinding it actually.

14:11 - That's an interesting trick. So you just pause and unpause and it sends you right back through the same door? I see that happens again soon after.
17:32 - What's this stoppage?

Okay, finished watching. There's not a lot of mistakes. A few times teleporting too high up (unless there was some inscrutable reason you had to), a few deaths in the Boardroom. How much real time do you think you sacrificed to save IGT in the Boardroom btw?
Quote from LotBlind:
Okay, seeing as this game isn't ancient (and so you have to have decent hardware) and it's for the PC, the FPS policy seems to be there's some leeway in allowing 30 FPS even if the game runs at 60 FPS. Doesn't significantly lower the visual quality. If it was like 20, that would probably look choppy.

Config file edit: Just double-checked the rules and that also doesn't break any of them. In fact it says you should abuse that kind of stuff if you can, if you can rebind the keys through the in-game menus OR config files. The fact that you've copy-pasted a file from an older version of the game we can see as a gray area in this case, though in general you're not supposed to "mix and match" different patch versions. Good that you've provided the file to other runners too. Weird that they stopped allowing rebinding it actually.

14:11 - That's an interesting trick. So you just pause and unpause and it sends you right back through the same door? I see that happens again soon after.
17:32 - What's this stoppage?

Okay, finished watching. There's not a lot of mistakes. A few times teleporting too high up (unless there was some inscrutable reason you had to), a few deaths in the Boardroom. How much real time do you think you sacrificed to save IGT in the Boardroom btw?

The stoppage at 17:32, I was streaming lots of attempts that day. Was probably getting tired or something.

In response to your question about RTA, I lost about 4 RTA seconds. QuantumKris has said that he just learnt the route for this NnT category so he's gonna beat my record soon!
Okay, well even though you're technically losing the more precise real time, just 4 seconds isn't enough to make me wanna think about it, so... it's one of those unfortunate differences between SDA and SRC where it's convenience first.

accept this rather entertaining run
Edit history:
Samtastic: 2022-02-02 02:45:54 am
So QuantumKris says he can beat this run pretty easily and he can save over 40 seconds over my time thanks to a frame perfect skip in the Boardroom and he might submit his run to SDA. This run is gonna be beaten pretty quickly.
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2022-02-02 07:23:22 am
Okay, so in that case we'll accept this run but I'll tell Israeli not to time it just yet. We're happy to wait for that faster run as long as you are, but people can change their minds so at any point let us know if we should go ahead anyway.

EDIT: Looks like he already timed it (before it even passed verification lol) and the RTA time for this run is 20:06 FYI. At least this gives us a good comparison with Kris' run if he does indeed submit.
Quote from LotBlind:
Okay, so in that case we'll accept this run but I'll tell Israeli not to time it just yet. We're happy to wait for that faster run as long as you are, but people can change their minds so at any point let us know if we should go ahead anyway.

EDIT: Looks like he already timed it (before it even passed verification lol) and the RTA time for this run is 20:06 FYI. At least this gives us a good comparison with Kris' run if he does indeed submit.

Yep. I already prepared the final encodes for this run. It would be nice for another person to submit an Oddworld run to this site than just me.
I think Israeli mistakenly used the IGT in timing this run. He's usually very meticulous in what he does but AFAICS IGT is not supposed to be used with this one. Let's see if he re-times it or not.

Yeah, I obviously agree: the responsibility should ideally be shared. A lot of people don't see the point. I tried to summarize various reasons people might have to do it here in the first hidden.
QuamtumKris was having trouble with the save file to get the Scrabania skip to work but it's working for him now thanks to me sending his save file. Now this run is expected to be replaced with Quantumkris's run very soon. He said he can save over 40 seconds by doing a skip at  The Boardroom which I can't do, the Quantum cap hop trick.
Edit history:
Worn_Traveler: 2022-02-08 09:23:54 am
Formerly known as Skullboy
I timed the published run at 22:48 and this one at 22:54. My times are not official.  I started the timer when Abe hit the ground and stopped at the fade out from the Board Room after hitting the switch.

I might have messed something up. This could be a weird case where the IGT is lower but the real time is higher. Do we remove load times for this game?

I look forward to whatever else is submitted for this in the future.
Quote from Worn_Traveler:
I timed the published run at 22:48 and this one at 22:54. My times are not official.  I started the timer when Abe hit the ground and stopped at the fade out from the Board Room after hitting the switch.

I might have messed something up. This could be a weird case where the IGT is lower but the real time is higher. Do we remove load times for this game?

I look forward to whatever else is submitted for this in the future.

I think we do remove the load times the current time on the site is 21:31
Decision posted.