1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page:

Mortal Kombat II (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
video & audio quality: good / vhs transfer
cheating: no

gameplay: Not much to say, billion times played this game my self. The runner had use 'shang tsung' and had use on every opponent a morph with special moves and fatalitys. It is good, but not so good, because the only problem is, the runner had use 'very easy' mode. I mean this is a small fighting game and I know to the end it is very hard, but 'very easy' mode, not sure. Sometimes the medal dragons are wrong, so in the fight from reptile and scorpion, but this is normal, no problem.

verdict: accept, but discreet, can be easily improve

timing: I had time start from you hear the first time 'fight' and end frame is the last hit on shao kahn in round 2.
12min 57sec

Quote:
A/V is good, no cheating that I am aware of.

I really like this run from an entertainment stand point, but some fights (Rayden round 2, Scorpion round 2, Kintaro round 2) were all HUGE time losses due to either execution or bad AI. 17, 11, 13 seconds between each fight, I think that gap is too large. Some of it can be excused because of how the time was lost. But I cant think of anything for that Rayden round 2...

That said, 3 out of 14 fights were bad, 11 of 14 were good. I would really like to see this run be improved. It can be. It is a short run after all.  I will pass this off with a weak accept. The over all quality of play is there, just a few issues. Showing the player skills with almost every fighter makes this good as well.

Timing for this games was chosen as time spent in each round (game clock). I got it at 8:12 final time.

Quote:
Immediately I was surprised when I saw the player choose Shang Tsung. IMO the fastest character seems like Kitana, jump kick + fan twice and they're basically dead. Especially since he used her against Kintaro anyway. If you get it perfect, you can finish a round with 90+ seconds remaining. Now, I wouldn't expect that everytime because the AI can be a jerk. But he doesn't get any rounds faster than 88. His average round is an 81.43. On very easy, I'd expect to see faster wins than that.

It's definitely not the fastest decision to transform into every character that he fights against. Sure, it may make the run more interesting to watch, but this isn't tasvideos. The primary goal here is speed, and I felt like that was a secondary concern. As the first two verifiers said, it feels like it wouldn't take much effort to improve this run. It's not good enough as it stands now.

Also, I hate to see fatalities. If you time this run like a normal game from start to finish, then that by itself is worthy of an auto-reject. Otherwise, I also get 8:12 in game seconds for each fight. Here's the round by round times remaining:

86-86
86-85
85-83
87-85
81-88
82-86
82-86
81-82
81-82
87-76
87-70
85-78
72-58
75-78

Decision: Reject

Quote:
a/v good!
no cheating that i can see

After watching this run i knew instantly that it can be improved, for example what was mention.. using the kitana strat seems to be alot quicker. also the round 2 scorpion, round 2 rayden and round 2 kintaro as verifyer 2 mention.  i agree with what everyone says cause i to have played alot of this game..and i think its worth it if the runner keeps trying for a better time.  im with the weak accept but would like to see more attempts from the runner and test out more strats.  i will add that i got for time RTA 12:56 but it really shouldn't be classified as an RTA concidering the fatalities and flawless fictories (its just to much time spent) and the in game timers are all obvious.  overall the player is good giving him an accept, but a try for a RTA would be well worth it.

I asked IsraeliRD about timing for this game. As it turns out, the in-game timer is inconsistent. This means that this run would be timed manually. As it is, the run isn't optimized for manual timing (fatalities). Unfortunately I'm sure the runner didn't know this and this is one of those scenarios where there's not much more I can say. I hope you resubmit.

Decision: Reject

Reason: See above.

This run will be available for a month. After that this link will no longer work.
http://queue.speeddemosarchive.com/queue/verificationfiles/193/
Thread title:  
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Just curious, but could there be some elaboration on why the in-game timer is inconsistent? I haven't played this game in ages, but I don't remember the timer doing anything strange...
Probably the battle timer isn't 1:1 with real time. Its why you can't use game time for old games like castlevania and ninja gaiden where 1s realtime is 1.33 ticks of the game timer or something.
1-Up!
IsraeliRD can elaborate, but something to do with lag.
Edit history:
zallard1: 2012-10-10 10:06:19 pm
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Quote from Hsanrb:
Probably the battle timer isn't 1:1 with real time. Its why you can't use game time for old games like castlevania and ninja gaiden where 1s realtime is 1.33 ticks of the game timer or something.

I don't think the timer being 1:1 with real time would matter since there are plenty of runs on SDA already that use in-game timers that are nowhere near accurate to real time, but they are consistent for comparisons with other runs.

Quote from Flip:
IsraeliRD can elaborate, but something to do with lag.

Hm, alright; lag seems like a valid reason.
Edit history:
IsraeliRD: 2012-10-10 10:21:33 pm
IsraeliRD: 2012-10-10 10:21:00 pm
Dragon Power Supreme
It was lag. I did a number of tests and found that the number counted down incosistently. It would decrease by one every 33, 34 or 35 frames (could be more) and then I timed the actual first three fights. For consistency I timed the timer from the frame it hits 98 to the first frame it hit 86. The first 4 fights had 1 frame difference (although the timer decreased again by different frames) but the fifth/sixth fights had 25 frames (which is almost a full ingame second!) difference. I suspected this was due to possible lag, so I could not rely on it.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Well that sucks.  Had I known, I would have done this differently.  Oh well.  Sorry guys, won't be re-doing this.  I'm in the middle of a state to state move and won't be running for a while.  Undecided  Get it while it's hot.
Edit history:
InsipidMuckyWater: 2012-10-16 11:32:20 pm
InsipidMuckyWater: 2012-10-16 10:25:04 pm
InsipidMuckyWater: 2012-10-16 10:24:45 pm
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Lol the fatalities bite back.  Don't worry, I won't say it.  Wink  Sadly it sounds like they would've been fine but for the inaccurate timer.

Downloading now, can't wait.  I hope you resubmit after the move.  And yeah, state to state moves suck.  I'm about to go across the country again myself.  ugh

EDIT:  Holy shit that run was awesome.  Aside from maybe the second rounds on Rayden and Kintaro.  But playing as each character and using their own fatalities ... nice touch.                    Fantastic.
1-Up!
Yes I will definitely agree that this run is very entertaining to watch. Sucks that a technicality brought it down but there's not much we can do about it. Definitely recommend a download.
I AM FUCKED ANGRY
Technicality problem for the snes version ? Or technicality problem of wrong capture ?
I do not really understand and I will not write anything when I do not know what exactly is the problem for 'technicality'. The only what I know that is, the snes version is the only version which running on 24bit with twox8bit in and out with mode-7. Non of any other version has this components. Is that mean the snes version is general rejected ?
questions overall Smiley
Not a walrus
Did you even read the thread? It's pretty clear in the initial post why the run was rejected.
I AM FUCKED ANGRY
The run was reject of the fatalities, that I do understand. But I do not understand

->  IsraeliRD - As it turns out, the in-game timer is inconsistent. This means that this run would be timed manually. As it is, the run isn't optimized for manual timing (fatalities).

and Flip means -> Sucks that a technicality brought it down.
Not a walrus
The technicality is that the in-game time can't be used and the runner didn't realize this, because the run is good other than the wasted realtime.

At least that's how I'm reading it.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Yes UA.  @ Morty, had the run been timed by adding up the rounds, which was the initial way, this would be accepted.  But since the timer is not 100% reliable, it has to be manually timed from start to finish.  So the fatalities are a waste of real time causing the reject. 
LG
same with flawless victories, also a time waster