Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
SDAVerification: 2014-08-19 11:59:07 pm
UraniumAnchor: 2014-08-07 09:55:35 pm
UraniumAnchor: 2014-08-01 09:40:16 am
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

O.D.T. (Any %) (Segmented) (Easy)

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Dan 'DanE' Söderhäll!
Thread title:  
Run Information

O.D.T. (Any %) (Segmented) (Easy)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/odt/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by Aug. 6, 2014.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
I never heard of this game before and would normally avoid verifying it but since there is no one yet verifying I might as well give it a try. I'm thinking the controls are going be factor in the run because of the old PS1 controls as mentioned in the runner's comments. will give my verdict asap. will watch the videos without knowing much as well getting that PS1 nostalgia feel. Cheesy
Why does the run come with multiple videos, if it's a single segment run?
< ^ > < ^ >
Quote from djcj:

Agreed. They all seem to be set / started / clipped at the loading screens, too. Is this just how the footage was edited? Quite odd, if you ask me. Just wondering. Thank you, all!
Quote from djcj:

That's because it's not a SS run, it's segmented. It's just been labeled wrong.
Not a walrus
There was nothing on the submission to indicate that (maybe there was in the game page comments, but puwexil generally doesn't read those), but I'll fix it. I assume 13 segments since that's how many videos there are.
this maybe a lame question with an obvious answer but how important are collecting upgrades when they are scattered around? would later enemies and bosses kill you easily without the upgrades? I doubt every upgrade collected is necessary to complete the game. so does anyone have a clue?
Fjölpärsk
Quote from J.Y:
Quote from djcj:

That's because it's not a SS run, it's segmented. It's just been labeled wrong.

Correct. I may have typed it in wrong when I sent in the run for verification, but I pointed that out a couple of weeks before it landed here in pub verification (though it does not look like that request was recognized until know). Segmented is correct and nothing else.

Quote from Soliduz Znake:
this maybe a lame question with an obvious answer but how important are collecting upgrades when they are scattered around? would later enemies and bosses kill you easily without the upgrades? I doubt every upgrade collected is necessary to complete the game. so does anyone have a clue?

All upgrades are important to collect. Not because enemies will easily take care of you without them, but for the fact that it will take ages to kill some bosses (especially the last one). Going through the game without collecting any powerup at all might be possible, but it would not be a fun run to watch since it would take much more time to complete the game without them.
Edit history:
Soliduz Znake: 2014-08-03 02:46:49 pm
Soliduz Znake: 2014-08-02 05:58:12 pm
Soliduz Znake: 2014-08-02 05:57:21 pm
A/V: good
cheating: none
I am leaning towards an Accept but since it is a segmented run there are mistakes that I am not sure if added up they make a difference or not at all. I will quote from the runner's comments on those points I noticed.

Level 3:
"Initially I broke the glass, cast the Shield spell and stood close to the enemy so that he burned to death and released the key, but upon discovering that destroying the equipment in the next room causes the tank to drain and the bluish bugger to collapse right away I changed the route slightly. The good thing about this is that you also save some mana which is quite rare to stumble upon contrary to ammo."

if the runner took the original route without the "blue bugger to collapse right away" would it make a difference in saving time compared to the deviated route?

Level 5:
"The stupid jump after the third lever was done by mistake but other than that everything went fine."

I am assuming it is a very minute mistake but thought it should be mentioned still.

Level 6:
"One thing that's mentionable here is that you can jump on top of the fire from the crates blocking it, grab the key and teleport back to the savepoint, thus removing the need for the wrench. Unfortunately, this costs a couple of seconds in comparison to the standard route."

an avoidable minor time lost.....I guess?!

"The waterwheel piece which you are supposed to break off from the first wheel and push to the second wheel can get caught in mid air or on a enemy, which happens regularly. If this occurs it's basically game over since it takes too much time to correct. Sometimes it's not even possible to pursue ahead since it won't budge at all. Eliminating the fish-like enemy who swims around in the canal is therefore highly important."

if let us say after couple of retries you did manage to take that risk without the second wheel getting stuck would it be a time saver? again I not sure about this one so apologies if it doe not count.

