Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/AbesOddysee.html

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (pc) (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Large-skip glitches]

Decision: Reject

Reason: The current SDA-run in this category is faster, but had the cut scenes removed externally. When this was brought up, it was ruled out. The new submission has the cut scenes included, but has not been shown to otherwise have faster game play.

https://queue.speeddemosarchive.com/verificationfiles/2161/

This run will be available for a month. After that these link(s) will no longer work.
Thread title:  
Run Information

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (pc) (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Large-skip glitches]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/ao-v_HQ.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
Sweet Potato Fan Club
Solid run, just about everything went smoothly. I guess I don't know enough about this game to understand the very small optimizations, but the movement did look good.
I am a tad confused as to why this run (11:24) is replacing the 10:28 run listed on the site. Was there a change in timing?

A/V quality is good - Is there a chunk of a run that is included in the video prior to the actual run starting?

Accept - on the grounds that the timing is correct and should be a replacement to the run currently listed on the site.
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2018-06-26 12:24:45 pm
If you click on the run information link, it gives the explanation: we banned skipping cutscenes by deleting the files and based on what Samtastic has written, this seems to have also affected when the game's internal timer (what we go by) stops. Would have been great to get an estimate of how much time this loses so the actual execution/tricks improvement could also be gleaned.
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2018-07-07 09:38:27 am
Need to delete failed attempt, until 3:14.

To correct myself, this one doesn't seem to have an in-game timer. The old run was an 11:10 from first frame of control to first frame of end cutscene, but apparently when you remove loading times, you're left with 10:28, so 42 seconds off. This run is 11:24 based on the same timing, so assuming something like a 10:42. That's 14 seconds more. That's more than "a few" so I'm a bit confused. You can see cutscene skips in places like 0:07-0:08 where the sound stops for a split-second.

Sam, are you running on a slower PC or something? What causes the 14-second difference?

9:56 - This death has to be on purpose to end the dead Abe walking glitch temporarily right? Or is this where you lose the extra time?
EDIT: I checked the old run - it has the same exact death so it's on purpose I'm sure. Then what causes the difference?
Oddworld Speedrun Master!
Well

I had to re-do this run because the run submitted here in 2015 did not include the cutscene skips which makes the game run faster. No I am not running on a slower PC. There was one auto turn I didn’t do comparing to the 10:28 run because it’s risky.
You didn't exactly "have to" redo it. I'm sorry if that impression was passed. In cases like this we can usually just wait for the next run someone was going to do anyway.

Well I guess someone will have to watch the two runs side-by-side to figure out how this can be seemingly so much slower: would be easiest for you to do yourself Sam. Aren't you at all curious?
Ok - so should we accept or reject this run? Because the other run breaks the rules of running without cutscnes
Sam, were you trying to say that the one missing auto turn is what causes the rest of the time difference here?

From a pragmatic point of view, I think we should probably hold on to the old, faster run, because from a viewer's point of view, it's simply that much better... and it's understood based on the text on the game page what the small issue is. We obviously won't accept ANOTHER run like that. Perhaps we'll just wait until the next time the run can also be improved upon timewise?

Sorry for the hassle! At least you got some practice...
Quote from LotBlind:
Sam, were you trying to say that the one missing auto turn is what causes the rest of the time difference here?

Ok - I am happy with this decision.

From a pragmatic point of view, I think we should probably hold on to the old, faster run, because from a viewer's point of view, it's simply that much better... and it's understood based on the text on the game page what the small issue is. We obviously won't accept ANOTHER run like that. Perhaps we'll just wait until the next time the run can also be improved upon timewise?

Sorry for the hassle! At least you got some practice...

IOKok. i AM HAPPY
Decision posted.