Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/AbesOddysee.html

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (ntscus) (psx) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Large-skip glitches]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Sam 'Samtastic' Locke!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (ntscus) (psx) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Large-skip glitches]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/oddysee-v_HQ.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.
Borderlands 2 Glitch Hunter/ router.
A/V: Good
Cheating: None
Gameplay: Very good, few slips but nothing worth crying over, Bad ending is Bad, sad and ... mad?.

Accept
a/v: looks to have something on the bottom and along the right edge. Wonder if that should be cropped or what... the game graphics extend that far though.
Also 13:30 - the final cutscene has another visual problem.

5:30 - what's the deal with these bees? if the runner could explain plz.
Edit history:
Samtastic: 2016-08-11 03:23:49 am
Samtastic: 2016-08-11 01:27:12 am
Samtastic: 2016-08-11 01:23:34 am
Oddworld Speedrun Master!
Quote from LotBlind:
a/v: looks to have something on the bottom and along the right edge. Wonder if that should be cropped or what... the game graphics extend that far though.
Also 13:30 - the final cutscene has another visual problem.
5:30 - what's the deal with these bees? if the runner could explain plz.

With the bees for a consistent way on getting the glitch to work: I have to walk in and out of the screen. Otherwise the chance of getting the glitch to work is random.
and the glitch does... what?
Quote from LotBlind:
and the glitch does... what?

It triggerrs the invinicbility glitch so that Abe can roll into the mines and skip Paramonia and Scrabania.
Okay, I felt I had to ask about that as a verifier. Feel free to write about any such non-obvious things in comments. Many people write comments for one run and just update them and copy into new runs as need be.

accept
Just quickly dropping in to say that comments have been added to this submission.
Can't see them... Looks like the file type might be undefined?
I'm not sure which file format they're in, but they open fine for me in the standard text viewers. Anyways, this is what they say:

Quote:
This is my first ever console-based single segment speedrun of Oddworld; Abe's Oddysee done on the PS1 version of the game. It was played on an NTSC PS2 Slim with the fast disc speed option on and recorded with a Dazzle DVC100.

The run is very similar to my PC version of the run but struggles with some of the backwards jumps but completes the game with a 13:16 RTA time with loads. The in-game time which is shown after saving on the memory card is 0:09:36.
This run involves performing an invinciblity glitch. Here is what happens and who discovered it:
Basically a new glitch discovered by Sligfantry allowed me to single segment this game and overall my moves were very solid and sleek. I really need to thank Sligfantry here for the discovery of the skip. Thanks a lot Sligfantry! The new skip involves the death delay glitch with the bees in the Monsaic Lines. We can now skip Paramonia and Scrabania altogether! Instead of just jumping to get the DDG to work, you can trigger it by sneaking! Just slide into the bees after walking in and out of the screen, get attacked and then when they fly away, position yourself so that Abe is facing left, wait three seconds, sneak three steps and the let go of sneak! Then the next part of the puzzle was finding out how to lower Abe down to the screen below the high ledge after running past the native Mudokon. This is where Sligfantry came in! He was able to set up an auto turn delay using the bees which enabled Abe to perform a backwards jump. The fastest way to do it as discovered by Dooty is to roll three tiles and after the third one, quickly press left and Abe will jump backwards! Abe is able to move on, softly climbing down ledges. Abe can also jump over a mine on the screen with the Sligs and the mines and with that, it made the run a lot easier! The invisible section was hard but I could still hear his footsteps and that was the only clue I had when I was invisible!

It will be difficult to do every backwards jump in one go on the console version. The bad ending cutscenes are shown after completing the game.

I hope you enjoyed my run. Any questions? You can contact me on the SDA forums.
TBH I could tell the controls weren't as tight as on the PC based on the kinds of little mistakes we see.

That's very useful for comments! I'm sure you were going to write them eventually for the publication. The main thing for verification is, although a verifier will have a hard time understanding what's going on with glitches and tricks sometimes, at least they can clearly see what's intentional, what isn't. Also it helps whoever writes the front page update later on.

still accept Cheesy
Edit history:
Samtastic: 2016-08-14 03:54:04 am
Samtastic: 2016-08-14 03:53:50 am
On a side note this should not replace the current best time on the SDA game page as this is a console run. Console and PC runs should be separate from each other. So when this run gets published, this should be: 'Best time on the Playstation version' and my 10:28 run would be 'Best time on the PC version'.
Decision posted.