I am still undecided on accept or reject so needs some clarification....maybe?!

Accept

Fjölpärsk
Level 3:
if the runner took the original route without the "blue bugger to collapse right away" would it make a difference in saving time compared to the deviated route?

Basically, no. If you kill an enemy with flames (either by flame ammo or the Shield spell), they will fall to the ground and burn for a couple of seconds before they drop an item. It still takes a couple of seconds to kill them as well with this method and with all of that taken in consideration it is not faster.

Level 5:
"The stupid jump after the third lever was done by mistake but other than that everything went fine."

I am assuming it is a very minute mistake but thought it should be mentioned still.

That particular segment is 10 min long and that mistake costs less than one second. I mentioned it in the run comments briefly just in case any one wondered that happened there, but I do think that you're being pretty fuzzy about that to be honest.

Level 6:
"One thing that's mentionable here is that you can jump on top of the fire from the crates blocking it, grab the key and teleport back to the savepoint, thus removing the need for the wrench. Unfortunately, this costs a couple of seconds in comparison to the standard route."

an avoidable minor time lost.....I guess?!

Let me refrase that: you can skip the wrench completly if you climb the crates that's next to the fire and jump on top and over the fire. If you do this you need to teleport your way back to the last checkpoint since it's impossible to get out the same way as you came.  The last checkpoint in this case is where you start the segment. Since that checkpoint is far away it costs some time though, which is unfortunate.

The "standard route" I'm referring to is the one I use in the run, which is the intended way of getting past that section of the level (i.e. get the wrench --> use the wrench on the water cannon --> put out the fire --> grab key and open the gate behind the water cannon).

"The waterwheel piece which you are supposed to break off from the first wheel and push to the second wheel can get caught in mid air or on a enemy, which happens regularly. If this occurs it's basically game over since it takes too much time to correct. Sometimes it's not even possible to pursue ahead since it won't budge at all. Eliminating the fish-like enemy who swims around in the canal is therefore highly important."

if let us say after couple of retries you did manage to take that risk without the second wheel getting stuck would it be a time saver? again I not sure about this one so apologies if it doe not count.

No, it would not be a time saver. The fish-like thing will attack you if you decide to just run around him and start working on the waterwheel. As stated before, the wheel piece may also get stuck on him as well so letting him live is not an option.
Not a walrus
Could I get some more discussion on this one? Only got one real response.
Edit history:
Worn_Traveler: 2014-08-19 04:10:17 pm
Worn_Traveler: 2014-08-19 01:25:37 pm
Formerly known as Skullboy
A/V is fine. No cheating detected.

I've never played this game. I remember reading about it in gaming magazines back around 1997-1998 though.

The run looks pretty solid. Routing and movement is consistent. The bosses don't stand much of a chance. Good use of segmentation.

I accept this run for publication. I guess the only question is whether each character is its own category. Also, maybe I missed it, but what are those green lines on the ground that make sound when you run over them?
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2014-08-19 12:04:24 pm
LotBlind: 2014-08-16 01:01:01 pm
First of all thanks for the extensive run comments! It was much easier to appreciate the game and the run with those.

Yeah that blind crane jump looks pretty sick.

Seems like a thought-out and nicely performed run.

accept
Decision posted.
Fjölpärsk
Thanks verifiers! I never thought I would have to defend this run as much as I did to be honest Wink Also apologies to Soliduz if my responses to your questions seemed a bit harsh, that was not my intention at all.
Edit history:
Soliduz Znake: 2014-08-22 07:25:28 am
its all cool there was nothing harsh in your response, completely the opposite I got the answers very clearly for a layman like me in this game Tongue
Fjölpärsk
Quote from Worn_Traveler:
Maybe I missed it, but what are those green lines on the ground that make sound when you run over them?

Sorry for late reply here, but those things are checkpoints. Sometimes the game will display "Checkpoint" in the bottom half of the screen when you cross one, other times you get no indication what so ever apart from the sound.